Menu

Summer Plans?

Posted (edited)

My family is making our list this week.  Some things are already scheduled and others are being worked in:

-hiking Walden's Pond

-camping

-biking Acadia National Park

-a sign language course

-sailing in Vermont

-treeline ropes park

-mini-golf

-the annual town 5k

We're still not entirely keen on being in group settings yet, but ds11 is also doing a hockey camp run by a Canadian whom I trust quite a bit.  He keeps the kids spread out some and has nixed any part of the camp where the kids would be in close proximity or close quarters, and also encourages the use of shields.

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 1

We're going to have 200 playdates with all our friends we haven't seen!! Wheeeee!!! I'm so excited. 

We've also been going to playgrounds. DD5, my social butterfly, is apparently a little out of practice and has been following little kids around saying "Hi! Do you want to be friends?"¬†ūüėā Although apparently at age 5, that does get some takers ūüėČ. I suggested she maybe switch that up to "Do you want to play with me?" as an early lesson in not coming on too strong... ūüėõ¬†¬†

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

a sign language course

That sounds like something my boys would like. Is it local, online, or home-grown?

DS25 took a semester of ASL101 from the local community college as his 'foreign' language requirement in high school. He did really well! The high school waived the remainder of his language requirement due to his nonverbal learning disability and then I couldn't get him to sign up for the next course. We tried to get him to consider the ASL degree at the cc, but he had a severe lack of motivation... *sigh*

• Like 1

Moving across country. Again. This will involve a two week road trip, stopping along the way to see friends and family.

Other than that:

- Athena’s Philosophy class

- Epsilon Camp (Online this year)

- a week camping with relatives she hasn’t gotten to see due to the pandemic

- a week of watersports camp 

• Like 2

Lots of social time. We actually have two in person events this weekend, both outside-L's grad open house at a park tomorrow, and  then a retirement party for one of DH's former co-workers on Sunday. Both are outside, both are mostly people who are fully vaxed except for a few younger kids who are not eligible yet, and both will be socially distanced, but hopefully still fun.  We're also going to see family for the first time in about 2 years (due to going to Australia/NZ over the winter break in 2019/2020) when they come out for the small homeschool grad ceremony we're participating in with a handful of other families who also wanted something more covid aware (outdoors, socially distanced, masks, and now, vaccination required for those 16+), so that will be nice. 

Driver's ed (a bit of the horse having run away from the cart, due to a year when the learner's permit bearing teen had nothing much to do BUT drive for all the errands and curbside pickup) is on the agenda as well, mostly because it lets the test be taken with the driver's ed instructor, and then just send paperwork into the DMV. Since the DMV here has been shut down repeatedly due to COVID cases being traced there, the idea of actually doing the test has been extremely anxiety producing, and it's worth it to pay for the class to be able to avoid it. (Plus, it does give an insurance discount). 

L will be working on a new Dinosaur class for Athena's for the fall, designed for kids who are elementary level (K-3 age, mostly, late elementary reading level, significant interest in dinosaurs), so that's a fun project, and Agnes Scott has a lot of online activities for incoming students over the summer, since they won't be doing an in person orientation until the week before classes begin. 

We're also planning to do a couple of virtual conferences that in past years, we would have done in person. One is happening hybrid, but is simply too far away to go without flying, the other is fully virtual. 

I'm teaching 2 days a week, so we might do some long weekend trips, too, depending on COVID numbers. We're all fully vaccinated, but don't want to take chances. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

Driver's ed (a bit of the horse having run away from the cart, due to a year when the learner's permit bearing teen had nothing much to do BUT drive for all the errands and curbside pickup) is on the agenda as well, mostly because it lets the test be taken with the driver's ed instructor, and then just send paperwork into the DMV. Since the DMV here has been shut down repeatedly due to COVID cases being traced there, the idea of actually doing the test has been extremely anxiety producing, and it's worth it to pay for the class to be able to avoid it. (Plus, it does give an insurance discount). 

Same here. Dd has met her state required driving hours and dd still isn't eligible for a couple months to take the test. The Driver's Ed instructor is loving it- "I've never had to use my brake!", lol.

I don't know what driving instructors make, but it's not enough, I'm sure.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MamaSprout said:

Same here. Dd has met her state required driving hours and dd still isn't eligible for a couple months to take the test. The Driver's Ed instructor is loving it- "I've never had to use my brake!", lol.

I don't know what driving instructors make, but it's not enough, I'm sure.

The two driver's Ed teachers at my school when I was in high school were the most placid, calm guys you could imagine. Even when one had to reach over and suddenly swerve into a front yard to avoid a crash (my brother was the driver at the time. Apparently someone had a somewhat more than two martini lunch, and almost hit a car of high school kids learning to drive). .

L's been eligible for months to test, but didn't want to brave the DMV-it was scary enough last May, when it had first reopened, and cases in our area were very low, and the close to home driver's Ed only happens over public school breaks, and the college didn't take a Spring break this year at all. 

