Menu

Ohio offering financial incentive including full ride scholarship for vaccination; also ending most health orders June 2nd

cintinative

So in a weird twist Ohio has decided that they will address vaccine hesitancy by offering a potential financial prize.  $1M to an adult who is vaccinated, with a total of five winners.  For the 12-17 year old age bracket, full tuition/room & board to an Ohio university to a 12-17 year old who is vaccinated with a total of five winners. 

They will be dropping almost all the health orders (except some pertaining to nursing homes and assisted living) on June 2nd.  The idea is to get people vaccinated (or started on their 2 dose) before then.  

https://content.govdelivery.com/attachments/OHOOD/2021/05/12/file_attachments/1807172/2021-05-12 As Prepared Remarks.pdf

We planned to vaccinate the boys anyway, so the full ride is a nice "carrot" but I am not sure how much this will address hesitancy.  I am curious to see if this works. 

I honestly think that after June 2nd I am going to see a lot of illness among people I know who have refused vaccination. With no masking or distancing required, it will be up to the businesses/churches/schools to decide what will be done. I expect my church will drop the masking and distancing. 

What do you all think?

• Like 8

I think he is so desperate to save lives he will do anything to get people vaccinated. I also think this move signals he will not be running for re-election. I hope it works the way he wants it too, because I thinI he has realized we’ve vaccinated all the people who wanted to be vaccinated and that removing the health orders is what his citizens want. He can’t protect people from themselves.

eta: he is my governor

Edited by saraha
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Do you know where the money is coming from?  I'm in OH too and was wondering about that.  

ETA - never mind, I just saw the answer in the link.  I think the money could have been used in better ways or reduce the amount of the incentive at least.  That's an enormous amount of money for few people. 

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Do you know where the money is coming from?  I'm in OH too and was wondering about that.  

ETA - never mind, I just saw the answer in the link.  I think the money could have been used in better ways or reduce the amount of the incentive at least.  That's an enormous amount of money for few people. 

I thought it was CARES act stuff.  ETA; NM. Found reference.

Edited by cintinative

I think that the switch to a carrot approach is good.  I also think that what some other states/communities have done to get pop-up vaccination clinics in under-served neighborhoods might be a better targeted approach.  I am already vaccinated but I am glad that our small city is having a vaccination event in a local park which includes the option for those who are disabled to have the shots brought right to their car so that they don't have to get out. 

• Like 8

One local town did a pop up J&J vaccine clinic during what is normally a HUGE festival.  I hope they were able to get lots of people that just didn't have the time to schedule appointments.

We have reached the point in our community where most everyone that WANTED one (meaning willing to make a concerted effort or get help to get one) has had their shot(s) .  Then there is the NO group.   I do think we have a middle of the road group that is OK with it but not making a big effort to get it.

• Like 3

It’s certainly a better carrot than the free beer being offered near me!  LOL  They call it “Shot and a Chaser.”

They also have a mobile vaccine option now.  Call and make an appointment and they will come to your house to vaccinate you!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

2 minutes ago, StillJessica said:

They also have a mobile vaccine option now.  Call and make an appointment and they will come to your house to vaccinate you!  

My friend is a doc that runs clinics in a rural area....and yes, they will come to your house.  She wants to get everyone possible vaccinated.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, StillJessica said:

It’s certainly a better carrot than the free beer being offered near me!  LOL  They call it “Shot and a Chaser.”

Okay, that's cute. 😄

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, StillJessica said:

So... It's a matter of choosing your target market, isn't it? I'd support the jackpots, and the beer program, and anything else states or localities can come up with, but they might each need to identify the demographic groups which need incentives most, and target the incentives to those particular groups.

What would appeal to evangelicals? People who are simply hesitant about a new vaccine? Etc.

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Katy said:

I'm sure it will be effective for the wishy washy, but it seems unfair to those who were smart enough to already get vaccinated.  It seems they should include everyone in the state vaccine database.

My understanding is that everyone in Ohio who has been vaccinated is a candidate to win, not just those who start the vaccine in response to the incentive.

