Menu

Are most college applications pretty straightforward for homeschoolers?

EKT

I'd love to hear about your child's college admissions experiences. (My IRL homeschool friends seem to be having good experiences; one friend just happily shared that her son got a full-tuition scholarship to a small liberal arts school, and other friends have similarly reported great results, like full merit scholarships to multiple schools, etc.). That said, I sometimes hear horror stories (here and elsewhere) about homeschoolers being treated with hostility when it comes to college admissions. I guess I feel like I don't have an accurate picture of things; do colleges love homeschoolers or hate us?! Was your homeschooled child treated with hostility? I'd love to hear your first-hand experiences. Thanks!

We didn't do highly competitive schools but for smaller LACs and state schools we had no problems as homeschoolers. The only thing different for 2021 homeschoolers was that this year our state flagship went test optional for scholarships. Applicants could choose to apply for test optional scholarships or the automatic scholarship based on ACT scores/GPA. Homeschoolers were not given this option. The test optional scholarship application was closed to homeschoolers.

My oldest was a 2016 grad. I also had a 2018 grad and a 2021 grad. I do feel like the admissions folks were a little more skeptical of homeschoolers for this youngest kid. So, I wouldn't say that they hated us or loved us.  They did seem to want to make sure that we submitted a transcript in that was readable to them. We got this from two schools for our 2021 grad and I'd never heard that before. Once we assured them our transcript would be readable they were happy. I can't imagine what kind of transcripts they have been getting that prompted the concern. 

I can't speak to the highly competitive schools but for most schools I really think the main thing is that test optional may be an option for traditionally schooled kids and not for homeschoolers. 

I think it isn't necessarily a big bias against homeschoolers as the admissions people just not really understanding sometimes. Sometimes a phone call or a visit can clear up and misunderstandings. 

• Like 2

Yes. The common app adds some extra hoops, but that was about it. My senior picked a school that did have extra requirements on paper, but they were only required if you didn't submit a test score. The state schools were no problem at all.

• Like 2

It was a lot more work for ME, as the parent, since I had to do all the counselor parts myself, but the application process for my son was pretty straightforward. There were a couple of schools that had more stringent testing requirements for homeschoolers and there were a couple that wanted some sort of portfolio in addition to the regular application materials (so make sure to save some examples of work across subjects. Lab reports seemed to be one thing that schools wanted to see in particular). But he definitely wasn't treated with hostility! He applied mostly to small LACs; we did not get the impression that any of them were unused to dealing with homeschool applicants. ETA: our state flagship was definitely the most PITA one to deal with; they have very specific requirements to "prove" you've met their college prep course requirements. But they were the exception and not the rule (and he did get accepted there and offered a spot in the honors program. But he was fairly gleeful about turning them down). 

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 1

No hostility.  There was an extra section of the Common  App that I had to deal with, and occasionally a supplement here and there, but no hostility.  More like curiosity.   I looked at the additional questions and requirements as an opportunity--and opportunity to show off my students' hard work and amazingness.

That said, I think it helps a whole lot to have evidence that corroborates the mommy grades--SAT/ACT/AP scores, grades from outside courses, DE grades, that sort of thing.  (Frankly, I think that the test optional movement is going to be bad for homeschoolers.  Once the dust settles, the only people submitting scores are going to be high scoring folk, and they will be the ones who homeschoolers with scores are compared to.  Not good.)

• Like 8

Add us to the group that doesn't try for highly competitive schools. (Well, University of Central Florida is supposed to be difficult for out of state kids, but not like lottery level hard.) We're searching for merit money.

Schools were very welcoming to my dd#1. She was a National Merit Finalist & that opens $$ doors at certain schools. The competitive scholarship committee at one school told her something along the lines of to be grateful to her mom for doing a good job. They liked her somewhat off-beat classes.

Dd#2 only applied 2 places -- neither academic powerhouses & was happily welcomed at both.

If you package your stuff well & things are clear & professional, I think that goes a long way. 

