Menu

Help me replace window treatment to move closer to selling our house

sheryl

Posted (edited)

DH and I are finally "doing" things to sell our house.  We will buy another within a 5 mile radius because of dh's work, otherwise I'd like to move to the mountains (Ap mtns, Smoky Mtns, etc) or another state.  

Anyway, on our window is an outdated custom pinch pleat on a traverse rod.  I'm going to replace with inexpensive curtain panel but am hung up on style which will dictate rod.  I know the "trend" has been no window treatments but I "NEED" to have a window treatment for this our living room as we live in the south and this window has southwest exposure.  It gets hot on these hot, sunny Charlotte days and more so in the spring, summer.  The sun pours in and our house.  

To update a bit, what would you suggest?  Need to be able to buy these at Target, Walmart, BBB or find preowned.  Just do not want to invest much money in this window as we're spending a bit already to update our house (painters are literally here now painting the house exterior) because we are updating to sell and new owners might prefer no window treatment.  It would be ideal to find a curtain solution that would easily allow us to slip curtains on/off when there is a showing unless our realtor says just keep them up.

I'm leaning towards:  Tie top, tab top, eyelet, tempo wave.  Which one would you suggest is quick, easy, updated/fresh, versatile?  Or, is there another one you'd recommend?

Below are ones I've found on internet.  I had no idea there were so many because, frankly, you don't see many of these.

box pleat
rod pocket
pinch pleat
eyelet 
tailored pleat 
goblet
traverse rod
ripple fold
inverted pleat
grommet/ring
cubicle
single pleat
tie top
pencil pleat
duo pleat
eyelets
tempo wave
slot top 
tab top
single panel
back tab

Edited by sheryl

• sheryl changed the title to Help me replace window treatment to move closer to selling our house

Why not just go with insulated cellular blinds? You can close them during the day (some open from top and bottom, giving you options depending on the sun) and still get daylight, plus they are modern and streamlined. 

Personally one of the first things I would do as buyer I would be to remove any curtains. They are just too fussy for modern homes and lifestyles. But maybe it doesn’t matter what curtains you use if you are going to remove them before showing anyway?

• Like 4

Make it easy. Walk into Bed Bath and Beyond, pick something, buy a rod, done. Their stuff is pretty and it's mainstream. Anything they have will be just fine. The store I was just in last week had just remodeled and their curtain section was excellent. So as long as your store is actually stocked, you're likely to find something that works.

I agree with asking the realtor first what needs to be done. Everything I'm hearing is houses go quickly. The buyers may not care.

• Like 2

I like eyelet/grommet style. I like to open all my curtains during the day and the metal rings make the curtains slide easy to open and they get out of the way the most. 

Tap top is ok but they don't fold back as much as rings. 

I don't like tie top because it adds visual clutter to me.

Wave curtains seem like more than you want to invest and again....would take up more room when they are pushed back.

Honestly, unless you current ones are dirty, I would just leave them and not worry about replacing them. Most people will want to replace what you put up anyways due to color/style differences. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

Why not just go with insulated cellular blinds? You can close them during the day (some open from top and bottom, giving you options depending on the sun) and still get daylight, plus they are modern and streamlined. 

Personally one of the first things I would do as buyer I would be to remove any curtains. They are just too fussy for modern homes and lifestyles. But maybe it doesn’t matter what curtains you use if you are going to remove them before showing anyway?

MEmama, love that idea.  Let me ask, do they have one that performs both - open top down AND bottom up?  Is that what you were saying above?  I definitely see doing this in our next house, but blinds are expensive.  I just need an inexpensive fix to help sell house.

2 hours ago, Sherry in OH said:

Ummm.  Have you consulted a real estate agent?  In my area, the curtains you have would be fine.   You also wouldn't need to paint or do any updating.  Houses are selling in days. 

If you must have something, I'd so with temporary paper shades.

Yes.  We were on this track a few years ago and had to suspend the idea.  Now we're able to pursue it, moving.  We were told the first time that the curtains needed to go.  Temporary paper shades.  Huh, I've seen those.  Thanks for the link.  Will look at this!  

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Make it easy. Walk into Bed Bath and Beyond, pick something, buy a rod, done. Their stuff is pretty and it's mainstream. Anything they have will be just fine. The store I was just in last week had just remodeled and their curtain section was excellent. So as long as your store is actually stocked, you're likely to find something that works.

I agree with asking the realtor first what needs to be done. Everything I'm hearing is houses go quickly. The buyers may not care.

