Menu

What do you want for Mother's Day this year?

mommyoffive

I set up my visit with 2dd to coincide with mother's day (and my birthday).  Something we'd planned to do last year - but  . . . covid . . .

this year I get more time with the baby.  (I went after he was born last year.)

I also told dh I wanted to come home to a clean house.  There's so much I simply don't have energy to do.   I've been dealing with health issues for which I am currently being treated, fingers crossed they are hopefully getting closer to being under control/resolved. I did have a break in treatment jan/feb and I was more energetic and had fun getting rid of stuff.  But - back in treatment and I'm wiped out.   only during this run down to houston did 2dd get an idea of just how much my ability to do anything has been compromised.  But we made great time home.  And got to see her bestie.(since they were 12.) for ten minutes.  I'm so glad I thought to take a picture.  and drop off her wedding presents.  

• Like 3

If I had to choose something just for me, it’d be a new pair of Birks.  But I’m happy with whatever.  Time to hang out is good.

I’m hoping for a nice day to plant a few things.

I have had a vicious case of puppy fever, and we just started fostering two little 5 week old pups, so kind of feeling like that covers it!  

• Like 3

Time with my kids.  This will likely be the last Mother's day we are all at home for it, at least for a few years.  I am planning fun meals, movie marathon, etc.

I have also always wanted a mother's ring, but I don't really want them to have to spend the money to buy it.

• Like 1

Well, since it was just my birthday and my only gifts were forks and dishcloths from dh, I probably shouldn’t have high hopes for Mother’s Day. That’s one way to tell the story.

Or I could tell the real story which is that I had already bought myself birthday books when they were on sale in March, we needed forks and dishcloths and the gifts made me laugh, and I don’t care about Mother’s Day and don’t want another day where my family feels pressured into acting a certain way.  Mother’s Day is March 21st here so there’s no cultural pressure this weekend, and no tacit religious pressure since we go to church on Fridays. This Friday is basically open-mic Friday anyway, so there’s no risk of a Mother’s Day sermon/talk either.

• Like 3

Hopefully someone wants a makeup mirror with a built-in rechargeable ring light.

I heard my wife muttering the other morning that she couldn't see while she was doing her makeup and getting her new eyeglasses probably wouldn't help when doing eye makeup, right?

Although getting her a monocle she could move back and forth between her eyes is an option I didn't consider. Hmm.

Gift giving, not my "love language."

Bill (counting on the lighted mirror to save me)

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 5
  • Haha 7

Usually my husband and sons get me a fuchsia plant or two that I kill sometime before the end of July.  I'm a fuchsia serial killer. 

What I want is to go stay at this new hotel in a historic building at a park that is opening up nearby but we are pushing all extra cash to my brother's legal fees (knock down, drag out custody dispute from hell with his abusive ex-husband) so I will be a little peeved if he spends that much money.  I might ask for the hotel stay for my birthday in July.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I asked for them to do all the laundry, among other things, and came home yesterday, and they had! I was blown away. 

They say that's not my actual gift. 

Other ideas I threw at them:
...each kid pick a photo of them & me together (surely surely surely we have pics of me with my kids, right???) and print/frame it
...shelving above the window in my sewing room, to display my Cherrywood fabrics (but then my 20 yr old said "so, a cat shelf...?" so not that)
...these super cool pens I saw on display at W-M; they come 5 to a pack, ultra fine, different colors, and each pack is a different color combo :swoon:
...a coupon book with "mom gets to pick the movie" (at least 12 of those, pretty please....??), along with "mom gets to skip this movie" and "mom never ever ever has to watch Infinity Wars ever again ever no matter what" (which I told them they should just print, frame, and hang on the wall), and maybe also "date night with oldest son" "middle son" "youngest son" coupons too
....for each of them to make/draw/paint/whatever me something using their individual gifts/talents
....an immersion blender, but every time I ask for this, DH says "we would use one of those? You really want *that*??" so I pretty much will need to just break down and buy this myself sometime :sigh: 

To be clear: I'm not asking for *all* of those things, but they like options, so I tossed out all the things I could think of, and they will likely pick one and that will be good. 

• Like 3

Bottomless Bloody Mary, just for a few hours.

Not * peel me off the barstool* level, but *I love everything and everyone* level.

but considering that my potential gift givers think that just *looking* at a Bloody Mary is repulsive, I’ll take one. One Bloody Mary, and I’ll suck that sucker down quickly so as not to repulse any one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Dh was just harassing me yesterday about this. After 20+ yrs you'd think he'd have this figured out. I like acts of service, no big gifts. I want someone else to cook the meals and make sure the house is tidy. Maybe go to a park for a family bike ride. Usually he buys me some chocolate but I think this year I want some gf cheesecake instead. I have some upcoming projects I want done but that will wait until after he finishes his current semester. I desperately want the utility room cleaned out and him to sell a couple of things we have around the house- it is his stuff so I can't do it and it is driving me crazy. I'm leveraging my bday in June and Mother's day to get it done.

