Menu

Talk me through the Lyme related freak out, please

Spryte

Advice from Lyme literate peeps welcome.  Or sympathy.  I’m trying not to panic, but probably have medical PTSD about this issue, so please JAWM or scroll past if you think this is no big deal.

Ticks.

Two ticks embedded on DD(10).  Removed.  Saved in baggie with moist cotton in case we need to test them.

We are fostering puppies, who arrived two days ago.  We pulled an engorged tick off one pup tonight.  They are only five weeks old.  I’m not sure what to do for the puppies beyond thorough tick checks tomorrow, and I’m washing/drying all bedding. Any tips on how to be sure there are no more ticks lurking?

And DD.  😢 We are in a Lyme endemic area.  Our family has truly suffered with tick borne diseases - we are way past Lyme here.  DS and I have both had long drawn out battles with babesiosis and bartonella in addition to Lyme.  I am not exaggerating when I say that we nearly lost DS at one point.  Really scary. And I will never be the same, tick diseases really left my body a mess.  Oh man, I just can’t even consider DD going through this. I want her treated preventatively.  How do I make that happen?

I will call the pedi on Monday, but she’s very conservative and I have no idea if she will prophylactically treat Lyme - I’d want 28 days at least.  And our LLMD has never seen DD, so can’t just call something in.  She’s two hours away and always booked.  Aaaagh. Any advice on how to make this happen?

What’s the latest re: prophylactic treatment in kids? I’m woefully out of date.

Trying really hard not to freak out.

(Oh, and I will need to do a tick check on my 80 yr old mom, too, since she’s also been cuddling the puppies.  Aaaagh!)

Edited by Spryte
  • Sad 6

• Spryte changed the title to Talk me through the Lyme related freak out, please

Honestly, Lyme happens. When you catch it early and do the antibiotics, it's not that big a deal. The only time it becomes a big deal is when you don't catch it and end up with Lyme for months or years and the host of issues that results.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Katy said:

Take her to a walk in clinic in the morning.  The sooner she gets on antibiotics the better.

Thanks. I will.  And I’ve emailed our LLMD, but ironically DD is the only family member she hasn’t treated, so DD would probably need to be seen.  

So very sorry. 

Are these the larger dog ticks?  Or the tiny deer ticks?  Maybe it's different where you live, but here they say that Lyme is mostly carried by the deer ticks and not the dog ticks.  

As for the doctor stuff, Katy has the right idea about trying to get her seen and, if needed, get the ticks tested, so she can get started on antibiotics ASAP.  If they only give her two weeks worth, well, that's two weeks to hopefully talk with the Lyme literate doctor to see if she needs more.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Honestly, Lyme happens. When you catch it early and do the antibiotics, it's not that big a deal. The only time it becomes a big deal is when you don't catch it and end up with Lyme for months or years and the host of issues that results.

Yes, you’re completely right.  I don’t want to panic, and honestly not even all ticks carry anything.  I’m trying to work through the knee-jerk freak out, and it helps to be reminded that caught early and treated, Lyme doesn’t have to be the big deal it was for DS or me.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Yes, you’re completely right.  I don’t want to panic, and honestly not even all ticks carry anything.  I’m trying to work through the knee-jerk freak out, and it helps to be reminded that caught early and treated, Lyme doesn’t have to be the big deal it was for DS or me.  

My kid had the most straightforward and severe case of Lyme. Rash, fever, throwing up. It was years ago so it was even before they upped the antibiotics so he only got part of the course you get now. He was fine. No long term issues. It should really be fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, klmama said:

So very sorry. 

Are these the larger dog ticks?  Or the tiny deer ticks?  Maybe it's different where you live, but here they say that Lyme is mostly carried by the deer ticks and not the dog ticks.  

As for the doctor stuff, Katy has the right idea about trying to get her seen and, if needed, get the ticks tested, so she can get started on antibiotics ASAP.  If they only give her two weeks worth, well, that's two weeks to hopefully talk with the Lyme literate doctor to see if she needs more.  

