Menu

Book a Week 2021 - BW19: Motherhood by  Katherine L. Dykstra

Robin M

Happy Mother’s Day, my lovelies. This week is dedicated to you and all mom's everywhere including our angel moms. She who rules the roost and goes by many names including ma, mama, mum, mother, mumsy, mamman, mutter, mathair, mor, madra, majka, maji, and the favorite one, mom.

Motherhood

by 

Katherine L. Dykstra

Baby dolls and dinosaurs-

one that cries, one that roars

The pitter patter of little feet-

a bike race in which they want you to compete

Fruity Pebbles, pancakes, no wait! a pop-tart-

those daily moments that steal your heart

One throws tantrums, the other just pouts-

ahh, the joys of motherhood- what life is all about

Another birthday - two paychecks in all-

but, it is so worth it with smiling memories on the wall

From late night tears to early morning grumps-

through all the bruises, scrapes and bumps

The kisses and hugs, the encouraging words-

from nursery rhymes to the bees and the birds

The laughter, the memories, those looks in their eyes-

never trade it for anything - never compromise

The toys left out, the clothes on the floor-

these are the moments we mothers live for

For we are the ones who are there through it all-

to always make it better and pick them up when they fall

From kissing their boo-boos and making sure they're fed-

passing down stories while tucking them into bed

Through the weight gain, cravings, labor and more-

to that one special moment we spend 9 months waiting for

Eighteen years is what they say, but our work is never done-

a lifetime of tears, laughter, sadness and fun

Nothing in the world can even come close-

to the one special bond God made matter the most

A relationship only two certain people can share-

a mother and her child, nothing will ever compare...

Happy Mother's Day

Count of Monte Cristo Readalong

Chapter 40. The Breakfast

Chapter 41. The Presentation

Chapter 42. Monsieur Bertuccio

Link to week 18

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as share your book reviews with other readers around the globe.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Happy momma's day.  I'm reading Nora Roberts Blood Magick which I'm appreciating more the second time.  

We watched The Mask last night and James laughed and really enjoyed it.  Having fun rewatching all the older movies with him and rediscovering old favorites.  I finished my Virgin River binge watch and will have wait patiently for the 3rd season to come out.  

Happy to report my fur baby Melvin has gotten his appetite back, thanks to the Prednisone, and he's getting some of his old pep back.  Although it kinda reminds me of my college days and watching someone who just smoked a toke and has a case of the munchies.  😀 

• Like 6

This week I made a little progress (just a little) on both The Death of Expertise which I read when I'm on the treadmill a couple of times a week and Concrete Rose. Still really busy, not much reading time, so the library chooses now to deliver virtually every book I have on hold (and have had on hold for months). So in the queue I have The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue, Transcendent Kingdom, The House in the Cerulean Sea, The Ten Thousand Doors of January, and then Pachinko will be delivered this next week. I foresee some great reading but also some overdue books in my future.

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

...in the queue I have The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue, Transcendent Kingdom, The House in the Cerulean Sea, The Ten Thousand Doors of January, and then Pachinko will be delivered this next week.

I'll be interested to hear how you do with your pile of books, Ali. I enjoyed the first, third, and fifth books, am unfamiliar with the second, and abandoned the fourth.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I've finished two books recently.

Project Hail Mary: A Novel by Andy Weir was a good read. I liked it more than Artemis but not as much as The Martian.

"Ryland Grace is the sole survivor on a desperate, last-chance mission—and if he fails, humanity and the earth itself will perish.

Except that right now, he doesn’t know that. He can’t even remember his own name, let alone the nature of his assignment or how to complete it.

All he knows is that he’s been asleep for a very, very long time. And he’s just been awakened to find himself millions of miles from home, with nothing but two corpses for company.

His crewmates dead, his memories fuzzily returning, Ryland realizes that an impossible task now confronts him. Hurtling through space on this tiny ship, it’s up to him to puzzle out an impossible scientific mystery—and conquer an extinction-level threat to our species.

And with the clock ticking down and the nearest human being light-years away, he’s got to do it all alone.

