Menu

anyone have this vaccine reaction (moderna)

hjffkj

I got the first moderna shot 12 days ago and my shoulder, neck, and jaw on the side I got the shot has been messed up ever since.  I figured it was normal and expected it to hurt for a few days but 12 days out and it has not gotten better.  I have lost a huge amount of range of motion in my arm.  I've been heating, icing, and take pain meds regularly for it and nothing.  Today on day 12 it feels worse than the last 10 days.  The injection site itself was a huge welt for a good week and hurt quite a bit but that is down now and only painful to the touch. 

Has anyone else had a reaction like this?  I'm really hesitant to get the second shot if this pain is still there when the time come later this month. 

• Sad 8

Nope, didn't have it.  We didn't have anything other than a little bit of a sore arm for me.

Is that Covid arm?  The welt sounds like it, but the shoulder, neck, and jaw I don't think I have heard.  And the loss of range of motion worries me.  Have you talked to a doctor?

I am sorry you are dealing with that. 

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Nope, didn't have it.  We didn't have anything other than a little bit of a sore arm for me.

Is that Covid arm?  The welt sounds like it, but the shoulder, neck, and jaw I don't think I have heard.  And the loss of range of motion worries me.  Have you talked to a doctor?

I am sorry you are dealing with that. 

I believe the welt is covid arm but I haven't researched enough to know if the other pain is part of that or a different side effect.  I haven't talked to a doctor because up until this point it had been either the same as day 1 or better.  Today after doing nothing extra it is a lot worse.  I have made a call to my dr but am waiting for a call back

• Sad 3

10 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I know someone who is experiencing nerve damage after her first shot.  Her doctor doesn't know if it will resolve on its own or if it is permanent.  

Just curious, is that from the vaccine as in the chemical components that were injected or from the needle and the way it was administered? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HeartString said:

Just curious, is that from the vaccine as in the chemical components that were injected or from the needle and the way it was administered? 

Her doctor said it was caused by her immune system being overreactive, so it must be from the actual vaccine and not the needle.  However, he also said that he thinks she would have had the same response if she had actually had covid.  She had Pfizer if it matters.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Her doctor said it was caused by her immune system being overreactive, so it must be from the actual vaccine and not the needle.  However, he also said that he thinks she would have had the same response if she had actually had covid.  She had Pfizer if it matters.

I had no idea that could happen! 

I’m glad I got vaccinated before I heard all of this stuff!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I am on a FB page where people are experiencing tinnitus, dizziness, and deafness (usually on one side).  The doctors are saying the same thing....and overreactive immune response.

• Sad 4

I still have pain in my arm four weeks out from my second dose of Pfizer. It is not affecting my mobility as much as it was, but I still wince when pulling on a jacket, for instance. Mine got worse before it got better. It's slowly improving but definitely still bothersome.

I did have COVID arm on the same arm--an itchy rash. That went away long before the soreness.

Do you have TMJ? I think it can be worsened by an immune response.

I'm thinking in my case it's either an immune response or a muscle or nerve injury. I almost called my doctor yesterday. Probably will call next week if it's not better.

I'm so sorry. I know it is scary and it hurts. image.png.5ea1cf3f6b82688b06029efb333c57b8.png

ETA: I had my first shot in my other arm and did not have the same reaction.

Edited by MercyA
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Laurie said:

I would do a search for "SIRVA"  

This is an article I've read about SIRVA, but not related to the Moderna/covid shots.   The injury happens when a shot isn't done properly. https://www.pharmacytoday.org/article/S1042-0991(17)31503-7/pdf

I hope you can see your doctor soon.

Agreed, that is my first thought. Happens with flu vaccines and such. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MercyA said:

I still have pain in my arm four weeks out from my second dose of Pfizer. It is not affecting my mobility as much as it was, but I still wince when pulling on a jacket, for instance. Mine got worse before it got better. It's slowly improving but definitely still bothersome.

I did have COVID arm on the same arm--an itchy rash. That went away long before the soreness.

Do you have TMJ? I think it can be worsened by an immune response.

I'm thinking in my case it's either an immune response or a muscle or nerve injury. I almost called my doctor yesterday. Probably will call next week if it's not better.

I'm so sorry. I know it is scary and it hurts. image.png.5ea1cf3f6b82688b06029efb333c57b8.png

ETA: I had my first shot in my other arm and did not have the same reaction.

Sorry to hear you are having issues. 

I do not have TMJ.

My body has been known to have huge immune responses to things so maybe it is that.  I never heard from my doc so I'll likely just go to the walk in that his practice is associate with in the morning if it hasn't gotten better.  