They look like deer ticks. DH and I know our ticks, at this point.  They are small enough that I need to really look to determine male/female.  One is more likely to transmit than the other.  

DD is the primary puppy cuddler here.  I’m sure they arrived with the pups, who have only been here two days.  

Now I need to figure out if there are more.  

2 minutes ago, Farrar said:

My kid had the most straightforward and severe case of Lyme. Rash, fever, throwing up. It was years ago so it was even before they upped the antibiotics so he only got part of the course you get now. He was fine. No long term issues. It should really be fine.

I’m so sorry he had it, but glad he’s fine now.  Whew. Thank goodness you caught it!

My teen’s tick borne disease experience was weird.  He had a bizarre episode of meningitis followed by six weeks of intermittent 104-105 temps and was just horribly ill.  Finally figured out it was Babesiosis.  And he has Bartonella now, which has been almost impossible to kick.  He sees the LLMD this month.

And then there’s my nightmare of Lyme and co misdiagnosed as MS and the subsequent years of treatment when we finally figured it out, thanks to a vet.  

I’m just so over all the tick borne diseases.

• Sad 8

I would not assume they came from the puppies. This is the time of year I got lyme in my backyard. There are ticks & chiggers everywhere in the grass right now.  They may have hiked in on them from going outside though.

IME if you say you found engorged ticks on her & you’re in the same area you were when your son got lyme, a walk in clinic will give you the antibiotics without too many questions. 

Edited by Katy
Typo
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, klmama said:

So very sorry. 

Dog ticks are very noticeably different to those of us in Lyme-infested areas. The name is kind of a misnomer, because deer ticks are very happy to grab and infect dogs.

@SpryteI’d ask around, on FB or the like, for pro-active physicians/practices. In my area, we’ve had a practice that blew us off and put us on a multi-month seek for answers. We’ve also had a practice that I called FROM the park where dd got bit, and they let me drive her straight there for 3 weeks of antibiotics, no questions asked.

• Like 2

Spryte, if you still see that doctor who gave your son the ozone treatment, go that route. It should work very well, especially for a recent tic bite.

ETA Ozone dialysis can treat long-term Lyme without causing a herx reaction. You’d have to find someone who has experience with it, though. Ozone MDs would know since they often communicate with each other on forums. As a bonus, the dialysis can also clear out arterial plagues.

Edited by BeachGal
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

Spryte, if you still see that doctor who gave your son the ozone treatment, go that route. It should work very well, especially for a recent tic bite.

ETA Ozone dialysis can treat long-term Lyme without causing a herx reaction. You’d have to find someone who has experience with it, though. Ozone MDs would know since they often communicate with each other on forums. As a bonus, the dialysis can also clear out arterial plagues.

Good memory!  That’s our LLMD.  I have emailed her.  We can’t see her for a few weeks, so hopefully I can get DD in with someone locally to get her started this weekend.

We have checked the puppies this morning, checked our dogs and made sure their tick prevention is up to date, and now vacuuming.  

@KatyYes, Lyme is everywhere here and so are ticks.  These could definitely have been hitchhikers.  The very engorged one on the puppy may have come with her though, just because it takes a while to become quite so engorged.  Ick!  The ones on DD were pretty small, but definitely embedded.  

@Carrie12345 Great idea!  I’ll ask around.  Well, first we will try the pedi but I’m skeptical.  The Sat doc is very, very conservative with abx.  So I’ll be asking around after that, most likely!

Deep breaths here.

• Like 1

My advice, don't tell them about the dogs, say she just had embedded ticks, they look like deer ticks, and you have had a lyme diagnosis yourself from ticks in the same place. You want 4 weeks antibiotics prophylactically given how endemic the disease is in your area. Keep it simple like that and you are more likely to be taken seriously. Dumb, I know, but the more dramatic the info, or detailed, the more likely they think this is beyond their scope of practice and they refuse to do anything. And if you mention the dogs they may insist thy are dog ticks, etc etc. 