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 5

DD only applied to state universities,  was a National Merit Finalist with a high ACT score, and I was very happy with how easy applications went!  No one had any issues with my transcript or classes.   I think everyone at all the schools we visited or applied to seemed welcoming and encouraging. 

I have another who probably won't have those high stats, but I don't anticipate any problems.   

• Like 3

My adult dc both attended state schools.  The applications were very easy and straight-forward.  They had to list how many years of high school they were homeschooled, but that's the only difference I remember.  I sent a transcript, but not my course descriptions; the admissions office didn't want them.  

• Like 1

Occasionally you'll see a comment here about a school not being homeschool friendly. Even that usually means they have extra hoops for homeschoolers that are founded on ignorance of homeschooling, but not really hostile. Northwestern still has 3 SAT subject tests listed as required, even though those don't exist anymore and one of the traits they want to see from applicants is "intellectual curiosity". Because everyone knows more standardized tests = intellectual curiosity. :-) 

The big state U we've been in contact with has a very responsive admissions rep who is specifically homeschool focused.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know for Agnes, our first meeting with the Admissions counselor for our state included her explaining that the extras for homeschoolers are really "If you don't have grades/test scores", and that the same applied to non-traditional private schools that do written evaluations etc. Basically, it's a route to accept students who do not have all the boxes checked, but would be a good fit for an LAC. I think that's the case for CTCL schools in general. It's not that they necessarily require extra hoops from homeschoolers, but that there has to be SOME way that they can evaluate the student, which can be a detailed transcript with course descriptions, outside classes, test scores, or things like lab reports and English papers. 

The state schools literally didn't seem to care as long as the kid has the right test score. I suspect I could have typed Mary had a little lamb for all the course descriptions and they would have accepted the ACT and GPA. 

• Like 3

DD applied to 12 schools, among them several who are extremely selective, and did not encounter any obstacles as a homeschooler. DS only applied to two schools and did not have any issues either. Both received scholarships.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

There are a few schools that ask for some extras from homeschoolers - an interview, an extra letter of rec, or a weird form (if it's a Common App school, it's linked if you select that you're a homeschooler on the school app). None of those are that hard. Same with asking for syllabi/course descriptions. Honestly, I think it's better to do those. Having an extra form is annoying, but not a big deal. And all these things are usually helpful for a student in admissions. Interviews, extra letters, a write up of all the amazing things that made your courses great... these are things that HELP your student most of the time - they don't hold them back. They help them get more attention from admissions. And this is all true at tippy top schools and higher acceptance rate ones.

I will say there are a few schools that are weird. A few ask for a GED - some will budge if you have dual enrollment, but a few will not. But it's so, so few. Like, so few. Don't let a couple of schools that you've probably never heard of overrule the reality that is hundreds and hundreds of schools that are super welcoming.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Can we name and shame them? 😂

I don’t personally know which ones are hostile, I am naming Yale as the most condescending one I have ever seen! Shame on them. ☺️

heh. Well, I'll name the University of Georgia as being a PITA for homeschoolers. And I think that IS a big deal since it's our state flagship...I know plenty of homeschoolers who are intimidated enough by the requirements that they don't bother to apply. They require evidence of completion for all college prep classes in the form of a test score or a grade on an accredited transcript. I e-mailed them to ask if they'd be reevaluating this based on subject tests going away (they don't accept CLEP tests) and was told that no, the only options would be DE or another accredited course or an AP test. A subject test was our plan to satisfy the requirement for biology for my 9th grader, and now that's out. So either he'll need to take another biology class at some point (he's doing it at home this year), or he won't be applying there, or he'll apply and cross his fingers that they overlook it. (Not applying there isn't necessarily a huge deal for our family, since we get enough need based aid at a lot of schools that they can compete with in-state public prices, but it would be for a lot of families with higher incomes than we have but not high enough to pay for a private school out of state).

Hamilton and Oberlin were the ones my oldest applied to that wanted some kind of portfolio, but the wording was vague, so we just sent in some of his work from various subjects, and he was accepted to both so I guess it was good enough.

