Menu

Parenting is fun

Mrs Tiggywinkle

My daughter, who is almost 9, bought $156.52 of in app game purchases this morning on her kindle. She figured out how to out maneuver parental controls disallowing in app purchases. 
My 11 year old is having his third autistic meltdown of the evening, all because I told him I’d turned down extended school year/summer school for him and apparently now, today only, he loves school and wants to go.
My 6-year-old flooded the bathroom while I was on the phone with Amazon getting the charges reversed because he decided he needed a bath.

DH just left for a 39 hour shift at work.

Send wine. 

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Like 2
  • Sad 36

2 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I have total commiseration with you.  The other day, one kid ruined (through no fault of her own) a pan that was part of an expensive set that was given to me for Christmas.  Last night, DD10 threw up all over the bathroom floor....which I now know has the worst grout job known to man by a previous owner.  And DS8 spilled Sprite all over his bedroom floor and didn't tell me.  Which is odd because he doesn't drink Sprite and I don't buy it but he had the can from my mom's to do an experiment.....which was supposed to be done in the kitchen. 

Parenting is fun!🤪🙄🤬

Solidarity.

I sent everyone to bed early. I have a migraine now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

5 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Solidarity.

Glad you sent them to bed early, that was my advice.

Wine, chocolate, headache meds, and veg on tv.  

I hope they wake up in better moods.   I am glad you were able to reverse the charges!  Oh  my

• Like 2

For the 9 yo with the kindle, it may be some time without wifi access (which you can lock down with the parental controls) will help her figure out how not to make in-app purchases.

Sorry about the bathroom, ugh. Are you leaving the fan on?

The summer school thing may be fixable. 

This is why I don't drink. Except pomegranate juice and occasional real ginger ale. Do you like root beer floats? Really premium ice cream? If you buy 4 quarts and polish them between the 3 of you, it might solve something. It's one of my fine parenting tips. Make sure you like all the flavors and eat right out of the carton (all 4!) until it's all better. You may have a sugar hangover tomorrow, but it will be worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

29 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Do you like root beer floats? Really premium ice cream? If you buy 4 quarts and polish them between the 3 of you, it might solve something. It's one of my fine parenting tips. Make sure you like all the flavors and eat right out of the carton (all 4!) until it's all better. You may have a sugar hangover tomorrow, but it will be worth it. 

Based on this alone,  we could be best friends.    I like the way you think (and parent).

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Sending you lots of gentle hugs.   When days like this happen one of my firsts thoughts is "this wasn't covered in those stupid new parents classes".   Here's hoping tomorrow is loads easier and that your migraine is gone.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

then ate chocolate ice cream by the lake.

You're one upping me. I've never done this. May need to try. :biggrin:  Did it work? The nice thing is, you walked to the location and back, which meant you burnt off all the calories, making that ice cream entirely calorie/guilt free! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hagendaz ice cream bars would be less messy. Did you really take a half gallon of ice cream to a lake? Or just a pint like Ben & Jerry's? LOL 

We have this park trail with a sort of creekish water feature and a bridge. I'm pretty sure there is a bench so I could try this. Just figuring out logistics.

I think ds would have all the ice cream bars eaten before we even got to the park, lol.

Edited by PeterPan

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Hagendaz ice cream bars would be less messy. Did you really take a half gallon of ice cream to a lake? Or just a pint like Ben & Jerry's? LOL 

We have this park trail with a sort of creekish water feature and a bridge. I'm pretty sure there is a bench so I could try this. Just figuring out logistics.

I think ds would have all the ice cream bars eaten before we even got to the park, lol.

I drove lol.  But we live about six blocks away from the end of one of the Fingerlakes.
There’s a Walmart on the way. I stopped in and got one of those small Ben and Jerry’s pints and ate that at a picnic table by the lake.

• Like 13

On 5/23/2021 at 4:33 PM, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Solidarity.

I am glad you were able to get them to bed and hope your migraine went away quickly.

A funny from my sister in law.  When her 2 girls were being difficult when they were young, she would change the clock forward and tell them it was bed time to get them to sleep earlier. Haha. My kids would have never been able to fall asleep early like that but it seemed to work for her. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Welp, next time we're having one of those days around here, I have a new game plan. Pack everyone in car. Run to store for ice cream. Drive to nearby park or lake. Eat all of the ice cream. I think a "no leftovers" rule would be appropriate. Then let the kids run it off. 

If possible, I'd do the ice cream thing by myself, but that's tougher if DH is working.

OP, I hope things are much better by now. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, barnwife said:

Welp, next time we're having one of those days around here, I have a new game plan. Pack everyone in car. Run to store for ice cream. Drive to nearby park or lake. Eat all of the ice cream. I think a "no leftovers" rule would be appropriate. Then let the kids run it off. 

If possible, I'd do the ice cream thing by myself, but that's tougher if DH is working.