Something like Doc on Demand maybe? One of those call in places, might work. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

My advice, don't tell them about the dogs, say she just had embedded ticks, they look like deer ticks, and you have had a lyme diagnosis yourself from ticks in the same place. You want 4 weeks antibiotics prophylactically given how endemic the disease is in your area. Keep it simple like that and you are more likely to be taken seriously. Dumb, I know, but the more dramatic the info, or detailed, the more likely they think this is beyond their scope of practice and they refuse to do anything. And if you mention the dogs they may insist thy are dog ticks, etc etc. 

Something like Doc on Demand maybe? One of those call in places, might work. 

That’s a good idea, not to mention the puppies.  I do have the ticks, and can take them in but I don’t trust just anyone’s assessment of type.  I know what type they are, but will the doc?

Of course, DD may mention the puppies.  So that plan could be foiled.  

On a side note: DD has named her ticks Dreadful and You’re Dead to Me.  Made me laugh.

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, Spryte said:

I'm sorry you've had such an awful ordeal with ticks! Lyme is rampant in our area. One of my kids and another family member have had it. In both cases, it was caught and treated early and they recovered quickly. 

I just wanted to reassure you that we get tick bites all the time that do not lead to illness. Ticks are unavoidable for us because we live way out in the country and spend a lot of time outside. We are constantly pulling them off ourselves, the dogs, and the horses. We just keep an eye out for any symptoms. So far, in all the decades we've lived here, there have been only two tick bites that caused illness and many (hundreds, probably) that didn't cause any problem at all.  

• Like 2

OP,

Just putting it out there that Lyme post-exposure prophylaxis protocols are different than protocols for treatment of established infection (symptomatic Lyme).  I feel like they might be getting conflated in this thread.

Lyme prophylaxis protocols  (Rx within 72 hours of exposure in a Lyme endemic area) involve much shorter duration of antibiotics, usually a single dose of doxycycline.

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

how long after the puppies came did you find the ticks on her? How long do they have to be attached to transmit disease? Is it likely they were attached long enough?

2 and a half days.  

1 hour ago, wathe said:

OP,

Just putting it out there that Lyme post-exposure prophylaxis protocols are different than protocols for treatment of established infection (symptomatic Lyme).  I feel like they might be getting conflated in this thread.

Lyme prophylaxis protocols  (Rx within 72 hours of exposure in a Lyme endemic area) involve much shorter duration of antibiotics, usually a single dose of doxycycline.

Yes, that’s what the IDSA recommends. There’s another equally credentialed, peer reviewed group - ILADS - that recommends 28 days so it hits the entire life cycle of the spirochete, if they are present.  There are more details, but that’s it in a nutshell.  A “Lyme Literate Doctor” is considered one that follows the guidelines of ILADS in treatment and prophylaxis.  There are lots of differences, but way too much to go into here. 

• Like 1

So... No luck.  We saw a new doctor at the pedi’s office.  She insisted Lyme is rare, even though it’s endemic in our area.

She told DD that if she becomes “extremely” fatigued, like not just needing a nap but too tired to stand; has “extreme” headaches, not normal headaches (this to a girl who has never had a headache!); and if she gets a rash that stays for two weeks and is bigger than her palm they might treat her.  And she looked at me and said that there are a lot of viruses out there, so if DD runs a fever - don’t worry.  Only bring her in if it’s a high fever for two weeks!

I am flabbergasted.  We said, “ok, thanks,” and left.  I have not heard back from LLMD yet.

I’m so discouraged, I don’t even want to try a walk in clinic.  But we will, tomorrow.  

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, wathe said:

OP,

I'm sorry, but I have to completely disagree with you on this. The single dose of doxycycline is simply not good enough, nor is a 2 week course of doxy. 

Perhaps things are different where you live, but the only doctors I have ever known who went along with the protocols you mentioned are NOT experienced with Lyme disease. The doctors who see it all the time are sticking with the month-long course. 

