Menu

LOE and spelling

ca06c

I have a recently turned 6 year old Kindergartner that is reading at a 3rd grade level. She's always had phonics instruction but at some point just took off with reading far outpacing the level of instruction and I've been trying to play catch up all this year to make sure there are no gaps. She has a really great memory and I fear she is leaning on it more than she is on her phonetic skills. We did OPGTR up till about section 8 and stopped because it got to be too dry for us. We moved on to TGTB Level 1 and that was better received but the integrated spelling was not a great fit so after completing Unit 2 we hopped on over to LOE Foundations. We started at B as suggested, breezed through it in a week and a half, and are not almost half way through C. 

I have reservations about the order the phonograms are introduced. It makes little difference for us since we're mostly reviewing but it does make me think that perhaps I wouldn't use this with beginning readers. Namely, I feel it introduces silent e, -ing, and, -ed notably later than the other curriculums. That aside, the spelling is better integrated here than in TGTB, and she loves spelling analysis but I'm not convinced it's enough in the way of spelling instruction. 

Worth noting, we do not use the writing, comprehension, or grammar aspects of LOE because she has good penmanship and we have FLL and WWE on the schedule for first grade. So, we're essentially just using the phonics, readers, and spelling. The readers being far below her reading level. I have read a lot of good things about AAS and I think I want to pursue it for first grade but then it bears the question, if I'm not using LOE for all these other components what is left? Are the many moving pieces and cost worth it if it's just straight phonics? Cost isn't really a concern so much as time. Would AAR be more efficient at this point?

6 minutes ago, ca06c said:

I have a recently turned 6 year old Kindergartner that is reading at a 3rd grade level. She's always had phonics instruction but at some point just took off with reading far outpacing the level of instruction and I've been trying to play catch up all this year to make sure there are no gaps. She has a really great memory and I fear she is leaning on it more than she is on her phonetic skills. We did OPGTR up till about section 8 and stopped because it got to be too dry for us. We moved on to TGTB Level 1 and that was better received but the integrated spelling was not a great fit so after completing Unit 2 we hopped on over to LOE Foundations. We started at B as suggested, breezed through it in a week and a half, and are not almost half way through C.

I have reservations about the order the phonograms are introduced. It makes little difference for us since we're mostly reviewing but it does make me think that perhaps I wouldn't use this with beginning readers. Namely, I feel it introduces silent e, -ing, and, -ed notably later than the other curriculums. That aside, the spelling is better integrated here than in TGTB, and she loves spelling analysis but I'm not convinced it's enough in the way of spelling instruction. 

Worth noting, we do not use the writing, comprehension, or grammar aspects of LOE because she has good penmanship and we have FLL and WWE on the schedule for first grade. So, we're essentially just using the phonics, readers, and spelling. The readers being far below her reading level. I have read a lot of good things about AAS and I think I want to pursue it for first grade but then it bears the question, if I'm not using LOE for all these other components what is left? Are the many moving pieces and cost worth it if it's just straight phonics? Cost isn't really a concern so much as time. Would AAR be more efficient at this point?

If she's already reading at a 3rd grade level, then she doesn't need phonics. It would be the spelling that she needs, yes? Because spelling and phonics are not the same thing.

Personally, I prefer Spalding, which does everything that LOE does but only requires the manual, Writing Road to Reading, and a set of phonogram cards, a one-time purchase of less than $40.  However, you cannot separate the penmanship from the spelling, so there's that. OTOH, if you think she needs more spelling instruction, you could do Spalding. But another "however:" if you were to do it, you would need to follow the manual faithfully, even if you think it's doing things more slowly than you think it should. There's a reason for the way everything is taught.

1 hour ago, ca06c said:

I have read a lot of good things about AAS and I think I want to pursue it for first grade but then it bears the question, if I'm not using LOE for all these other components what is left? Are the many moving pieces and cost worth it if it's just straight phonics? Cost isn't really a concern so much as time. Would AAR be more efficient at this point?

It does sound like LOE is a bit of an overkill for your dd. If you already have curriculum you prefer for many of the LA topics covered in LOE, it probably won't be the right fit for your situation. I'm not sure AAR would be worth it for you either if your daughter is breezing through the phonics easily and already reading at a late elementary level. 

AAS might be a good fit since you said your daughter likes the spelling analysis in LOE. AAS along with FLL and WWE would be a fine language arts program for a first grader. Some people hold off on WWE until 2nd or even 3rd grade but if your first grader is ready for it, there is no reason to wait.

If all you want from LOE is the spelling/phonics portion, I think AAS is going to be your best bet for a similar program. 

AAS would give you spelling and eventually a full phonics review for reading as well. I don't think you would need anything else. If she hits a reading wall you could do some work with Elizabeth B syllables spell success program (or do the placement test for AAR and do the approprate level for that later) or something similar later, but I wouldn't add anything else in now. It is easy to overload 1st grade. Th ink about your goals for her and then find programs to fill those. You dont have to necessarily check every possible 1st grade box;) I'd just do AAS, WWE, FLL, and have her read aloud to you daily for 1st grade and see how it goes. 

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

• Like 2

We actually did the opposite, using everything but the spelling from LOE. Once we had finished Foundations we moved to AAS for spelling & really like it. We don’t mess with all the tiles, opting instead to work on a dry erase board. It’s quick, straightforward, & translates well to his writing outside of spelling lessons, so I’m happy! 

You DD sounds like a quick learner, and I don't think you'll need AAR 4 or LoE D.  I did LoE A-C, then tried AAR 3 and 4- my kids hated it!  If they can already read, its very tedious.  I'd finish C, then just get a regular Spelling program next year.   I like Soaring with Spelling (and yes,  we tried AAS, too- kids were not fans).  Another option is to just fo copy work next year if you don't want to do Spelling. 

This may be an unpopular opinion, but if you have a natural reader, I don't think you need a heavy phonics program.  She will naturally pick a lot of it up as she progresses.  Move on to read aloud she likes- buddy read and explain anything you see come up.  

AAS is a complete phonics program, so if you decide to switch, you wouldn't need LOE for that. AAR and AAS are separate programs for kids just like this who need reading and spelling at different levels. You could see the reading placement tests if you want to try a higher level of AAR, or you could just use AAS. It will fill in any gaps with regard to phonics, and kids like your daughter tend to naturally apply what they learn to reading. Sounds like your daughter is doing great all around!