Menu

What paint colors do you like?

Drama Llama

We're beige people. I love a nice beige wall that kind of fades into the background and doesn't jar my senses, along with nice white trim that really pops. Behr Plateau (Marquee) is our go to interior wall paint, with Sherwin Williams Pure White (Emerald) for trim.

27 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Are griege colors still in vogue? We painted the inside of our house about 4 years ago and used a griege from Sherwin Williams. We tried many different grieges until we found one that worked well in our house. Grey is hard because the undertones can look so different based on light. 

Our master suite was painted with Sherwin Williams Sea Salt which is like a sea foam color. It's very pretty. 

I hope so, as we just settled on Stonehenge Greige as our exterior paint color.

We also sampled a bunch of greige options to find the one we all liked.

Bill

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-DvK5HmD9c8tqizloGap

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

We live in a 1915 house with heavy dark woodwork. So I've tended toward vibrant historic palettes that might not look as good in newer homes with lighter woodwork.  We have a few neutral color walls but they are in halls/entries and are against a wall with a color.  White doesn't work in our space at all, it makes it look dead. The winter lighting is especially unforgiving with white in our house.  When we first moved in, we started putting neutrals on the wall and for our space you need a fairly deep tone to read at all.  So you might want to start by thinking about your space and the natural lighting in those spaces.  It really helps if you can get some samples on the walls to watch for a few days in different lighting conditions.

But if I have to pick a color, we have a sun room in a sagey green I love it so much.  The room is double hung windows on 3 sides.  I hope to do our bedroom in a similar color in the not too distant future.  Though, again lighting in there is different so we may play with with greens on the walls before committing.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz

Our kitchen and dining nook walls are navy blue. It goes wonderfully with our cabinets (orange tones) and tile (very rustic dark grey) and plenty of windows. It was a risk to do a dark colour, but it is a very well lit space, and there isn't a lot of painted wall area between all the cabinets, windows, and backsplash tile covering most of the walls. I encourage you to try a dark colour in a kitchen!

• Like 2

I'm super boring.  I like white in general, although I like a light yellow in kitchens or bathrooms sometimes.  I have been in houses where I've liked bright accent walls and the like, but I have a hard time figuring out what things will look like once they're on a whole wall.  Neutral walls just seem easier, though if I had a friend who was great at picking colors or something, I'd be very tempted to ask them.  I'm just not visual enough to predict that, so I don't try.

38 minutes ago, Anne Elliot said:

We painted our interior white. We used Alabaster by Sherwin Williams and I ❤️ it. The house feels so bright and clean.

I'm picking paint also, and looked this one up, and it looks like a really good white. I'm nervous to go white, because growing up, our walls were always white, and it was so boring and unattractive. But now I find myself really drawn to pictures of rooms with white walls. I know it's trendy to go white again, but I can't decide if I will quickly find it boring and wish we'd added some color, or if the white will feel good for a long time. I do really like the look of it right now. I'm only doing one room, so maybe I'm over thinking it.

I like restful colors, on the cool side and not too intense. A light sky blue (with white and gray) in a bathroom. A soft green (toned down from a darker green) in the dining room. My living room, hallway, and bedroom are beige (we painted over beiges that looked pink!) but I'd like to go paler, maybe a soft white.

DS picked his own bedroom color and it's Pikachu yellow! He loves bold color. I did too, at that age, and would've gone for turquoise. But now I don't want anything screaming for my attention.

• Like 1

We painted the living room and entry hallway a light peach this summer.  I love it.  

We painted my daughter’s room a very light, pale blue with white trim and doors.  It turned out great.  

We need to paint some other rooms and have no idea what we are going to do.  Probably something neutral.

Sherwin Williams Sea Salt for bathrooms. 

If you like navy, we did our last family room in Behr English Channel. It was beautiful against the white molding. 

I’ve moved on from gray and greige. I want to do a lot of creamy white in our next house, but haven’t looked at specific paint colors yet. 

Color trends are moving warmer and muddier (brown/beige based). https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/color-palettes/best-selling-colors

I find it helpful to think about a whole house palette. Pinterest has a lot of color scheme pins that are linked to actual houses so that you can see how they play out. 

As far as actual color recommendations go, so much of that will depend on flooring, light quality in the house, and your overall vibe. If you are in a 50s house, with an edgy vibe in your furniture, I am going to recommend very different colors than if you are in a Victorian. 

Personally, I like really calming earthy colors that are pretty classic. Turquoise and coral wear me out—-I wouldn’t consider them outside of a really southern house. 

I have been repainting the house in whites, greens, and a bit of black here and there. 

32 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Color trends are moving warmer and muddier (brown/beige based). https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/color-palettes/best-selling-colors

I find it helpful to think about a whole house palette. Pinterest has a lot of color scheme pins that are linked to actual houses so that you can see how they play out. 

