Menu

3 German Gymnasts Fight Back Against Skimpy Leotards

Posted (edited)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56858863

Three German gymnasts competed in leotards with full length legs because they are annoyed by the issues that come with the regular leotards. Shorts are banned, and this is apparently the first time women have worn full coverage leotards for non-religious reasons.

Voss explained her decision in an interview with public broadcaster ZDF: "We women all want to feel good in our skin. In the sport of gymnastics it gets harder and harder as you grow out of your child's body. As a little girl I didn't see the tight gym outfits as such a big deal. But when puberty began, when my period came, I began feeling increasingly uncomfortable."

Under the rules of the international gymnastics federation (FIG) competitors are allowed to wear a "one-piece leotard with full-length legs - hip to ankle", provided it is of elegant design.

Seitz said everyone trained in full-body outfits and then at one point asked themselves why they should not do the same in competition.

Over on ChalkBucket there was a lot of discussion about this article. While nobody thinks more modest leotards will stop actual predators, several people think that allowing gymnasts to have more boundaries and say in they are forced to compete in is a good idea. It was also generally agreed that puberty and the need for young teens having to shave or wax down there and deal with the potential for leaks during their period leads some girls to quit the sport.

For those who don't know, you don't wear underwear with a leotard. At all the gyms we've been the girls usually choose to wear shorts over their leos during practice. Even worse, some gyms choose leos that are white in the crotch(!), and there is a growing trend of low-cut backs, which mean girls may have to go without a bra. Some of the gym moms were discussing girls choosing to duct-tape(!) themselves in place because the bras with clear straps don't work very well.

My gymnasts were boys, so we didn't have to deal with all this nonsense. It's a load of crock that you need to worry about your butt or p*bic hair hanging out for the judges to see what is going on. The boys were shorts on two events (floor and vault) and long pants on the other four events. The shorts are on the short side, so you see all of them tugging on them trying to get them to cover more of their legs. If gross 8-11 year old boys who still pee all over the floor and pick their nose are embarrassed by showing so much of their legs, why do we expect girls to show even more?

Edited by JumpyTheFrog
typo in title
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 1

This women's leotard stuff is misogynistic crap really. White crotch, low back, inability to wear a bra or whatever makes her comfortable to compete/practice is just misogynistic crap. More of the same old no bodily autonomy for women jive.  If boys can wear shorts, girls can wear shorts. The end. Choices are good. Boundaries even better.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

I love them!  

Yeah I cannot imagine having to deal with wearing leos as a girl just getting a hold of having your period.  And yeah this seems to solve so many other aspects like wedgies.  

My girls are ballet dancers so some of the same issues arise. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

And yeah this seems to solve so many other aspects like wedgies.  

My understanding is that girls can get deductions for picking their wedgies.

• Like 2

As a mom to former gymnasts and someone who used to work in a gym I love this.  They do make under leotard garments.  You can get both full style and bra/underwear combos.  Our gym's leotards allowed for both but most of the girls chose not to wear shorts.  Luckily my girls did not continue gymnastics past puberty so we never had to manage the shaving/tampon issue.  I am a former cheerleader so I know all about that tomfoolery.  

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, JumpyTheFrog said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56858863

Three German gymnasts competed in leotards with full length legs because they are annoyed by the issues that come with the regular leotards. Shorts are banned, and this is apparently the first time women have worn full coverage leotards for non-religious reasons.

Over on ChalkBucket there was a lot of discussion about this article. While nobody thinks more modest leotards will stop actual predators, several people think that allowing gymnasts to have more boundaries and say in they are forced to compete in is a good idea. It was also generally agreed that puberty and the need for young teens having to shave or wax down there and deal with the potential for leaks during their period leads some girls to quit the sport.

For those who don't know, you don't wear underwear with a leotard. At all the gyms we've been the girls usually choose to wear shorts over their leos during practice. Even worse, some gyms choose leos that are white in the crotch(!), and there is a growing trend of low-cut backs, which mean girls may have to go without a bra. Some of the gym moms were discussing girls choosing to duct-tape(!) themselves in place because the bras with clear straps don't work very well.