• Like 3

To go to a botanical garden with one of my sons and dh. (Other son lives far away...but will call). My ds and I both love to look at beautiful plants. I love doing this with him. Dh doesn’t care about the plants, but he likes to walk and hike. The weather will be perfect.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

To go to a botanical garden with one of my sons and dh. (Other son lives far away...but will call). My ds and I both love to look at beautiful plants. I love doing this with him. Dh doesn’t care about the plants, but he likes to walk and hike. The weather will be perfect.

ooh, this would be a fun outing! filing that away for an option.

13 hours ago, Selkie said:

Donations to two of my favorite animal rescues. One is an equine rescue and the other transports shelter animals from overcrowded southern shelters.

Not to be a downer, but what I really want this year is to avoid Mother's Day altogether. Family tensions are hitting me hard these days. However, if anyone really insisted on gifting me something, I am always happy to hear they have donated to one of my preferred non-profits.

Also, given that we are scheduled to move into a new house on Wednesday and I have reached maximum frustration level on two projects I thought I could handle on my own, if a certain son wanted to volunteer his labor and take care of them, I would not complain.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 6

Peace.

Another vote for having my car cleaned out - this includes scrubbing the seats until they look clean.  (I can dream.)

I am debating in my head whether to go to church or not.  (Haven't gone since March 2020.)

I will be required against my will to have cake and a restaurant meal.

Maybe I will binge watch DVDs series that have been neglected.

1 minute ago, hjffkj said:

@mommyoffive what do you want?

I know the kids and dh are planning things, but I have no idea what they are thinking.

I want some new fancy face creams 

Some new socks

some vacations (but I am already planning those)

A day by myself in the house.  Fingers crossed.  I just want to lay in bed and not be the mom for the day.  

Dh and the kids will make a meal, but they do that everyday.

A totally clean house.  That can usually only happen for a few hours.

A new home.   We are thinking if we are going to do that or not. 

• Like 3

I want a swing to put on the back deck.  It doesn’t have to be fancy or expensive, just the basic ones you can get a places like Lowe’s.

Although since last year no one even acknowledged that it was Mother’s Day until I got really upset, any acknowledgment would be good.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I'm going to hang my head in juvenile shame when I say I want a small Animal Crossing backpack. The one covered in the cat villagers from Target. My son's girlfriend was with me when I saw it so I may get it. 🤞 This might be a sign I'm addicted to Animal Crossing.

No shame!  I hope you get it and enjoy using it!  ❤️

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I'm going to hang my head in juvenile shame when I say I want a small Animal Crossing backpack. The one covered in the cat villagers from Target. My son's girlfriend was with me when I saw it so I may get it. 🤞 This might be a sign I'm addicted to Animal Crossing.

No shame at all. I recently splurged about bought myself this Loungefly wallet

• Like 2

I ordered myself an inexpensive mother's ring from amazon to see if I want the real thing in the future.  

(My kids and husband are clueless ADHD people. I realized years ago that if I wanted things a certain way that I just needed to do it myself. )

I think I'll be ordering take out as well. 

I am just so relieved that I no longer have to spend the day making it nice for everyone else--lunch and gifts for my mother and aunts, organizing the church mother's day gift because someone asked me to, etc. We have lived cross-country for the last several years, and we quit our church.  

• Like 2

I have my studio recital Saturday. Mostly what I want to do Sunday is sleep, before I then dive into graduation party stuff even more completely. 

There is a retro arcade that opened last year that I'd kind of like to visit now that everyone in the house is fully vaccinated. 

My birthday and Mother's Day are a week or so apart. I love joint event gifts.  I told everyone that what I really want is a duck pond. There will always be a higher financial priority in our lives other than a duck pond, so starting now I'm delighted with gifts, but my preference, if anyone wants ideas, is a duck pond fund contribution instead of gifts for the next several years at all gift giving occasions.

In my family culture people always ask if someone prefers a surprise gift selected by the giver or if the recipient is saving up for a pricier item that givers can contribute to instead of a gift.  Many a car, electronic device, trip, pet, and special activity that would otherwise be unaffordable for the recipient has been funded as a gift from several family members.  

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I am just so relieved that I no longer have to spend the day making it nice for everyone else--lunch and gifts for my mother and aunts, organizing the church mother's day gift because someone asked me to, etc. We have lived cross-country for the last several years, and we quit our church.  

Yep. We moved 3 years ago and it's been good. 

On my last grocery shopping trip I bought Mother's Day cards for my mom and MIL, wrote a note in mine, signed it, put stamps and return address stamps on both envelopes, put mine in the mailbox, handed one to my husband with a pen, and told him to sign it and get in the mailbox before he went to bed.  We'll each call them on Mother's Day for our usual half hour chat and be done.

I no longer have to host a large joint event for 20+ or coordinate several separate events with my 3 other siblings and their families for my mother and attend another for my MIL.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ
  • Like 1