Menu

Buy a new printer or not?

Janeway

I have a Brother printer that you all recommended and it is great. But this past year, when I used TGTB LA, I found it ate up the ink. Everyone on TGTB recommends Epson Ecotank. Because of the ink costs, I ended up just ordering the books printed. They are only about $30 a book. We just read the readers off the ipads unless I can get the readers from the used bookstore. Even if I bought the books (printed from the publisher) for every level for my younger two children through 5th grade, that is only 8 books, which means $240 plus shipping. The Epson printer was on sale for $279 at Costco. At Costco, it dawned on me that I might be wasting my money and I should just stick with the Brother printer and continue to order the books pre-printed from TGTB. What do you all think?

Also..I posted this on another board and just have not gotten any feedback yet so I thought I would post here.

I have started buying pre-printed books also, in most cases.  If I already own a digital file, and I only need the occasional page, I will print still.  My heavy duty Brother printer died this past year, and I replaced it with an HP color printer.  I love it, but printer ink is expensive and hard to find.  I'm also tired of having to deal with the logistics of printing and binding everything.  I'd rather throw the money at the publisher anyway. I'm grateful for their products and the ease with which they can come to my door.

9 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

.  I love it, but printer ink is expensive and hard to find.

We bought four black laser cartridges before COVID-19 and I am thankful that is one less item to worry about.

I also prefer to buy preprinted books. My kids prefer them. 

OP,

I would just buy the preprinted books to save the hassle. I would only get another printer if you need a heavy duty and fast monochrome laser printer. 

I also just purchase the printed books.  I might have chosen differently if I was going to use them for all of my children, so I would have the PDF file, but I'm just doing TGTB with my younger two.  For me, it's just not worth the hassle of printing.