Emory wanted 3 subject tests from homeschoolers. He only had 2, but he applied anyway and was eventually offered a space off the waitlist, so that appears not to have been a strict requirement either. ETA: just checked Emory's website to see how they've responded to this wacky year, and they now just say ACT or SAT for homeschool applicants and that subject tests or AP scores are "helpful" ...when my son applied he was told specifically that AP scores could not stand in for subject test scores.

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would like to encourage everybody who finds language on the admissions page that seems to add unreasonable hurdles for homeschoolers to contact the school and ask for clarification. We encountered a university whose admission page had the wording

"If transcripts from an accredited home-schooling program are not available, an official copy of a GED certificate must be submitted for consideration for admission. "

We contacted admissions and asked for clarification, mentioning that in our state, only students who are not enrolled in highschool may take the GED, and that an 11th or 12th grader in a homeschool that is complying with state law would not even be eligible.
We received a reply stating that the wording "can be confusing to all of our homeschool applicants.  We take homeschool transcripts.  The student does not have to take the GED if complying with state law.  " (Now if they knew it was confusing, why was the language still there?"

Anyway, not everything it says on an admissions website is what they actually mean 🙂

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

@kokotgis Georgia Tech the same way? Requiring proofs for each course?

He didn't apply to Tech, so I didn't look into it as closely, but I don't think so. I have heard of Tech being especially picky about lab sciences for homeschoolers, but that was years ago, and I don't know how it is currently.

ETA: just peeked at their website. This is all they say about homeschoolers: 

In order to holistically review students from unaccredited home school programs, our Admission Committee recommends submission of supplementary information to demonstrate academic ability in core academic areas.

While not required, one or more of the following items are particularly helpful in our assessment of achievement and excellence in math, foreign language, social studies/social science and lab science:

• Previous college coursework
  • AP/IB test scores
Edited by kokotg
  • Thanks 1

SUNY schools are a pain. I’ve not known or worked with a student outside NY applying, but I’ve heard they are not compromising. If you live in NY, you can get this paper from your district apparently. UDC is absolutely uncompromising. GED or else. I’ve heard some other private HBCU’s can be like that too. Not the biggest names like Howard or Morehouse, but some others. Um... is it Occidental that insists on the CHPSE or a GED? There’s somewhere in California. I have a whole list on my computer, but I’m away from home right now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Occidental was in the list. Yes, it’s here in CA. 
I am taking it off now. 

Double check that! I’m not totally positive it was Occidental. It’s one of those small California colleges that you wouldn’t expect though...

7 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Double check that! I’m not totally positive it was Occidental. It’s one of those small California colleges that you wouldn’t expect though...

I did. It’s them. 
“We encourage you to obtain a transcript/certification from a local education authority. If external transcripts/certificates are not available, syllabi of high school courses (including topics covered, how a student is assessed, and textbooks used) should be submitted with your transcript.”

Not a big loss. Oh well. 

and as you keep reading their page for homeschoolers, you realize they think we are savages who haven’t seen the civilization or know how to communicate. 
I could say many things about PS kids here and all the drinking, cheating, smoking and whatnot, but I am going to pour some wine now and pass the bean dip. 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 1

Just now, Roadrunner said:

I did. It’s them. 
“We encourage you to obtain a transcript/certification from a local education authority. If external transcripts/certificates are not available, syllabi of high school courses (including topics covered, how a student is assessed, and textbooks used) should be submitted with your transcript.”

Not a big loss. Oh well. 

Well... that’s NOT them then. That’s just asking for course descriptions/syllabi, which you should do anyway. It’s somewhere else 🤷‍♀️ Sorry I’m not at my computer to look at my notes!

2 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Well... that’s NOT them then. That’s just asking for course descriptions/syllabi, which you should do anyway. It’s somewhere else 🤷‍♀️ Sorry I’m not at my computer to look at my notes!

Oh they are the school we would never look at again after reading their homeschool page. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NewnameC said:

I remember reading on here, or a different website, about another school in Georgia that had ridiculous extras for homeschool graduates.

I will try to see if I can find it. 