I'm speculating, but don't know for certain, that people who play the lottery regularly may be more likely to also be hesitant to get the vaccine, so it's targeting that population. I've already gotten my shot, along with everyone in my household (except for DD15, who gets hers tomorrow), and we plan to win the jackpot 😉. (We normally don't play the lottery).

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Storygirl said:

My understanding is that everyone in Ohio who has been vaccinated is a candidate to win, not just those who start the vaccine in response to the incentive.

I'm speculating, but don't know for certain, that people who play the lottery regularly may be more likely to also be hesitant to get the vaccine, so it's targeting that population. I've already gotten my shot, along with everyone in my household (except for DD15, who gets hers tomorrow), and we plan to win the jackpot 😉. (We normally don't play the lottery).

Oh, that's not what was said this morning on GMA. I hope you're right about everyone being a candidate.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Katy said:

I'm sure it will be effective for the wishy washy, but it seems unfair to those who were smart enough to already get vaccinated.  It seems they should include everyone in the state vaccine database.

They are including everyone.  There is no penalty for already being vaccinated.  Everyone who is vaccinated will be entered into the drawing.  There is going to be a way to check or register sometime next week, I think I saw.

My ds who is 17 is excited about the prospect of winning the scholarship money.  He has free tuition at a private college near us but he is my kid who would love to go and have an adventure and the possibility of free tuition, books, and room/board made him all excited last night.  I didn't point out the remote chance that he wins!  He can have fun dreaming until it's all over - LOL!

(sorry - typing the same time as Storygirl)

Edited by JanOH
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

So... It's a matter of choosing your target market, isn't it? I'd support the jackpots, and the beer program, and anything else states or localities can come up with, but they might each need to identify the demographic groups which need incentives most, and target the incentives to those particular groups.

What would appeal to evangelicals? People who are simply hesitant about a new vaccine? Etc.

Free MAGA hats?

11 minutes ago, Katy said:

Honestly, as somoeone fully vaccinated, the best prize I can imagine is if everyone else gets vaccinated. I want that more than money. So whatever it takes. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Michigan courts ruled that while the state cannot require the vaccine as a condition of employment because that would be government over-reach, private employers can require it. This is already beginning to happen here and usually a $100-$200 bonus is attached to it as a carrot before they have to let people go. One woman in Flint was on the news because she refuses to get it and her employer requires it. So she is willing to lose her job over it I guess.

Counting Michiganders who got their vaccines in other states - snowbirds - I think we are at roughly 54% with at least one shot. Two of our three in college are required to get it in order to attend classes unless they can get a medical waiver signed by their physicians. But, they want the vaccine - all three of them - and are getting it tomorrow. I think the wave of college students getting it will boost us towards 70%. I don't know if Michigan can hit 80 without a bunch of the no folks becoming yes folks.

I happily directed a young man at the Shell station to where he could get it. He apparently doesn't watch the news and had not seen online that it is free. He does not get health insurance with his job and assumed he couldn't afford it. When I told him that it was free at the pharmacy two blocks away and they do walk ins until 7 pm, he said he wished it wasn't a pandemic and he could shake my hand. Poor guy. No idea. I know it is out there somewhere in social media, but if the young folks are not connected to the right groups on social media, they probably aren't seeing the message. I wish it was on billboards in our area. He just didn't know, and that is really sad because he works an essential job and wanted it. I am glad we had that brief conversation outside my car while pumping gas.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

My understanding is that any adult who has received the vaccine is eligible for the $1M drawing.  So anyone who has gotten it up until the time they do the drawing.  

For the 12-17, only the 16 and ups have had access to vaccines prior to today. Today is the first day that 12-15 year olds could be vaccinated here. Supposedly the kids are supposed to enter their information to be eligible for the drawing, unlike the adult one which is somehow tied to the voter registration database (I guess they confirm vaccination status after the drawing for the adults).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Soror said:

I wish our governor would do something to help with hesitancy. I was thinking I read a study that showed a financial incentive decreased hesitancy by a good amount.