As far as actual color recommendations go, so much of that will depend on flooring, light quality in the house, and your overall vibe. If you are in a 50s house, with an edgy vibe in your furniture, I am going to recommend very different colors than if you are in a Victorian. 

Personally, I like really calming earthy colors that are pretty classic. Turquoise and coral wear me out—-I wouldn’t consider them outside of a really southern house. 

I have been repainting the house in whites, greens, and a bit of black here and there. 

We have a house built in the early '40's with hardwood floors, and a thrift store vibe, with elements of IKEA.  It's currently painted a color formerly known as white, now referred to as "smudged"

• Haha 6

I love color, but I'm horrible at being able to tell what works together, so I used the Rustic Refined color palette from Sherwin Williams to do everything in our house: wall colors, furniture, accents, etc. I love it. It's cheerful, bright, and eclectic. 

Living room:

Screenshot_20210515-221643_Facebook.jpg

Dining room:

Screenshot_20210515-221655_Facebook.jpg

Homeschool room /library:

Screenshot_20210515-221744_Facebook.jpg

Edited by Chelli
  • Like 10

52 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

We have a house built in the early '40's with hardwood floors, and a thrift store vibe, with elements of IKEA.  It's currently painted a color formerly known as white, now referred to as "smudged"

So kind of mid-century bohemian with an authentic not-faux finish on the walls, then?  😉

Paint really varies with style, location and personal preference.  Here, we are not into the current trends, alas, much to our pain when we sell, probably. But it makes us all smile to see color.

Are you doing the whole house the same color?  

We tend to warmer shades, and go one room or area at a time. Our crazy high ceiling foyer that bleeds into an upper hall is a warm white, and our living room and office are a warm, brown based beige.  The other parts of the house ... all different, depending on the room.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Spryte said:

So kind of mid-century bohemian with an authentic not-faux finish on the walls, then?  😉

Paint really varies with style, location and personal preference.  Here, we are not into the current trends, alas, much to our pain when we sell, probably. But it makes us all smile to see color.

Are you doing the whole house the same color?  

We tend to warmer shades, and go one room or area at a time. Our crazy high ceiling foyer that bleeds into an upper hall is a warm white, and our living room and office are a warm, brown based beige.  The other parts of the house ... all different, depending on the room.  

I think we will do some neutral color in the living room, the room of requirement (theoretically a dining room) and the halls.  That color needs to go with legos and Harry Potter.  I am thinking maybe Swiss Coffee?  

Then something else for the kitchen, office, two bedrooms and two bathrooms.  

28 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

This quiz is killing me.

So, I took it and it gave me really ugly colors.  Like kinda sorta hideous. (I won't say which one since someone might have those colors).  So, I looked and I kinda liked the minimalist palette.  So, I decided to pick answers that might lead to that palette.  Kinda like how I picked that my favorite animal was a badger on the Harry Potter quiz because I wanted to be in Hufflepuff.  

But I can not figure out what kind of coffee table book minimalists are supposed to like.  Or plant.  Or painting for the wall.  I mean, I don't have any of those things.  Because I don't like stuff for the sake of stuff.  But "none" is not an option.  So, I keep getting the wrong palette.  

5 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

We are painting  - more to sell than for our own choice, but I still went with things I like. 

Bathrooms are Mountain Pear - a very light blue. And the rest of the house will be getting Vanilla Steam, a light beige. 

How do they come up with paint names?  I have seen mountains, I have seen pears.  Neither is pale blue, although that is a very lovely color.

Your vanilla steam looks like my Swiss coffee.  It actually kinda does look vanilla, so I will give them credit for that.  

• Like 2

I tend to run my hand along walls as I walk, so anything that won't blatantly show the dirt is good. No whites, ever. Gets dingy as heck.

I also hate all shades of greige with a passion. I like my walls to be COLORS.

Other than that, I'm open to anything. Warm colors in the kitchen - yellows, oranges, tans. Cool colors in the bedroom - blues and greens.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Now, i'm noticing that in every choice, what I like are the blue rooms. 

Would it be weird if I just painted my whole house various shades of blue and white?

Nope.  My painter said paint the colors YOU love, not what someone else says you should do.

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Now, i'm noticing that in every choice, what I like are the blue rooms. 

Would it be weird if I just painted my whole house various shades of blue and white?

Not at all. I'd love that acually. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BaseballandHockey said:

This quiz is killing me.

So, I took it and it gave me really ugly colors.  Like kinda sorta hideous. (I won't say which one since someone might have those colors).  So, I looked and I kinda liked the minimalist palette.  So, I decided to pick answers that might lead to that palette.  Kinda like how I picked that my favorite animal was a badger on the Harry Potter quiz because I wanted to be in Hufflepuff.  

