Menu

WWYD-sick person at church?

During the past year, my toddler has had at least 3 episodes of runny nose and cough. Each time the Dr has told me she doesn't need a covid test because the odds that she has covid symptoms when everyone else in the house is fine are almost nil. He said all the normal run of the mill toddler viruses are still out there infecting kids and the reason she gets sick and no one else does is because we've all been exposed to them and she hasn't yet. So basically, unless someone older than her in the house gets covid symptoms too, stop freaking out about it and stop calling him 😉

So maybe in the OP situation it was just the one child that was sick, and that's what they had been told too.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

During the past year, my toddler has had at least 3 episodes of runny nose and cough. Each time the Dr has told me she doesn't need a covid test because the odds that she has covid symptoms when everyone else in the house is fine are almost nil. He said all the normal run of the mill toddler viruses are still out there infecting kids and the reason she gets sick and no one else does is because we've all been exposed to them and she hasn't yet. So basically, unless someone older than her in the house gets covid symptoms too, stop freaking out about it and stop calling him 😉

So maybe in the OP situation it was just the one child that was sick, and that's what they had been told too.

Well, but taking a kid sick with any virus, snotting all over into church isn't really cool either. God gives sick days, I'm pretty sure 🙂

I don't know how old the child in question was, but I had one child who might have a break down getting ready for church--such as lost a favorite toy, couldn't find the right shoes, or a number of things that would start crying hysterically--and once that happened would have a runny nose.  So, besides allergies, I had a child that could easily have a terribly runny nose without being ill.  Personally, a runny nose would not necessarily be a sign that a child was sick--especially with something contagious.  If I did not feel confident in the other family's ability to make a reasonable judgment that their child was sick, then I would think the best thing to do was for me to remove myself for the situation.  

19 hours ago, Farrar said:

Yeah, I will say, we isolated pretty well last year during the pandemic and are still really strongly curtailed on stuff (though we'll all be fully vaxxed soon, so that's about to change). But this let me know that most of the time when I feel like maybe I'm getting a cold during spring... I'm not. It's allergies. It's always allergies. Same for the kids. So I am trying to be aware of that. But in this case... allergies don't typically make people drip giant globs of snot and need piles and piles of tissues... unless they trigger a sinus infection.

I don't even HAVE allergies and the amount of pollen in the air recently has me sneezing from the sheer, physical onslaught of stuff I'm breathing in.  Allergy sufferers must be absolutely miserable right now.  I'd be tempted to have a mask that says "I'm not contagious, I have allergies."

• Like 2
1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I don't even HAVE allergies and the amount of pollen in the air recently has me sneezing from the sheer, physical onslaught of stuff I'm breathing in.  Allergy sufferers must be absolutely miserable right now.  I'd be tempted to have a mask that says "I'm not contagious, I have allergies."

Can I just say that tree reproduction should be banned in nature, and only lab produced trees created? 😁 Tree sex just about kills me, and makes early spring not fun even though I sooooooooo look forward to the end of winter!

As for church, I am just a big fan of giving kids antihistamine in time to take effect before church, soccer, whatever, or stay home if not an allergy. Other families should not have to figure out what is wrong with the child or have to leave because of it. I know it gets old staying home with little ones because they get viruses all.the.time. But unfortunately, it really is what needs to happen, and we need to be a society in which this is very okay. No one needs the perfect attendance award at church, kid sports, piano lessons, etc.

• Like 2

Part of the problem with tree pollen - unless you're living a truly rural life, in which case idk - is that for generations, urban planners have mostly planted *male* trees on streets and in parks. Because they don't produce fruit or nuts or horse chestnuts or whatever. No, instead, they produce pollen. Lots and lots of pollen. And without female trees to pick up that pollen from that air and reproduce with it, it just floats around and around and around.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Tanaqui said:

Part of the problem with tree pollen - unless you're living a truly rural life, in which case idk - is that for generations, urban planners have mostly planted *male* trees on streets and in parks. Because they don't produce fruit or nuts or horse chestnuts or whatever. No, instead, they produce pollen. Lots and lots of pollen. And without female trees to pick up that pollen from that air and reproduce with it, it just floats around and around and around.

