Menu

University of Waterloo CEMC math contests are homeschool friendly

Or at least the grade 7 one is.

My eldest just did the grade 7 contest (Gauss) remotely, and had a very good experience.

I thought I'd post to let you all know that this contest is homeschooler friendly - easy to register as a homeschool, and not expensive.  $5 CAD per school plus $4 CAD per kid.

(I remember writing these myself in high school.  They were fun then too!)

• Like 1

The only other math contest he's done is Math Kangaroo  (which according to their marketing material here is a "game", not a contest).

CEMC Gauss contest felt similar to Grade 7 Kangaroo, but Gauss felt a little more serious, and the Gauss questions are definitely better written than Kangaroo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wathe said:

The only other math contest he's done is Math Kangaroo  (which according to their marketing material here is a "game", not a contest).

CEMC Gauss contest felt similar to Grade 7 Kangaroo, but Gauss felt a little more serious, and the Gauss questions are definitely better written than Kangaroo.

Yeah, those are serious contests, unlike the Math Kangaroo! 

I wonder if we're allowed to register?? My kids are supposed to be technically Canadian, lol, although they didn't actually process the papers we sent in the fall 😞 . (We'll have to do it in person, I think.) 

3 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Oooh. Can one do these as a non-Canadian? Because then maybe we'll do them next year. 

I think so.  Eligibility page.  I see that there is a requirement to attend school in Canada to be and official contestant for the Euclid, but then on the same page: "Any student may write the Euclid contest. Note that both Canadian and international students that write the Euclid contest are eligible for scholarship consideration."  So that's a little confusing

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I wonder if we're allowed to register?? My kids are supposed to be technically Canadian, lol, although they didn't actually process the papers we sent in the fall 😞 . (We'll have to do it in person, I think.) 

Oh no. Really? That much of a delay?

Thanks for sharing this contest!

I wonder if the eligibility is based on being in a Canadian school (i.e. being a resident) rather than citizenship?

Edited by stripe
  • Like 1

@Not_a_NumberCloser reading of my contest administration instructions:  There are two contest dates, one for North and South America, and one for outside North and South America.  Strongly implying that international participation is a thing.  I think you're good.

The eligibility seems stricter for the Euclid only (grade 12 exam). I'm guessing because that's the one with scholarships attached?

• Like 1

The great thing about Waterloo Math Contests is that they post past contests and answers. These are wonderful to spice up the regular curriculum just for fun. The answer keys are amazing - often giving a couple different ways to tackle the questions. 

As homeschoolers, all 4 of my dc did many of the official contests, which was always a nice experience, but truly just doing the past contests was the most fun and great learning opportunities. 

https://www.cemc.uwaterloo.ca/contests/past_contests.html

Just now, wintermom said:

The great thing about Waterloo Math Contests is that they post past contests and answers. These are wonderful to spice up the regular curriculum just for fun. The answer keys are amazing - often giving a couple different ways to tackle the questions. 

As homeschoolers, all 4 of my dc did many of the official contests, which was always a nice experience, but truly just doing the past contests was the most fun and great learning opportunities. 

https://www.cemc.uwaterloo.ca/contests/past_contests.html

We've found doing old AMCs super useful in the same way 🙂 . 

• 1 year later...