OP, I hope things are much better by now. 

About three other things went bad and DH decided it was wisest to take tonight off work and come home. 😂😂

Also apparently vacuum cleaners can catch on fire. Who knew.

• Sad 20

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

About three other things went bad and DH decided it was wisest to take tonight off work and come home. 😂😂

Blah...I hope things start turning around soon. Do you at least get a new vacuum out of this? Please just tell me yes. Vacuumming is my favorite chore. I can not overstate how much I love it. Back in my college dorm days, I'd check out the vacuum from the front desk, and go around asking to vacuum other rooms. That's how much I love it. Sadly, for this anyway, we live in an all tile house. So a measly stick vac works well. And, while it's okay, it's just not the same as a "real" vac.

So please just tell me you get a new vacuum and I will live vicariously through you. Or perhaps you hate it, and will use this as an excuse to not vacuum for a long time because it's so dangerous. I mean, it could start on fire at any moment!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, barnwife said:

Blah...I hope things start turning around soon. Do you at least get a new vacuum out of this? Please just tell me yes. Vacuumming is my favorite chore. I can not overstate how much I love it. Back in my college dorm days, I'd check out the vacuum from the front desk, and go around asking to vacuum other rooms. That's how much I love it. Sadly, for this anyway, we live in an all tile house. So a measly stick vac works well. And, while it's okay, it's just not the same as a "real" vac.

So please just tell me you get a new vacuum and I will live vicariously through you. Or perhaps you hate it, and will use this as an excuse to not vacuum for a long time because it's so dangerous. I mean, it could start on fire at any moment!

I got a new vacuum cleaner and Chinese for dinner.  Apparently my husband decided that asking me to make dinner tonight might send us all over the edge.

• Like 10
  • Sad 2

56 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I got a new vacuum cleaner and Chinese for dinner.  Apparently my husband decided that asking me to make dinner tonight might send us all over the edge.

Maybe he was afraid that with this string of bad luck, the stove might catch fire!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JumpyTheFrog said:

Maybe he was afraid that with this string of bad luck, the stove might catch fire!

That's my guess.

I hope things turn around.  They almost have to!  Way to go on getting through it.  Much❤️ to your dh.  Oh, my goodness, my love language is helps, and he would have gotten a lot of mileage on that decision to come home in my house.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

A new vacuum! (That really, truly is the way to my heart. And DH will never be able to take advantage of that.) Picture me swooning over here. I hope you at least like Chinese food. 

I wish you beautiful weather and a day that's completely uneventful!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, barnwife said:

If you're really sneaky, you can buy the $1.50 Kroger brand stuff for the kids and the good stuff for yourself. Ask me how I know. :biggrin: Seriously, my ds doesn't care as long as it looks like ice cream. Cheap stuff, he eats it all. 

• Like 1

Ugh I’m so sorry.  I did know vacuum cleaners could catch fire because my mum in law vacuumed up a spider, then decided to bug spray it and turn the vacuum back on.  If you’re lucky you might be able to get the app money back - we put in a thing through Apple I think saying the kids had bought something unintentionally and they refunded but it was a few years ago.  

Really hope today is going better for you!

7 hours ago, barnwife said:

I have a very nice vacuum.  If you come to my house I will let you use it for free.  You can use it all over my house.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I have a very nice vacuum.  If you come to my house I will let you use it for free.  You can use it all over my house.

I...I...would do this. As long as I don't have to pick up the floor first, I would gladly vacuum for other people. I have long since accepted that other people are weird and don't think vacuuming is fun and relaxing. I will never understand that point of view. Sadly, the drive probably precludes me doing this.

11 minutes ago, barnwife said:

I...I...would do this. As long as I don't have to pick up the floor first, I would gladly vacuum for other people. I have long since accepted that other people are weird and don't think vacuuming is fun and relaxing. I will never understand that point of view. Sadly, the drive probably precludes me doing this.

I find vacuuming really relaxing.  I love seeing the vacuum lines on the carpet lol.

I also think shampooing the carpet is very relaxing and I enjoy it a lot.  There are entire TikTok channels dedicated to just watching people wash carpets.  They have a lot of followers, so must be I share my weirdness with a lot of people. 

16 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Similar story here. When ds was young and small, he was vacuuming the living room area rug. I heard a huge ZAP kinda noise and the abrupt end to the vacuuming. I ran into the living room and saw the cord lying broken on the rug. It smelled terrible and there was actually a singe mark. 😳 I asked ds what happened. He said he was vacuuming and he “pulled hard” and “there was blue.” He waved his arm vaguely at the air when he said this. All in a rush I realized he had tried to pull the vacuum too hard where the cord would not reach and the cord had snapped. (Tangled or caught on furniture or something like that—I honestly don’t remember.) The sound and the smell and the “blue” were from electricity arcing for a split second from the cord. 😱

I literally dropped to my knees and thanked God out loud for keeping ds safe.