Menu

I'm going to SCREAM!!!! (I hate mortgage companies!)

ktgrok

When DH was on partial furlough we did a forbearance with the mortgage company. Then  when that was ending I called, discussed options, and they sent out paperwork for an FHA partial claim, which is a no interest loan that covers the payments from the forbearance period and is paid off at the end of the loan. Fine. When it came, it had directions to wait for a mobile notary from Wells Fargo to contact us to do the paperwork - that the ones I had were for my use, and the notary had the other copy which they would have us sign and they would send back. But no one contacted us. I called back, was concerned as the date was approaching to send it back. I was told not to worry, we had 30 days after that date - which would be May 10th - to send it,  and to just wait for the mobile notary to contact us  - it would take a few weeks. No on contacted us. I finally took the paperwork with DH and got it notarized ourselves, called on the 7th and said, I had it notarized myself, I'm sending it in, what specific address department should I send it, and although the paprwork says "sent by" which indicates postmark date, do I need to overnight it. I was told no worries - there is no hard and fast date - they just don't want it dragging out forever. He'd put a note in the file that it was being sent so it would be known, no worries. So I sent it priority, it was delivered on May 10th. I got something in the mail today saying that I'm in default as they didn't get the paperwork. I call - I was put in default on the 6th - the day before I talked to someone who didn't mention it and told me all was fine! And 4 days before I was told I had to have it sent by the first time I called! Now, they can't do anything, they transfer me to "re-entry" who then approve me (no kidding!) to go back to home preservation, but it will take up to 48 hours for them to "process" me and wait for them to call!!!!!!!!

I also spoke with customer service as we want to buy a house soon, and I do NOT want this showing up on my credit report as a default! I did get assurance it still shows forebearance, etc. But who knows. 

I'm SO angry. And a few decades ago I had a similar issue, whre we had a loan modification program after my husband at the time went into sudden heart failure and was out of work and being evaluated for a heart transplant. They had no problem adding the missed payments to the end of the loan. I think it was 3 - they couldn't do less than that, so even though we could make it up after 2 we had to skip 3). And then a month later I had a note on my door from the NEW OWNER! The bank had foreclosed on my house and sold it at auction, all while I was making my monthly payments! When I called, freaking out, it was found that the loan modification department didn't tell the legal department that we'd done the modification, so the legal department foreclosed. 

So yeah, I already didn't trust mortgage companies and this is bringing back a LOT of bad memories. I imagine I'll be calling daily until this is resolved. 

• Sad 24

Call them back and tell them you're calling your attorney and the state attorney general if this isn't resolved by the end of the day.  I don't know how it is in Florida, but I know in Nevada a judge got so fed up with this terrible behavior by Wells Fargo that the judge warned if this kind of fraudulent activity came across their desk again a wells fargo executive would be going to prison. After that they created a priority to handle Nevada stuff the way they did people who threatened their attorney or the state attorney general.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Carolina Wren said:

I'm sorry. 😕

We did our mortgage through our local credit union because they don't resell them to other people.

Yep. Same here. Esp after the awful time my sister had with Wells Fargo. I did not want to have a chance of having to deal with them.

59 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

What is crazy is up until now I'd have said they were great. But I guess being nice is easy when you are just saying what people want to hear! 

I would have said they were great (to me) up until they put my mother in law’s address on my account... twice. For no explicable reason, no matter how many people i spoke to.
Slimey scum.

I hope you get a resolution quickly.

• Confused 1

I can't even tell you the hours and hours I have in with my mother-in-law's mortgage company. We've been at this for over a year. First the forebearance, and then they were to send the paperwork for a loan modification, which they sent with deceased fil's name on it, waiting months for them to re-send, then being told to get it notarized as is but bring the death certificate (which the notary would NOT notarize!!) and now waiting weeks for them to re-send paperwork without fil's name, again. Daily phone calls from their collection department even though they can see we are in the process of modifying the loan, scary letters which freak out my mil, etc. It's a nightmare. I can completely relate to your hate of mortgage companies. 

• Sad 4

And because fighting a sinus infection and dealing with mortgage companies wasn't enough, just found a dead rat in the pool vacuum. 

I do not care for today. 

But my son, he's good. He got the rat out for me. It was not pleasant. There is rat fur in my pool. I'm done. 

• Sad 13

7 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

And because fighting a sinus infection and dealing with mortgage companies wasn't enough, just found a dead rat in the pool vacuum. 

I do not care for today. 

But my son, he's good. He got the rat out for me. It was not pleasant. There is rat fur in my pool. I'm done. 

I’m sorry! That really sucks!

