Menu

VP, TPS or BJU writing

Hi ladies!

I’m trying to outsource writing for my rising 5th grader next year. Grammar included is fine but not necessary. I have narrowed it down to the Veritas Press Scholars Academy grammar and writing 5 class, the potters school writing fundamentals 5 class or BJU English 5 or 6 distance learning videos. Can anyone speak to any of these? 
Thanks!

Edited by Nam2001

The BJUPressHomeschool website will have the scope/sequence for the BJU subjects, which will let you see what writing tasks are covered in each grade level. You'll also see from the samples that they alternate (or at least used to) grammar and writing, which might make the emphasis more distracted from the writing than what you're wanting. It's also a very traditional school sequence, rather than a year focus on applied writing. They apply writing across the curriculum, so writing gets applied in the science, history, etc. If you want mainly writing, you might want to look for a course that does that. 

Is VP using Shurley plus IEW? What is Potter's School using? If you don't need grammar, what about a Bravewriter course? 

I used Shurley, some BJU, etc. but I don't really have any experience with those courses. VP probably will push the workload higher just because that's their gig. 

34 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

The BJUPressHomeschool website will have the scope/sequence for the BJU subjects, which will let you see what writing tasks are covered in each grade level. You'll also see from the samples that they alternate (or at least used to) grammar and writing, which might make the emphasis more distracted from the writing than what you're wanting. It's also a very traditional school sequence, rather than a year focus on applied writing. They apply writing across the curriculum, so writing gets applied in the science, history, etc. If you want mainly writing, you might want to look for a course that does that. 

Is VP using Shurley plus IEW? What is Potter's School using? If you don't need grammar, what about a Bravewriter course? 

I used Shurley, some BJU, etc. but I don't really have any experience with those courses. VP probably will push the workload higher just because that's their gig. 

Thanks for your response. 
Yes, Veritas uses Shurley and IEW.  The Potter's School doesn't require you to purchase any resources for the class. The instructor provides what you need. 
As far as grammar, I really don't mind the classes covering it.  I am just fine teaching it myself if I find a great writing class that doesn't include the grammar component.
Bravewriter isn't for us but thanks for the suggestion.
This particular child is a really strong writer for her age so a more demanding class isn't a bad things I suppose..............

25 minutes ago, Nam2001 said:

This particular child is a really strong writer

What is it you and she are wanting out of the class? When my dd was in writing classes, she realized she enjoyed the peer review component. Just thinking you might want to nail what you're trying to accomplish. If she's already a strong writer, both IEW and BJU are kind of redundant. 

Is CAP doing any classes using their progym materials? Something using progym or else one of the G2 (is that it?) classes aimed at gifted kids might be much more interesting to her. 

https://cty.jhu.edu/online/courses/arts_humanities/  She might be a little young but she might qualify.

https://www.davidsongifted.org/gifted-blog/online-language-arts-program-comparison/  Haha, it was G3, not G2. It shows up in the chart of suggested options here.

And my apologies if I'm misreading what you're saying. I'm just taking you literally and suggesting there are more options if you want straight writing for a strong writer. I also wouldn't discount continuing to teach her yourself. In that case, you just need more interesting resources. It's a good time to be pursuing logic, the progymnasta, using materials like Don't Forget to Write, and keeping her exposure to quality language and literature up. Around that age my dd was beginning to read adult level materials in her areas of interest. Later I got her into reading magazines and essay collections, which she continued to do through high school. Your dd will write like what she's reading, so you can do a lot just by keeping her in excellent reading material. WTM suggests having them *outline* their reading material at this age, and it was good for us.

Edited by PeterPan

21 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

What is it you and she are wanting out of the class? When my dd was in writing classes, she realized she enjoyed the peer review component. Just thinking you might want to nail what you're trying to accomplish. If she's already a strong writer, both IEW and BJU are kind of redundant. 

Is CAP doing any classes using their progym materials? Something using progym or else one of the G2 (is that it?) classes aimed at gifted kids might be much more interesting to her. 

https://cty.jhu.edu/online/courses/arts_humanities/  She might be a little young but she might qualify.

https://www.davidsongifted.org/gifted-blog/online-language-arts-program-comparison/  Haha, it was G3, not G2. It shows up in the chart of suggested options here.

And my apologies if I'm misreading what you're saying. I'm just taking you literally and suggesting there are more options if you want straight writing for a strong writer. I also wouldn't discount continuing to teach her yourself. In that case, you just need more interesting resources. It's a good time to be pursuing logic, the progymnasta, using materials like Don't Forget to Write, and keeping her exposure to quality language and literature up. Around that age my dd was beginning to read adult level materials in her areas of interest. Later I got her into reading magazines and essay collections, which she continued to do through high school. Your dd will write like what she's reading, so you can do a lot just by keeping her in excellent reading material. WTM suggests having them *outline* their reading material at this age, and it was good for us.

Thanks for those suggestions. I will look into all of it. 
The main reason for outsourcing writing next year is because I’m trying to have a really concentrated humanities year with my oldest and I needed to get something off of my plate for my youngest. But since she’s really motivated with writing, I wanted to give her something challenging and fun. And she does love the peer interaction. Honestly, she hasn’t done much formal writing. She’s working on the 3rd Writing and Rhetoric book and she’s done WWE and narrations. Schole Academy has tons of sections of W&R and long waiting lists. I tried to get her in a section that fit our schedule and she’s 19th on the list. So…..I’ve been looking elsewhere. She is taking Latin at Schole and they are my favorite online provider but apparently those writing classes are quite popular! 

• Like 1