Menu

CDC mask announcement (a new thread)

happi duck

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

I don't think I know practically ANYONE who had no side effects to the second shot. It's a minority. 

I would say that people I know are pretty evenly split between mild/no reactions and feeling pretty knocked out for a day or two. The CDC has a bigger sample size than I do, though. 

• Like 2

Re: how many kids are symptomatic, I'm curious if anyone's tried to figure that out. I've always been really fascinated by this early study from an overnight camp outbreak in Georgia because there was pretty widespread testing (58% were tested and 76% were positive). Of the kids they had symptom reports for, 74% were symptomatic. I've always wondered if those kind of numbers would hold up, since it's a higher percent symptomatic than most figures I've seen for adult populations where asymptomatic testing was done: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6931e1.htm

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Probably true half the time. Maybe more than half, I really don't know. 

This doesn't seem true to me. While there are a lot of asymptomatic kids with covid, there are also a lot that are at least as sick as with a bad cold or a flu (and obviously some much worse). I would call a bad cold or flu worse to deal with than what even people who have a day of crummy systemic vaccine side effects go through (I did have a day of fever and aches after my second dose--still way better than a cold or flu that would have me down longer).

12 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I don't think I know practically ANYONE who had no side effects to the second shot. It's a minority. 

Really? I know a lot of them. Most did have some arm soreness, but unless it's severe, that's the one side effect I don't really count. None of my kids have even had enough arm soreness to say more than, "yeah, my arm is kind of sore" It has been definitely less than half of the people I know who had enough side effects to be in bed after the second shot, and even those, none of them for more than one day. And none of the young adults or teens had anything that prevented their normal activities (one did have joint soreness, but that was the only one that had anything other than arm soreness).

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

This doesn't seem true to me. While there are a lot of asymptomatic kids with covid, there are also a lot that are at least as sick as with a bad cold or a flu (and obviously some much worse). I would call a bad cold or flu worse to deal with than what even people who have a day of crummy systemic vaccine side effects go through (I did have a day of fever and aches after my second dose--still way better than a cold or flu that would have me down longer).

I'd love to know the data on this one 🙂. What fraction of kids are actually as badly off as a cold? 

I had muscle aches on one day, then a week's worth of headaches, then a break for a week, then another 3 days worth of headaches 😛 . I don't know if it's worse than a cold or not (I don't like colds, either), and it's definitely not as bad as when I had the flu, but it was unpleasant. 

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

Really? I know a lot of them. Most did have some arm soreness, but unless it's severe, that's the one side effect I don't really count. None of my kids have even had enough arm soreness to say more than, "yeah, my arm is kind of sore" It has been definitely less than half of the people I know who had enough side effects to be in bed after the second shot, and even those, none of them for more than one day. And none of the young adults or teens had anything that prevented their normal activities (one did have joint soreness, but that was the only one that had anything other than arm soreness).

Ah, yeah, I really don't know anyone. But I know they exist -- just never met them in person. I'm not counting arm soreness. 

It could be that kids will have barely any vaccine reaction just like they have barely any COVID reaction. So it might be false. 

But my point is that it actually doesn't matter. I don't think it makes sense to compare the possible mild reactions. I think it makes way more sense to compare the chances of truly bad outcomes. 

23 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'd love to know the data on this one 🙂. What fraction of kids are actually as badly off as a cold? 

I had muscle aches on one day, then a week's worth of headaches, then a break for a week, then another 3 days worth of headaches 😛 . I don't know if it's worse than a cold or not (I don't like colds, either), and it's definitely not as bad as when I had the flu, but it was unpleasant. 

Ah, yeah, I really don't know anyone. But I know they exist -- just never met them in person. I'm not counting arm soreness. 

It could be that kids will have barely any vaccine reaction just like they have barely any COVID reaction. So it might be false. 

But my point is that it actually doesn't matter. I don't think it makes sense to compare the possible mild reactions. I think it makes way more sense to compare the chances of truly bad outcomes. 

I don't understand the thought process that has people assuming that their kid will get the worst outcome for vaccine reaction but the best outcome for actual Covid.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Kanin said:

So you think that Covid for a kid would be what, exactly? Asymptomatic, or a mild fever, mild cold-type thing for a few days?

And the vaccine side effects are worse than that, or last longer than that?