Or does he?

An irresistible interstellar adventure as only Andy Weir could deliver, Project Hail Mary is a tale of discovery, speculation, and survival to rival The Martian—while taking us to places it never dreamed of going."

I continued my Anne Cleeland series reread with Murder in Deep Regret ; I enjoyed it once more.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Happy Mother’s Day everyone!  It’s been a busy day for me......after a year of not much going on it’s wonderful to be busy again!

I finished listening to my Kendra Donovan time travel series https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52938648-shadows-in-time about a FBI agent who runs into a passage while fleeing a bad guy and comes out in 19th century England. I have found them to be totally entertaining fluff. I hope the author kept writing these!

I have moved on listening wise to another of Ann Cleeves’ Vera’s. It’s good, a Murder at a writer’s retreat. I need to start growing my book chains if I am going to make them 21 books long. I think I am going to concentrate on my book chains and spelling challenges for awhile and consider any 10’s or Bingo completed a bonus.

I am reading Becky Chamber's The Galaxy and the Ground Within https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50209317-the-galaxy-and-the-ground-within and really enjoying it. So far the action is centered on an intergalactic rest stop where all the ships are stranded due to a freak atmospheric accident stranding everyone on this incredibly boring planet. All different species of alien getting to know each other. The descriptions of the characters are vivid enough that I have really interesting mind pictures of them all and wish there were graphic novels or something to check my imagination against! This is part of a series but all the parts of the series are pretty loosely related.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Robin M said:

Happy to report my fur baby Melvin has gotten his appetite back, thanks to the Prednisone, and he's getting some of his old pep back. 

So happy to read that!  (I live with cat-lovin' people and their fur babies, and unwell cats are worrying ... and expensive.)  I like your moggies names🥰

6 hours ago, Kareni said:

Wishing you all a happy mother's day!

Thank you, and wishing you a lovely mother's day too. (Beautiful potted plants!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Books completed over the weekend.

The Empty World ~ D.E. Stevenson (3)  (273pgs)  A lite dystopian read from one of my liked vintage-era writers.  I was keen to find out what happened to each of the women, and how Stevenson was going to sort out the bad guys. Like other Stevenson’s books I’ve read this one has the bedroom door close.  Some Christian content, which I appreciated, and,  LOTS of smoking, which is always rather disconcerting in vintage reads until I remember the era these writers lived in.

A significant detractor for me was the inclusion of a song using the ‘n’ word which features in a drunken shooting scene amongst the bad ‘guys’.

In true D.E. Stevenson, she gives us another abrupt ending to a story.

Age of War: The Legends of the First Empire Bk3 ~ Michael J. Sullivan, narrated by Tim Gerard Reynolds  (4 )  (16h 47m) I will absolutely need to listen to the next book in the series as the ending generated a must know what happens next.   (Can't say much about the last few chapters, or that ending, without creating major spoilers.)

The writing, character development, and storyline in this book are all much better than those in the second book in this series.

Extra: some "swearing" in Rhune.  Letting go of the past. Teens kissing.  Domestic abuse.  Non-consensual kiss. Violence stemming from war. 

• Like 6

Hi guys.  I have made so little progress on anything for the past couple months.  My puppy is to blame.  I'm lucky if I read one page per day.  But, that's better than I did when my kids came home, so ....

I'm down to slowly reading through Think Like a Monk.  I don't really love it, but it does remind me of some things I've learned before and half forgotten.

One thing that's interesting is how differently we read things like this over a lifetime.  You know, the books / materials that advise us to focus on what's going to be important in the long run.  Like, when we're young in your career / endeavors, we can't really hear "the small stuff doesn't matter."  Maybe we think, "easy for you to say, you aren't living hand to mouth and getting critical work reviews."  Eventually we find our niche and are open to the idea that "everything's gonna be all right."  We feel like we're following our hearts, living in the moment, approaching dharma / perfection.  Then, after some more life happens, we're like, "ahh, those innocent days when it was all about us, when we could mostly control how the evening was gonna go, ha ha.  When we thought finding meaning was actually an end.  Man, my back hurts."  I wonder what the next stage will be like ....

