Menu

Ready-to-go PreK or K

BusyMom5

I'm looking for something already put together for my PreK kiddo.  I am so busy with my older kids, I don't have a lot of time to go find stuff to print out.  Is there a workbook that has activities where you cut out parts and glue together?  I have the Kumon cutting book and she loves it!   She says she is old enough for school now, but I'm not in a hurry for academic stuff- I do suspect she will be an early reader.  I would like 30-60 minutes worth of stuff to do with her as she wants.   Currently we are doing:

Learning capital letters with HWT Wooden pieces and Workbook, and the Kumon Capital Letters workbook- I plan to add lowercase in a month or so.  She isn't as coordinated as she needs to be to write so I am not pushing that- focus on letter sounds and letter recognition.  She does trace letters, lines, etc.

Counting using manipulatives,  not identifying numbers yet.

Pattern blocks

Days, months, seasons

Cooperative games, matching, puzzles

Read to a LOT, and loves songs snd nursery rhymes

Most of the stuff I did with the older kids is time consuming- I made most of it myself, printed out booklets, tons of coloring pages.  I just don't have the time right now- and she wants big kid stuff 😉

Check out Rod and Staff ABCDEFGHI workbooks. Plain no color, but interesting animal themes in the later ones. Start anywhere she fits. They build on each other, but you don't have to do the prior ones to do the later ones. They have counting, tracing, cutting, ect. They are Mennonite, but aside from B (a Bible reader coloring book, I don't remember a lot of religion)

• Like 5

13 hours ago, countrymum said:

Check out Rod and Staff ABCDEFGHI workbooks. Plain no color, but interesting animal themes in the later ones. Start anywhere she fits. They build on each other, but you don't have to do the prior ones to do the later ones. They have counting, tracing, cutting, ect. They are Mennonite, but aside from B (a Bible reader coloring book, I don't remember a lot of religion)

I was just going to say this. We paid for the entire MP simply classical level B program because I liked the idea of all the hands on stuff. I didn't have time to use a single thing other than the memory work, but the package came with ALL of the rod and staff preK books A-F I think, and they were a huge win. My daughter would just walk up to me with a page open and say "what do I do here?" And I would glance and say, "they want you to circle the number of kittens." And she would go away and do it. She loved them all (except B, the coloring book). 

Next year I have another new preK kid and I'm just going to order the rod and staff books.

• Like 1

We used Explode the Codes Get Ready for the Code, which if I remember correctly, introduces both the capital and lower case letters at the same time. Dd wanted to do school like her older siblings, and these workbooks fit the bill.

She might enjoy this Follow Directions and as she masters the Kumon Hand-Eye Coordination Skills (Cutting, Drawing, Coloring, Pasting) books, then this Fine-Motor Workbook might be a nice extension.

I might start doing 100EZ type-reading lessons with her a couple of minutes each day. We had the most success with typing up a few charts and posting them around the house (kitchen, hallway, living-room, etc) so that whatever room we were in, we could do some blending.

Additionally, we did a ton of self-care skills in PreK.
ASL finger alphabet to fluency, once they can do the 26 single letters, we practice common digraphs and diphthongs for fluency
hand-games (clapping-rythym games), finger-rhymes
Base-10 Manipulatives for building and understanding H-T-U.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, seemesew said:

We love the ABC books from Rod and staff! I am also using The Good and the Beautiful Prek book and its honestly the best preschool for me as a mom with many kids to use. The activities vary, include a short game, and lessons are done in 10-15 minutes. The lessons are truly open and go!

This looks exactly like what I had imagined when I bought Simply Classical B but it's all laid out for you. SCB does a similar idea of working on one letter per week, etc. I do like that format. Unfortunately, with lots of littles I now realize even this would be too much for me, and we have to stick to the Kumon or R&S books. But this is a great resource.

• Like 1

I tend to do 100 Easy Lessons at this age to teach them to read and otherwise just provide lots of toys and things to use, like pencils. And I read to them a lot.

I also tend to send kids this age to part-time preschool, though 😉 . I like being able to offload social time on someone else. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I tend to do 100 Easy Lessons at this age to teach them to read and otherwise just provide lots of toys and things to use, like pencils. And I read to them a lot.

I also tend to send kids this age to part-time preschool, though 😉 . I like being able to offload social time on someone else. 

Oh, I hear you!  During school time she goes to grandmas house most days for 2-3 hours so I can do high school math and science.   I have LoE A and OPGtTR, and I think she might like to start, but I'm not ready.  I really want to wait one more year- and hope the moment kid moves to Dual Enrollment!  

Right now its our summer break and she's already learned most of her letters and can't get enough- Wants a new letter every day.  Ive been getting g out some of my old PreK games, flashcards, etc.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...