Menu

How early in August did your first-year college student have to get on campus?

madteaparty

I have one whose first day is August 18th (southeastern school) & another who starts the 23rd (plains state). Move in is the week (or weekend) prior to both. Orientation occurs earlier in the summer for oncoming freshmen except those who are coming from far away. There seems to always be an option for "just in time" orientation right before school starts.

• Thanks 1

Mine has to be there Aug 13 for a pre-move in retreat required for his honors program but he thinks regular move in is supposed to be on/around the 16th. Everytime I asked about it he wasn’t sure and couldn’t find the info. The Aug 13 date is the first solid date we have. Classes start the 18th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New students move in August 14, returning students can move in the 18th. Classes start the 23rd. This year there is not an in person summer orientation for new students until the week before classes, but there are online things to do through the summer, including placement testing, advising, new student meetings for different subject areas, etc. 

• Thanks 1

My kid starts after Labor Day.   Most freshman move to campus the week before, so very late august/early September.  Though he is in an auditioned group now that starts rehearsing mid august most years.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's all over the place in my experience.  Ds did an adventure retreat and had to be a school 10 or so days early.  So, he was there around mid August. Ordinarily it would have been the end of August (except for last year's class who had to go a week earlier bc of covid scheduling.)  Dd has to be at her school September 4th or so.  

Maybe check some likely schools and see what they require.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1