My gymnasts were boys, so we didn't have to deal with all this nonsense. It's a load of crock that you need to worry about your butt or p*bic hair hanging out for the judges to see what is going on. The boys were shorts on two events (floor and vault) and long pants on the other four events. The shorts are on the short side, so you see all of them tugging on them trying to get them to cover more of their legs. If gross 8-11 year old boys who still pee all over the floor and pick their nose are embarrassed by showing so much of their legs, why do we expect girls to show even more?

Some of the things in your post aren't necessarily true. Our gym required all gymnasts to wear underwear with their competition leos and even ordered them with the leos. Very few of the girls in our gym wore shorts during practice, but many did wear underwear. The shorts are often more about rubbing against the bars than about modesty anyway. One year we had leos with a cut out on the back (which was becoming very popular for awhile) and we told that USAG leo requirements do NOT allow open or low backs. They gave everyone time to replace the  leos with closed backs. Open backs don't mean no bras either. Our gym ordered bras for all the girls who needed them and we never had a problem with the clear strap bras.

I do agree that ordering competition leos with a white crotch is ridiculous. I've seen coaches have to clean blood off the beam and no young girl needs the stress of worrying about a white leo during her period. I think girls should be allowed to wear "bootie shorts" that go with their leo while competing if that makes them more comfortable. Our (female) coaches did a talk with the gymnasts every year about how to deal with periods and about shaving. Our gym owner was the father of six daughters and almost all of our coaches were female, so maybe they were more considerate about some of those things than other gyms. I'll have to head over to Chalkbucket and see what's being said.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

This women's leotard stuff is misogynistic crap really. White crotch, low back, inability to wear a bra or whatever makes her comfortable to compete/practice is just misogynistic crap. More of the same old no bodily autonomy for women jive.  If boys can wear shorts, girls can wear shorts. The end. Choices are good. Boundaries even better.

The college club (not NCAA) gymnastics organization just began allowing women to wear shorts over their leotards a few years ago. For those unfamiliar, the shorts are still skin-tight, like volleyball shorts. But they cover a lot more than no shorts!

Some people were arguing that more skin coverage wouldn't stop abusive coaches and doctors. I think the best point was that allowing more leotard choices show girls they should be allowed to say, "No, that makes me uncomfortable! I won't do it." Hopefully this would make it easier for them to stand up against worse things.

• Like 11
2 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

Some of the things in your post aren't necessarily true. Our gym required all gymnasts to wear underwear with their competition leos and even ordered them with the leos. Very few of the girls in our gym wore shorts during practice, but many did wear underwear. The shorts are often more about rubbing against the bars than about modesty anyway. One year we had leos with a cut out on the back (which was becoming very popular for awhile) and we told that USAG leo requirements do NOT allow open or low backs. They gave everyone time to replace the  leos with closed backs. Open backs don't mean no bras either. Our gym ordered bras for all the girls who needed them and we never had a problem with the clear strap bras.

Is this special underwear that doesn't show with leotards? Perhaps I am mistaken, but considering the lack of underwear sticking out (I've only seen it once, even in rec classes), I thought girls do without it.

My boys competed for three different gyms and I'd say 80+% of the girls wore shorts, especially over a certain age. Maybe this varies by area.

As far as the bras, I'm just relaying what people on ChalkBucket are reporting about competition leos. I hope that the problem has been greatly exaggerated. I do know that we were at one large meet with both boys and girls sessions and another team mom (with both boy and girl gymnasts) pointed out some of the leos had cut-outs that she said were technically against the rules. The back was low-cut with a maybe two inch horizontal part to cover the strap of what I think was a special order bra.

I saw this and it seems really positive. I can only assume that many female gymnasts would appreciate something in between these two ends of coverage... but maybe things will get more diverse in terms of what's acceptable and used. It sounds like many of the issues with the uniforms aren't even about modesty per se, but about design that's not female-centric. 

