Menu

Early Modern World and American History

I have searched the forums but I cannot find what I am looking for.  I am looking for secular books to do Early Modern World and American History that is not liberal or conservative but middle of the road.  If anybody has any good suggestions, I would appreciate them.  Thank you!

I picked up Ways of the World for modern world history. I have not used it yet nor put together lessons. It may be something to consider as you are reviewing texts. It spans all of world history, but we are going to skip to the 1500s to start. I was able to find older editions at very reasonable prices.

• Like 2

Ways of the World is recommended on here by at least a couple of boardies for world history.

If you are looking for Western Civ, we started using A History of Western Society and that's been okay for us. We are covering early modern next year, but we are supplementing with primary sources.

We used part of K12's American Odyssey for American history. 

• Like 1

For American history, Pandia Press has History Odyssey.  Level 3 is high school level.  I don't know much about the high school level, but it is secular.  Hopefully, someone else can chime in about this program.

If it is anything like it's middle school program, it provides a guideline of what to do and read.  Also, should come with a list of historical fiction books to read.  Hope this helps.

We did contemporary world history and geography with Human Odyssey 3 (which is 1900 forward), 6-7 modern biographies (Madeline Albright, Trevor Noah, Melinda Gates, Condoleezza Rice, Chris Hatfield, etc...) and Memoria Press Geography 3. (Not everything MP is secular, but if it's something like geography at their charter site, it's usually a safe bet). If I had it to do again, for my particular visual kiddo, I might have done Mapping the World with Art. If you did something similar with an American History textbook you could supplement with international biographies maybe?

I have American Odyssey, and we might use it with the Annenburg videos. It could hit the right notes for what you want. (We might do American History DE, although Dd reads a lot of history so she might just read it anyhow.)

Another book to look at is What You Should Know About Politics but Don't. It's sort of a history of the issues book. Dd says it's dense and maddingly neutral.

Dd is also doing this course on contemporary issues which you could use for a global flavor and then work on American History for the rest of the year.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MamaSprout said:

Dd is also doing this course on contemporary issues which you could use for a global flavor and then work on American History for the rest of the year.

Thanks for mentioning this! I'm planning to do current events in the '22-'23 school year and this course would component it very nicely!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BJCole said:

Where do most people sell their used textbooks if I wanted to buy some?  I do not see much for sale on the classifieds here.

Most of the books on this thread I won't be selling for years. Mostly I sell on Facebook but I have sometimes sold on Homeschool Classifieds.  Otherwise, many of us buy used on the various book selling sites like Amazon, Abebooks, Thriftbooks, Better World Books, etc.  If you have an ISBN, you can use a site like booksprice to search for the best price for the condition you are looking for.  

I normally recommend Ways of the World for world history, but I don't think it would be as good if you were to jump into it in the middle, though it would still be plenty good!  I believe that there is a two volume version and the second volume would probably serve your needs.  

We really liked K12's American Odyssey as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, BJCole said:

I found the table of contents for "American Odyssey", but I cannot find a sample.  Can anyone tell me if it has assessments at the end of the chapters?

It doesn't if you just use the textbook. I don't know what all is included if you do the whole course from K12. We have used American Odyssey and liked it. We also have used and liked the Great Courses lectures History of the United States. For output we do a few selected lessons from Critical Thinking in US History

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using this as a spine for Renaissance and Early Modern but not focusing too much on US History. It's definitely at a challenging level. I'm using the original version and It's not part of a curriculum (it doesn't have lesson or assessment guidance). But there is a more concise high school version used in some AP classrooms with more pedagogical tools.

A History of Modern Europe: From the Renaissance to the Present, 3rd Edition https://smile.amazon.com/dp/0393934330/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_2JJGM5QCC3319T6X2AVK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by theelfqueen