Menu

Online summer French for adults

Dd18 needs to refresh and strengthen her French skills after about a year away. She's taken college-level French through 201, and plans to resume in the fall with 202. She's comfortable doing a lot of independent study, but it would be very helpful to find a class or teacher who could help with speaking skills in particular, including impromptu conversation, which is very important to the professor she'll have in the fall. Any ideas?

We're looking at an Alliance Francaise class. I've also pointed her to the Carnegie Open Learning Initiative, but that wouldn't include much speaking. I'm assuming that online high school providers probably won't want a high school graduate in any classes they might still have open. We've also talked about getting a tutor, but that could get pretty expensive. If anyone has other ideas, we'd be interested.

This may be a time when a tutor is helpful, or if she can find a conversation group. I have definitely seen this at Alliance Francaise. The University of Toronto has online classes that seem to be aimed at adults at multiple levels: https://learn.utoronto.ca/programs-courses/languages-and-translation/language-learning/french

I would also say, watch movies and listen to radio. It’s not her talking, but it reinforces listening skills and is fun.

Edited by stripe
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stripe said:

This may be a time when a tutor is helpful, or if she can find a conversation group. I have definitely seen this at Alliance Francaise. The University of Toronto has online classes that seem to be aimed at adults at multiple levels: https://learn.utoronto.ca/programs-courses/languages-and-translation/language-learning/french

I would also say, watch movies and listen to radio. It’s not her talking, but it reinforces listening skills and is fun.

I'll pass this along to her. Thank you!

2 hours ago, elegantlion said:

I don't have any suggestions for classes, but we used Savoir Dire for one of my French classes. I found it to be very helpful for fine-tuning pronunciation. The version I linked as website access. 

Pronunciation is an issue, so this would be very helpful. Thank you!

2 hours ago, stripe said:

I saw something from Alliance Française about Gymglish’s Frantastique program, which seemed to be interactive short language activities or lessons that adapt to your level. Might be useful as a supplement? 

https://www.gymglish.com/en/frantastique

Yes, that looks interesting. Thanks!

• Like 1

Gymglish, meh.  Yes, it seemed appealing to me at first, but after a month trial I am not a fan of their products.  The cost is not small, and they throttle annoyingly (they limit how much you can do per week).

Alliance Française, regarding quality your mileage may vary, plus a lot of them only offer classes in fall/winter/spring.  I was really disappointed with the $$$ class I took with my nearest AF chapter.  One serious problem with adult classes is that adults have adult responsibilities and wildly varying background and motivation.  IOW your classmates may be an obstacle to progress.  But maybe an advanced level class would be more satisfying.

If the main goal is to improve speaking skills, MeetUp groups (free!) might work, along with working through a grammar workbook independently.  There are tons of French conversation groups on MeetUp, and many are currently virtual-only and welcoming to non-locals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Forgot to mention, the Y in Quebec teaches French via their virtual language school.  We don’t have experience with their French instruction for adults, but my older daughter is happy with the Brazilian Portuguese class she is taking from them.  Given the exchange rate, the adult classes are very reasonably priced.  Note that the daytime and evening course options are quite different.

https://athome.ymcaquebec.org/international-language-school/adult-courses/

Edited by jplain
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1