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, JumpyTheFrog said:

Is this special underwear that doesn't show with leotards? Perhaps I am mistaken, but considering the lack of underwear sticking out (I've only seen it once, even in rec classes), I thought girls do without it.

My boys competed for three different gyms and I'd say 80+% of the girls wore shorts, especially over a certain age. Maybe this varies by area.

As far as the bras, I'm just relaying what people on ChalkBucket are reporting about competition leos. I hope that the problem has been greatly exaggerated. I do know that we were at one large meet with both boys and girls sessions and another team mom (with both boy and girl gymnasts) pointed out some of the leos had cut-outs that she said were technically against the rules. The back was low-cut with a maybe two inch horizontal part to cover the strap of what I think was a special order bra.

The underwear is made by GK. They're super stretchy and comfortable, can be ordered in different skin colors, and are cut so they don't show. It definitely makes the girls feel more confident, especially during their period, to be able to wear underwear.

Yes, the open back leos are technically against the rules, but for awhile it wasn't enforced. After they started becoming really popular, it was announced that the rule would be enforced after a certain date. Our gym always tried to get two years out of competition leos and we either had to switch leos or sew cloth over the open back. 

54 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

My first thought is how relieved I’d be not to have to get a Brazilian anymore. 

I think full body leotards - thinking of solid colors - would actually have helped me see body lines back in the days I did a little judging (a million years ago - I was a competitive gymnast back when there was a lot more ballet than high technical difficulty to the sport).

• Like 1

I'm so glad to see this (though my family has never had any personal investment in gymnastics). It looks much more elegant to me, as well as more comfortable.

• Like 4

I LOVE THIS!!! YAY for choices and I hope this is just the beginning of some freedom for these young gymnasts to have some autonomy. My girls personally know several girls who quit gymnastics after a certain age because of body issues. They suddenly felt very exposed in their competition leotards even though they had been competing for years. As their bodies changed, they became very self aware and uncomfortable and quit the sport entirely. 😕 That's just not a thing that should happen because of a leotard. 😕

Letting the boys have shorts that are a couple inches longer and letting the girls determine the length of the legs of their leotards just shouldn't be such a struggle, yk? I've always heard the "Body lines" argument - but the boys are wearing loose-legged PANTS for half of their competitions. Body lines be damned!

• Like 11

The gym my kids went to specifically says "no underwear" under leos and doesn't allow shorts over the top or "biketards." The tumbling classes allow shorts & t-shirts & my kid that did gymnastics the longest just did that.

I'm all for more coverage for those who want it.

Finally! If I was them, I’d have been resentful about all the private grooming required in the smaller leotards and I’d ditch those right away and be wearing these longer ones for sure. 

• Like 4

Good for them! It is ridiculous in this day and age that their clothing standards are different than the males. 

• Like 5

I absolutely approve as a parent who had a kid do a sport that has body baring uniforms-and who got less and less comfortable with it as puberty progressed. 

There is a trend in competitive cheer to go to uniforms that have shorts or capris and to do full coverage tops for more teams. It was supposed to come in as a new requirement for international division teams this season, but due to COVID, it's been pushed back. I approve-it looks athletic, but more importantly, as I've watched eCheer this season, I've seen far fewer girls uncomfortably pulling down their skirts or adjusting their tops-and the level of comfort the kids seem to have in the uniforms that cover more seems to far outweigh the possible increased discomfort of more coverage when you're working hard and sweating in hot conditions. 

• Like 4
15 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

I do agree that ordering competition leos with a white crotch is ridiculous. I've seen coaches have to clean blood off the beam and no young girl needs the stress of worrying about a white leo during her period. I think girls should be allowed to wear "bootie shorts" that go with their leo while competing if that makes them more comfortable. Our (female) coaches did a talk with the gymnasts every year about how to deal with periods and about shaving. Our gym owner was the father of six daughters and almost all of our coaches were female, so maybe they were more considerate about some of those things than other gyms. I'll have to head over to Chalkbucket and see what's being said.