Peter Pan, YES!  I agree.  In fact, I just bought something there a few minutes ago.  Will go back and look again.  I just have a hard time knowing what's "in".  

2 hours ago, Tap said:

I like eyelet/grommet style. I like to open all my curtains during the day and the metal rings make the curtains slide easy to open and they get out of the way the most. 

Tap top is ok but they don't fold back as much as rings. 

I don't like tie top because it adds visual clutter to me.

Wave curtains seem like more than you want to invest and again....would take up more room when they are pushed back.

Honestly, unless you current ones are dirty, I would just leave them and not worry about replacing them. Most people will want to replace what you put up anyways due to color/style differences. 

Your reasoning is appreciated!  I had not considered those conditions but they make total sense to me.  

Well, these curtains are VERY dated (colors).  They do not go with our new wall color.  I figured inexpensive white or ecru and that will be good!  Do you have 2 panels?  Our living room window is approx 100" wide, I think.  Close to that.  So, 2 panels I'm assuming.  The curtains up now is a floral pattern.  It was very pretty when we had them made.  But, it is a busy pattern for "today" when people are entertaining a more minimalistic approach to home decor/decorating. 

memama, sherry, ppan, tap - I like all of your suggestions.  My sister also said she only uses blinds.

1 minute ago, sheryl said:

What color rod should I buy?  
Curtains - white or ecru (if available)?

Yes, there are cellular blinds that open both from top and bottom. I agree they would be expensive to purchase if you are going to leave, though. 

Rod color—what are your other fixtures (ceiling lights/ fans etc) made from? They don’t necessary have to match, but it would be a place to start. Our rods are stainless but fixtures aren’t and it looks nice.

Yes to warm neutral curtains. Clean and simple. 🙂 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What is your ceiling height? If painters are there, this is the time to remove current rod, patch holes, and hang the new one close to the ceiling for longer drapes. Adds height to the room. If it were me, I’d also add inexpensive natural woven shades. Something like this.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

If I were trying to update a house to sell, I would go to IKEA for rods and curtains. In fact, that’s what the owners of this house did. Their stuff is inexpensive and classic. I would buy their ecru color stuff. You want the house to feel cozy, open and bright. Selling a house is an emotional thing—you want buyers to have positive emotions and see themselves in your home. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MEmama said:

Yes, there are cellular blinds that open both from top and bottom. I agree they would be expensive to purchase if you are going to leave, though. 

Rod color—what are your other fixtures (ceiling lights/ fans etc) made from? They don’t necessary have to match, but it would be a place to start. Our rods are stainless but fixtures aren’t and it looks nice.

Yes to warm neutral curtains. Clean and simple. 🙂 

Thanks for the clarification on the blinds! Love that idea!!!!!!!!  Will consider for next house.  Light mocha colored walls and bronze lamps that need to be replaced.  I'm holding off buying some furniture until we after we've moved.  Our sofa is an eyesore and will need a slipcover.  Was going to put a muted white slipcover on it, add some pillows and buy the curtain panels.  Ecru slipcover and curtains or white for both?  HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

1 hour ago, popmom said:

What is your ceiling height? If painters are there, this is the time to remove current rod, patch holes, and hang the new one close to the ceiling for longer drapes. Adds height to the room. If it were me, I’d also add inexpensive natural woven shades. Something like this.

Ceiling height is typical 8 ft in this era home - late 60's.  That's a good idea but this is exterior painting.   See, our sofa sits up against this 105" or so window that's in 3 sections so I'd have to buy and manipulate at 3 points.  I need to start a list for our next house so will add your link first!

1 hour ago, popmom said:

I think a simple black/iron look would be pretty versatile. 

Here they are using a white rod that looks really nice, too.

Well, the walls are a light mocha color.  Maybe I should go with ecru curtains and a bronze or black rod, not white.   But, I'm not the greatest decorator.

Edited by sheryl
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

If I were trying to update a house to sell, I would go to IKEA for rods and curtains. In fact, that’s what the owners of this house did. Their stuff is inexpensive and classic. I would buy their ecru color stuff. You want the house to feel cozy, open and bright. Selling a house is an emotional thing—you want buyers to have positive emotions and see themselves in your home. 

IKEA - good idea there, too!  We have one here.  Ecru and not white for slipcover and curtains to go with light mocha colored walls?  I will add some toss pillows of browns, ecrus and blue/greens on the sofa.  That should be presentable against our hardwood floors.

40 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Forgot to add, if you have cool toned paint—white curtains. 🙂 My off white suggestion was for warm toned paint colors. 🙂 

See above! 🙂