I read the same thing. I don't remember the percentage who said they would change their mind but they used a $100 incentive as the example. I would think if they rolled out the mobile units to underserved areas in my state (NJ) and offered $100 cash it would be successful.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

It does seem to target lottery players. I can't imagine anyone I know changing their mind for a chance to win in essence a lottery. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, happi duck said:

If I understand correctly, Oregon is using opening up as the carrot.  Things will open up once 70% have at least one dose. 

Michigan is trying that ....but it isn't working.  Some counties are at 70% while others are at 33%.....but our opening up will be state level ....so discouraging for those areas that met the goals.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, happi duck said:

If I understand correctly, Oregon is using opening up as the carrot.  Things will open up once 70% have at least one dose. 

4 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Michigan is trying that ....but it isn't working.  Some counties are at 70% while others are at 33%.....but our opening up will be state level ....so discouraging for those areas that met the goals.

Same in NC.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, happi duck said:

This is how our province is working, too. It is a tiered opening. 3 weeks after 70% of 40+ are first- dose vaccinated x,y, and z will open (we are in this 3 week countdown period now). Then 3 weeks after 30+ are at 70%, then 3 weeks after 18+ are at 70%. 
Because this is Canada, we are on the crazy 4 months for 2nd dose plan. I really hope that doesn't backfire! 

0EDBD41A-E434-457B-A599-3AB1BCD8A9E0.jpeg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Which just isn't fair for those who are vaccinated. It's not fair in school to punish the whole class for one kids' misbehavior and its not fair in the population.

• Like 10

52 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Yes it is discouraging. I am trying to be positive about it. Thankfully, being spring and summer, I can enjoy the Michigan great outdoors, farmer's markets, and such. We have never done a wine tour of cherry country/Traverse Bay, but are considering it as another outside option.

We do have reservations for our first restaurant experience since the shut down. That is for our anniversary on the 11th, but it is for outside patio dining on the river. I am trying to figure out a shawl or shrug to got with my dress in case the evening is cool. I would love to sit inside in the candlelight and might have risked it since we are both vaccinated and the wait staff has been advertised as vaccinated, but with such low vaccination rates in that county, we still need to be cautious and demonstrate cautious behavior because we just do not need more mutations of this.

And because of low vaccination rates, the foundation that under writes the Fine Arts program I was working for, is not allowing a fine arts season to go forward, and I am out of a job. I do not know if the program will ever be brought back. I try not to be discouraged, and focus on finding our retirement home near our kids, but I am weary and a little jaded.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Sad 7

1 minute ago, Faith-manor said:

And because of low vaccination rates, the foundation that under rights the Fine Arts program I was working for, is not allowing a fine arts season to go forward, and I am out of a job. I do not know if the program will ever be brought back. I try not to be discouraged, and focus on finding our retirement home near our kids, but I am weary and a little jaded.

Sorry to hear that.

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

I saw that on the news this morning.  That is a huge carrot.  I wonder if it works better than just offering everyone $100.   It is awesome for the people that win.

But there are so few winners and so many people who could use that money.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kassia said:

But there are so few winners and so many people who could use that money.  

The carrot is very attractive and it is there to persuade all the people who could use that money to get into the lottery or the scholarship program thereby increasing the vaccination rates.

In my area, the famous sports stadium that is offering the county's vaccine program is giving away $10 Starbucks or Chipotle giftcards, a tour of the locker room of some celebrity and a team TShirt. There are enough crowds there even when they offer small carrots 🙂

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

The carrot is very attractive and it is there to persuade all the people who could use that money to get into the lottery or the scholarship program thereby increasing the vaccination rates.

In my area, the famous sports stadium that is offering the county's vaccine program is giving away $10 Starbucks or Chipotle giftcards, a tour of the locker room of some celebrity and a team TShirt. There are enough crowds there even when they offer small carrots 🙂

See, we have NOTHING like that around here. No money, no free beer, not even a donut or cookie, lol. And...30 something percent fully vaccinated. 

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

See, we have NOTHING like that around here. No money, no free beer, not even a donut or cookie, lol. And...30 something percent fully vaccinated. 

Ugh, I get discouraged by my own state, and then I read about yours, and well, my brain twitches. I don't know what to say. I think the supreme leader is a bit whackaloon which makes everything worse.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Ugh, I get discouraged by my own state, and then I read about yours, and well, my brain twitches. I don't know what to say. I think the supreme leader is a bit whackaloon which makes everything worse.