• Like 6

Just finished Kerry Greenwood's series of bakery mysteries from my library, about an accountant turned baker and what happens in and around her artisan bakery and associated quirky apartment and fellow equally quirky residents in Melbourne, Australia. Fun read, and only one of the endings was some what predictable. Also finished "Rogues" - a collection of short stories about enjoyable rascals in SF&F...I only liked some of them. Now working on "Little Comfort, a Hester Thursby mystery set in modern day Boston. I think it was recommended here.

Lots of graduation stuff for my youngest over the next couple of weeks, as well as driving test. Child #3 has her CNA license exam this week, praying for a no-migraine day when she takes it!

DH and I are researching prostate cancer treatment options. After this past year's unpredictability and unemployment, we are inclined to opt for the solution that does *not* require a 2-year treatment plan. Luckily, it's early days. He still has some follow-ups to ascertain extent of cancer before we make a final decision. Oh, topped off with a root canal.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Some bookish posts ~

19 UNBELIEVABLY REALISTIC BOOK CAKES THAT WILL HAVE YOU SIDE-EYEING YOUR BOOKSHELVES

https://bookriot.com/realistic-book-cakes/

From the Word Wenches site:  A "Booktown" Getaway

https://wordwenches.typepad.com/word_wenches/2021/05/a-booktown-getaway.html#comments

You Don’t Need To Feel Guilty About Books You Haven’t Read Yet

https://www.tor.com/2021/05/03/stop-feeling-guilty-about-the-books-you-havent-read-yet/#comments

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

My kids got their honors English summer reading assignment.

Me:  What book is assigned for summer work?

Kid:  I dunno, Ethan Smith??

Me:  Ethan Frome?

Kid:  Yeah I think so ... is it a good book? 

Me:  I dunno, I haven't read it yet.

Kid:  Then how did you know it was Ethan Frome?

Me:  Well I know there isn't a classic named Ethan Smith ....

I ordered the audiobook and a cheap illustrated paperback copy for me to read.  I hope it's good!

(I try to get the audiobooks because one of my kids is a slow reader due to vision issues.  And I like to share the literature they are reading, if I haven't read it before.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 5/9/2021 at 7:25 PM, Kareni said:

I've finished two books recently.

Project Hail Mary: A Novel by Andy Weir was a good read. I liked it more than Artemis but not as much as The Martian.

"Ryland Grace is the sole survivor on a desperate, last-chance mission—and if he fails, humanity and the earth itself will perish.

Don't tell me if you liked it (yet), I'm 50% through. The library only has an ebook version, which I put on my phone. However there is a twist! Two evenings a week dd uses my phone for ballet class, dum-dum-dum! On those nights I'm reading Connie Willis's Doomsday Book which, surprise! is set in future England in the midst of a pandemic. Perhaps I should have read the book jacket more closely. I'm still a bit cautious about these fictional settings brushing up close to real life. However, since the author did not anticipate the invention and proliferation of cell phones it is not hard to see the book as clearly fictional. 

• Like 4

A “classic cozy” by a new to me author, Baynard Kendrick, appeared in my Overdrive library recently which I happily tried yesterday. I carried my kindle around in order to finish it so I liked it.😉 The Odor of Violets https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/53492667-the-odor-of-violets is written by a WWI vet who was not blind himself but was actively involved with blind veteran’s causes/groups throughout his lifetime, apparently his best friend became blind during WWI. So his main character being a blind WWI vet who runs a detective agency is not a far reach. This book was set in the build up to WWII ad filled with spy’s and two specially trained german shepherds. I will be honest and say it reminded me of the really old original Superman episodes which I watched with my kids thanks to a dvd set. 

• Like 3

Finally finished Portrait of a Lady! It actually got a lot more interesting after Isabel got married, although also more depressing. I stand by Isabel being an idiot, but hey Henry wrote her that way. I think after the turn of the screw and wings of a dove, I'm done with James. 

