Menu

Sewing woes

Satin is awful to sew, 

But chiffon is even worse. It rolls at the seams. I think it needs a level of expertise that I haven't achieved. 

3 weeks to my Dd wedding. We are three quarters through making her dress. Just at the stage where things start to go wrong. 

Somehow the bodice is a bit too big, we have modified it, we think.... 

• Like 3

My Dd figured out the bodice. It fits like a glove. 

Dd said it doesn't matter about the back seam now being slightly off centre as she will be covered by hair and veil. 

Still not sure what to do about the skirt side seams of chiffon that are sort of rollled. Dd tells me that she is going to have scattered lace flowers and can place them strategically. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, livetoread said:

Your daughter sounds so mature and practical and wonderful. I'm sure her day will be amazing.

I was going to say almost exactly this. What a wonderful memory you have created together. I made my own wedding cake and, nearly 25 years later, am still hugely grateful to my now-sister-in-law who stepped in to finish the icing and transporting it to the venue.

• Thanks 1

This helps put into perspective the minor difficulties I've had guiding my dd and her friend through the process of making themselves shorts. 😂

Creating a wedding dress sounds do amazing! Plus, it sounds like you two work together so well.

Edited by SusanC
even the little words need to be correctly spelled
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I make prom dresses I nix anything with chiffon. It is a nightmare! There is a water soluble stabilizer that is helpful though, but I’m sure it’s too late for you now.

I don’t mind satin, oddly. Though it’s slippery it’s heavy enough I don’t have trouble with it.

Both difficult fabrics. When I made my sister's wedding dress, the gauzy, filmy overdress unraveled so badly at the edges that I ended up making that layer too small. I had to cut the pieces with a roller and sew the same day and do a whole new overdress. Nightmare! I feel your pain--fancy dresses are soooo fussy!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

This helps put into perspective the minor difficulties I've had guiding my dd and get friend through the process of making themselves shorts. 😂

Creating a wedding dress sounds do amazing! Plus, it sounds like you two work together so well.

My daughter and I are going to be learning how to sew this summer in order to make shorts!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

My daughter and I are going to be learning how to sew this summer in order to make shorts!

I can't see your siggie, but if she is in kids' sizes I recommend the free Sunny Day shorts from Oliver and S. If neither of you have sewn before it is great as is. If you have a smidge of experience you could add side pockets. 

In any case, have fun!

Edited by SusanC
i appreciate all of you who are able to read my posts despite the multitude of typos 👏
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, SusanC said:

I can't see your siggie, but if she is in kids' sizes I recommend the free Sunny Day shorts from Oliver and S. If neither of you have sewn before it is great as is. If you have a smidge of experience you could add side pockets. 

In any case, have fun!

She's size 8-10. So I'll take a look at that.

(And we have someone with experience helping us. So I figure we'll make the first without and then add pockets after because pockets are kind of necessary)

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

She's size 8-10. So I'll take a look at that.

(And we have someone with experience helping us. So I figure we'll make the first without and then add pockets after because pockets are kind of necessary)

Today shorts, tomorrow a satin chiffon wedding dress!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

Have fun

my dd learned to sew as an infant, sitting on my knee while I sewed. All my bio boys sew as well. Though ds25 mostly sews fox skin hats nowdays

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 2