I think the clear strap effectiveness depends heavily on how you're built. It may be better for gymnastics, which seems to usually have a more tight range of build, but in cheer, it was mixed.  For my kid, who is petite to start with (I didn't get over a B cup until I was pregnant), it was fine. It provided an extra layer of confidence, but wasn't that big of a deal. For some of the teammates, particularly the very muscular ones, it was not enough. When you're a D cup at 16 and are a power tumbler, you NEED support. I've seen girls buy their uniform tops a size too small just on the hopes of providing a reasonable b00kshelf-even though it meant that it was really, really uncomfortable, and next to impossible to get out of once you were hot and sweaty. Designing a uniform top that allows coverage of actual sports bras lets everyone choose the amount of support they need. 

• Like 4

Does anyone else find clear straps horrifically uncomfortable?  They're plastic-y and grabby and chaffing and awful.  I've only ever had to endure them for 5-10 minute dance performances, but these girls have to be in them for hours doing Really Hard Things.  

• Like 1

Love it though I think it will be a long uphill battle.  My kids did Xcel shorts are legal there we never saw a single pair.  Our team didn't allow them.  One kid wore a bra and underwear. One wore pasties and no underwear.  One was never bothered by the uniform one it contributed to her quitting.  

Posted (edited)

DDs gym allowed shorts in practice and/or when a gymnast was on her period. Most of the gymnasts understood tampons would be more comfortable and used them once they began menstruating. Kids never quit because of tampons. The rigors of training (and bad coaching) cause that.

All of the competition leotards DD had were primarily blue or black. I can’t remember seeing white competition leos on any team. Girls with bigger chests usually had super tight leos up top so that they didn’t ride up on the bottom. DD still wore a sports bra underneath.

Any one piece uniform, which women’s gym requires (even men in wrestling and gym wear a singlet that doesn’t flap around) will be tough to fit on all body types.  I could see my DD choosing to wear a bike short version of this but neck to ankle would drive her nuts. Hooray for more options tho.

I am in the camp that thinks the amount of clothing worn isn’t what attracts or permits pervs to do things. Wearing skirts to your ankles and tops to your neck doesn’t prevent that. It’s just another form of victim blaming. I think athlete performance, functionality and comfort should be paramount WRT uniforms, not perv perceptions, and if the athletes want a shorts/pants option to helps with that, they should get it.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'd love to see a men's team be their allies and show up in those insanely cut leotards one day just to drive the point home. 😆

There’s nothing left to the imagination in a wrestling or weightlifting singlet.

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

I am in the camp that thinks the amount of clothing worn isn’t what attracts or permits pervs to do thing. Wearing skirts to your ankles and tops to your neck doesn’t prevent that. It’s just another form of victim blaming. I think athlete performance, functionality and comfort should be paramount WRT uniforms, not perv perceptions and that if the athletes want a shorts/pants option to helps with that, they should get it.

ITA agree with that. The issue with uniforms has nothing to do with creeps to me. My issue is forcing the girls/ladies to wear more revealing clothing than they are comfortable with for no reason. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

Kids never quit because of tampons.

I played a different sport that allowed for regular athletic clothes. I never got the hang of tampons in high school. I'd wear them for my sport, but they always leaked and I had to wear a pad as well. Things got better once I learned about menstrual cups on Usenet. (Does anyone remember that?) I had to use my mom's credit card to import one from Canada because this was about ten years before they were available in any US stores. Anyway, my point is that had I been a gymnast, I wouldn't have been able to continue because I couldn't get the tampon thing figure out. (I realize there are more options now, but I can't be the only one who had this problem.)

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Soror said:

ITA agree with that. The issue with uniforms has nothing to do with creeps to me. My issue is forcing the girls/ladies to wear more revealing clothing than they are comfortable with for no reason. 

ITA.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JumpyTheFrog said:

I played a different sport that allowed for regular athletic clothes. I never got the hang of tampons in high school. I'd wear them for my sport, but they always leaked and I had to wear a pad as well. Things got better once I learned about menstrual cups on Usenet. (Does anyone remember that?) I had to use my mom's credit card to import one from Canada because this was about ten years before they were available in any US stores. Anyway, my point is that had I been a gymnast, I wouldn't have been able to continue because I couldn't get the tampon thing figure out. (I realize there are more options now, but I can't be the only one who had this problem.)