I think it might be Emory. They have relayed their stance somewhat but they still do not give DE credit. Credits only count for either high school or college. 

• Like 1

Oldest applied to 3 schools via Common App. Rose Hulman, Indiana U, and Purdue. Was accepted to all 3, got the largest merit scholarship possible from both IU and Rose Hulman, but ended up at Purdue because it was still cheaper paying full price than it was with the scholarships at the other places 😳 Thank youuuuuuuu, Mitch Daniels, for freezing tuition!!! 😊

Next oldest only applied to Purdue via Common App and got the biggest merit scholarship they give (basically full tuition for IN residents).

First time through the Common App was a pain in *my* behind and resulted in lots of stress for *me* as far as writing a homeschool philosophy and a school profile and whatnot, but after the stress if the first time it was easy to tweak for kid #2. And the Common App was easy for the student part.

None of the schools were hostile, although they all displayed varying levels of cluelessness. At a scholarship interview day at IU, DS said they asked some questions about whether he'd be able to work with groups 🙄 And the one time I actually asked an admissions officer a question, they had no idea. So I basically just had them apply through the Common App as hs'ers and didn't deal at all with admissions officers at all and let their transcript and course descriptions and stuff speak for themselves. I didn't hide that they were hs'ed at all - the name of our school is "Last Name Homeschool" and I talked about it in my counselor letter and they are listed as hs'ed with the Common App. So there were some extra hoops to jump with me as their counselor, but as far as their student portion of the application, they were treated as any other student.

• Like 7

On 5/15/2021 at 4:39 AM, Roadrunner said:

Can we name and shame them? 😂

University of Waterloo in Canada. The would not accept any homeschool courses, transcript, course description, school profile etc. It was testing only that got a homeschooler in.

We had a wonderful experience with Carnegie Mellon and U of M, Ann Arbor. They were very supportive of a well documented homeschool program. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

This is from UConn’s website. 

Application information may fit in a box, but our applicants shouldn’t. Certain populations require additional components to the application. 

The other population are fine arts applicants, which makes sense.

The homeschool application requirements:

Home-schooled applicants are asked to submit transcripts and an outline of their academic curriculum. Please ensure that your outline is specific and comprehensive. Students should submit syllabi, a portfolio or learning log, standardized test scores (optional), and official college transcripts, if applicable. Please indicate whether the curriculum has been conducted under an accredited program. Documentation should verify that the home-school program meets the high school graduation requirements of the applicant’s home town.”

How would you document home town high school graduation requirements? Is there such a thing In Connecticut?

On 5/15/2021 at 3:17 PM, Lilaclady said:

I think it might be Emory. They have relayed their stance somewhat but they still do not give DE credit. Credits only count for either high school or college. 

I’m pretty sure it was a public school, but I don’t remember the name. I searched for Georgia and homeschool applicants. Here is what I found. (I also found the UConn requirements in the search results for some reason.) 

Here is Georgia College:

Home Schooled Students: Georgia College welcomes qualified home schooled applicants and applicants from non-accredited high schools. Georgia College and the Board of Regents have established guidelines for admission of home schooled students and students from non-accredited/recognized high schools.

Students with a diploma from a regionally accredited home study program such as the American School or the Seton Home Study School or a diploma from the Center of the Accrediting Council for Independent Study (Georgia only) will be given the same consideration for admission as a student from a public high school.

Admission of home schooled students from programs not included in the previous paragraph and students from non-accredited schools will be made based on students having an SAT or ACT test score equal to or above the average score of the previous year's entering freshman class, (the average SAT for freshmen enrolled Fall 2014 was 1157, the equivalent ACT composite score is 25) and providing a portfolio and/or other evidence of having the equivalent of the Georgia high school college preparatory curriculum as defined by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia. Supplementary documentation may include scores on the Iowa Test for Academic Proficiency, the California Achievement Test, or the Stanford Achievement Test. Students may also be considered for admission based on the regular freshman evaluation process AND meeting or exceeding the following SAT II subject exam scores and showing proficiency with a foreign language equivalent to two years of high school foreign language completion. The required SAT II subject exams and minimum scores are as follows. (So an ITBS test counts as validation? Seems strange, but relatively easy for homeschooling families to provide.)