• Like 4

Thank you all!  My body does have a tendency to have huge immune responses to certain things so my hope it is that and will go away eventually.  I will certainly be discussing it with my dr soon.  I will also inquire about SIRVA

• Like 3

After my first Moderna shot, my back and shoulder on the side the shot was given clenched like I had a terrible pulled muscle.  It was really painful,  enough that I couldn't move much at all. Like when you sleep on your neck wrong and wake up in pain. I thought it was because I had tensed before I got the shot, but it was pretty dramatic.  It only lasted about an hour. 

Edited by KeriJ
  • Sad 1

My jaw has been sore post second shot. It's hard for me to distinguish what's really happening there though. For the last few years, I've held a lot of my stress in my jaw and it can get sore when I have a migraine. And... I had an ongoing migraine (two doses of my migraine meds in a week... bah) for the days before my second shot. So... the fact that my jaw has been sore didn't strike me as related.

On 5/7/2021 at 8:16 PM, MercyA said:

Please let me know how it goes. I'll do the same if I see my doctor next week! 

Saw the Dr. He told me not to get the 2nd shot because of how badly I reacted to the first. He's putting me on a steroid and I have to do physical therapy to avoid frozen shoulder. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 9

On 5/7/2021 at 3:50 PM, hjffkj said:

I got the first moderna shot 12 days ago and my shoulder, neck, and jaw on the side I got the shot has been messed up ever since.  I figured it was normal and expected it to hurt for a few days but 12 days out and it has not gotten better.  I have lost a huge amount of range of motion in my arm.  I've been heating, icing, and take pain meds regularly for it and nothing.  Today on day 12 it feels worse than the last 10 days.  The injection site itself was a huge welt for a good week and hurt quite a bit but that is down now and only painful to the touch. 

Has anyone else had a reaction like this?  I'm really hesitant to get the second shot if this pain is still there when the time come later this month. 

I had vaccine arm. I really react, always do...sometimes have pain for three weeks and significantly decreased range of motion for up to three weeks just from tetanus boosters. I had Moderna and got a terrible self, radiating pain, couldn't use my arm, and had fire like sensations in that arm for about 22 days, and then it wad done. I am fighting through that this time again, second shot was 18 days ago. I am almost back to normal. I did not relish going back for the 2nd shot, but gritted my teeth and did it. Our young adult sons all get vaccinated this week, and then everyone in our extended family whom we would like to spend time have been vaccinated except our two little grandsons. But all of their grown up relatives being vaxed protects them, and allows us to camp together and have other excursions without worry. So I am glad I did it. Plus my mother in law was just diagnosed with another serious condition. At this point, only vaccinated individuals will be allowed in her home or our home in order to protect her as we suspect her immunity from her JnJ may be a bit low due to her health issues.

I am sorry you have this. I can totally sympathize.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Saw the Dr. He told me not to get the 2nd shot because of how badly I reacted to the first. He's putting me on a steroid and I have to do physical therapy to avoid frozen shoulder. 

Wow! Well, I am glad you went in for medical advice. That is important! I hope you won't react so hard in the future to other vaccines. My arm is a terror over tetanus so I absolutely hate and despise those boosters. Ugh. I hope you get better very soon!

13 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Wow! Well, I am glad you went in for medical advice. That is important! I hope you won't react so hard in the future to other vaccines. My arm is a terror over tetanus so I absolutely hate and despise those boosters. Ugh. I hope you get better very soon!

I have only ever reacted poorly to the flu vaccine the one year I got it. So, I knew reacting poorly was bad but this is beyond what I thought. I have a high pain tolerance and I'd say my pain today just with my arm at rest is a 5 or 6. If I move it then it goes to a 8 or 9. I'm in so much pain I feel like I'm going to throw up. 

• Sad 14

9 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I have only ever reacted poorly to the flu vaccine the one year I got it. So, I knew reacting poorly was bad but this is beyond what I thought. I have a high pain tolerance and I'd say my pain today just with my arm at rest is a 5 or 6. If I move it then it goes to a 8 or 9. I'm in so much pain I feel like I'm going to throw up. 

I am so sorry this happened to you! Please take care of yourself and follow orders, rest when not doing PT.

On 5/7/2021 at 1:50 PM, hjffkj said:

I had extreme pain up to my shoulder, and loss of motion, for about a week, but not up to my neck and jaw.  Also a large, hard, swollen lump in my arm that was very painful.  I was pretty worried about the second shot, but it was no big deal.  More like people have been describing, just a little sore and feeling achy and tired for a couple of days.