Borrowed a few books from the library including a Maisie Dobbs book ( so-so), and the final book in the dystopic magic Nora Roberts book (dark, messy). Rereading Ilona Andrews, why are they so satisfying?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bookbard said:

Finally finished Portrait of a Lady! It actually got a lot more interesting after Isabel got married, although also more depressing. I stand by Isabel being an idiot, but hey Henry wrote her that way. I think after the turn of the screw and wings of a dove, I'm done with James. 

Borrowed a few books from the library including a Maisie Dobbs book ( so-so), and the final book in the dystopic magic Nora Roberts book (dark, messy). Rereading Ilona Andrews, why are they so satisfying?

I hated Portrait of a Lady!  😛

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I haven't read much recently because I've been dealing with severe migraines. 😞

Mr. Parker Pyne, Detective -- Mediocre Agatha Christie -- not her worst, not close to her best

Indian Why Stories -- Frank Linderman -- This would be great as a read-aloud.  Alas, my kids have never been the read-aloud kind.  They prefer to read on their own at breakneck speed... :)  I really enjoyed these Native American stories.  I have a tiny amount of Creek blood and I am interested in learning more about that part of my ancestry.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Sorry to hear that Junie. Does that mean you can't listen to books either? Either way, sounds terrible.

I have never been able to concentrate on audiobooks.  My mind wanders too much.  That's part of why I never forced read-alouds on my kids.  Apples/tree. 😉

I have chronic migraines.  Basically, I've had a headache since mid-December.  Some days are worse than others, and they usually come several days at a time.  I've tried several medications and they all failed because of side effects.

Children's literature tends to be good when I have a moderate headache.  Large print and simpler vocabulary.  But on really bad days, I pretty much can't read anything.

Anyway, thanks for the well wishes. :)

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I too send good thoughts your way, @Junie, and hope that your migraines will soon abate.

Currently FREE for Kindle readers ~

Reforming the Rigid Duke: A Clean & Sweet Regency - Abby Ayles

All Regency Collection (A Timeless Romance Anthology Book 10) by Elliott, Anna, Eden, Sarah M., Kelly, Carla, Kilpack, Josi S., Lyon, Annette, Moore, Heather B

The Untold Story of the Blind Duchess: A Historical Regency - Tiffany Baton

A Merchant's Extraordinary Lady: A Historical Regency Romance - Aria Norten

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've recently finished a couple of books.

I enjoyed Time Lost (Out of Time Book 2) by C.B. Lewis which is the second book in a series I recently began. I hope to read on in the series. This is a future set mystery/romance that involves a company dealing with time travel. (Significant adult content)

"A dead intruder. A missing scientist. A terrified child.

No one wants a dramatic case first thing on a Monday morning, but that’s exactly what Detective Inspector Jacob Ofori got. It should be open and shut, but scientist Tom Sanders is nowhere to be found, a dead man seems to have appeared from thin air, and the Temporal Research Institute—Sanders’s company—is strangely uncooperative about assisting with the case.

Jacob’s only source is TRI engineer, Kit Rafferty. He clearly wants to help, but there’s only so much the man can and will tell him. As more and more impossible questions mount up, Jacob finds himself facing a reality that could change his world."

I also enjoyed rereading the science fiction romance Dark Space by Lisa Henry (Significant adult content)

"Brady Garrett needs to go home. He's a conscripted recruit on Defender Three, one of a network of stations designed to protect the Earth from alien attack. He's also angry, homesick, and afraid. If he doesn't get home he'll lose his family, but there's no way back except in a body bag.

Cameron Rushton needs a heartbeat. Four years ago Cam was taken by the Faceless--the alien race that almost destroyed Earth. Now he's back, and when the doctors make a mess of getting him out of stasis, Brady becomes his temporary human pacemaker. Except they're sharing more than a heartbeat: they're sharing thoughts, memories, and some very vivid dreams.

Not that Brady's got time to worry about his growing attraction to another guy, especially the one guy in the universe who can read his mind. It doesn't mean anything. It's just biochemistry and electrical impulses. It doesn't change the truth: Brady's alone in the universe.