LOL, at least we are helping others feel better? Florida is used to that - the class clown of the USA  🙂 

That said, our Governor is not just whacky, he's evil, as far as I'm concerned. I'm waiting for him to make it illegal to give away anything for a Covid vaccine. Seems his speed. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

LOL, at least we are helping others feel better? Florida is used to that - the class clown of the USA  🙂 

That said, our Governor is not just whacky, he's evil, as far as I'm concerned. I'm waiting for him to make it illegal to give away anything for a Covid vaccine. Seems his speed. 

I agree. I was trying to be nice, but I think he actually a very dangerous, rabies carrying weasel!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I hope Ohio has a high rate of vaccinated by the time they lift the restrictions. We're visiting the Dayton area in mid-late June to get more familiar with the area. We're fully vaccinated, but I''m still more comfortable with others masking if they're not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I do think we have a middle of the road group that is OK with it but not making a big effort to get it.

I was assuming this was the target.

16 minutes ago, QueenCat said:

I''m still more comfortable with others masking if they're not.

I haven't seen any projections yet, but I doubt it will make any difference that the governor is supposedly lifting the mask orders. The major businesses are national chains that are setting their own rules. Churches that wanted to stop masking already have and those that want to continue will. 

I was just in Indiana for several days, where supposedly the masking orders have been lifted, and it makes no difference. 

4 hours ago, saraha said:

I also think this move signals he will not be running for re-election.

I haven't heard this. I would think just the opposite, that he gets the credit for saying he lifted it when nothing actually changes.

I do think he recognized the coercion strategies being used in other places were not appropriate. I was reading a news article last night that quoted someone with the idea that they wanted split standards (what you do if vax vs. unvax) so unvax would realize "how good their lives could be". That is just ridiculous in America. We have vaxes and treatments and people need to move on. Choose to do it or don't. The CDC is being idiotic with the cruise industry too, saying you can be outside without a max if you're vax. On a cruise ship with tons of air. Completely idiotic and part of this control mentality.

• Like 2

I am all in favor of states and localities trying different strategies. Will be very interested to see how this one works out.

3 hours ago, Innisfree said:

What would appeal to evangelicals?

Our state health commissioner is a conservative evangelical Christian and she thinks that framing vaccination in religious terms is the way to go:

"We need to convince them that you getting the vaccine is helping other people," said Piercey, a 2019 appointee of Gov. Bill Lee. "Being the hands and feet of Jesus is the way to go. They might not do it for themselves, but they should do it to help other people."

I have no particular opinion on her strategy other than that it does not appear to be working terribly well so far(see here and here). 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, happi duck said:

Yes, the costs and benefits need to be applied to the individual otherwise you have free rider problems and the people who are suffering may not be the same people who need an incentive to vaccinate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JennyD said:

I am all in favor of states and localities trying different strategies. Will be very interested to see how this one works out.

Our state health commissioner is a conservative evangelical Christian and she thinks that framing vaccination in religious terms is the way to go:

I have no particular opinion on her strategy other than that it does not appear to be working terribly well so far(see here and here). 

It sounds like the CDC needs to be talking with leaders of faith communities, local sports teams, the volunteer firefighter/herbalist guy. It's a huge undertaking, but they need to first demonstrate to local leaders that, for example, it's impossible to inject a microchip with a vaccine needle, and that fetal body parts aren't in the vaccine. Explain how the testing process is compressed but not reduced. Talk about how the Lord helps those who help themselves, and the vaccine is how they can do that. Tailor the message to the groups which need to hear it. Maybe Loretta Lynn [oops, sorry, Dolly Parton] ought to take part in a session or two, and I'm serious about that. Anyone who is respected in these regions, and who understands the need for vaccination, needs to be pulled into the effort.

If local leaders can be treated with respect and educated about the vaccine, maybe they will change their own attitudes and those of their neighbors. This is not rocket science. I know why it hasn't happened sooner, but it doesn't seem so hard to figure out how the resistance could be addressed. I really don't understand why we don't have a massive public education effort like this now.