My 16 yr old had 6 hours, approximately, of side effects to the 2nd Pfizer, and even less for the first. That’s quite a bit more mild than any illness that has registered at all. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Neither of my inlaws, nor my husband nor myself had any reaction beyond arm soreness and maybe a teensy bit of tiredness with the vaccine.  My oldest felt a little crummy for about 24 hours with the second vaccine, but neither of them had any reaction to the first one.  I know a bunch of folks who have had negligible reactions to the vaccine, and even my oldest kid's reaction was less than what they'd have had with even a cold.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Neither of my inlaws, nor my husband nor myself had any reaction beyond arm soreness and maybe a teensy bit of tiredness with the vaccine.  My oldest felt a little crummy for about 24 hours with the second vaccine, but neither of them had any reaction to the first one.  I know a bunch of folks who have had negligible reactions to the vaccine, and even my oldest kid's reaction was less than what they'd have had with even a cold.  

Huh. Maybe we've had bad luck? Both DH and I had non-negligible reactions, as did his parents, as did his sister, as did my sister. I probably had the longest reaction if not the most severe. That's how it is with colds for me, too -- they drag on. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

I know quite a few who never had more than a sore arm. Dh, DS, my mother, several friends.... I know nobody who was sick for longer than a day. More easily fatigued for a bit longer, but not sick.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I don't understand the thought process that has people assuming that their kid will get the worst outcome for vaccine reaction but the best outcome for actual Covid.

For the record, here are two statements: 

1) My kid is more likely to have a mild reaction to COVID than to the vaccine 

and 

2) My kids is more likely to be badly hurt by the vaccine than COVID. 

I wouldn't be surprised if 1) is true but 2) seems grossly untrue. But they are NOT equivalent or even related statements. 

8 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I know quite a few who never had more than a sore arm. Dh, DS, my mother, several friends.... I know nobody who was sick for longer than a day. More easily fatigued for a bit longer, but not sick.

My dh, his mom, and my mom as well as middle boy experienced not even a sore arm. I know others as well. It is interesting how broad the range of experience is. I was pretty miserable for nearly three days after my second dose. I suspect I had even mild covid, it would have been longer than that. 

Dh's brother had a case of covid that his doctor said was on the mild end of it. He said he begged for two days to give him the strength to endure the next breath and then for three days to just die and get it look over with. He wanted not be hospitalized, but didn't even get in the ballpark of bad enough, and despite the pain and coughing, and a month of debilitating fatigue, he was still classified as a mils case. So yikes! The vaccine just doesn't seem to cause anything that extreme.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

For the record, here are two statements: 

1) My kid is more likely to have a mild reaction to COVID than to the vaccine 

and 

2) My kids is more likely to be badly hurt by the vaccine than COVID. 

I wouldn't be surprised if 1) is true but 2) seems grossly untrue. But they are NOT equivalent or even related statements. 

We’d need data to prove either way, but I’d be surprised if number one is true, probability wise. Even a kid who had systemic side effects (and seems the majority don’t) is very unlikely to have them for more than a day, whereas I expect that more than half of kids with Covid have symptoms for more than a day.

31 minutes ago, KSera said:

We’d need data to prove either way, but I’d be surprised if number one is true, probability wise. Even a kid who had systemic side effects (and seems the majority don’t) is very unlikely to have them for more than a day, whereas I expect that more than half of kids with Covid have symptoms for more than a day.

I have no idea what the rate of kids having reaction more severe than a sore arm is. Really, no one does, because the kid trial data hasn't been released.

But let's just say I'd be unsurprised if 1 were true. It may not be, but it's probably a close call. 

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

That is the experience in my extended family as well. My parents, stepfather, DH, and my 17 year old all had nothing worse than a sore arm. My oldest says he was "maybe a little" tired after shot #2. I had a day of mild fatigue, similar to how I feel getting over a cold, so very much an immune system doing its thing feeling. With friends, it's a mix--about half and half knocked out for a day or two vs. very mild/no side effects. So my anecdotal experiences line up fairly nicely with the CDC numbers that suggest about half of people have significant (but rarely severe) side effects.

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

Huh. Maybe we've had bad luck? Both DH and I had non-negligible reactions, as did his parents, as did his sister, as did my sister. I probably had the longest reaction if not the most severe. That's how it is with colds for me, too -- they drag on. 

It's the same with covid, though, right? the severity of cases can be really hard to predict. I would guess there's a whole lot of genetic stuff going on that we'll be untangling for years with covid, and probably the same is true of the vaccine reactions. 

10 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

My 16 yr old had 6 hours, approximately, of side effects to the 2nd Pfizer, and even less for the first. That’s quite a bit more mild than any illness that has registered at all. 

