Menu

CDC removing mask mandate what will you do with dc under 12

hshibley

11 minutes ago, Ailaena said:

This is what I have been thinking about since I saw this topic open.   I remember those infographics that showed wearing a mask is 5% effective when somebody else is sick but 80% effective  when the sick person is wearing a mask (or whatever the numbers were).  So now my kid is essentially unprotected.  In an area where already 25% of cases are kids and people are quite good about masking in public.

Even if the vaccine is 95% effective against moderate to severe covid, people still get covid and can transmit it to kids.  On top of the fact that virtually nobody who is unvaccinated is going to be honest about it.  And even if "most kids don't get that sick," it is still a roulette game with your kid.

So the question becomes, how many empty chambers in a gun will make me feel safe pulling the trigger?

Those infographics you saw early on were completely made up, just like some of those infographics that got passed around showing color-coded high and low risk activities, or the ones with people in a room and showing how many people would catch Covid and where the droplets would go.

In a lot of states that waited longer to open vaccines to everyone, people are only now getting, or are still waiting for, second shots. There are a lot of issues with this new guidance, but in the very least it seems premature until everyone is able to finish their series and be two weeks out. Ideally including the 12-15year olds vaccines just opened to. I only just got my second shot, and have been looking forward  to so many things, and now I fear this new guidance will spoil it all, because I don’t trust anti-maskers to continue masking if they’re not vaccinated. I had also been considering what things I might feel comfortable to take my too young to be vaccinated child to do, and now this messes that all up as well. I’m not taking her indoors around unmasked, unvaxed people at this point. Besides not wanting her to get it, we have elderly grandparents we’re finally going to be able to see, and we can’t do that if a kid might be carrying Covid. 

• Like 7

At least two school districts in my area have already changed their policies on masks in response to the CDC's announcement. With no indication that there will be any proof of vaccination status whatsoever required. One of the districts hasn't required masks for students at all this year but is now no longer requiring them for vaccinated teachers. So to recap: a school district that has steadfastly refused to follow CDC guidelines about masks in schools all year long took only a few hours to decide THIS CDC announcement means they can do away with what few precautions they WERE taking. We'll wait and see if this decreases vaccine hesitancy at all, but so far all I'm seeing where I am is stuff like that. People are taking it as an official pronouncement that the pandemic is over.

• Sad 7

1 minute ago, KSera said:

In a lot of states that waited longer to open vaccines to everyone, people are only now getting, or are still waiting for, second shots. There are a lot of issues with this new guidance, but in the very least it seems premature until everyone is able to finish their series and be two weeks out. Ideally including the 12-15year olds vaccines just opened to. I only just got my second shot, and have been looking forward  to so many things, and now I fear this new guidance will spoil it all, because I don’t trust anti-maskers to continue masking if they’re not vaccinated. I had also been considering what things I might feel comfortable to take my too young to be vaccinated child to do, and now this messes that all up as well. I’m not taking her indoors around unmasked, unvaxed people at this point. Besides not wanting her to get it, we have elderly grandparents we’re finally going to be able to see, and we can’t do that if a kid might be carrying Covid. 

Yep me too.  My kids have been home 100% since March.  I was just thinking of what would be safe for them this summer.  Now this messes everything up.  I think this is way to early for the US to do this.  And yep this is not going to push people to get a vaccine.  They don't have to prove they have one to take their masks off everywhere.  If that was the case maybe.  Or if states had to reach 75% and then could drop the mask mandate, then maybe people would be more into it.  

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, KSera said:

I feel like everything they are doing for indoors would be perfectly appropriate for Sept.  I think it’s a bit premature.  I think the outdoor stuff is way overdue. 

Edited by HeartString
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Those infographics you saw early on were completely made up, just like some of those infographics that got passed around showing color-coded high and low risk activities, or the ones with people in a room and showing how many people would catch Covid and where the droplets would go.

I don’t think that’s quite fair. While I’m sure some were made up, many were based on actual studies and science. I agree the precise numbers of what the various risk levels were best guesses, but I think @Ailaena’s main point stands, that while masks provide some protection for the wearer, the greatest protection from masks comes from the infected person wearing one. It’s going to be more important than ever now for people who need the protection to be wearing really excellent, well fitted masks. It won’t be practical for most kids to wear super tight n95s all day, though. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

And although it is too soon to know long term effects, studies have found a significant number of kids are sick for weeks to months before recovering - and that sounds bad enough. I don' want my kid being sick for say, 6 weeks when I could prevent it. 