Some kids STILL wear pads in gym. They’re squeezing their tushes together so tight that no one would ever know but the gymnast. DD usually had a panty liner as backup. It was never an issue. I just think effective coaching helps normalize and minimize these issues. Competitive gym for most is 4-5 days a week, 12-18 hours a week, all year round. One week a month is annoying. The daily grind is what kills you.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • JumpyTheFrog changed the title to 3 German Gymnasts Fight Back Against Skimpy Leotards
Posted (edited)

Ok.  I sm confused.  This boards seems to be that modesty stuff is harmful and a bunch of crap.  But you are for having gymnasts cover up so it isn’t sexual.  But in regular clothes for regular people, you would condemn people for saying it is sexual and my boys shouldn’t bounce tgeir eyes. What a girl wears shouldnt influence them? So which is it?

Sorry. Such a confusing time to raise boys.   Or girls. I told my girl to be careful how she dresses.  I love tgaes new uniforms, but I am surprised rhis board likes them

Edited by TexasProud
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Ok.  I sm confused.  This boards seems to be that modesty stuff is harmful and a bunch of crap.  But you are for having gymnasts cover up so it isn’t sexual.  But in regular clothes for regular people, you would condemn people for saying it is sexual and my boys shouldn’t bounce tgeir eyes. What a girl wears shouldnt influence them? So which is it?

Sorry. Such a confusing time to raise boys.   Or girls. I told my girl to be careful how she dresses.  I love tgaes new uniforms, but I am surprised rhis board likes them

I think it comes down to choice.  If a girl isn’t comfortable wearing a revealing leotard, she should have options.  Nobody is saying that girls shouldn’t wear leotards, but that if a girl isn’t comfortable in one she should be able to wear something with more fabric.

• Like 9
1 minute ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I think it comes down to choice.  If a girl isn’t comfortable wearing a revealing leotard, she should have options.  Nobody is saying that girls shouldn’t wear leotards, but that if a girl isn’t comfortable in one she should be able to wear something with more fabric.

I don’t have a problem with tgat.  I agree.  But still feels like a double standard when tge board bashes people for telling tgeir girls to dress modestly.  Maybe tge difference is it comes from the girl?  But then why is the other uniform bad if nothing is truly sexual.  Only the way someone looks at it is sexual....  Just so confused 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I was a little confused at first, too. Last time we talked about gymnasts, I wrote that I didn’t think it was right that the males were covered more than the females. One WTMer certainly jumped on me about that and made it out like I was pushing a modesty agenda, which I wasn’t. (I was thinking of wedgies and waxing and periods and how miserable it must be to deal with all that because you have to wear a small leotard in front of judges and an audience.)

But today, the girls are covered head to heel and everyone is happy about it. 

All I can do is think, ‘Ok, so I wasn’t actually all that far off back then. That one poster must have been reading more into what I wrote than I intended.” And I felt vindicated. I wasn’t pushing a modestly, pearl-clutching agenda back then after all.

Texas, I think the idea of whether it’s “modesty” or not comes from who wants the girls covered up. Is someone shaming them from the outside? Like, do they need to wear smaller clothing items to perform the sport, but they’re being forced to wear cumbersome clothes?

Or is it coming from the girls themselves? Are they tired of the shaving and waxing and getting wedgies, so they want something more practical that will enhance their ability to perform their sport?

