Menu

Scientific Connections Through Inquiry, level 0

JaiMama

We’re using it with a 1st grader, a K, and two J.K. kids right now and they are enjoying it. The first grader is definitely getting the concept ms pretty easily and likes to explore to the younger ones. I used the Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding with my older ones at that age and liked it, but couldn’t keep everything straight. This format is much more user friendly—meaning I actually do it. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gradchica said:

We’re using it with a 1st grader, a K, and two J.K. kids right now and they are enjoying it. The first grader is definitely getting the concept ms pretty easily and likes to explore to the younger ones. I used the Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding with my older ones at that age and liked it, but couldn’t keep everything straight. This format is much more user friendly—meaning I actually do it. 

Oh, is this the BFSU companion text? I've seen reviews on FB. 

2 hours ago, knitgrl said:

No, I don't think so. It has an approach that is similar to BFSU. The BFSU companion can be found here: https://outskirtspress.com/bfsu1abridged

But it's built off of BFSU, I think: 

https://scicurriculum.com/sci/sci-about/

I saw a few reviews on the BFSU FB group and they were largely positive. I'm also currently struggling to actually DO BFSU (we do lots of other science, so it's not a big deal, but we've done less of it than I had hoped.)

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

But it's built off of BFSU, I think: 

https://scicurriculum.com/sci/sci-about/

I saw a few reviews on the BFSU FB group and they were largely positive. I'm also currently struggling to actually DO BFSU (we do lots of other science, so it's not a big deal, but we've done less of it than I had hoped.)

Thank you! I love the concept of BFSU, but science is not one of my strengths. Some of the demonstrations he suggests are so convoluted, and there are much easier ways of showing the same concept sometimes. Perhaps I can try this once my two younger ones get through Vol. 1 with the companion I linked to.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, knitgrl said:

Thank you! I love the concept of BFSU, but science is not one of my strengths. Some of the demonstrations he suggests are so convoluted, and there are much easier ways of showing the same concept sometimes. Perhaps I can try this once my two younger ones get through Vol. 1 with the companion I linked to.

I would say that science is one of my strengths, and it's still hard for me to get stuff done with his stuff! As you say, his demos aren't great -- I've largely been pairing the BFSU concepts with random demos I pull off of Mr. Q's site, but then it's really a hassle to prep, and since I DIY everything, it's just a bit of overload. 

Maybe I should try SCI Level 0 next year. DD8 is going to be 9 and is really in some sense too big, but she adores demos, and DD5 will be just the right kind of age. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 3:56 PM, gradchica said:

I've used the first volume of BFSU a little, and I think I know what you mean about user-unfriendliness. Can you tell a little about what makes SCI easier?

After spending some time with BFSU the table of contents here looks very very familiar

https://scicurriculum.com/sci/sci-level-0/ 

• Like 1

I think the user unfriendly part for me was twofold—following the flowchart of lessons and reading through the lesson for what I should do/present and what was background, and figure out the demo. None of that is particularly hard, but the extra level of decision making (what lesson? Did we do the pre  reqs? What do I need? What do I say?) just pushed it to the back burner. That was not our primary science, so even less motivation to get it done. 

I appreciate that SCI has laid out the lessons in order (so no flow chart angst), with easy list of supplies, what to say/do, links to video that illustrate/explain the concept. As open and go as anything requiring supplies and demonstrations can be. The student companion lab book with worksheets is also helpful and makes it easier to keep everything together. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1