I have a lot of experience with Lyme, as I have had it three times. The time when I saw a different doctor (because my regular doctor was on vacation,) and didn't get the longer term prescription, I ended up suffering for YEARS with chronic Lyme.

Quite frankly, there is no reason whatsoever for not going with the month of doxycycline. Antibiotic resistance is the reasoning I hear most often for going with the short term or single dose, but that is the least of a patient's concerns when faced with a potentially devastating disease. And even after having literally lived for years on very strong antibiotics, I have still not seen the slightest resistance to them when I have needed to take them for other things since then.

I'm sorry if I sound aggressive -- I don't mean to be rude! You are always so nice and I know you are trying to be helpful, but too many doctors take Lyme disease far too casually, and many people are suffering from long term consequences as a result.

Edited by Catwoman
Apology to wathe!!!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spryte said:

So... No luck.  We saw a new doctor at the pedi’s office.  She insisted Lyme is rare, even though it’s endemic in our area.

She told DD that if she becomes “extremely” fatigued, like not just needing a nap but too tired to stand; has “extreme” headaches, not normal headaches (this to a girl who has never had a headache!); and if she gets a rash that stays for two weeks and is bigger than her palm they might treat her.  And she looked at me and said that there are a lot of viruses out there, so if DD runs a fever - don’t worry.  Only bring her in if it’s a high fever for two weeks!

I am flabbergasted.  We said, “ok, thanks,” and left.  I have not heard back from LLMD yet.

I’m so discouraged, I don’t even want to try a walk in clinic.  But we will, tomorrow.  

I am so disgusted for you!!!!! A doctor like that is how I ended up with chronic Lyme and I was sick for years!

Does your health insurance company have a virtual doctor option? Our insurance company has this thing where you can go online and see a doctor -- usually within 30 minutes, and it's a 24/7 service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Yes, that’s what the IDSA recommends. There’s another equally credentialed, peer reviewed group - ILADS - that recommends 28 days so it hits the entire life cycle of the spirochete, if they are present.  There are more details, but that’s it in a nutshell.  A “Lyme Literate Doctor” is considered one that follows the guidelines of ILADS in treatment and prophylaxis.  There are lots of differences, but way too much to go into here. 

I should have waited to post -- you said it so much more nicely than I did!!!

• Like 1

Just now, Catwoman said:

I am so disgusted for you!!!!! A doctor like that is how I ended up with chronic Lyme and I was sick for years!

Does your health insurance company have a virtual doctor option? Our insurance company has this thing where you can go online and see a doctor -- usually within 30 minutes, and it's a 24/7 service.

Yes!  That’s what happened to me as well!  And when DS had meningitis followed by relapsing high fever, I kept asking and all the (many) docs said, “No, can’t be that.”  I finally called my LLMD and she ordered tests - sure enough, kid had babesiosis and bartonella.  Gaaaah. It shouldn’t have taken me 6 weeks to call her!

I’ll see what our insurance has for televisits.  Good idea!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes!  That’s what happened to me as well!  And when DS had meningitis followed by relapsing high fever, I kept asking and all the (many) docs said, “No, can’t be that.”  I finally called my LLMD and she ordered tests - sure enough, kid had babesiosis and bartonella.  Gaaaah. It shouldn’t have taken me 6 weeks to call her!

I’ll see what our insurance has for televisits.  Good idea!

If you see another doctor and you sense resistance, can you lie and say that your neighbor has Lyme or your dog has Lyme or whatever it takes to get that prescription? If it's a phone appointment, can you say there's a bullseye rash?

I hate to tell anyone to lie, but sometimes there is no other option if the doctors are being uninformed jerks.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I'm sorry, but I have to completely disagree with you on this. The single dose of doxycycline is simply not good enough, nor is a 2 week course of doxy. 

Perhaps things are different where you live, but the only doctors I have ever known who went along with the protocols you mentioned are NOT experienced with Lyme disease. The doctors who see it all the time are sticking with the month-long course. 