If the following link does not work, look up the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). They regulate Wells Fargo (and I think Wells Fargo may still be under some agreement with them because of prior issues). Banks due not want to be on the OCC's bad side! If Wells Fargo doesn't "own" your mortgage anymore, you could look up the regulator for the owner of the mortgage. As a previous poster mentioned, we have also used a Credit Union for many years for mortgages--they generally own and service the mortgage so things generally seem to go smoother.

I hope this is helpful for you and others. I wish you the best!!

https://www.helpwithmybank.gov/file-a-complaint/index-file-a-complaint.html

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 5:42 PM, QumaCote said:

If the following link does not work, look up the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). They regulate Wells Fargo (and I think Wells Fargo may still be under some agreement with them because of prior issues). Banks due not want to be on the OCC's bad side! If Wells Fargo doesn't "own" your mortgage anymore, you could look up the regulator for the owner of the mortgage. As a previous poster mentioned, we have also used a Credit Union for many years for mortgages--they generally own and service the mortgage so things generally seem to go smoother.

I hope this is helpful for you and others. I wish you the best!!

https://www.helpwithmybank.gov/file-a-complaint/index-file-a-complaint.html

Thank you, I may have to do this. As of today it s still a cluster. I spoke to someone on the 18th and told them, again, that I just want to do the FHA partial claim. Was told, "oh....okay...we were going to do a full modification review, but we can just move forward with the partial claim option if that is what you want." Yes, that's what I want, what I wanted before, what I said I wanted the last time I called. He said he'd put that in for processing or whatever. 

Today I called to check on status. wAs told that person on the 18th submitted for a full modification review, at MY REQUEST. I escalated to a supervisor, as that is NOT what happened. Supervisor says he will put in for the partial claim, and I should be able to get an update on if that option is approved by Wednesday. Will still have to redo the paperwork. 

If that doesn't happen by Wednesday, I'll file a complaint. 

• Sad 4

Katie, don't scare me! We are putting an offer in today on a place near our kids in Huntsville. I am trying to gear myself up for the next 30-45 of paperwork madness and potential break down in customer service because it just seems like this stuff is always a matter of riding the mortgage company and title insurance company like rented mules!

Ugh

On 5/12/2021 at 4:38 PM, dsmith said:

I can't even tell you the hours and hours I have in with my mother-in-law's mortgage company. We've been at this for over a year. First the forebearance, and then they were to send the paperwork for a loan modification, which they sent with deceased fil's name on it, waiting months for them to re-send, then being told to get it notarized as is but bring the death certificate (which the notary would NOT notarize!!) and now waiting weeks for them to re-send paperwork without fil's name, again. Daily phone calls from their collection department even though they can see we are in the process of modifying the loan, scary letters which freak out my mil, etc. It's a nightmare. I can completely relate to your hate of mortgage companies. 

I just wanted to follow up on our situation. After a few more calls, we found out that they closed the loan modification because of NOT RECEIVING THE PAPERWORK in time. 🤬The paperwork that hasn't been sent yet. Dh decided to try emailing higher ups in the company. He emailed one of the the VPs and actually got a response within 30 minutes. We now are working directly with someone who answers to the VP to resolve the situation. We've been told to contact the VP immediately if we have any more issues. He decided to do this after seeing a video or article about someone doing this and having their problem resolved, and figured what the heck. We're hopeful we can put this mess behind us soon!!

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Katie, don't scare me! We are putting an offer in today on a place near our kids in Huntsville. I am trying to gear myself up for the next 30-45 of paperwork madness and potential break down in customer service because it just seems like this stuff is always a matter of riding the mortgage company and title insurance company like rented mules!

Ugh

We just had a totally and completely smooth and swift experience with a mortgage company for a refi that all got done in less than two weeks, so it's not universal. Hopefully your offer will go well.

I feel like the reason we had a good experience and Katie is having a poor one is because we have perfect credit and were dealing with a home with a ton of equity while she's dealing with a rocky situation with an FHA forbearance. Which is not a slam on you, Katie, at all. We literally WON the money for our home and then got LUCKY. IIRC, Katie's dh got ripped off by predatory student loan practices that are literally now illegal and was furloughed because of the pandemic, which was obviously luck as well. But it's yet another case where companies feel that victimizing people who have less is easier and more profitable than doing the same to people who have more. Which creates this sort of cycle. I hate it. I mean, there but for the grace of God or luck go I.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Farrar said:

We just had a totally and completely smooth and swift experience with a mortgage company for a refi that all got done in less than two weeks, so it's not universal. Hopefully your offer will go well.