This made me think about Mono because it usually lasts around 6 weeks,  right?.  There 3 million cases a year of Mono and I’ve never felt compelled specifically to prevent my kids from getting it. Now I’m wondering if that was rational and how I should think about COVID risk for my kids in light of that, in regards to being worried about masking/not masking. 

(I already said we’ll keep masking in stores and doctors offices for now, just thinking about my level of upset or concern.  It’s subjective so I know others will feel different.  I’m just doing  my own calculations “out loud”. )  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Hmmm, he sort of avoided the young children question. When I’ve seen him, he always seems like a voice of reason. And he says we should wait a month or so til stopping indoor masking. I agree with him.

19 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Gotta wonder if all those saying that masks don't prevent people from spreading disease/droplets/infection would be fine with their surgeon not wearing a surgical mask when operating on them? 

Are you talking about this thread? No one said that. I think they must do something if most people are wearing them, but that we don’t know the number.

The benefit to any individual will also depend a lot on how much disease is in the community where they are. Lots of disease, everyone better mask up. Lower levels in a population will come up with a different level of population benefit. 

If you are going to make a surgical comparison, you have to ask if you feel comfortable having surgery by a surgeon who has tested positive for Covid? You’d have to ask how much you trust that mask then, even a piece of cloth over a surgical mask, or even an N95. But the comparison doesnt make sense even then, because an operating room with an open chest or abdomen doesn’t have anything to do with people at Walmart.

Edited by Penelope
  • Like 3

I think it sets up an even more divided country. At this point, the only people I will be willing to be around will I trust when they say they are vaccinated. Everyone else stay the neck away. No mask, get away from me or I will go off on them. So our world will be masked, quick run into a store otherwise continuing to use curbside pick up and online ordering instead of supporting local businesses who have all been dropping their mask rules and posting about it online and on their doors today. Farmers' Market and trips to the beach okay, but so may bring my orange road cones and crepe paper and make our "stay the eff away" square of space again. Might consider an outdoor concert if there is room for me to be away from other folks by a good distance, and rocket launches at our NAR field will be fine.

But, so many things we were looking forward to doing are not going to happen. I would like to kick the CDC right where it counts!!!

• Like 5

Just a question:  right now vaccines are available for 12 and up, correct?  Are there trials/ plans under way for vaccinating younger than 12 at some point?  My kids are adults but if they were younger then I think that I would just add it to their vaccine schedule once they reached the age of eligibility (depending on the science at that point).  Prior to that, probably masks in public. 

** answering hypothetically is hard because I have always parented my kids very specifically to their personal situation so I know that I would have talked to their own doctors about it and taken their recommendation for my particular kids. 

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Are there trials/ plans under way for vaccinating younger than 12 at some point?

Yes. Trials are underway for everything from six months up. There have been some predictions younger kids will have a vaccine approved by September, but more recently I’ve been hearing that might not be until early 2022.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Just a question:  right now vaccines are available for 12 and up, correct?  Are there trials/ plans under way for vaccinating younger than 12 at some point? 

Yes. Trials are happening now; I think I saw some speculation recently that there'd be a vaccine approved for younger kids by fall. Which is all the more reason I wish the CDC had at least held off until schools were out for summer. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Are you talking about this thread? No one said that. I think they must do something if most people are wearing them, but that we don’t know the number.

The benefit to any individual will also depend a lot on how much disease is in the community where they are. Lots of disease, everyone better mask up. Lower levels in a population will come up with a different level of population benefit. 

If you are going to make a surgical comparison, you have to ask if you feel comfortable having surgery by a surgeon who has tested positive for Covid? You’d have to ask how much you trust that mask then, even a piece of cloth over a surgical mask, or even an N95. But the comparison doesnt make sense even then, because an operating room with an open chest or abdomen doesn’t have anything to do with people at Walmart.

My point is, we have people saying there is no reason to mask up, masks are not effective. But we have surgeons wear them because they do prevent contamination as you breathe out. No, I wouldn't want a Covid positive surgeon, but given that I have no idea if any random person is covid positive or not, when I'm at the store, doctor's office, etc, masking provides more protection against them spreading it than not masking. Until everyone who wants to be vaccinated can be  - including kids - we need to keep masks in public places for that reason. (Now if someone lives where there is very low positivity, good for them...I don't live there, lol)

3 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Just a question:  right now vaccines are available for 12 and up, correct?  Are there trials/ plans under way for vaccinating younger than 12 at some point?  My kids are adults but if they were younger then I think that I would just add it to their vaccine schedule once they reached the age of eligibility (depending on the science at that point).  Prior to that, probably masks in public. 