Now the Faceless are coming and there's nothing anyone can do. You can't stop your nightmares. Cam says everyone will live, but Cam's probably a traitor and a liar like the military thinks. But that's okay. Guys like Brady don't expect happy endings."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

Hello! I'm not getting much reading done. My last book, Aurora Teagarden Sleep Like A Baby, was an audiobook. I'm excited to have completed two of the librarian challenges (even if they are out of order).

The reason for little to no reading is pictured below;  his name came straight from the literary world so I should get some credit somehow. Meet Thunder, my Belgian Groenendael. He is named after a Terry Pratchett animal character. I'm smitten with this little guy.

Edited: I apologize for the large pics. Does anyone know how to resize to make them smaller?

Thunder 1.jpg

Thunder 2.jpg

Edited by Granny_Weatherwax
  • Like 5

Lots of unhappy news in my family lately, capped with an diagnosis of pancreatic cancer for one of my siblings 😥

Interestingly, in response I have been overdosing on romances 🤯 

Haven't made it more than a page in anything more serious -- except for Fugitive Telemetry, since I 💓 murderbot!

Mostly Psy-changling (where last time I was reading these I got stuck on Heart of Obsidian and had to drop maybe 1/4 way in due to the triggering -- this time, I was prepared and was able to make it through and even enjoy it).  It was actually an online review for the upcoming book being fantastic that even got me back reading them. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

41. "Guerilla Learning" by Grace Llewellyn and Amy Silver.

40. "Don't Burn This Book" by Dave Rubin.

39. "The Madness of Crowds" by Douglas Murray.

38. "The Case of the Gypsy Good-bye" by Nancy Springer.

37. The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline" by Nancy Springer.

36. "The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan" by Nancy Springer.

35. "The Case of the Bizarre Bouquet" by Nancy Springer.

34. "The Case of the Left-Handed Lady" by Nancy Springer.

33. "Stuff Matters" by Mark Miodownik. Audible Book.

32. "Temple Grandin: How the Girl Who Loved Cows Embraced Autism and Changed the World" by Sy Montgomery. Audible Book.

31. "Uniquely Human: A Different Way of Seeing Autism" by Barry M Prizant. Audible Book.

30. "A Long Walk to Water" by Linda Sue Park. 

29. "The Kidnapped Prince: The Life of Olaudah Equiano" by Olaudah Equiano, adapted by Ann Cameron. 

28. "Journey to Jo'Burg" by Beverley Naidoo. 

27. "United States of Socialism" by Dinesh D'Souza.

26. "For the Love of Europe" by Rick Steves. 

25. "Animal Farm" by George Orwell. Audible book.

24. "The Case of the Missing Marquess" by Nancy Springer. 

23. "Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen" by J.K Rowling. Audible book. 

22. "Blackout" by Candace Owens.

21. "An Excellent Mystery" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.

20. "The Pilgrim of Hate" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.

19. "Dead Man's Ransom" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.

18. "4:50 from Paddington" by Agatha Christie. Audible book.

17. "Man in the Brown Suit" by Agatha Christie. Audible book. 

16. "The Mysterious Mr. Quin" by Agatha Christie. Audible book. 

15. "I Will Repay" by Baroness Orczy. Audible book. 

14. "Dead Man's Ranson" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.

13. "The Scarlet Pimpernel" by Baroness Orczy. Audible book.

12. "The Devil's Novice" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.

11. "The Sanctuary Sparrow" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.

10. "The Virgin in the Ice" by Ellis Peters. Audible book. 

9. "Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?" by Caitlin Doughty. 

8. "Law and Disorder: The Legendary Profiler's Relentless Pursuit of Justice" by John Doublas and Mark Olshaker. Audible book. 

7. "The Leper of St. Giles" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.

6. "The Cases That Haunt Us" by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker. Audible book. 

5. "From Here to Eternity: Travelling the World to Find the Good Death" by Caitlin Doughty. 