Well, that's what I was thinking.... that vaccine side-effects are likely to be less bad than most illnesses, including Covid. And at least the worst side-effects of the vaccine are less bad than the worst side-effects of Covid.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Aren’t side effects more common the younger you are? They even found a slight increase in symptoms for 12-15 compared to older teens and young twenties.

So the age of those we know may reflect our experience in reported side effects.

13 hours ago, kokotg said:

Re: how many kids are symptomatic, I'm curious if anyone's tried to figure that out. I've always been really fascinated by this early study from an overnight camp outbreak in Georgia because there was pretty widespread testing (58% were tested and 76% were positive). Of the kids they had symptom reports for, 74% were symptomatic. I've always wondered if those kind of numbers would hold up, since it's a higher percent symptomatic than most figures I've seen for adult populations where asymptomatic testing was done: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6931e1.htm

I look at that and wonder about the 42% not tested. I’m going to guess part of the reason some declined testing is because the children didn’t have symptoms. If a decent number of those were also positive, it all looks different.

I don’t think anyone can say that we know the vaccine will have an individual net benefit for the average young, healthy child under 12. We also can’t say that it will have a net harm.

I’d say it probably will turn out be safe and make sense to vaccinate them. But we don’t have enough information on vaccines in this age group to say that. Children are not just tiny adults; they are different. So I’m waiting to see.

The other piece of it is that the benefit to vaccination changes depending on how much of the virus is circulating. We don’t know what things are going to look like in the fall. It might make more sense to a lot of parents to wait for full approval for children with more extensive follow-up, rather than give under emergency use.

13 minutes ago, Penelope said:

I look at that and wonder about the 42% not tested. I’m going to guess part of the reason some declined testing is because the children didn’t have symptoms. If a decent number of those were also positive, it all looks different.

Yes, that's definitely possible. Although then the percent positive would be even more startling. It's fascinating all around (and why I've been pleasantly surprised that we haven't seen more big outbreaks in schools--I expected a lot of situations where whole classrooms tested positive, and that just hasn't happened. Places we've seen school related big outbreaks have been more at off campus parties or associated with indoor sports--so more like a summer camp, I guess, and not like sitting in a classroom sharing air). 

6 minutes ago, Penelope said:

The other piece of it is that the benefit to vaccination changes depending on how much of the virus is circulating. We don’t know what things are going to look like in the fall. It might make more sense to a lot of parents to wait for full approval for children with more extensive follow-up, rather than give under emergency use.

Right now case numbers appear to be dropping off a cliff in areas with high vaccination rates.  IF that continues it could change whether emergency use for under-12 is even approved.  If there's no emergency there's no justification for an EUA.

• Like 3

Just now, Danae said:

Right now case numbers appear to be dropping off a cliff in areas with high vaccination rates.  IF that continues it could change whether emergency use for under-12 is even approved.  If there's no emergency there's no justification for an EUA.

I hope that's what it comes to!

Ugh I've gotten multiple notices through email/Facebook for such and such place or group that masks will now be optional. Reasoning being that those who want to be vaxxed are.  Our state hasn't even lifted the mask mandate just adjusted to match CDC guidelines.  Obviously they aren't worried about being shut down.  Our area is nowhere near ready we have ~ 20% fully vaxxed ~30% having one shot.  Our positivity rate hovers around 10% and our case rate is ~200/per 100k and not trending down.

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

4 minutes ago, kokotg said:

Yes, that's definitely possible. Although then the percent positive would be even more startling. It's fascinating all around (and why I've been pleasantly surprised that we haven't seen more big outbreaks in schools--I expected a lot of situations where whole classrooms tested positive, and that just hasn't happened. Places we've seen school related big outbreaks have been more at off campus parties or associated with indoor sports--so more like a summer camp, I guess, and not like sitting in a classroom sharing air). 

I just had a thought that some of the percent asymptomatics reported in any study might depend on how the questions are asked, and what symptoms are included. Like whether symptoms are collected via checklist, or did a doctor or epidemiologist do personal interviews and go through the list? It also matters when they ask and if there is follow-up, since people can be pre-symptomatic. (I didn’t look to see how this one was done, just thinking out loud).

Studies on younger children are also going to have symptoms reported by parents, and there might even be differences among parents, or “types” of parents, who are more or less likely to think that their kid is fatigued or actually ask them if they are congested, or whatever. Maybe none of that matters at all, but when symptoms can be so diverse and so mild in some, the difference in whether you check yes or no for some things could be very subjective. I guess i just think that I’m not surprised that different studies come up with different numbers. 