** answering hypothetically is hard because I have always parented my kids very specifically to their personal situation so I know that I would have talked to their own doctors about it and taken their recommendation for my particular kids. 

As of yesterday yes, 12 yr olds and up can be vaccinated. Will be around September, hopefully, that under 12 can be vaccinated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So my area has about 20 of eligibles fully vaxxed.  I'm going out today with my kids to get their vax and do some shopping and mini golf.  We will be masked I'm guess given the attitudes around here that 80% will be unmasked indoors.   

My plan is to mask for the next 5 weeks since the big kids have to.  After that I will likely let everyone go unmasked.    My little is only 2 so very low risk and mostly masks to be like her big sisters.  

If we are situation where the two year old or like my younger nephews have to mask than I will mask in solidarity.

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

Yes. Trials are underway for everything from six months up. There have been some predictions younger kids will have a vaccine approved by September, but more recently I’ve been hearing that might not be until early 2022.

1 minute ago, kokotg said:

Yes. Trials are happening now; I think I saw some speculation recently that there'd be a vaccine approved for younger kids by fall. Which is all the more reason I wish the CDC had at least held off until schools were out for summer. 

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

My point is, we have people saying there is no reason to mask up, masks are not effective. But we have surgeons wear them because they do prevent contamination as you breathe out. No, I wouldn't want a Covid positive surgeon, but given that I have no idea if any random person is covid positive or not, when I'm at the store, doctor's office, etc, masking provides more protection against them spreading it than not masking. Until everyone who wants to be vaccinated can be  - including kids - we need to keep masks in public places for that reason. (Now if someone lives where there is very low positivity, good for them...I don't live there, lol)

As of yesterday yes, 12 yr olds and up can be vaccinated. Will be around September, hopefully, that under 12 can be vaccinated. 

So my hypothetical answer for if I had kids younger than 12 would be that we would mask until they were eligible for a mask in four months to a year.  (Which makes it a bit better than saying "forever"  😉  ) 

• Like 3

In this country with widespread free availability of vaccines (though I understand the issues with access in some communities) I put a lot of weight on getting the vaccine into my family.  Then those who have chosen differently can deal with whatever consequences might come from their decision - and I understand that there might not be any negative consequences for their decision. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

So my hypothetical answer for if I had kids younger than 12 would be that we would mask until they were eligible for a mask in four months to a year.  (Which makes it a bit better than saying "forever"  😉  ) 

That's out plan. Actually, if places drop mask mandates (stores I mean...they are already gone at legal level), my kids will stay home. Them wearing a mask is not much protection in a store of unmasked people, half of whom are not vaccinated. Really, other than to try on shoes or whatever, they already are other than the 4 yr old who likes to come with me. She will have to stay home too though. 

• Like 6

I would tell my kids to mask only if I thought there was a good reason for it.  And I would probably avoid most crowded situations regardless of masks, because let's be honest, masks don't guarantee anything.

I would be glad to make the decision based on a rational view of the situation of the moment.

I am not worried about young kids getting Covid, as long as their ability to spread it is limited.  Families have different valid ways of limiting spread to at-risk individuals.

As for some kids finding themselves "different" from others re masks - that is not a good enough reason to make every kid mask.  That's just part of growing up, just like having to wear glasses, prosthetics, braces, longer skirts/shorts than others, not being allowed make-up or earrings, or being that kid whose mom forces them to wear a jacket when it's 69 degrees.  😛

Edited by SKL
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Everyone is saying September for younger children, but I'm hearing from folks in trials that they have no idea where that came from and that January possibly for 5-11 year olds and later for preschoolers?  

It was from Pfizer, during their quarterly earnings statement. https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/05/04/world/covid-vaccine-coronavirus-cases

• Like 2

Just now, AbcdeDooDah said:

The confusing messaging is not unique to the CDC. Now masks protect the wearer? 

The pushback against at relaxing mask standards suggests a lack of confidence in the vaccine and might be part of the "why vaccinate, then?" stance many are taking.

