Menu

Help Me Interpret These Reading Test Scores - (X Posted to General Ed)

CLUSTER / Subtest

Standard Score

Percentile Rank

Qualitative Description

READING

58th

Average

BROAD READING

90th

High Average

BASIC READING SKILLS

50th

Average

READING FLUENCY

96th

Superior

Letter-Word Identification

55th

Average

Word Attack

42nd

Average

Passage Comprehension

61st

Average

Oral Reading

73rd

Average

Sentence Reading Fluency

98th

Very Superior

These are my 9th grader's Woodcock Johnson test scores. Here are the descriptions from the report:

The Reading cluster is a measure of reading achievement, including reading decoding and the ability to comprehend connected text while reading. The cluster is a combination of Letter Word Identification (reading a list of words aloud) and Passage Comprehension (using syntactic and semantic cues to identify the missing words in a text). 

Broad Reading is a comprehensive measure of reading achievement, including oral sight-word reading skills (Letter Word Identification), silent reading comprehension speed (Passage Comprehension), and the ability to comprehend passages while reading silently (Sentence Reading Fluency)

Basic Reading Skills is an aggregate measure of sight vocabulary, phonics, and a structural analysis that provides a measure of basic reading skills. This cluster is a combination of Letter Word Identification and Word Attack

Reading Fluency is a combined measure of Oral Reading skills and the ability to quickly read and comprehend sentences silently (i.e., Sentence Reading Fluency). 

The psychologist who did the educational testing didn't say much about these scores. I, however, am concerned about the giant gaps in percentiles between some of the areas. What might these gaps mean?

Edited by JumpyTheFrog

• JumpyTheFrog changed the title to Help Me Interpret These Reading Test Scores - (X Posted to General Ed)

I think those scores are more meaningful if you compare them with an aptitude test like WISC. The gaps are less that 30, so nothing jumps out to me except your dc did really well in reading fluency—Otherwise is average to above average. 

• Like 1

Everything looks solid to me. Did you get any cognitive testing done? What you want to look for are unexpected difficulties, so if the FSIQ is 100 (average) and reading scores were mostly between 100-115 but something like Passage Comprehension was 75, that would be a concern. Or if the FSIQ was 100 and most of the reading subtests were in the 80's, that would want me to do more testing too. Also, looking at the cognitive scores, you want to see a relatively even set of scores. If everything is between 100-110 (as an example) it means that everything is relatively even. But if everything is between 100-110 but Working Memory is in the 60's, that's a red flag for a learning disability.

• Like 1