I have a lot of experience with Lyme, as I have had it three times. The time when I saw a different doctor (because my regular doctor was on vacation,) and didn't get the longer term prescription, I ended up suffering for YEARS with chronic Lyme.

Quite frankly, there is no reason whatsoever for not going with the month of doxycycline. Antibiotic resistance is the reasoning I hear most often for going with the short term or single dose, but that is the least of a patient's concerns when faced with a potentially devastating disease. And even after having literally lived for years on very strong antibiotics, I have still not seen the slightest resistance to them when I have needed to take them for other things since then.

I'm sorry if I sound aggressive -- I don't mean to be rude! You are always so nice and I know you are trying to be helpful, but too many doctors take Lyme disease far too casually, and many people are suffering from long term consequences as a result.

No worries.  I am not offended.  This is a JAWM, afterall.  (I did think that it was worth pointing out that there is a distinction between prophylaxis and treatment, and that each has a different standard protocol.)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

If you see another doctor and you sense resistance, can you lie and say that your neighbor has Lyme or your dog has Lyme or whatever it takes to get that prescription? If it's a phone appointment, can you say there's a bullseye rash?

I hate to tell anyone to lie, but sometimes there is no other option if the doctors are being uninformed jerks.

We have so much Lyme around here, it probably wouldn’t be a stretch.  Ugh.  I did tell her that DS had it recently, from our yard.  She just did not budge.  She’s obviously in the it’s “hard to catch and easy to treat” camp.  

I’m not pro-abx in most cases, but untreated and under-treated Lyme is not something I want for DD.  It can lead to some poor outcomes (as you know, unfortunately).

If all else fails, I will take DD to my LLMD and see what she says. I have an appt in a few weeks but maybe we can get in sooner.

I don’t want to panic, but neither do I want to ignore this and hope for the best.  

• Like 1

I feel like I need to add that I’m not just worried about Lyme.  There are some nasty co-infections that get passed along with it.  Treating Lyme hits some of those, but also ... one’s immune system is better able to fight off co-infections without Lyme.  I’m really more concerned about those co-infections than Lyme.

Anyone have recommendations for tick testing labs?  Igenex (used to be the best, no idea now) is $450 for a complete panel, and there are some others that look like they might be good, too, but I’m pretty far out of the Lyme loop these days. I really want bartonella and babesia tests, since those two have been so difficult to beat, in our family. I’m looking at MDL and a new-ish one in PA.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

OK, if you mean to say that doctors who prescribe as per CDC guidelines are uninformed jerks, then maybe I am a little offended.

(But just a little.  I'll cope!  And we can still be friends.  This clearly isn't the right thread for me, is all.  Carry on)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wathe said:

OK, if you mean to say that doctors who prescribe as per CDC guidelines are uninformed jerks, then maybe I am a little offended.

(But just a little.  I'll cope!  And we can still be friends.  This clearly isn't the right thread for me, is all.  Carry on)

Well, the doctor in question won't do even one dose prophylactically and says even if the child has a fever, if it isn't consistent for 14 days or longer, they still won't treat. Even if she is sleeping more often, they won't treat. If her rash isn't significan enough, won't treat. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, wathe said:

Oh no! That's not what I meant at all! I was talking about the doctor who refused to provide any medication at all until a patient gets symptoms!

Sorry if I wasn't clear!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Well, the doctor in question won't do even one dose prophylactically and says even if the child has a fever, if it isn't consistent for 14 days or longer, they still won't treat. Even if she is sleeping more often, they won't treat. If her rash isn't significan enough, won't treat. 

Right.  And it’s entirely possible to have Lyme and never have a rash.  Things like headaches and fatigue get chalked up to other issues all the time. Now I guess fevers are automatically assumed to be “virus” (her words) even with two known tick bites.  Tick bites + endemic area, but she’s calling it “rare.”  I don’t know what to say.  She’s not a doc I feel we can put our trust in.