I think that’s the key.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I don’t have a problem with tgat.  I agree.  But still feels like a double standard when tge board bashes people for telling tgeir girls to dress modestly.  Maybe tge difference is it comes from the girl?  But then why is the other uniform bad if nothing is truly sexual.  Only the way someone looks at it is sexual....  Just so confused 

I actually think that for most of us, it comes down to practicality and the undo burden placed on girls to make the get up work to the industry standard which has required "other" then the boys who do not have to bikini wax, tape their breasts, shave or wax legs, and armpits. It is so hard on the girls in puberty. I would be perfectly fine with basketball shorts and jerseys if it was practical, but for this particular sport, not.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I actually think that for most of us, it comes down to practicality and the undo burden placed on girls to make the get up work to the industry standard which has required "other" then the boys who do not have to bikini wax, tape their breasts, shave or wax legs, and armpits. It is so hard on the girls in puberty. I would be perfectly fine with basketball shorts and jerseys if it was practical, but for this particular sport, not.

The women’s competition leos are long sleeved and I’m not aware of women/girls taping their breasts. Gym training can also delay puberty. My DD never bikini waxed although maybe some of the teens do/did. A lot of the men wax/shave their chests and legs tho, they also do that in swimming.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

The women’s competition leos are long sleeved and I’m not aware of women/girls taping their breasts. Gym training can also delay puberty. My DD never bikini waxed although maybe some of the teens do/did. A lot of the men wax/shave their chests and legs tho, they also do that in swimming.

I know it cam be different depending on gym and coach. The local high school gymnastics coach requires breast taping, and bikini waxing, and then also appears to get angry when girls go through puberty. I am still shocked that parents and the school put up with his attitude. I know I would never have allowed it with my kids.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Re: modesty--I figure there is objectification going on any time females are expected to cover either significantly more or significantly less skin than males. In terms of gymnastics, I see that as a problem if men are allowed shorts/pants and women are forbidden to wear them.

And all the practical complications of wearing a uniform that only barely covers the crotch--shaving, dealing with periods, sometimes glueing the leotard in place--just seems like an unnecessary burden for those girls/women who would rather just wear something with a bit more coverage. 

I'd love to see female gymnasts have more options. 

• Like 9
1 minute ago, Faith-manor said:

I know it cam be different depending on gym and coach. The local high school gymnastics coach requires breast taping, and bikini waxing, and then also appears to get angry when girls go through puberty. I am still shocked that parents and the school put up with his attitude. I know I would never have allowed it with my kids.

Yeah, coaching is a huge issue and variant. Our gym in HI was renown for training successful collegiate gymnasts without any of those rules.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, maize said:

Re: modesty--I figure there is objectification going on any time females are expected to cover either significantly more or significantly less skin than males. In terms of gymnastics, I see that as a problem if men are allowed shorts/pants and women are forbidden to wear them.

And all the practical complications of wearing a uniform that only barely covers the crotch--shaving, dealing with periods, sometimes glueing the leotard in place--just seems like an unnecessary burden for those girls/women who would rather just wear something with a bit more coverage. 

I'd love to see female gymnasts have more options. 

Except it’s NOT required for the sport to wear skimpy leotards (as these women just proved) but by many of the coaches (who do have a history of objectifying and abusing women). Women and girls are allowed to wear these things in competition. I do hope these options become more common but that’s really gonna start by ridding the sport of its abusive coaches.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3
Posted (edited)

It's definitely about choice and comfort and choice.  I don't care if my kids wear a bikini or swim tights and rash guard or anything in between.  They should have options.  Even our swim team has options of the cut of the suit.

Edited by rebcoola
  • Like 6

Yes, it is about choice. Our bodies are not for others to decide and decree how we should dress. To blame us for the errant thoughts and actions of sick people. Teenage girls have a hard enough time they shouldn't be pushed to reveal themselves if they don't want to and they shouldn't be slut shamed if they want to show more skin than others feel comfortable with. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I wish there was a two piece leotard with the legs being an option. Anyone who has had to put on a one-piece like that knows how tough it is, especially hitting the bathroom after you are sweaty...

• Like 4
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I wish there was a two piece leotard with the legs being an option. Anyone who has had to put on a one-piece like that knows how tough it is, especially hitting the bathroom after you are sweaty...

Yes this! When I bought my first tankini, I said never again to one piece suits. I will never wear a romper no matter how "in". Nope, big fan of easily going to the bathroom.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 3