9 minutes ago, Danae said:

Definitely possible. Or they may do what they have done for other vaccines in the past and recommend it to higher-risk children, but wait on others.

7 minutes ago, Penelope said:

I just had a thought that some of the percent asymptomatics reported in any study might depend on how the questions are asked, and what symptoms are included. Like whether symptoms are collected via checklist, or did a doctor or epidemiologist do personal interviews and go through the list? It also matters when they ask and if there is follow-up, since people can be pre-symptomatic. (I didn’t look to see how this one was done, just thinking out loud).

Studies on younger children are also going to have symptoms reported by parents, and there might even be differences among parents, or “types” of parents, who are more or less likely to think that their kid is fatigued or actually ask them if they are congested, or whatever. Maybe none of that matters at all, but when symptoms can be so diverse and so mild in some, the difference in whether you check yes or no for some things could be very subjective. I guess i just think that I’m not surprised that different studies come up with different numbers. 

Yeah, and this was just a case report about this particular outbreak; it wasn't intended to draw any bigger conclusions, I don't think. 

17 minutes ago, Danae said:

The main issue in the fall with kids will be schools and wanting to be able to open them without mask mandates, distancing, etc. We won't really be able to tell much over the summer about how much covid is still circulating because kids aren't vaccinated. And small numbers can turn into big numbers really quickly if you stuff everyone back in full classrooms, doing indoor sports, etc. with no precautions and no vaccines.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Ugh I've gotten multiple notices through email/Facebook for such and such place or group that masks will now be optional. Reasoning being that those who want to be vaxxed are.  Our state hasn't even lifted the mask mandate just adjusted to match CDC guidelines.  Obviously they aren't worried about being shut down.  Our area is nowhere near ready we have ~ 20% fully vaxxed ~30% having one shot.  Our positivity rate hovers around 10% and our case rate is ~200/per 100k and not trending down.

My city has dropped required masks in public buildings, and I teach in a community center. I am planning to leave them required for my classes this summer, because except for one 17 yr old, none of my kids are fully vaccinated yet, and most aren’t eligible. I’m not sure what I can do if someone refuses.

• Like 1

I don't really expect businesses and stuff to really enforce the mask mandate.  But having signs saying  no mask required for vaccinated is different  than ones saying masks optional.    Most of the people I know wouldn't lie but if it says optional they will be done.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

My city has dropped required masks in public buildings, and I teach in a community center. I am planning to leave them required for my classes this summer, because except for one 17 yr old, none of my kids are fully vaccinated yet, and most aren’t eligible. I’m not sure what I can do if someone refuses.

This is an important issue, putting the onus back on small business owners to set their own terms. I imagine it will be like ‘no shoes, no shirt, no service’. You comply or you go elsewhere.

33 minutes ago, kokotg said:

The main issue in the fall with kids will be schools and wanting to be able to open them without mask mandates, distancing, etc. We won't really be able to tell much over the summer about how much covid is still circulating because kids aren't vaccinated. And small numbers can turn into big numbers really quickly if you stuff everyone back in full classrooms, doing indoor sports, etc. with no precautions and no vaccines.

I hadn't run the numbers in the big school system next door (that's taking basically no precautions other than quarantines for positives and close contacts and teachers wearing masks) much in these times of relatively low covid, so I just took a peak. Incidence rate over 14 days (as of last Friday) for students was 194/100,000...compared to 99/100,000 for the county as a whole over 14 days. So an incidence rate nearly twice as high for school kids in that county as for the total population. ETA: that hasn't changed much even as overall numbers have gone down; it's been 2-3x higher for kids every time I've checked. E(again)TA: and, of course, that's given a presumably significantly lower testing rate for kids.

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 3

...for my adjacent county, incidentally, with a mask mandate (but no distancing, hybrid, etc), the incidence rate is 63/100,000 over 14 days for schools; 108/100,000 over the same period for the county as a whole. 

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

I don't really expect businesses and stuff to really enforce the mask mandate.  But having signs saying  no mask required for vaccinated is different  than ones saying masks optional.    Most of the people I know wouldn't lie but if it says optional they will be done.

Yeah, I think that if people believe masks work and are still statistically important (given the case and vax #s of a given time and place), the message should be vax or mask for now.

Our state mask mandate ends June 2, but for summer camps, I will advise my kids to keep masking in indoor camps/sports until 2 weeks post vax (obviously longer if the camp requires it).

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

Aren’t side effects more common the younger you are? They even found a slight increase in symptoms for 12-15 compared to older teens and young twenties.

Oh, did they? Mind citing?

So the age of those we know may reflect our experience in reported side effects.