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 9

My local city is giving away a new car (one of 5 possible models). You must provide proof of full vaccination if you win, and the dates are such that you could get fully vaccinated between the time it was announced and the drawing date. 

I figure whatever works. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Dmmetler said:

My local city is giving away a new car (one of 5 possible models). You must provide proof of full vaccination if you win, and the dates are such that you could get fully vaccinated between the time it was announced and the drawing date. 

I figure whatever works. 

That's awesome.  @Dmmetler, do you know how the new recommendations will affect the rec center where you teach?  @ktgrok, do you guys have Krispy Kreme?  I think nationwide they're giving free donuts to anyone who is vaccinated?

5 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I think it is working. It is just going to go more slowly now that the people who wanted it most have already been vaccinated, The super anti-vaxxers will probably never get it, but the vaccine-hesitant are gradually coming around. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JanOH said:

My ds who is 17 is excited about the prospect of winning the scholarship money.  He has free tuition at a private college near us but he is my kid who would love to go and have an adventure and the possibility of free tuition, books, and room/board made him all excited last night.  I didn't point out the remote chance that he wins!  He can have fun dreaming until it's all over - LOL!

You'll have to let us know if he wins!! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

I think it is working. It is just going to go more slowly now that the people who wanted it most have already been vaccinated, The super anti-vaxxers will probably never get it, but the vaccine-hesitant are gradually coming around. 

Our county is actually ahead of the overall state rate, but not by much. It is a fairly red county, but has 46.1% of 16-and-overs fully vaccinated and 73.6% of those over 65 fully vaccinated. The 16-17 year olds have barely even had time to be fully vaxxed so I think they will continue to bring the numbers up! 

22 minutes ago, Terabith said:

That's awesome.  @Dmmetler, do you know how the new recommendations will affect the rec center where you teach?  @ktgrok, do you guys have Krispy Kreme?  I think nationwide they're giving free donuts to anyone who is vaccinated?

Not yet. The local school district is leaving theirs in place for the remainder of the school year, stating that parents place decisions for this school year based on the plan that has been in place thus far, so they will leave it in place until Fall 2021.

I am hoping that lets us leave it in place through the summer as well, and that 2-11 approval comes sooner than September, so parents can have the option of getting their kids vaccinated before we start fall. I know the preschool/after school director is pushing for this for the summer camps since none of the kids will be vaccinated except for maybe a few old for grade 5th graders (we don't have a teen camp this summer due to the need to have smaller groups and spread the kids out more). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I think that the switch to a carrot approach is good.  I also think that what some other states/communities have done to get pop-up vaccination clinics in under-served neighborhoods might be a better targeted approach.  I am already vaccinated but I am glad that our small city is having a vaccination event in a local park which includes the option for those who are disabled to have the shots brought right to their car so that they don't have to get out. 

I think we have pop-op clinics too in downtown areas that are on bus routes. I think maybe there were some free rides offered early on. There are also some clinics that were specifically for minorities only.

8 hours ago, Storygirl said:

I am not sure if the stats still hold, but I think I remember learning that most people who play the lottery are in lower income brackets. If the governor is trying to get that demographic to get off the fence, I think this could really help.

8 hours ago, frogger said:

It does seem to target lottery players. I can't imagine anyone I know changing their mind for a chance to win in essence a lottery. 

I took my 13 y.o. for his vaccine today, and the lady in front of us in line was undecided about a shot until the lottery was announced. She had to find a shot location on her bus route but was very excited about getting the vaccine. She had some trouble signing up, but she called the CVS that was on her route and they signed her up on the phone. I suspect it seemed just a little too hard, and this moved her over that motivation hump. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Longtime Lurker said:

73.6% of those over 65 fully vaccinated.

How does this compare to a national average? I haven't seen stats, but I just naively assumed that group would be higher.

Just to answer my own question, AARP is saying 83% of age 65+ are vaccinated nationally, which means this is below average. 

Edited by PeterPan

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

There are some...nearest one to me is about 30 minutes away. We have way more Dunkin Donuts places. 

• Like 1