Menu

orlando in july. bad idea?

kristin0713

On 5/4/2021 at 2:09 PM, Dreamergal said:

So ?

What if fall has more cases. What if ? what if ? What if ?

When have we ever in our lifetime not be able to travel anywhere we wanted, when we wanted and could not because of factors beyond our control ? 

I would take a hot, humid vacation which means change of location, chance to travel, not live in house arrest like we all have even if it means cooking meals. 

A chance for a beach. pool ? Sign me up.

Previously you would have to threaten me to go camping, I would not go willingly. Now I would go, not even look for glamping. 

Sometimes a vacation is not the place we go to, but a change of place and pace. More than a physical vacation, what maybe necessary is a mental vacation which we all need.

I'm all for travelling with some reasonable precautions and common sense but it sounds like the OP has a choice of places she can go.  Sauna with a soggy mask on isn't a choice many people would make. 

Our summer plans are mountains (camping at Mt. St. Helens for a week) and sitting on the ocean beach as many weekends as I can manage.  It sounds like her kids really enjoy theme parks so picking a smaller park in a more moderate climate seems like a good option.  We have traditionally gone to Silverwood in N. Idaho in either June or July.  It's hot but not Orlando hot and it's not humid.  On exceptionally hot days, we'd just stick to the water park until the evening time and then head over to the rides.  I wouldn't fly to Idaho for it though, it's definitely more of a regional attraction.  A midwest option sounds great.  We aren't going this year because of Covid.  

I'm sure there is an amount of money that would induce me to go to Orlando in July again but for the life of me, though it's been 15 years since I last did it, the memory of that heat makes it impossible for me to settle on what amount that might be.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 2

Thank you, everyone!  Orlando is off the table.  DH is trying to see if we can make it work to go to Nashville in June.  If that is not an option, we will look for someplace cooler for July.  He balked when we priced out Cedar Point.  I think it was $3500 for a family cabin for a week with three days of rides, plus food on top of that.  It's hard to spend when we can do Orlando for a fraction of that.  I don't really care where we go.  I just want to go away for a week someplace where everyone will be happy and not tell me they are bored.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

Thank you, everyone!  Orlando is off the table.  DH is trying to see if we can make it work to go to Nashville in June.  If that is not an option, we will look for someplace cooler for July.  He balked when we priced out Cedar Point.  I think it was $3500 for a family cabin for a week with three days of rides, plus food on top of that.  It's hard to spend when we can do Orlando for a fraction of that.  I don't really care where we go.  I just want to go away for a week someplace where everyone will be happy and not tell me they are bored.  

You don't really need three days for Cedar Point. It's a day trip for us. Maybe someone would spend two days, if you want to do the same rides two days in a row or go to a nearby water park.  It's not like Disney; Cedar Point alone would not provide you with a week's worth of activity.

I realize that you are looking for a vacation, not just a trip to an amusement park. You could combine a day at Cedar Point with other fun things in northern Ohio. You could take a ferry to Kelley's Island, for example. Or drive a couple of hours to the Cleveland area to go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. If you are willing to consider the Cincinnati area, you could go to King's Island instead, and then do area attractions, such as the Louisville aquarium. There are many museums in that area, as well, including the Underground Railroad Museum, the Creation Museum along with the Ark (Christian themed).

Cedar Point and King's Island are only a couple of hours apart from each other, so you could even go to both during the same week.

You could also find someplace cheaper to stay than the family cabin that you mentioned, which would cut down on the price. There would be many hotel options to choose from.

Just a few ideas that you may or may not want to consider.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My brother's family lives in Orlando.
My dear sister-in-law equates Orlando in July with Alaska in January.

The temperature is THAT uncomfortable.

Glad to hear you've changed your plan.
We love the St. Louis Six Flags park---especially in the (current) shoulder season.

Edited by Beth S

On 5/5/2021 at 8:40 AM, Kassia said:

A friend of mine (from Michigan) is there right now and here is what she wrote to me:

It was close to 100 here yesterday afternoon. I like hot but not that hot and wearing a mask in that heat is awful. We’re having fun but yesterday was a tough day with the heat and masks! I told my husband I’m not coming back here until no more masks. I swear I thought I was going to pass out or have a heart attack breathing with that stupid mask and the heat. 

There was a point during our vacation to DW in April where I had to pull down my mask because it was either that or pass out. And I'm a person who never, ever does that. My mask covers my nose and mouth every second I'm in public so me pulling my mask down was a huge concession to the suffocating heat of it.... in April! So, I can picture exactly what your friend was going through. Shudder!

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 3:24 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

Do you live in a southern climate already?

If you can handle 100F temperatures during the day with only the occasional glass of water because it's no big deal and is your normal 6 months of the year, go for it. Otherwise, hell no. (Or, plan to go 8-11am, lunch and siesta until about 4pm, and then go back for the evenings.)

I know the OP already made a decision but I live in Central Florida <1 hour from Disney/UniversalSea World/. I'm used to the weather in July. And yet there's no way in hell would I go to a theme park in July! 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I know the OP already made a decision but I live in Central Florida <1 hour from Disney/UniversalSea World/. I'm used to the weather in July. And yet there's no way in hell would I go to a theme park in July! 

I have always said only tourists go in the summer - and only because they don't know better. Yet. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2