I have confidence the vaccine protects as well as it says it does, but that's not 100 percent. I also have zero confidence that people that are NOT vaccinated won't also stop wearing masks, thus putting others - those too young to be masked, or those with compromised immune systems who don't have a robust response to the vaccine, at risk. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

There is very little data on how often they catch it because no one wants to have their kid tested regularly. In fact, I don't know ANYONE that has tested their kid - and that includes kids with known close contact to Covid positive people. And kids with mild symptoms. No one test their kids, so we don't know. 

That means people say "we have no evidence that kids are getting infected at high rates" which SOUNDS good until you realize we have no evidence they are not, either. We just have no real evidence, lol. 

We know teens spread it as well as adults. We just don't know with kids. And although it is too soon to know long term effects, studies have found a significant number of kids are sick for weeks to months before recovering - and that sounds bad enough. I don' want my kid being sick for say, 6 weeks when I could prevent it. 

Most families I know who have caught it had all their kids tested. Many times adults living in the same house with children never passed it to their children and they were all tested. Tests aren't perfect but what is the likelihood that all 6 children would test negative. The oldest who is 17 (more like an adult) did get it.  I think the Dept. of Health saw this pattern over myriads of families to the point that as long as the kid tests negative and has no symptoms it is no longer recommended that they quarantine even though they are living in a home with a symptomatic adult.

You can't base public policy on outliers. It is too costly. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I had my kid tested after she was exposed, in order to make rational decisions about the rest of the family's activities.  The rapid test is really no big deal at all.  I wonder why such a fuss is made about it.  The PCR test is less pleasant, but not a huge deal either.  The way people act like it's a horrific assault?  I used to get throat cultures for strep that were way worse than that.

I also had all 3 of us tested for antibodies after learning that a housemate had them.  We all tested negative.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

The pushback against at relaxing mask standards suggests a lack of confidence in the vaccine and might be part of the "why vaccinate, then?" stance many are taking.

I would have no problem with relaxing mask standards if I thought it was only going to affect the behavior of vaccinated people. You can see from the responses in this very thread that that is absolutely not the case. 

• Like 8

Just now, kokotg said:

I would have no problem with relaxing mask standards if I thought it was only going to affect the behavior of vaccinated people. You can see from the responses in this very thread that that is absolutely not the case. 

Yep. The problem comes from the same quarter time and time again.

The vaccine refusers will celebrate by not masking and thereby put young children and those who are immune compromised at risk.

We have some seriously backward and unethical people in our midsts. Big problem.

Bill

• Like 10

49 minutes ago, SKL said:

Yeah, I had my kid tested after she was exposed, in order to make rational decisions about the rest of the family's activities.  The rapid test is really no big deal at all.  I wonder why such a fuss is made about it.  The PCR test is less pleasant, but not a huge deal either.  The way people act like it's a horrific assault?  I used to get throat cultures for strep that were way worse than that.

I also had all 3 of us tested for antibodies after learning that a housemate had them.  We all tested negative.

I'll be honest, I had no idea until I had the test myself just yesterday that the rapid test was NOT done the same way. I immediately posted on social media that it was no big deal, and I'd totally do it for a kid. The PCR on the other hand...unpleasant and might not take a kid to do that. I think many people, myself included, thought all tests were that deep dive to the brain style, and so didn't want to put their kids through that. They REALLY should have advertised that the rapid test is painless and not uncomfortable. I think a LOT more people would test, not just kids. I can't be the only one that didn't know. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I'll be honest, I had no idea until I had the test myself just yesterday that the rapid test was NOT done the same way. I immediately posted on social media that it was no big deal, and I'd totally do it for a kid. The PCR on the other hand...unpleasant and might not take a kid to do that. I think many people, myself included, thought all tests were that deep dive to the brain style, and so didn't want to put their kids through that. They REALLY should have advertised that the rapid test is painless and not uncomfortable. I think a LOT more people would test, not just kids. I can't be the only one that didn't know. 

Here in CA, we did the tests ourselves. In addition to the high rate of false negatives, how many didn't do it correctly?

37 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Awful lot of assholes running around, including those who have not been able to get appointments and those who haven't for other reasons. They outnumber the hesitant/ declining.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/12/us/covid-vaccines-vulnerable.html

We really need accessible vaccines for all who want them.  

I think, hope, that those people who are still waiting for appointments to get their vaccines will still mask in public.  

I’m not wasting time and energy worrying about people who plan to get the vaccine and are masking and following guidelines for the unvaccinated while they wait.  That seems like no big deal.