4. "Not a Day Care: The Devastating Consequences of Abandoning Truth" by Dr. Everett Piper. Audible book. 

3. "The Innocence of Father Brown" by G.K. Chesterton. Audible book.

2. "St. Peter's Fair" by Ellis Peters. Audible book.

1. "The Mysterious Mr. Quin: A Harley Quin Collection" by Agatha Christie. Audible book.

• Like 4

I've been busy reading. I enjoyed When Are You? by Addison Albright which is a romance with a time travel element. (Adult content)

"They have to find him ... but how?

A former member of an elite military special forces unit, Leo Bailey can handle anything life throws at him. Except maybe approaching a certain gorgeous, purple mohawk-wearing, heavily pierced artist. Not without his three eye-rolling wingmen along to push him in the right direction.

One look at the mouthwateringly muscled, military buzzcut-sporting man with the endearing blush, and Vincent Noland is in love. Or at least in lust. Love comes later. Then marriage ... and sweet, adorable Oscar.

Life is perfect -- the stuff of fairy tale happily ever afters -- except for Arthur Fletcher, whose unsettling reactions to them threaten to upset the happy balance of their lives. But it isn’t Arthur who throws their lives into turmoil.

A freak event causes Oscar to go missing and leaves both men frantic to rescue their son. As they piece together the clues, they discover that Oscar isn’t somewhere. He’s somewhen. And Arthur Fletcher holds the key -- or rather the glass beads -- to their one chance of finding Oscar.

Will Leo’s training, Vinnie’s determination, and Arthur’s knowledge help them find Oscar, or is the little boy doomed to spend the rest of his life at the mercy of a primitive civilization? Could there be a third possibility?"

I also read a compilation of two novels and two shorter pieces by the same author, Vows Box Set  by Addison AlbrightI particularly enjoyed the first novel, Til Death Do Us Part, and imagine I will reread it. (Adult content)

"'Til Death Do Us Part: Henry and Sam Miller-Greene are living the dream, but their worlds are shattered when Henry's plane crashes and he's presumed dead. But Henry survives undetected on a remote, small, and insignificant island. Will Sam and Henry's love be able to survive, as well? When Henry and Sam face an accidental estrangement, and Henry is assumed dead, can their love endure the trials of one's fight for survival, and the other's new love interest? When Henry is rescued, will Sam be able to put aside his new love when he reunites with Henry?

From This Day Forward: Henry and Sam are enjoying life after Henry's rescue. With their nightmare separation behind them, Henry and Sam are anxious to renew both the intensity of their former intimacies -- now hampered by having a curious and still apprehensive child sharing their home -- and their commitment to one another. Will they be able to move their love forward now that they are together again?

Okay, Then: Sam and Henry's first date/encounter is mentioned in flashback in 'Til Death Do Us Part, but this short story fleshes it out. Relive the moment they first connect while on a research trip in Honiara in the Solomon Islands.

To Love and To Cherish: Jilted by his fiancé Sam just weeks before their wedding, Nash Marino’s outlook on life in general, and love in particular, is jaded. Will Nash find love again? Of course he will. Will he go about it in the usual way? Now that’s another story entirely. When Nash’s marriage of convenience scheme is muddied by notions of love after a memory reboot, will their plans go awry, or will Nash’s new outlook on life be just what the doctor ordered?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

I don't know if anyone saw the thread earlier this week with the article about Pride & Prejudice? Here's the link: 

Anyway, the article was written by romance writer Courtney Milan, so I had a look for her books - I was able to get the whole Brothers Sinister series on kindle for $9 (Australian, probably cheaper for you guys). It's fantastic - feminist, thought-provoking, funny and clever historical romances. I am really enjoying these stories.

• Like 4

On 5/9/2021 at 12:14 PM, Ali in OR said:

So in the queue I have The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue, Transcendent Kingdom, The House in the Cerulean Sea, The Ten Thousand Doors of January, and then Pachinko will be delivered this next week. I foresee some great reading but also some overdue books in my future.

