Menu

Special Ed vs General Ed

My son is going back to school next year and we are doing his triennial now (we took him back out temporarily due to covid, and he was homeschooling from KG-3rd).    He just turned 13 and has ADHD and dyslexia.

He was in Special Ed in elementary school (4th and 5th grade).   They wanted to discuss whether this would be a good year to try him in regular ed math.   He was several grades behind when we started and is now just one grade behind.   In Spec Ed though he was able to go at his own pace and make rapid progress.   I'm concerned they would just stick him in 6th grade math (we've already held him back a year) and he would just stay a year behind in stead of being able to catch up (as time in summer is limited.)

Anyone have any experience with this?   I'm not even sure if I know what to ask to help me decide.

I have had this discussion.  

If he is in regular Ed — ask, but I assume that means he would be in a grade-level class.  I don’t think that means they would place him a year behind.

I think ask what level he would be put into if there are multiple levels that are all considered regular Ed math for his grade.  

Ime I would expect a regular Ed math placement for 8th grade to be a class called 8th Grade Math or Pre-Algebra.  And if the class is called 8th Grade Math — the next expected class would be called Algebra I.  

I think call or send an email and ask for details.

I think think about what you want for 9th grade — will one choice set him up better for 9th grade?  

I do think sticking a 7th grader in 6th grade math sounds like a disservice. 

Where we used to live, 8th grade math had an option to take an extra class period that was an extra help class for 8th grade math.  That was considered regular Ed not special Ed.

There may be a good option that is not considered Special Ed.  Anything that is RTI may not be considered Special Ed but possibly could be a good fit.

If there is still time left you might be able to visit classes while school is still in session, if you wanted to.  

I did decide to keep my son in Special Ed math.  I worked with him a huge amount and he tested in the low 90s on some math testing.  In my heart I did not think it was sustainable.  The school did not “really” think it was what they would recommend, but since he scored in that range it was appropriate to bring it up.  

Edit:  I looked back and my son’s overall IQ score was 75.  He does score higher on nonverbal than verbal.  But it is unlikely he is going to be in a degree tract in high school.  

Edited by Lecka