Menu

CDC removing mask mandate what will you do with dc under 12

hshibley

34 minutes ago, SKL said:

It's also possible that Covid, or this variant, impacts that biological population more than ours.  Though Brazil is a diverse country with a lot of mixed people, there are still large populations of poor indigenous people.  Indigenous people even in the USA tend to be hit harder by Covid.

Yep, and I think we should feel a responsibility to do what we can to protect them, rather than a “every person for themself” attitude. 

15 minutes ago, SKL said:

This article says that in the US, when adjusted for age distribution, indigenous people are 3.3x as likely to die of Covid compared to white people. 

https://www.apmresearchlab.org/covid/deaths-by-race

Thanks for providing the stat and link. Unfortunately, I’ve long thought this particular fact is part of what has led a portion of the population to blow off Covid as no big deal. They see it affects “them” badly, but not a worry for “us” 😢

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, SKL said:

I remember a story early in the pandemic where a dad in Wuhan was locked up in the hospital with Covid, and nobody would go to his house to care for his special needs son, who eventually died of neglect.  It makes you wonder what's happening with children whose caregivers, often grandparents, disappear from the scene because of Covid.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/05/india-children-orphans-covid.html

I found some data on Twitter that someone (@ RV_Joly, affiliation French Center for Scientific Research) compiled from Brazilian government sources in April, comparing age-stratified percentages of total mortality for 2020 vs 2021. From that, the percentages of total hospitalizations actually decreased slightly for under 18.
Hospitalization 1.5% 2020, 1.2% 2021. 
Deaths 0.6% 2020, 0.3% 2021.
Also decreased for 80+, possibly reflecting vaccinations in that group. 

So I have to conclude that US reporting of pediatric disease in Brazil was sloppy, but what’s new? 

I am pretty sure you can find numbers of US pediatric hospitalizations at CDC or HHS. 

For children at risk, I saw that monoclonal antibodies are available for age 12 and up with obesity and certain other criteria or conditions, which is very good news. 

Edited by Penelope

7 hours ago, KSera said:

Thanks for providing the stat and link. Unfortunately, I’ve long thought this particular fact is part of what has led a portion of the population to blow off Covid as no big deal. They see it affects “them” badly, but not a worry for “us” 😢

I have felt this way too. 😞

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, SKL said:

I remember a story early in the pandemic where a dad in Wuhan was locked up in the hospital with Covid, and nobody would go to his house to care for his special needs son, who eventually died of neglect.  It makes you wonder what's happening with children whose caregivers, often grandparents, disappear from the scene because of Covid.

That is so awful! Yes, so many children again often poverty is at play here, could be at high risk for all kinds of tragedy if caregivers get covid and there is no safety net, no back up system, no relatives or neighbors keeping a close watch and willing to intervene.

I weep for the children of the world. They suffer so very much.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 1

I went shopping today.  You all will be happy to know that:

• The stores' signs said "masks are optional for fully vaccinated individuals."
  • There were very few people there without masks indoors.  Like less than 5% were either unmasked or wearing the mask below the nose.

This, coupled with the increase in vax uptake, suggests that the effect of the CDC announcement has been positive for public health, at least here.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, SKL said:

I went shopping today.  You all will be happy to know that:

• The stores' signs said "masks are optional for fully vaccinated individuals."
  • There were very few people there without masks indoors.  Like less than 5% were either unmasked or wearing the mask below the nose.

This, coupled with the increase in vax uptake, suggests that the effect of the CDC announcement has been positive for public health, at least here.

That's great. I'm glad it's working out like that!!