More misogyny gone awry!!!! 😂😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
31 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Can I just say that tree reproduction should be banned in nature, and only lab produced trees created? 😁 Tree sex just about kills me, and makes early spring not fun even though I sooooooooo look forward to the end of winter!

Yup. When it is nice and you want to open the windows you know doing so means making yourself sick. I hate it. And hang clothes outside to dry? Not unless you have a death wish. 

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

I am so depraved! I am getting some really bad images here, "it just floats around and around and around". Ai yi yi yi yi.... Bad Faith, very bad Faith!

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

The idea of the adults not being sick and therefore it's unlikely the kid has covid crossed my mind.  Now that most adults who want to be vaccinated have at least one shot down, I don't really have confidence in this anymore.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

My allergist had me start taking my surge protocol, which is usually reserved for high pollen count seasons, back last Spring. The reason was explicitly to control symptoms both so it was easier to tell if I had caught something else, and for social reasons. I do think masking during allergy season has helped me, fortunately, but I sometimes wonder whether there will be any long term side effects from being on the high doses of antihistamines for a full year, when usually I'm only on them at that level for a couple of weeks. 

We recently had to take our daughter off of her allergy medicaine. It's not supposed to be used for more than 3 months out of the year and we realzied she'd been taking them for 9!

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

I don't know.  I live in the suburbs, but they didn't remove the original trees when they built the houses.  It's super woodsy here and most of the trees can't be blamed on the urban planners.  It's definitely an allergy hotspot and it's not usual for cars to be yellow from pollen.  Everyone says if you don't have allergies when you move here, you'll eventually develop them.  Luckily I don't suffer from seasonal allergies, but I'm definitely sneezing now and then because there's so much stuff to inhale.  The oak pollen is crazy right now.

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Yup. When it is nice and you want to open the windows you know doing so means making yourself sick. I hate it. And hang clothes outside to dry? Not unless you have a death wish. 

Here, when we finally get past pollen, people burn sticks in the backyard. Always on nice days, not on chilly days or when it's too hot to open windows. Just the perfect days. Drives me bonkers!!!

• Like 1

I think you did the right thing. I left Sunday School a few years ago for a similar reason, but it was a grown woman with a barking cough. You don’t owe anyone an explanation for protecting your health. 

21 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

Even if it is just a cold though, the child still shouldn't have been in church with those symptoms.  In normal times, taking a sick kid to church puts the elderly and those with chronic illness at risk.  Now, when so many employers have and schools have restrictions that prohibit anyone with any symptoms from going to work or school, someone who spreads cold germs at church is also causing those people harm. 

One of the things that hopefully comes out of covid is an increased appreciation for the importance of keeping people home when they are sick.  

• Like 5
On 5/8/2021 at 9:44 PM, Danae said:

Globs of snot and boxes of tissues are what allergies look like in my family. My poor sister went through a box a day before she started allergy shots.

We go through about 5 boxes of tissues a week. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2021 at 8:59 PM, klmama said:

Why is this year so much worse for allergies?  I've heard that from local people, too.  Is it from the lack of rain to calm down the pollen in the air?  

I don't know about this year in particular, but I read a while back that allergies and pollen counts have been getting steadily worse for years, particularly in urban and suburban areas, because it's common to landscape in these areas with male-only trees to avoid the messes from fruiting female trees.  But male trees produce pollen and release it into the air, and female trees remove it from the air, so the imbalance leads to worse and worse pollen counts.

Edit: Nevermind, someone already said this.

Edited by Condessa

It very well could be allergies, but honestly there is no realistic way to know for certain. My son thought his allergies were flared up, took meds and once he realized he wasn't getting relief he started to suspect something was wrong. The next day he got very light body aches.....sure enough, he had Covid. 

The symptoms were just like a simple, no big deal cold for him. He just happened to get tested because of the body aches.  Had he exercised the day before the aches, he wouldn't have thought twice about those either. 

Right now, we can't assume anything. I think that people with symptoms, need to stay out of populated community areas. Period. 

• Like 3