I feel like the reason we had a good experience and Katie is having a poor one is because we have perfect credit and were dealing with a home with a ton of equity while she's dealing with a rocky situation with an FHA forbearance. Which is not a slam on you, Katie, at all. We literally WON the money for our home and then got LUCKY. IIRC, Katie's dh got ripped off by predatory student loan practices that are literally now illegal and was furloughed because of the pandemic, which was obviously luck as well. But it's yet another case where companies feel that victimizing people who have less is easier and more profitable than doing the same to people who have more. Which creates this sort of cycle. I hate it. I mean, there but for the grace of God or luck go I.

We are like you perfect credit and lots of equity.  We had the most horrible experience with our refi.  We used our current lender to do it and it took forever!  We started in October and just closed last week.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

We are like you perfect credit and lots of equity.  We had the most horrible experience with our refi.  We used our current lender to do it and it took forever!  We started in October and just closed last week.  

Well, there's also luck involved in that. Sigh. 😞 Sorry. I'm glad it's finally closed.

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

We had this with setting up our HELOC with our credit union.  Unfortunately we ran up against a ‘bad apple’ guy who lied to us about every single aspect of the process.  It was remarkable.

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, Farrar said:

Well, there's also luck involved in that. Sigh. 😞 Sorry. I'm glad it's finally closed.

Yeah not sure how common this experience is.  Doesn't help that it was with a company that a few years back got in  hot water because they opened accounts for people without their consent.  I really think it was because the people that were handling our refi were just not doing their jobs correctly.  They sent us other people's personal info several times and just on and on of their lack of quality customer service.  I thought it would be a million times easier going through the company that already held your loan.  Plus we have been with them for 15 years.  Not the case.   They handled our refi so so poorly.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

We had this with setting up our HELOC with our credit union.  Unfortunately we ran up against a ‘bad apple’ guy who lied to us about every single aspect of the process.  It was remarkable.

Yeah, what we dealt with was remarkable too.  I kept hearing about people like Farrar who had this done within 2 weeks.  It is such a long story on this process that we went through with them all all that we had to do to actually talk to someone who would give us the real information and process our refi.  Just the worst experience.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Yeah, what we dealt with was remarkable too.  I kept hearing about people like Farrar who had this done within 2 weeks.  It is such a long story on this process that we went through with them all all that we had to do to actually talk to someone who would give us the real information and process our refi.  Just the worst experience.

See, and the credit union was all the things—local, personal, long history with us, favorable history with us.

But that guy!

He told us that we would be done in two weeks without docs.  He told us that we would not need to provide income tax returns.  He told us that they would be in touch when they were ready for us to sign, and that before that we didn’t need to do anything.  

NONE of this was true, and adding insult to injury, at the last minute they required that we give up the old LOC on our rental that we had had for decades, which reduced our credit score a bit, albeit it is so high that it didn’t really matter, but in fact that was from before they put a time limit on HELOCs so we had credit for life with that thing, and had to give it up at the last minute, none of which was disclosed before the signing date.  Illegal, as well as dishonest, actually.  

The guy was a piece of work.  I don’t know whether he was incompetent or dishonest, but without a doubt he was in the wrong job.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, dsmith said:

I just wanted to follow up on our situation. After a few more calls, we found out that they closed the loan modification because of NOT RECEIVING THE PAPERWORK in time. 🤬The paperwork that hasn't been sent yet. Dh decided to try emailing higher ups in the company. He emailed one of the the VPs and actually got a response within 30 minutes. We now are working directly with someone who answers to the VP to resolve the situation. We've been told to contact the VP immediately if we have any more issues. He decided to do this after seeing a video or article about someone doing this and having their problem resolved, and figured what the heck. We're hopeful we can put this mess behind us soon!!

Ooh, I'll keep that in mind. When we bought this house, there was an issue with the title company being super slow, to the point it was going to keep us from closing. DH used his cybersecurity skills to track down the people listed on the incorporation paperwork or something, I forget what, but he managed to then find the personal email of the CEO of the company...not the work email, but the personal email. He contacted the guy via that, and magically our problem was solved in less than a day 🙂

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Well, we have well over 100K in equity in this house, and my credit is great, although DH's is moderate, due to the loan debt. Mostly, we just keep getting people who obviously have no idea what they are doing. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Ooh, I'll keep that in mind. When we bought this house, there was an issue with the title company being super slow, to the point it was going to keep us from closing. DH used his cybersecurity skills to track down the people listed on the incorporation paperwork or something, I forget what, but he managed to then find the personal email of the CEO of the company...not the work email, but the personal email. He contacted the guy via that, and magically our problem was solved in less than a day 🙂

Well, we have well over 100K in equity in this house, and my credit is great, although DH's is moderate, due to the loan debt. Mostly, we just keep getting people who obviously have no idea what they are doing. 