MINIMUM SCORES 

The chart didn’t copy correctly.

Foreign language proficiency must be satisfied by completing a college level foreign language class with a grade of "C" or better at another accredited/recognized college or university OR provide GC with your College Level Examination Program (CLEP) score of at least 50, or by passing a proficiency exam

Georgia State:

Students attending a home-school program approved by any of these accreditation agencies should apply like traditional high school applicants.

• Georgia (or any other state’s) Accrediting Commission
  • Georgia Private School Accrediting Commission
  • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges
  • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Northwest Accreditation Commission
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges

If you were educated at a non-accredited high school or through a home-school program that hasn’t been approved by Georgia State, you’re considered a home-school applicant. Home-school applicants must also be able to demonstrate completion of the Required High School Curriculum (RHSC) requirements as mandated by the Board of Regents:

SUBJECT: UNITS: COURSES:
ENGLISH 4 Any 4 English or language arts.
MATH 4 Algebra I, algebra II, geometry and 1 higher-level math.
NATURAL SCIENCE 4 1 life science/lab, 1 physical science/lab and 2 science electives.
SOCIAL SCIENCE 3 1 U.S. history, 1 world history and 1 social science elective.
FOREIGN LANGUAGE 2 Both units must be the same language. American Sign Language is acceptable.

Portfolio. You can demonstrate RHSC competence by submitting a portfolio detailing your years of high school study if you meet the following criteria:

• SAT score of at least 1230 (critical reading and math) or an ACT score of at least 23 (composite)
  • Board of Regents’ minimum criteria for each section:
    • SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing score of at least 480 and SAT Math score of at least 440
    • ACT English or Reading score of at least 17 and ACT Math score of at least 17
  • SAT and ACT test scores must be submitted electronically directly from the testing organization.
  • To satisfy the RHSC requirement, your portfolio must include the following information:
    • A transcript listing courses taken by year
    • Course title
    • Course description
    • List of course learning materials, including textbooks and software
    • Course credit
    • Year completed
    • Grade earned
    • Source (public school, private school, correspondence program, or home generated curriculum)

Letter of completion. A letter from the primary teacher or program administrator certifying completion of high school and date of high school graduation.

Georgia Southern has special requirements, but you need to call to find out what they are.

Students from accredited homeschool programs should meet regular admission criteria.

Applicants graduating from non-accredited homeschools or high schools must meet the admission criteria required of other applicants but may demonstrate their graduation and completion of the RHSC in an alternative way, including a course portfolio. Please contact your admissions counselor for additional information.

Kennesaw State

Home Educated Students

Students attending non-accredited homeschools are required to complete
the homeschool portfolio and take the Accuplacer through our testing
center. You may sign up for the Accuplacer at testing.kennesaw.edu.

The following are the minimum Accuplacer test scores to be considered for
admission:

• 237 on the Reading Comprehension test
  • 258 on the Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics test
  • 4 on the WritePlacer test

And a 7 page portfolio

https://admissions.kennesaw.edu/admissions-requirements/docs/Home Ed Portfolio 19-20.pdf

UGA has a few hoops to jump, too. (DH's company is based in Atlanta, so I've kept an eye on GA)

https://www.admissions.uga.edu/admissions/first-year/home-educated-students/

If a student is home-educated or attends a non-accredited high school, he or she must demonstrate their academic ability through standardized test scores and/or accredited course work. The student must also be able to validate completion of all CPC subject areas through submission of the following:

• Official scores from the SAT or ACT (for math and English only), SAT II, International Baccalaureate (IB) and/or Advanced Placement (AP) exams
  • Coursework for credit that appears on an official college or an accredited high school transcript

Upon completion of an application file with the required documentation, the University of Georgia will review the entire application file of a student who has been home-educated or who has attended a non-accredited high school. From the pool of academically qualified students, UGA will select the students who are most competitive for first-year admission.