I loved loved loved Addie LaRue, Cerulean Sea, and Ten Thousand Doors.  Enjoy!!! Looking forward to hearing what you think about Transcendent Kingdom as it looks interesting. 

On 5/9/2021 at 4:25 PM, Kareni said:

Project Hail Mary: A Novel by Andy Weir was a good read. I liked it more than Artemis but not as much as The Martian

Added it to my wishlist!

On 5/9/2021 at 6:12 PM, mumto2 said:

I am reading Becky Chamber's The Galaxy and the Ground Within https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50209317-the-galaxy-and-the-ground-within and really enjoying it. So far the action is centered on an intergalactic rest stop where all the ships are stranded due to a freak atmospheric accident stranding everyone on this incredibly boring planet. All different species of alien getting to know each other. The descriptions of the characters are vivid enough that I have really interesting mind pictures of them all and wish there were graphic novels or something to check my imagination against! This is part of a series but all the parts of the series are pretty loosely related.

I liked the first two, will have to get back to them as they all sound good.

On 5/10/2021 at 7:16 AM, SKL said:

Hi guys.  I have made so little progress on anything for the past couple months.  My puppy is to blame.  I'm lucky if I read one page per day.  But, that's better than I did when my kids came home, so ....

I'm down to slowly reading through Think Like a Monk.  I don't really love it, but it does remind me of some things I've learned before and half forgotten.

One thing that's interesting is how differently we read things like this over a lifetime.  You know, the books / materials that advise us to focus on what's going to be important in the long run.  Like, when we're young in your career / endeavors, we can't really hear "the small stuff doesn't matter."  Maybe we think, "easy for you to say, you aren't living hand to mouth and getting critical work reviews."  Eventually we find our niche and are open to the idea that "everything's gonna be all right."  We feel like we're following our hearts, living in the moment, approaching dharma / perfection.  Then, after some more life happens, we're like, "ahh, those innocent days when it was all about us, when we could mostly control how the evening was gonna go, ha ha.  When we thought finding meaning was actually an end.  Man, my back hurts."  I wonder what the next stage will be like ....

Yep, our fur babies are so much like babies, they do take up a lot of time.  I saw Jay Shetty on Jada Pinkett's Smith's Red Table Talk and he was so interesting. Added his book to my wish list. 

• Like 2

On 5/10/2021 at 11:33 AM, Laurel-in-CA said:

Lots of graduation stuff for my youngest over the next couple of weeks, as well as driving test. Child #3 has her CNA license exam this week, praying for a no-migraine day when she takes it!

DH and I are researching prostate cancer treatment options. After this past year's unpredictability and unemployment, we are inclined to opt for the solution that does *not* require a 2-year treatment plan. Luckily, it's early days. He still has some follow-ups to ascertain extent of cancer before we make a final decision. Oh, topped off with a root canal.

Well wishes for success for your kids and good thoughts and prayers winging you and hubby's way.  

On 5/12/2021 at 3:30 AM, bookbard said:

Just something about their writing and the stories that keep us coming back. 

On 5/12/2021 at 10:44 AM, Junie said:

I haven't read much recently because I've been dealing with severe migraines

So sorry you are suffering and hope you get to feeling better soon. 

On 5/12/2021 at 3:52 PM, Granny_Weatherwax said:

Hello! I'm not getting much reading done. My last book, Aurora Teagarden Sleep Like A Baby, was an audiobook. I'm excited to have completed two of the librarian challenges (even if they are out of order).

The reason for little to no reading is pictured below;  his name came straight from the literary world so I should get some credit somehow. Meet Thunder, my Belgian Groenendael. He is named after a Terry Pratchett animal character. I'm smitten with this little guy.

Oh my gosh, he's adorable.  What a face and I can see why you're smitten.

On 5/12/2021 at 8:35 PM, LaughingCat said:

Lots of unhappy news in my family lately, capped with an diagnosis of pancreatic cancer for one of my siblings 😥

Hugs and Prayers winging your family's way. 

@KareniThank you for all the wonderful links.

😘

• Like 3