Ugh.  Maybe that is the problem?  They having so much work that they are hiring people who don't know how to do the job correctly.  It is so annoying.  I hope that you end up getting it to work out. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 3:18 PM, ktgrok said:

What is crazy is up until now I'd have said they were great. But I guess being nice is easy when you are just saying what people want to hear! 

We’ve not had any issues with WF. We have had a mortgage, a cash out refi, and most recently, we “recast” with a lump sum payment. We fully expected a fee with the recast, but they didn’t charge us a dime! When we did the original mortgage and then the refi—both times we specifically requested that our mortgage not be sold. We wanted it to stay w WF because most of our primary checking and saving accounts are with them. We’ve been lucky so far w them. I guess as long as you don’t get in to anything that involves missing payments, they are great! I’m sorry this has been so muddy and complicated! It’s hard for me to wrap my brain around why the mortgage process has to be so complicated.

Edited by popmom

5 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Ugh.  Maybe that is the problem?  They having so much work that they are hiring people who don't know how to do the job correctly.  It is so annoying.  I hope that you end up getting it to work out. 

This could very well be the problem.

Katie, do you guys have one particular loan officer that you’re working with? Someone local? Or are you dealing with people long distance?

13 hours ago, popmom said:

We’ve not had any issues with WF. We have had a mortgage, a cash out refi, and most recently, we “recast” with a lump sum payment. We fully expected a fee with the recast, but they didn’t charge us a dime! When we did the original mortgage and then the refi—both times we specifically requested that our mortgage not be sold. We wanted it to stay w WF because most of our primary checking and saving accounts are with them. We’ve been lucky so far w them. I guess as long as you don’t get in to anything that involves missing payments, they are great! I’m sorry this has been so muddy and complicated! It’s hard for me to wrap my brain around why the mortgage process has to be so complicated.

What's silly is this SHOULD be very simple. It's a "low documentation" process. We handled everything proactively, contacted them ahead of schedule to handle things, etc. They just....messed up. 

13 hours ago, popmom said:

This could very well be the problem.

Katie, do you guys have one particular loan officer that you’re working with? Someone local? Or are you dealing with people long distance?

No, all long distance. 

• Sad 1

I’d definitely speak to the attorney general’s office and make sure the full story is on file sooner rather than later. These companies are drowning in paused mortgage paperwork due to the pandemic. They’re going to be more chaotic than ever and you want to do what it takes to move to the top of the pile so they can’t brush you off. 

On 5/23/2021 at 12:20 AM, popmom said:

No, you’ve had good luck.  We’ve never had missing payments and they’ve made huge mistakes with our mortgage with 3 separate houses. Usually it’s something to do with escrow accounts.  They refund too much, then want a year’s worth of tax payments in less than a month with no notice, and tried to report us to the credit bureaus that we were late!  Luckily I had plenty of documentation and enough cash in savings to write a check. Then they forget to pay the property tax altogether or put the wrong information on our payment so the city had to do a trace and figure out they applied our payments to the wrong house because WF provided the wrong information (there was proof).  

And then there was a disaster with multiple demands we buy flood insurance we don’t need because we are waterfront. There’s a giant hill you have to go down to reach the water, but if you can see it, you must be in a flood zone, right?  We proved it with documents from our city zoning commissioner and finally threatened an attorney before that was handled.

(deleted private info)

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, ktgrok said:

What's silly is this SHOULD be very simple. It's a "low documentation" process. We handled everything proactively, contacted them ahead of schedule to handle things, etc. They just....messed up. 

No, all long distance. 

Oh I missed it somehow that you are doing this with Wells Fargo.  That is who we had the nightmare refi with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katy said:

No, you’ve had good luck.  We’ve never had missing payments and they’ve made huge mistakes with our mortgage with 3 separate houses. Usually it’s something to do with escrow accounts.  They refund too much, then want a year’s worth of tax payments in less than a month with no notice, and tried to report us to the credit bureaus that we were late!  Luckily I had plenty of documentation and enough cash in savings to write a check. Then they forget to pay the property tax altogether or put the wrong information on our payment so the city had to do a trace and figure out they applied our payments to the wrong house because WF provided the wrong information (there was proof).  

And then there was a disaster with multiple demands we buy flood insurance we don’t need because we are waterfront. There’s a giant hill you have to go down to reach the water, but if you can see it, you must be in a flood zone, right?  We proved it with documents from our city zoning commissioner and finally threatened an attorney before that was handled.

(deleted private info)

Wow. This makes me wonder if WF is broken up into regions, and certain regions have more problems than others. 

2 hours ago, popmom said:

Wow. This makes me wonder if WF is broken up into regions, and certain regions have more problems than others. 

Ime no, the office handled homes nation wide. It may be broken up by type of mortgage though.