Menu

As someone with terrible handwriting

Eos

I love Zaner-Bloser cursive!  My dc all learned it, and people used to comment on what lovely handwriting they had.  Now, they mostly print, but they can still do a decent job in cursive when they need to.  More importantly, IMHO, they can read cursive.  I've met a number of otherwise educated young people who can't, and I find that rather sad.  

• Like 3

My daughter went to high school after being homeschooled K-8.  The homeschoolers could identify one another because they were the only students who wrote in cursive. 🤣 When she told me this story, I misunderstood and thought she meant they identified each other by Handwriting Without Tears script, because it was pretty popular when she was learning to write.  It turns out that that she meant proficiency in cursive was a big indicator as to who had been homeschooled in their elementary years.

• Like 5

My oldest has GORGEOUS handwriting.  He started perfect print before school age, then had some cursive instruction in public school, but not to the degree that I had years ago. He perfected that while homeschooled. By perfected, I mean his own style, not a specific program style. It’s lovely.

Getting my dds through HWOT did actually cause some tears!  They are somewhat functional in that department. Mostly legible, mostly able to read it. When I took one of them to do their working papers, the secretary at the school showed her where she needed to sign. Being a paranoid mom/homeschooler, I reminded my kid that that meant cursive. The secretary looked up and was like, ”You know cursive?!?”  At. The. School. That’s when I realized it really was dying.

My 10 and 14yos? I’m still trying to get them to improve their printing! I tried skipping them to cursive and we still dabble, but it feels hopeless. No matter how much practice we did/do do, they kinda suck at it. 

Oldest didn’t communicate electronically for many, many years.
The next two didn’t until they had at least *started writing.
The last two were born with keyboards. 

As for me, keyboards have definitely taken a toll on my handwriting.  If I want someone else to be able to read it,  I have to make a conscious effort to be neat. Even then, dh will sometimes complain that he can’t make something out. But that’s messed up because his is worse. 😛 

It does make me feel like a bit of a homeschooling failure. I wouldn’t say the fact that other kids haven’t had any instruction makes me feel okay about it, but it helps, lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

My oldest has GORGEOUS handwriting.  He started perfect print before school age, then had some cursive instruction in public school, but not to the degree that I had years ago. He perfected that while homeschooled. By perfected, I mean his own style, not a specific program style. It’s lovely.

I would like to see it! 🙂