• Like 2

On 5/21/2021 at 2:11 PM, Jackie said:

Moving across country. Again. This will involve a two week road trip, stopping along the way to see friends and family.

Other than that:

- Athena’s Philosophy class

- Epsilon Camp (Online this year)

- a week camping with relatives she hasn’t gotten to see due to the pandemic

- a week of watersports camp 

We are so excited about this part!!!!

Let's coordinate about watersports camp. ūüôā

Ronen decided that he didn't want to go to camp this year. He has had a hard time during the pandemic, so I've committed to spending a lot of mama time with him this summer just doing whatever he wants to do that doesn't involve screens. I imagine that will entail a lot of days by the pool/beach and I am so down for that.

Sacha decided in the fall that he wanted to apply for a bunch of camps. We didn't think he would get into all of them. It's turning out to be a much busier summer after a much harder year than we had expected and I am not sure if this is the best idea for him. He says that he still wants to do the camps because most of them are virtual, but I remain skeptical about all of this.

He is doing Astronomy Camp (online) with the Univ of AZ, Space Academy in Huntsville, AL, Jewish Camp in the mountains of So Cal, Game Design with CTY (online), STEM Camp with USMA (online), Junior Lifeguards here in San Diego, and Summer @Stanford (online). So, some online and some in-person, but it still feels like a lot to me after a rough year.

I just want to sit by the pool, read, and drink sangria all day, but I don't think Ronen will let me do that!¬†¬†ūüėÜ

On 5/20/2021 at 9:01 PM, Noreen Claire said:

That sounds like something my boys would like. Is it local, online, or home-grown?

DS25 took a semester of ASL101 from the local community college as his 'foreign' language requirement in high school. He did really well! The high school waived the remainder of his language requirement due to his nonverbal learning disability and then I couldn't get him to sign up for the next course. We tried to get him to consider the ASL degree at the cc, but he had a severe lack of motivation... *sigh*

I never answered this, sorry!

We found a group buy for Sign It.  The cast are people he's familiar with (Keith Wann, Sean Forbes, Alex & Leah..) so it should be a good refresher for him. I'm not sure a 25yo would get a kick out of it, but maybe? I have to admit, I'm looking forward to doing it with my 11yo!

We just added another thing to our summer: a 3 day art class online covering artists he has not studied: Ansel Adams, Freida Kahlo, and one other.  It's a prerecorded class so they just release one each day and projects to go with.

• Like 2

June - Marine biology unit study, at DS’ request. Hoping to include a field trip to a local aquarium & another HSer mentioned having a shark dissection kit so we may meet up with them to tackle that...

July - Several day camps through our local Parks & Rec. 2wks each of theatre camp & cooking camp, with soccer skills camp on the weekends. This introvert is seriously looking forward to dropping him off & having HOURS to myself each day! 

• Like 2

Ri is going to be a spotlight patient for a big cancer research charity event in August, and our family is invited to attend as guests.  If COVID levels in the area and his immune system both cooperate, our family will go to that.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My sister’s family is coming to visit us for a week, too.  And it looks like, with limits on numbers allowed at events easing in that state, we may be able to attend my niece’s wedding after all.

Also, my oldest dd has a religious youth girls’ camp this month and a high adventure rafting trip next month.

Edited by Condessa
  • Like 2

M was accepted into a research lab at our local UC. He has been working with the lab since April. He will continue working on optimizing memory storage algorithms. He is planning to put in about 20 hours a week, so no camps. He just wants to spend his free time hanging out with friends. 

• Like 5

On 6/13/2021 at 5:03 AM, arliemaria said:

This is our summer of the pool, bike riding and as many library books as possible. I need a break more than the kids!

Same here.

This year was so stressful, so¬†we have decided mostly spend it¬†on the beach, especially with my youngest. He is my¬†fish¬†ūüôā¬†

13yo - tennis camp (twice a week) + more tennis for the rest three days. Beach is on weekends only. Piano with a tutor. Chess independently. Young Leadership Program  & Radio Broadcasting (our local programmes).

11yo - Swimming team from Mon to Fri. Beach is everyday ūüôā¬†Lots of lego and electronic projects, 3d printing. 5-10minutes a day creative writing (homework for summer). cooking¬†

Both - a personal physical¬†coach, German with a tutor, min 50 books each ūüôā¬†

Edited by Rush
  • Like 1

Our Summer Plans are mostly outdoors this year.

--Every Local Nature Trail (we apparently have a few dozen of them). We've made a check list and go to a few each week. We just walk until we're half-tired, and then turn around and come back.

--Run/walk in some local 1K, 3K and 5K

--Grilling with grandparents

--baking with uncle

--Yoyo Competition

--Unicycle Club

--K'Nex Challenge Club

--Camping

--Library Reading Challenge

--"Camp Grandma" with cousins

--Vegetable gardening

• Like 1