I think the a-hole comment referred more to the people who do not plan to get a vaccine, ever, and will not wear a mask.  The ones that may even lie and say/imply they are vaccinated, or carry one of the fake vaccine cards that are available online.  I do not want my at risk kid around those unmasked people, even if she’s wearing a mask.  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Gotta wonder if all those saying that masks don't prevent people from spreading disease/droplets/infection would be fine with their surgeon not wearing a surgical mask when operating on them? 

Good question. I'm going to use that one!

5 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I think, hope, that those people who are still waiting for appointments to get their vaccines will still mask in public.  

I’m not wasting time and energy worrying about people who plan to get the vaccine and are masking and following guidelines for the unvaccinated while they wait.  That seems like no big deal.

I think the a-hole comment referred more to the people who do not plan to get a vaccine, ever, and will not wear a mask.  The ones that may even lie and say/imply they are vaccinated, or carry one of the fake vaccine cards that are available online.  I do not want my at risk kid around those unmasked people, even if she’s wearing a mask.  

I get that. There's just no way of knowing. You're wasting time and energy on something you have no control over. 

There are also people who plan on getting vaccinated that might take their masks off, too.

Edited by AbcdeDooDah

23 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

PCR tests done by our health department are not the deep ones either.  Done ourselves and instructed to only go as far in as the brush tip.  

My kids will be unmasked outdoors.  I'm not going to take them to indoor public spaces.  That means no stores, church, or library, which isn't too different from how we've been for the past year because even with masks required there are too many inconsiderate/just-plain-stupid people who don't mask correctly.  Any doctor appointments will be scheduled to be the first of the day.  I'm pretty  confident our pediatrician and dentist will continue masking at work even if they are vaccinated.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

PCR tests done by our health department are not the deep ones either.  Done ourselves and instructed to only go as far in as the brush tip.  

Ah. Mine was the jaw dropping "wow...should I feel that nasal swab in my eye, my ear, and my throat all at the same time?" type. 

A friend said that at Shands UF they are doing saliva tests. 

6 minutes ago, Spryte said:

IME the anti's are not hiding their position, and I don't see them as likely to lie about it.

Mask or no mask, I don't think people should assume there are no germs in their midst.

• Like 2

I do think that we are approaching the point where we have about the same risk of passing illness as we had before Covid.  There always was and always will be some chance that communicable illnesses are in our vicinity.  I think some people have become unwilling to accept that reality.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Yeah. Clearly and obviously.

The rest is a deflection to distract from the unethical people who refuse to get vaccinated and refuse to mask and thereby put other people's lives at risk.

Lifting the mask requirement puts children at risk from exposure to these people who just don't care.

Bill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Yeah. Clearly and obviously.

The rest is a deflection to distract from the unethical people who refuse to get vaccinated and refuse to mask and thereby put other people's lives at risk.

Lifting the mask requirement puts children at risk from exposure to these people who just don't care.

Bill

There is nothing you can do about them.

Just now, AbcdeDooDah said:

There is nothing you can do about them.

We could continue to require they wear masks until kids can be fully vaccinated too. Hopefully between willing adults and kids we can get closer to herd immunity which will help protect the people who don't mount a good vaccine response or can't be vaccinated. 4 more months. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

If a store or indoor event etc says masks are required then everyone masks and anti mask people mask up or are ejected.

Now if a store or indoor event etc says unvaccinated must mask then anti mask people will just skip it.  They never wanted to wear one and now they will get away with it.  Covid still spreads this way.

Regarding kids not getting as sick: what if keeping the spread going by making it near impossible to make unvaccinated people mask up creates a variant that does make kids sick?

Why can't the US do really hard things for the greater good?  Frustrating!

• Like 8

I'm going to continue to require masks in my elementary Sunday School class, and will mask in solidarity with my students.

Already worried about the fall, as I will have a student whose parents left the church because the leadership dared to "strongly recommend" masks at one point. They've returned and likely feel right at home again now, as almost no one is wearing them.

Edited by MercyA
  • Sad 6

Just now, ktgrok said:

We could continue to require they wear masks until kids can be fully vaccinated too. Hopefully between willing adults and kids we can get closer to herd immunity which will help protect the people who don't mount a good vaccine response or can't be vaccinated. 4 more months. 

So e vaccinated are more than ready to shed the masks so that won't happen. 

At the beginning people here were happy with the CDC recommendations and said we should all follow CDC guidelines. Scoffing at those who  think they know better than the CDC.

• Like 1