You know what really bugs me is she initially said the tick had to be attached for 18 hours to transmit anything, but blew me off when I said it’s likely been 2-3 days because I have really do have a general idea of when they likely attached.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Right.  And it’s entirely possible to have Lyme and never have a rash.  Things like headaches and fatigue get chalked up to other issues all the time. Now I guess fevers are automatically assumed to be “virus” (her words) even with two known tick bites.  Tick bites + endemic area, but she’s calling it “rare.”  I don’t know what to say.  She’s not a doc I feel we can put our trust in.

You know what really bugs me is she initially said the tick had to be attached for 18 hours to transmit anything, but blew me off when I said it’s likely been 2-3 days because I have really do have a general idea of when they likely attached.

She sounds like an idiot.

I only got a rash once with Lyme, and that rash wasn't the traditional kind, so it makes me so angry when doctors insist that anything other than the classic bullseye means that there is nothing to worry about.

• Like 2

My dh got the ring and got 28 days of doxycycline from the Army clinic when he was active duty.  Another tick problem is what my son has gotten twice- the mammal meat delayed anaphalexis.   And I know one poster here got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and you don't have to be anywhere near the Rocky Mountains to get it. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

My dh got the ring and got 28 days of doxycycline from the Army clinic when he was active duty.  Another tick problem is what my son has gotten twice- the mammal meat delayed anaphalexis.   And I know one poster here got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and you don't have to be anywhere near the Rocky Mountains to get it. 

I’m glad your DH got treated and it resolved.  Is your son still anaphylactic to meat?  [shudder] Our allergist says she sees cases of that frequently here.

The meat allergy would just be a nightmare. We have lots of allergies here, one more might push me over the edge! Aaack!

RMSF seems to be everywhere we don’t expect it to be.  I hope that poster is all better.

I had (among others) Colorado Tick Fever - it’s a virus that usually resolves but went chronic for me.  First person in my Mid-Atlantic state to have it - and it was reported to the state health department.  That triggered a few phone calls with questions about it. I had some other strange ones, too, all transmitted by ticks.  All in all, I had 15 chronic infections going on by the time I got diagnosed.  Most from ticks, but a few probably I picked up and they went chronic due to Lyme’s dampening effect on the immune system.  It’s no wonder that I get a little panicky about kids and ticks. 🤣

DD is feeling fine, we are awaiting the LLMD’s reply (could be Monday) and I have a plan to take her to my appointment in ten days if all else fails.  So feeling like we have a plan now.  Improvement!

• Like 2

Lyme is epidemic here.  When I or kids get a tick, I send it to the lab to get tested for lyme or or tick-borne illnesses.  If it's positive for lyme we treat, and I generally talk my practitioner into 6 weeks of doxy.  My family has not had it, and we've used this protocol for years with many ticks.

Edited by Eos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Harpymom said:

Lyme is epidemic here.  When I or kids get a tick, I send it to the lab to get tested for lyme or or tick-borne illnesses.  If it's positive for lyme we treat, and I generally talk my practitioner into 6 weeks of doxy.  My family has not had it, and we've used this protocol for years with many ticks.

It was pricey when we used to send them to the UMass Amherst https://www.tickreport.com/ but worth it to us.

Cheap for Mainers at UMaine: https://extension.umaine.edu/ticks/submit/

How long does it take to get the results back? Our doctor always wanted us to start on the doxycycline immediately, so he didn’t recommend having the ticks tested. 

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

North Carolina is, or at least in the near past was, the top state for RMSF. It's the TBD I worry the most about. Sure Lyme can make you sick and miserable, but untreated RMSF can kill you. And fairly fast.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I’m glad your DH got treated and it resolved.  Is your son still anaphylactic to meat?  [shudder] Our allergist says she sees cases of that frequently here.

The meat allergy would just be a nightmare. We have lots of allergies here, one more might push me over the edge! Aaack!

RMSF seems to be everywhere we don’t expect it to be.  I hope that poster is all better.