1 hour ago, Condessa said:

I had extreme pain up to my shoulder, and loss of motion, for about a week, but not up to my neck and jaw.  Also a large, hard, swollen lump in my arm that was very painful.  I was pretty worried about the second shot, but it was no big deal.  More like people have been describing, just a little sore and feeling achy and tired for a couple of days.

glad the second one didn't cause you issues.  I was waffling about getting the second one but once the dr told me not to and that I was actually the first person he's told not to get it because of their reaction it eased my mind about not getting it.  He said that in a few months once my shoulder is back to normal I could consider trying a different one.  But for now, the safest route is not doing the second.

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

glad the second one didn't cause you issues.  I was waffling about getting the second one but once the dr told me not to and that I was actually the first person he's told not to get it because of their reaction it eased my mind about not getting it.  He said that in a few months once my shoulder is back to normal I could consider trying a different one.  But for now, the safest route is not doing the second.

I'm so sorry about your reaction and pain.  That is terrible.  The woman I know with nerve damage from her vaccine was also advised by her doctor not to get the second dose and she is relieved.  I hope you get some relief soon.

• Like 2

Oh man, I am sorry you are in so much pain.  I haven't ever heard of someone reacting like this.  Wow.  It is just your immune system doing this?  Not that the shot was put in a wrong spot or something? 

I really hope you don't get frozen shoulder.  I have had a few older friends get it and it was a looooong recovery.   Sending some good well wishes.

• Like 1

That sounds terrible 😕 . Your doctor was definitely right about the 2nd shot, in my (highly non-medical) opinion. 

I hope you feel better soon. That sounds awfully unpleasant 😞 . 

I have to say, I hope they mess around with the dosing of these mRNA shots to make them less unpleasant and have fewer side effects, because this seems unsustainable. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh man, I am sorry you are in so much pain.  I haven't ever heard of someone reacting like this.  Wow.  It is just your immune system doing this?  Not that the shot was put in a wrong spot or something? 

I really hope you don't get frozen shoulder.  I have had a few older friends get it and it was a looooong recovery.   Sending some good well wishes.

It is immune system. Dr says the way the injection site looks and how that has been healing shows signs of an immune response not that the shot was administered wrong.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, hjffkj said:

It is immune system. Dr says the way the injection site looks and how that has been healing shows signs of an immune response not that the shot was administered wrong.

I guess it makes sense that such an effective vaccine provokes strong unintentional vaccine reactions. Urgh 😕 . 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I guess it makes sense that such an effective vaccine provokes strong unintentional vaccine reactions. Urgh 😕 . 

well I knew it was a possibility.  I have had strong immune responses to other things. so, it was a risk I was willing to take but this reaction was more than I had expected and now it isn't worth it to risk the second one sadly.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

well I knew it was a possibility.  I have had strong immune responses to other things. so, it was a risk I was willing to take but this reaction was more than I had expected and now it isn't worth it to risk the second one sadly.

Oh, obviously 😞 . I wouldn't risk if I were you, either!!! 

• Like 2

Just want to sympathize over the shoulder pain. I had frozen shoulder a few years ago--both of them froze actually, though not at the same time (thankfully). The pain was intense! I tried explaining it to people and they just didn't get it. No, it's not a pinched nerve. No, it's not a pulled muscle. Kind of like trying to describe a debilitating migraine to someone who gets tension headaches. Anyway, DM if you want to vent or cry or swear a little.

I'm glad you got medical attention and I'm glad you can avoid the second shot without guilt.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

Don't be too sad. There is significant protection from one shot, and you need to balance all your health needs. As far as I am concerned, you took one big hit for the team, and we thank you very much! 

What I went through was bad, but not near as bad as you, and so am apprehensive about future boosters. I will do it, but the anxiety is going to be there. So I just think  move forward, get better, and don't be upset that you are one of the folks for whom more is contraindicated.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Don't be too sad. There is significant protection from one shot, and you need to balance all your health needs. As far as I am concerned, you took one big hit for the team, and we thank you very much! 

What I went through was bad, but not near as bad as you, and so am apprehensive about future boosters. I will do it, but the anxiety is going to be there. So I just think  move forward, get better, and don't be upset that you are one of the folks for whom more is contraindicated.

thank you for saying this.  I know this in my heart but this damn pandemic has created some major strains in some close family relationships because of anxiety those people have and I was hoping for healing as people started getting vaccinated. So, I've been stressed today realizing they'll likely continue to distance physically and emotionally from us out of their own fear and I can't help ease it as much as I wanted. 

