Menu

Random questions: a let's-distract-MercyA poll

MercyA

Random-y randomness  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever wear tie-dye clothing?

• All the time.
    • Once in a while.
    • I would if I owned some.
    • Nope, not my thing.
  2. 2. Do you ever see rabbits eating grass and think "silflay?"

• Of course!
    • Huh?
  3. 3. Did you pretend to smoke candy cigarettes or cigars in your childhood?

• Yes! Good fun. :)
    • No, but I ate them.
    • I've never heard of such a thing! What were parents / candy manufacturers / stores thinking?!?
    • No, I preferred other treats.
    • No, I had no access to them.
    • No, I am way younger than you and that was before my time.
    • No, my parents didn't allow them.

I have terrible cramps. Like, I want to lay in bed all day and might throw up cramps. I've been popping NSAID's like candy.

I like polls. There is no particular significance to these questions. They were just three out of the first four questions that popped in my head. The poll limits me to three, alas.

Have random questions you want to see in a poll in the future? Leave them in your comments and I'll make more polls later!!!  🙂 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Just the other day, I was just telling my kids about the candy and bubblegum cigarettes we used to buy at the dime store.

And along those same lines, the pretend doctor’s kit I got for my fourth birthday which contained a bottle of “pills” made out of candy. Not the smartest idea, but those were different times!

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

I would like to be a person who wears tie-dye clothing. I love that hippie vibe when I see it on other people. However, I just look ridiculous in it so I stick to my more plain clothing. 

Candy cigs were so fun. I grew up around smokers and would copy their way of holding the smoke, etc. FWIW, I have smoked exactly 2 cigarettes in my entire life.  In high school a friend and I bought a pack of Virginia Slims from a machine at a gas station, smoked a couple, felt sick, then drove around in her parents' car with the windows all open to get the smell out (I bet it didn't). Good times. 

I had to google silflay.  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

As far as I recall I mostly just ate the candy cigs, but I do remember pretending g to smoke them at a fancy cafe in Nice when I was 9. I’m sure I thought I was fooling everyone with how well I fit in with all the well dressed French women actually smoking, lol. So cringe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Can you send someone to the health-food store for some red raspberry leaf tea?  Must be real leaf, and not flavored.  It works like a charm to cure cramps.  It will curdle milk, but you can add sweetener (although it's already pretty sweet on its own).

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure the neighbor kids gave me the candy cigarettes.  It isn't something my parents would've bought.  Not just the "cigarette" issue, but they didn't have money to spend on random candy.  

Dd said yesterday that we should all be wearing tie-dye.  This was during the cargo pant discussion. BTW, if you missed that, per artsy 21yo college student, cargos are quite the thing and skinny jeans went out of style a while back. Also, long jean shorts are cool, like, practically-down-to-your-knees (I told her I'd just keep wearing my capris and eventually the world will catch up with me).

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I have a pair of tie dyed crocs that are my go to shoes, because I have no shame!  

DS wears his hot pink crocs in public. When we got vaccinated a sweet older volunteer commented on them and was delighted to hear it’s his favorite color. They both walked away feeling happy. I’ll bet your tie dye crocs make someone’s day, too! 🙂 

• Like 5

I remember two kinds of candy cigarettes.  One was a bubblegum wrapped in paper, and when you blew through it a powder came out like smoke.  The other was a thin candy stick that was pink in the middle with a white outer layer, and they came in boxes like cigarettes.

• Like 5

Just now, Farrar said:

It's hilarious that the most resounding answer to the candy cigarettes questions is that we all partook.

They were weirdly not tasty at all. Just sticks of sugar essentially.

The ones I remember were wintergreen flavored.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Yes, those were the candy ones!

Here are the bubblegum ones:

https://www.amazon.com/World-Confections-Bubble-Cigarettes-Piece/dp/B005OKVO38

Edited by Amy in NH
  • Like 5

My sister and I got candy cigarettes in our Halloween haul every year.  They were always one of my favorite candies.  We didn't smoke them, though.  My dad was a former smoker and he would have never tolerated us pretending to smoke.

• Like 3

I think... there was one of those old cigarette vending machines at the Piggly Wiggly when I was little and ONE of the choices was the candy cigarettes. The rest were real cigarettes. I seem to remember asking for a parent to buy them from the machine.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Wow. 