I had (among others) Colorado Tick Fever - it’s a virus that usually resolves but went chronic for me.  First person in my Mid-Atlantic state to have it - and it was reported to the state health department.  That triggered a few phone calls with questions about it. I had some other strange ones, too, all transmitted by ticks.  All in all, I had 15 chronic infections going on by the time I got diagnosed.  Most from ticks, but a few probably I picked up and they went chronic due to Lyme’s dampening effect on the immune system.  It’s no wonder that I get a little panicky about kids and ticks. 🤣

DD is feeling fine, we are awaiting the LLMD’s reply (could be Monday) and I have a plan to take her to my appointment in ten days if all else fails.  So feeling like we have a plan now.  Improvement!

Yes, he is,  And he got it worse since he got bit again by another tick last year.  He gets tested every year by his allergist.

• Sad 3

59 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

How long does it take to get the results back?

UMass was usually about 3 days.  I don't like to take antibiotics if I don't have to, so I would rather have it tested.  Our tests have run about 50/50 positive.

Edited by Harpymom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Spryte said:

Advice from Lyme literate peeps welcome.  Or sympathy.  I’m trying not to panic, but probably have medical PTSD about this issue, so please JAWM or scroll past if you think this is no big deal.

Ticks.

Two ticks embedded on DD(10).  Removed.  Saved in baggie with moist cotton in case we need to test them.

We are fostering puppies, who arrived two days ago.  We pulled an engorged tick off one pup tonight.  They are only five weeks old.  I’m not sure what to do for the puppies beyond thorough tick checks tomorrow, and I’m washing/drying all bedding. Any tips on how to be sure there are no more ticks lurking?

And DD.  😢 We are in a Lyme endemic area.  Our family has truly suffered with tick borne diseases - we are way past Lyme here.  DS and I have both had long drawn out battles with babesiosis and bartonella in addition to Lyme.  I am not exaggerating when I say that we nearly lost DS at one point.  Really scary. And I will never be the same, tick diseases really left my body a mess.  Oh man, I just can’t even consider DD going through this. I want her treated preventatively.  How do I make that happen?

I will call the pedi on Monday, but she’s very conservative and I have no idea if she will prophylactically treat Lyme - I’d want 28 days at least.  And our LLMD has never seen DD, so can’t just call something in.  She’s two hours away and always booked.  Aaaagh. Any advice on how to make this happen?

What’s the latest re: prophylactic treatment in kids? I’m woefully out of date.

Trying really hard not to freak out.

(Oh, and I will need to do a tick check on my 80 yr old mom, too, since she’s also been cuddling the puppies.  Aaaagh!)

If you are in Lyme endemic area someone local should help at least get DD started on antibiotics now giving you time to get longer course from an LLMD.

And maybe your LLMD could work your Dd in for a short telemedicine visit 

I recommend getting Stephen Harald Buhner Lyme and related books.

I keep andrographis tincture that he recommended on hand for immediate skin treatment of any family human or canine who gets a tick.  

also we have tick spoons to try to avoid squeezing tick innards

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

North Carolina is, or at least in the near past was, the top state for RMSF. It's the TBD I worry the most about. Sure Lyme can make you sick and miserable, but untreated RMSF can kill you. And fairly fast.

That’s interesting.  My uncle had RMSF in the 50s, in NC.  It was bad.  He recovered, but developed multiple myeloma late in life, which was somehow linked to the RMSF.  I don’t have a link, it was info from a speaker at a TBD conference.  It would have been either Burrascano or Horowitz, but I can’t recall which one.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Pen said:

PS for dd I probably would try for an urgicare that might give treatment start this weekend, not wait for Monday 

Thanks, I think we will do Urgent Care tomorrow.  I do have the Buhner books someplace around here, too.  I might be able to get her in with telemedicine with the LLMD, if Urgent Care doesn’t Rx anything tomorrow.

• Like 2

Thanks, I think we will do Urgent Care tomorrow.  I do have the Buhner books someplace around here, too.  I might be able to get her in with telemedicine with the LLMD, if Urgent Care doesn’t Rx anything tomorrow.

Sent u a pm too

• Like 1