I appreciate your words

• Sad 4

20 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

thank you for saying this.  I know this in my heart but this damn pandemic has created some major strains in some close family relationships because of anxiety those people have and I was hoping for healing as people started getting vaccinated. So, I've been stressed today realizing they'll likely continue to distance physically and emotionally from us out of their own fear and I can't help ease it as much as I wanted. 

I appreciate your words

I think that at the point that you have one shot and they have been vaccinated themselves, that makes no sense and is just pure fear. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I appreciate your words

I'm about the biggest proponent of Covid safety there is, and I'd hang out with you! 1 vaccine is pretty darned protective, and if you had that big of a reaction we can assume you had a strong immune response to it and good antibodies! And then if I'm vaccinated with both doses...between us the chance of any transmission is TINY. 

When you talk with them, I'd play up how disappointed you are that you can't get the second dose, but your doctor feels you are very protected with what you did get, based on your immune response. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

When you talk with them, I'd play up how disappointed you are that you can't get the second dose, but your doctor feels you are very protected with what you did get, based on your immune response. 

I updated my entire family on our facebook group with everything that is happening and what the doc said.  I know my sil, who is the main one with the fear has seen my update.  I hope we can talk about it in detail just the two/three if we include my brother of us but because of their poor communication throughout all of this and how it has negatively impacted my children I had to set the boundary that they need to be the one's to reach out to us as their comfort levels change.

It is all so sad because we had always been very close.

1 minute ago, hjffkj said:

I updated my entire family on our facebook group with everything that is happening and what the doc said.  I know my sil, who is the main one with the fear has seen my update.  I hope we can talk about it in detail just the two/three if we include my brother of us but because of their poor communication throughout all of this and how it has negatively impacted my children I had to set the boundary that they need to be the one's to reach out to us as their comfort levels change.

It is all so sad because we had always been very close.

That is hard, I'm sorry. My sister and I have different comfort levels, but thankfully it has not impacted our relationship. 

37 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

That is hard, I'm sorry. My sister and I have different comfort levels, but thankfully it has not impacted our relationship. 

yeah,  most of my friends and family have different comfort levels and the relationships have not been impacted.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this! Just echoing others to say you no doubt have some very good protection from the one shot and I hope you feel much better soon.

My arm is continuing to improve. Still sore, but at nowhere near the level of yours. I have several immune-related conditions, including thyroid problems, endometriosis, and heat urticaria, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at my body's reaction.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, MercyA said:

I am so sorry you are dealing with this! Just echoing others to say you no doubt have some very good protection from the one shot and I hope you feel much better soon.

My arm is continuing to improve. Still sore, but at nowhere near the level of yours. I have several immune-related conditions, including thyroid problems, endometriosis, and heat urticaria, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at my body's reaction.

I'm glad to hear your arm is improving and I will pray it continues too.  

• Like 1

@hjffkj, thank you for your prayers!

I finally convinced my husband to work on my arm. He's a genius at working out tense muscles and getting things back in alignment, but was reluctant to manipulate it earlier. I'm not gonna lie, it felt *weird*. Not like a regular sore muscle. And in one place (I assume the injection site) the pain was pretty high level. But after the first massage, it was much better, and after the second massage, I'd say it's now 95% normal. So, I'm guessing mine was just muscle tenseness from inflammation. 

I am very much hoping my DD won't have the same reaction. 

Hope you are feeling better! Let us know. 

• Like 2

I thought this was a good SIRVA article.

I think we will see a relative increase in SIRVA with covid mass vax programs.  Lots and lots of HCW workers pressed into working mass vax clinics, not all of whom have great training, I don't think, or may have training that's very out of date.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2021 at 6:53 AM, hjffkj said:

So sorry this happened to you. Glad you saw a doctor!

On 5/12/2021 at 5:53 PM, MercyA said:

@hjffkj, thank you for your prayers!

I finally convinced my husband to work on my arm. He's a genius at working out tense muscles and getting things back in alignment, but was reluctant to manipulate it earlier. I'm not gonna lie, it felt *weird*. Not like a regular sore muscle. And in one place (I assume the injection site) the pain was pretty high level. But after the first massage, it was much better, and after the second massage, I'd say it's now 95% normal. So, I'm guessing mine was just muscle tenseness from inflammation. 

I am very much hoping my DD won't have the same reaction. 

Hope you are feeling better! Let us know. 

I'm glad you are getting better!