Menu

People with IBS and getting COVID vaccine

crazyforlatin

I have an older family member who has IBS usually triggered by anything new in her system. The latest was coconut related.

She doesn’t want the vaccine due to reading online that IBS could be worsened by the vaccine.

For those with IBS issues, did the vaccine cause an IBS problem? How long did it last? 

FWIW, she also believed at one point, as read online, that the vaccine would cause infertility. So I don’t know if IBS is a legitimate side effect. Her previous flu shots have not gone that well, not allergic to them, but just slight fever, pain, and overall cruddy feeling.

I'm hoping she can get one dose of Pfizer (supply is more than demand now in our area). 

32 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have IBS.  I did not have any IBS symptoms as a result of the vaccine (Pfizer).  I had a sore arm which I used as much as possible.  I also had a possible low grade fever with the first dose but not the second.  I had some fatigue. 

I do vaguely remember you mentioning this on the other thread but couldn’t recall whether you did experience IBS or not. Thanks for letting me know, this is really going to help.

• Like 1

I have IBS. The only thing I noted in that regard was that on the third day after the second dose of Pfizer I had quite a lot of fairly intense cramping. I can't say for sure that it was related to the vaccine, but I did note it on the V-Safe app. It started quickly and seemed to stop quickly, and lasted for about 15 hours.

• Thanks 1

I have not been diagnosed with IBS but I do have chronic gastro issues. I had no GI symptoms at all after either Pfizer shot. I did have exhaustion and muscle/joint aches for a couple days with the first shot. The second shot was much better—just some low-level tiredness and mild achiness for a day.

• Thanks 1