But I can not figure out what kind of coffee table book minimalists are supposed to like.  Or plant.  Or painting for the wall.  I mean, I don't have any of those things.  Because I don't like stuff for the sake of stuff.  But "none" is not an option.  So, I keep getting the wrong palette.  

I won!  I got the minimalist palette.

I am totally confused as to why minimalists apparently like rom coms, and why the one coffee table with stuff on it was the minimalist one.  

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Chelli said:

I love color, but I'm horrible at being able to tell what works together, so I used the Rustic Refined color palette from Sherwin Williams to do everything in our house: wall colors, furniture, accents, etc. I love it. It's cheerful, bright, and eclectic. 

Living room:

Screenshot_20210515-221643_Facebook.jpg

Dining room:

Screenshot_20210515-221655_Facebook.jpg

Homeschool room /library:

Screenshot_20210515-221744_Facebook.jpg

Your house is gorgeous by the way

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BaseballandHockey said:

This quiz is killing me.

You are cracking me up. 

I got nurturer - and I actually really like the colors! https://www.swcolorid.com/palettes/nurturer/

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

You are cracking me up. 

I got nurturer - and I actually really like the colors! https://www.swcolorid.com/palettes/nurturer/

I got that once. 

I got lots of things.

I mean, i think I am a nurturer, but I can not figure out how that relates to what kind of coffee table books I like.  And I think in order to get nurture I picked no pets, which makes about as much sense as the coffee table with the knick knacks being minimalist.

You would think no pets would be minimalist, but apparently minimalists have fish.  Who knew?  Apparently I need to go to the store and buy some knick knacks and fish or I'll lose my minimalist title. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I won!  I got the minimalist palette.

I am totally confused as to why minimalists apparently like rom coms, and why the one coffee table with stuff on it was the minimalist one.  

ooh....I do like that one! That Krypton color is fantastic....I think I may need to paint my bedroom in the new house, when we get one, that color!!! https://www.swcolorid.com/palettes/minimalist/

• Like 1

Just now, BaseballandHockey said:

I got that once. 

I got lots of things.

I mean, i think I am a nurturer, but I can not figure out how that relates to what kind of coffee table books I like.  And I think in order to get nurture I picked no pets, which makes about as much sense as the coffee table with the knick knacks being minimalist.

You would think no pets would be minimalist, but apparently minimalists have fish.  Who knew?  Apparently I need to go to the store and buy some knick knacks and fish or I'll lose my minimalist title. 

Lol, I put dog, and the nature coffee table book, and got nurturer. 

3 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

and I think the paintings with plants.  Although those might make you a naturalist.

I picked those paintings too. Actually starting to wonder how on earth you get naturalist? Maybe it is all based on the sofa? I picked the white comfy one. 

So, now I am liking this palette from @prairiewindmomma's suggestion:

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/color-palettes/color-by-style/modern-farmhouse-paint-colors

I like that blue and white kitchen.  Can I paint my wood cabinets?  Would I regret it because I'd need to keep painting them?

I also have barn doors in my living room, maybe they need to be blue.  Or Gryffindor red, the only not blue thing. 

What do people think?

• Like 1

Just now, ktgrok said:

I picked those paintings too. Actually starting to wonder how on earth you get naturalist? Maybe it is all based on the sofa? I picked the white comfy one. 

The white one is the only remotely comfy one, which is obviously important.  But I have a dog, and two boys and a husband, and a love of movie nights with pizza.  A white couch seems like a spectacularly bad idea. 

We buy expensive Bio paint because of dh having multiple chemical sensitivities. It only comes in white. I then purchase pigment and make my own colours. The loungeroom is a bluey greenish colour sort of like a robins egg. 

The kitchen is a colour I call clotted cream

All the bedroom are different shades of blue, except mine which was a bright pink, dh, being colour blind didn't know for ages until one of kids told him, then I panted it yellow

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

So, now I am liking this palette from @prairiewindmomma's suggestion:

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/color-palettes/color-by-style/modern-farmhouse-paint-colors

I like that blue and white kitchen.  Can I paint my wood cabinets?  Would I regret it because I'd need to keep painting them?

I also have barn doors in my living room, maybe they need to be blue.  Or Gryffindor red, the only not blue thing. 

What do people think?

You totally can do that. 

That pallette is too dark for me, probably partly because I live in Florida and it seems off for here, but I LOVE the bright color trim against the more neutral walls in one of the photos. I've never even considered that before, and now I may! 

1 minute ago, BaseballandHockey said:

The white one is the only remotely comfy one, which is obviously important.  But I have a dog, and two boys and a husband, and a love of movie nights with pizza.  A white couch seems like a spectacularly bad idea. 

Yup, I went with comfy and figured I could get a slipcover, lol. 

• Like 1