Menu

Good shoes for being on your feet a lot

Emba

I just got a part time job at a restaurant. It’s only three days a week, for to five hours each day. I’m on my feet nearly the whole time, and though there are mats in most of the places we stand, my feet hurt at the end of the day. My shoes are Ryka walking shoes, which have decent arch support, or a pair of Keen hiking boots, which have excellent arch support but are heavy and I don’t like the high top over my ankle. Also they make my feet sweat more. I also have a pair of Keen tennis shoes which have sadly very little arch support. I had to buy separate insoles for those, and now they are comfortable, but the insoles slip a little and are not my preferred it took.

What shoes have you guys found to be good for being on your feet for long periods of time? I need arch support and I like a wide toe box. I’d say I’m comfortable paying up to $150. Bonus points for something that looks good, and not like an old lady shoe. I like obnoxiously bright tennis shoes, but I’m open to non-tennis shoe styles.

1 hour ago, Ali in OR said:

If they let you wear running shoes, those were my go-to's when I had plantar fasciitis. Birkenstock Arizonas were good too, but I imagine you need closed toe shoes.

Yeah, running shoes are fine. It’s BBQ restaurant that serves the meat on brown paper on a tray, and our uniforms are jeans and a logo tee, so very casual. Basically all the guidance on dress code we are given is no yoga pants and no booty shorts. My Ryka shoes are tennis shoes but they’re not quite doing it for me; I might just have to go and try on lots of tennis shoes until I find a pair with better support. I used to have a pair of Reeboks that were great.

14 minutes ago, Emba said:

Yeah, running shoes are fine. It’s BBQ restaurant that serves the meat on brown paper on a tray, and our uniforms are jeans and a logo tee, so very casual. Basically all the guidance on dress code we are given is no yoga pants and no booty shorts. My Ryka shoes are tennis shoes but they’re not quite doing it for me; I might just have to go and try on lots of tennis shoes until I find a pair with better support. I used to have a pair of Reeboks that were great.

Running shoes are comfortable for running.  You need shoes that are comfortable for standing.  Chef shoes or nurse shoes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, happi duck said:

Is non-slip a consideration?  If you're often working at not slipping that can effect feet and legs.

I’m not working at not-slipping often. That said, during cleanup I’m walking on freshly mopped floors so non-slip is still probably a good idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

New Balance has an industrial line. DS has two pairs of those he rotates between, and they keep his feet and legs happy.

I had thought of new balance. my dad swears by them.

• Like 1

I always pay attention to these shoe threads when they pop up because I need a good shoe for being on my feet all day as well. Ever since I learned about FitFlops (on these boards), I have never been without a pair. They have styles that are more than just the flip flop type. I love them.

• Like 1

I wear my ASICS Gel Kayanos with prescription orthotics for everything. 

Maybe a different insole for your tennis shoes? My sister likes Birkenstock inserts. Or maybe you need a sneaker with more structure and support. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bibiche said:

Doc Martens are good (for me) for being on my feet all day. Ditto clogs. Ditto Famolares

Famolares! I had a pair back in junior high. Just loved those shoes.

Most Hoka running shoes have very thick soles. I own four pair and they are all springy and comfy. Some people with plantar fasciitis swear by them.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

Famolares! I had a pair back in junior high. Just loved those shoes.

Yes, they’re back! And so fun and crazy comfortable. The owner/inventor died within the past decade and the company was resurrected by a woman entrepreneur. I love them.

• Like 1

I know people who LOVE their Merrells for stuff like this. 
I have been disappointed in my Vionics running/walking shoes. 

My vote goes to Dansko or Alegria . Alegria is my personal fave because it just fits me better.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Altra Torins.  Very cushy, with a wide toe box but not so wide heel.  Amazing to wear—I am totally hooked.

I've been wearing these for years. They are IMO hands down the best shoes for being on your feet for long hours. The original torins were my favorites. I have several different Altras now, but the Torin Plush are my current favorites. They are light, flat, with a wide toe box and super cushy.

• Like 1

I tend to agree with the nurse/chef shoes or Altra suggestions above. (Altra are zero drop so unless used to that you should work into it gradually and for $150 ish you can probably get a pair of Torin on sale and a chef clog both).  
here’s also another option (I have used clogs and flip flops from this company):

OOFOS Women's OOmg Shoe - Post Exercise Active Recovery Footwear Plantar Fasciatis & Impact Absorbing Orthopedic Foot & Heel Pain Relief Sneaker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071VGQMJY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_2HHK0JJYCCY6F2KYW9ZS

New grad nurse here. I am on my feet for 12+ hour shifts. I have tried every shoe under the sun and the best I have found so far is the Hoka One One Bondi. I have arthritis in my back and I am on my third pair. They are my ride or die.

Eta: comparing the Hokas with another shoe recommended to give you an idea. I have high arches and need a lot of cushioning otherwise everything goes to my back. So, Hokas give me exactly what I want. All other shoes just don't have a lot of cushioning or the cushioning poops out pretty quickly (looking at you, Skechers Go Walk yoga mat shoes).

https://thewiredrunner.com/altra-vs-hoka/

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, SDMomof3 said:

Superfeet insoles. Dh walks 10 miles per day and Superfeet insoles are his go to, you can use them in almost any type of shoe. 

My friend's brother is a podiatrist and highly recommends them - I think the green ones.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 5/25/2021 at 11:28 AM, RootAnn said:

DD thought these (like nurse/chef) shoes were much better than everything else she had when doing her 8-10 hrs a day on her feet job:

Sketchers work sure track - Trickel

Several members of my family have the Sketchers non-slip works shoes and love them. They are lightweight, comfortable and cool. Very cushy insoles.