Maybe, although I’m citing a large range. 

I don’t think anyone can say that we know the vaccine will have an individual net benefit for the average young, healthy child under 12. We also can’t say that it will have a net harm.

The trial data isn’t out yet, so obviously we can’t say anything. I’ll be very surprised if the harm profile for the vaccine looks worse than the virus, though... on the other hand, it could look worse than a 1% chance of the virus. But I don’t know whether I expect numbers to stay low.

1 hour ago, Dmmetler said:

Can you keep windows open?  For my country of origin, the current clusters are larger in air-conditioned places. Air flow and ventilation would reduce risks. I am sensitive to pollen but I would rather suffer pollen allergies than bad air flow. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/office-buildings.html

• Increase circulation of outdoor air as much as possible by opening windows and doors if possible, and using fans. Do not open windows and doors if doing so poses a safety or health risk for occupants, including children (e.g., a risk of falling or of breathing outdoor environmental contaminants such as carbon monoxide, molds, or pollens).”

11 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

But I don’t know whether I expect numbers to stay low.

My best guess is that summer will be fairly awesome (and I'm planning to enjoy every second of it). The question is whether we're able/willing to do what we need to do in the fall/winter when K-12 and colleges start back up, people start to go back inside, we see whether boosters are needed, etc. etc. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Penelope said:

It was a few percentage points higher in the Pfizer data, and I saw it commented on, somewhere. I don’t have a link handy but I think it might have been the ACIP meeting slides that might have had the comparison.

Hmmm. Yes, I’m seeing that now that I’m Googling. That’s a little disappointing, honestly, since kids are so often asymptomatic for actual COVID...

I wonder whether the average duration of side effects is longer or shorter?

Edited by Not_a_Number

16 minutes ago, kokotg said:

My best guess is that summer will be fairly awesome (and I'm planning to enjoy every second of it). The question is whether we're able/willing to do what we need to do in the fall/winter when K-12 and colleges start back up, people start to go back inside, we see whether boosters are needed, etc. etc. 

Yes, I think the summer will be great. We’re going to make good use of it!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Penelope said:

It was a few percentage points higher in the Pfizer data, and I saw it commented on, somewhere. I don’t have a link handy but I think it might have been the ACIP meeting slides that might have had the comparison.

I didn't see that, but I recall reading that about age 55 is where average side effects from the vax exceed the severity of average Covid symptoms.  In other words, those under 55 are likely to have a rougher time from the vax than the virus.

But if you look at the "worst case" situations, let's say the worst 1%, then yeah, the virus is worse than the vax for most age groups.  Still not sure about little kids yet.

Unless they come up with a vax that isn't hard on young kids, for at least many parents, it will be hard to justify the kiddy vax if the cases stay low.  Or maybe they would go for 1 shot and call that good enough.

3 minutes ago, SKL said:

Unless they come up with a vax that isn't hard on young kids, for at least many parents, it will be hard to justify the kiddy vax if the cases stay low.  Or maybe they would go for 1 shot and call that good enough.

Some parents want their kids to be vaccinated for summer camps and also for schools to be in session without masks for this fall. I don’t know if the state would require for K-12th school students though.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Some parents want their kids to be vaccinated for summer camps and also for schools to be in session without masks for this fall. I don’t know if the state would require for K-12th school students though.

Most parents I know have their kids in team sports and travel teams and they are getting their kids vaccinated so that the sport opportunities can increase during summer and fall. Most of them are back to regular practice schedules with masks outdoors, but they hope to do a lot in the Fall with vaccines.

I would like to vaccinate my youngest because he wants to go back to orchestra. Also, he has a high risk brother and mom. I feel more comfortable not having someone catch COVID and increase the chances of vaccine breakthrough in my home. Yes, I know that they aren't so sure how often kids spread it, and the breakthrough on the vaccines is small, but it is also true that more exposure to COVID makes catching it more likely. Then there is the fact that I am concerned about the long term consequences of this virus for people, including little kids. Kids have a long life in front of them. I feel the vaccine is a safer bet. 

Edited by bluemongoose
I shouldn't try to comment on a phone!
  • Like 2

On 5/17/2021 at 4:38 PM, Spy Car said:

The science of fully vaccinated people going unmasked, which no one is disputing.

But that's not the problem with the CDC's decision, of which you are fully aware.

Unvaccinated people going unmasked is a direct threat to human life and children are still largely unprotected.

Bill

This just really isn't true.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2021/03/children-and-covid-transmission-your-child-is-basically-a-vaccinated-adult.html