I was 11 when we came to Canada, so I think I missed it all 😉 . 

They never went away, just got less popular. We used to get them in our Hallowe'en candy.  The tips were coloured red, to look like they were lit.

I do remember the chatter about the name change.

• Like 1

I figured the rabbit question was from Watership Down, but it's been too long since I've read it to be sure.

Sometimes my siblings and I would buy a haul of candy with allowance money, and I remember candy cigarettes. My mother disapproved of them, though, so I think I only had them a few times. I did pretend to smoke; it being the 70s, smoking was much more prevalent, though not in my family.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marbel said:

I would like to be a person who wears tie-dye clothing. I love that hippie vibe when I see it on other people. However, I just look ridiculous in it so I stick to my more plain clothing. 

Wait...you're supposed to look GOOD in tie dye?! I thought it was the type of thing where you are embracing the brightness and fun and sacrificing your dignity.

Source: looks ridiculous in tie dye but wears it anyway 😛 

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, carriede said:

I also chewed "tobacco" gum.

Yes! Big League Chew. But the candy cigarettes and bubble gum cigars (which came in blue, pink, and yellow, perfect for baby congrats) were much cheaper at our local dime store. Happy memories.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marbel said:

Same!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, katilac said:

Candy cigarettes are backed, labeled as 'candy sticks' 😅

Yes, and dye-free, too, since they are white (but not vegan--they contain beef gelatin, of all things). They're not as long as the old-fashioned ones, probably by design, but I'm willing to bet kids still "smoke" them!

3 hours ago, Amy in NH said:

Can you send someone to the health-food store for some red raspberry leaf tea?  Must be real leaf, and not flavored.  It works like a charm to cure cramps.  It will curdle milk, but you can add sweetener (although it's already pretty sweet on its own).

I will order some from Whole Foods and see if I can have it delivered tomorrow. Thank you! 

ETA: It will be delivered to my little town, 40 minutes away, tonight. Free delivery (with $35 order). Thank you, Whole Foods! 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Yes! Big League Chew. But the candy cigarettes and bubble gum cigars (which came in blue, pink, and yellow, perfect for baby congrats) were much cheaper at our local dime store. Happy memories.

I remember that!  But didn't ever clue in (until right now!) that it was modeled on chewing tobacco.  In my defense, I had no IRL exposure to chewing tobacco as a kid, (or adult, really) and wasn't much exposed to baseball either.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

I remember the tiny wax cola bottles with different colored sweet liquid inside. And big red wax lips. And the yummy orange slices with sugar that no longer taste anything like the vintage ones.

I bought the wax lips! Such a weird thing. I just googled it and supposedly the wax was meant to be chewed like gum after the fun of wearing them. I don't remember doing that. I do remember taking a few tentative nibbles before tossing them, LOL. 

Loved those orange slices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlsdMama said:

No on the tie- dye, yes on the rabbits, lol, though I love/hate the book, and absolutely on the candy cigarettes AND on beef jerky chewing tobacco! (What were they thinking?!) Ugh- sorry on the cramps!

Spoiler, highlight to read:

I love the book. Hate the end. Would have been near perfect without the last chapter, IMO.

II don't remember the beef jerky, but it totally doesn't surprise me. More realistic than pink bubblegum shreds!

9 minutes ago, wathe said:

I remember that!  But didn't ever clue in (until right now!) that it was modeled on chewing tobacco.  In my defense, I had no IRL exposure to chewing tobacco as a kid, (or adult, really) and wasn't much exposed to baseball either.

You are not alone! I was probably in my 20's before I realized what it was modeled on! I just thought, oh, baseball players chew huge wads of gum. 😆

smoked candy cigarettes, ate tobacco gum (seriously, CAN you chew that stuff?). Maybe that's why I smoked menthol cigarettes? Which sound really gross right now. I remember one of the reasons I quit smoking was because I was sick of asking for my cigarette brand  - Benson & Hedges Deluxe Ultra Light Menthol 100s. 

Wear tye-dye, but more muted colors. Had a wonderful black/tan/white tye-dye shirt which I was just thinking about the other day, not sure if it's still packed in a box somewhere. Old Navy has some more muted tye-dye, I bought a pinkish/cream shirt for summer. 

Never read Watership Down. 

• Like 1