Menu

Do you recommend a good desk chair for a teen?

heartlikealion

**Update: I placed an order with Amazon. Thank you for all the suggestions!**

My goodness, I didn't think this would be so complicated. I bought an office chair for ds and the holes/screws don't all line up and then it had a horrible chemical odor which has not completely gone away after days of airing out (including 2 days outdoors on a porch). No one on Amazon mentioned the odor and I ordered the chair from Walmart. After browsing the one star reviews for any mentions of odor I saw complaints about it falling apart after a couple months, another person had issues with holes not lining up, etc. so I'm going to just take it to the store for a refund. 

I was happy with that price point, but I'm willing to spend more to avoid another fiasco lol. 

What do your kids like to sit at? Do you recommend any chairs? He seemed to like the ones on wheels. He's just been using a dining room chair when he's here. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1

We invested in Aeron chairs at the start of the pandemic. Pricey, but they’ll last a long time and correct posture is worth it.  

ETA but it’s also a matter of individual preference. Can he go try out chairs to see what is comfortable and supportive for him? 

Edited by bibiche

17 minutes ago, bibiche said:

We invested in Aeron chairs at the start of the pandemic. Pricey, but they’ll last a long time and correct posture is worth it.  

ETA but it’s also a matter of individual preference. Can he go try out chairs to see what is comfortable and supportive for him? 

I haven't seen a lot of real life options on display (I just remember seeing a couple in Office Depot). I don't know if there are any in Sam's or Costco on display.

• Like 1

The Container Store has a bungee office chair that I and my kids like. It is low-profile, so it is easier to keep out of the way. It's around $150 and comes in some snazzy colors. My son sat in his older sister's secondhand Aeron chair for over a year but willingly traded it to me for the CS bungee chair after he sat in his brother's. I took his Aeron chair to my office but use my own CS bungee at home. I've bought 3 of the CS chairs, and it occurs to me as I am writing this that I need a fourth. 

• Like 1

The way my kids sit in chairs?  No way would I spend extra money 😂. They curl up, lay over it, hang off it, ...

Unless they are sitting in it for 8+ hours a day, I’m not sure I’d invest money in one, unless money is not tight.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, matrips said:

The way my kids sit in chairs?  No way would I spend extra money 😂. They curl up, lay over it, hang off it, ...

Unless they are sitting in it for 8+ hours a day, I’m not sure I’d invest money in one, unless money is not tight.

Yeah money is definitely tight with pending divorce and me starting over, but he also has a birthday coming up (turning 13) and he never really asks for anything. So I guess spending like $100 vs $50 I can swing, but I don't want to spend hundreds. He didn't flat out ask for a specific chair, but he was happy I put a desk (fold out table) in his room here and the rest of the time he's on the floor or bed. He's complained about back issues off/on so I thought an ergonomic chair would be nice. Although we know some of the back complaints are tied to stress. 

13 minutes ago, plansrme said:

The Container Store has a bungee office chair that I and my kids like. It is low-profile, so it is easier to keep out of the way. It's around $150 and comes in some snazzy colors. My son sat in his older sister's secondhand Aeron chair for over a year but willingly traded it to me for the CS bungee chair after he sat in his brother's. I took his Aeron chair to my office but use my own CS bungee at home. I've bought 3 of the CS chairs, and it occurs to me as I am writing this that I need a fourth. 

Can you link me? We do not have that store here. 

13 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

Depends on your price range. Aeron are rated high and quality, but their price reflects it. I will say we found several on Marketplace used. 

The first chair was around $50. I really would like to stay in the $50-100 range if possible. Marketplace around me is a total crap shoot and usually involves me driving an hour to meet up with the person. 

I had to do this recently and wasn't ready to shop in person and ordered this for my young adult.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0897M1MBP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had my 16 year old try it and she liked it too, so I ordered her one as well.  Not amazing, but went together easy in both cases and good for their purposes.  Neither sits in it for hours and hours, but do use it for desk work.  

28 minutes ago, plansrme said:

I was coming to suggest these! They are a very cool looking office chair. I have two. One of them has wheels that are made of a material that won’t scratch wood floors, so no floor mat is required. You have to differentiate between these when buying. The special wheels cost more. I’ve had my chairs for several years. They look the same as the day I bought them. I’ve been through many office chairs that don’t last any time at all. I do buy a good quality chair gel seat because of chronic pain. This combination is more supportive and comfy than any chair I’ve tried. 

This one should have the floor-safe wheels. I’m not sure. The ones with the arms come with them by default, I think.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/desks-chairs/desk-chairs/dark-blue-flat-bungee-office-chair-with-arms/12d?productId=11010849

ETA yes, the one with arms does have non scratch casters. I just checked.

Edited by Indigo Blue

My bad. I forgot to mention he really wanted arm rests. I’m going to try the one @FuzzyCatz mentioned. 

We don’t have an IKEA. I think the nearest one is in Memphis out of state. Now it’s possible there are desk chairs at a random home furnishing store like At Home but overall Im limited on in person choices - especially ones with displays. 

thank you! 

25 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

This one should have the floor-safe wheels. I’m not sure. The ones with the arms come with them by default, I think.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/desks-chairs/desk-chairs/dark-blue-flat-bungee-office-chair-with-arms/12d?productId=11010849

ETA yes, the one with arms does have non scratch casters. I just checked.

Ohh they do have arms. But that’s a higher price point than I’m comfortable with right now so I’ll stick with the Amazon one. 

I haven't bought one, so I don't know how it holds up, but at our local Staples I have sat in one several times that is similar to the one Fuzzy posted above. I eventually need to buy a new chair for my desk, and I like that one.

• Like 1