Menu

Baby shower gift ideas needed!

sheryl

My niece "K" and her dh, "J", married Aug 1 and within 6 weeks she became pregnant.  What a first year, hey?  

Need ideas for this baby.  It's a girl; she is due end June/first July.  

Because they are first time older parents, I'm almost certain this will be their only child (biological, at least).  I have no idea if they would adopt.  It's actually a miracle she became pregnant.  Odds were against her due to: obesity, age and irregular menses. 

I am only looking for ideas for a typical baby gift as my niece is demonstrating signs of being considerably picky.  

Most people focus on the infant stage (newborn - 12 months)

Perhaps buy for 12-18 months, if buying clothing.  Any other ideas besides clothes?

I wouldn't be so sure that this will be their only baby.  I have a friend who got married within a year of graduating high school, had PCOS & infertility for 20 years, and then had a surprise baby and the very first time they had sex after the kids birth got pregnant with twins!  They say PCOS isn't infertility, it's delayed fertility, and it often somehow corresponds to longevity genes.

That said, it's totally normal for older moms to be picky.  She's probably read ALL the latest research on everything.  I'd get her a HUGE target gift card or a gift card for a massage or other services like meals, housekeeping, etc.

• Like 3

Oh, and I wished I'd had more swaddle-ups with my last two.  I don't think they existed for the older kids.  They're super simple swaddles that stretch and zip and the elbows up design really does keep them sleeping deeper and less likely to roll so they can stay in swaddles longer.  There's really no point in getting them in bigger than the two smallest sizes though.

• Like 1

I always make an "heirloom" type of gift (crotched baby blanket) plus I include several classic children's books in the gift. (I like to give books with some "longevity" to them, like like board books, or Richard Scarry books, or Grahame Base's Alphabet book, or classic picture books...)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

I like getting my kid's favorite board books.  Here are my go to ones

Sometimes I like to Curl up in a ball

Almost any sandra boynton book

100 First Animals by Roger Priddy but only the large book copy its like 10 by 10 and not in print anymore but I just bought it on ebay for $5

Richard Scarry books 

• Like 3

Favorite board books! My top choice is Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown. The Going to Bed Book by Sandra Boynton is good. I also try to include one of Roger Priddy's first words books.

LOL, looks like I just copied @hjffkj. I love Richard Scarry, too. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes, they are registered.  My niece and her husband are NOT ready to be parents.  It concerns her Mom (my sister) and me as I've observed some things here and there.  Anyway, that baby is coming in 8 weeks or less.  Her list is unusual so I'll just pick/choose myself.   I like your ideas of books.   Maybe "Goodnight Moon" - a family favorite here.  Another book or two.  Hyacinth - good idea.  Lori, her Mom knits and my sister sent me a pic of the baby blanket she just customized for my niece.  

Thanks everyone.  I'll add this special "star" nightlight K wants in baby's room and onesies and maybe another 1-2 items.  An assortment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sheryl said:

My niece and her husband are NOT ready to be parents.

What does that mean?

FWIW, when a relative became a mother unplanned at age 17, nobody thought she was prepared. She turned out a fantastic mom, under difficult circumstances ( single mother to severely disabled premie)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Maybe "Goodnight Moon" - a family favorite here. 

Goodnight Moon seems to be a very popular gift so make sure she can return it if she receives multiples.  Every expectant/new mom I know received many copies!  I like giving books too, but I try to find favorites that aren't so popular.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, regentrude said:

What does that mean?

FWIW, when a relative became a mother unplanned at age 17, nobody thought she was prepared. She turned out a fantastic mom, under difficult circumstances ( single mother to severely disabled premie)

This will be mistaken and frankly it is what it is.  This was too personal to post and will not discuss.  Very happy the relative enjoyed motherhood at a young age.  Really I should not have posted this - not open to discussion.

2 hours ago, sheryl said:

Yes, they are registered.  My niece and her husband are NOT ready to be parents.  It concerns her Mom (my sister) and me as I've observed some things here and there.  Anyway, that baby is coming in 8 weeks or less.  Her list is unusual so I'll just pick/choose myself.   I like your ideas of books.   Maybe "Goodnight Moon" - a family favorite here.  Another book or two.  Hyacinth - good idea.  Lori, her Mom knits and my sister sent me a pic of the baby blanket she just customized for my niece.  

Thanks everyone.  I'll add this special "star" nightlight K wants in baby's room and onesies and maybe another 1-2 items.  An assortment.

I wasn't ready to be a parent either, and yet, it worked out okay in the end. I did things for my children that I never would have dreamed I was capable of. 

ETA: Read your follow up; sorry for sticking my oar in. Try to stay as positive as you can. Everyone in my family thought I was doomed, but it worked out. The person I remember the most pulled me aside and said "We all know this isn't how we pictured things, but if anyone can do this, I know you can." That's always stuck with me. Just celebrate with the family, and hopefully the issues will be worked out.

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 2

My SIL planned to use cloth diapers, so I got a wipes warmer and also sewed a bunch of flannel wipes.  She seemed to appreciate them.

Books, for sure!  The Very Hungry Caterpillar is my favorite, and there are cute toys to go with it too.

If you can afford it, or if you go in with someone else, an Ergo baby carrier is really nice and also Dad-friendly.

The hospital gave us a Halo sleep sack for our sixth baby, and it was so great that I ordered a second one immediately.  They are wonderful!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, regentrude said:

Depends on how close you are and how much you want to spend.
The best ever baby/child item we owned was a quality backpack carrier. Could maybe be a gift to give from several family members together.

Surely.  A family friend of theirs gave my niece a $600 baby shower check.  We won't be competing with that.  Backpack carrier is a good idea.  Yes, have given combined gifts from the past from several family members.

9 hours ago, happypamama said:

My SIL planned to use cloth diapers, so I got a wipes warmer and also sewed a bunch of flannel wipes.  She seemed to appreciate them.

Books, for sure!  The Very Hungry Caterpillar is my favorite, and there are cute toys to go with it too.

If you can afford it, or if you go in with someone else, an Ergo baby carrier is really nice and also Dad-friendly.

The hospital gave us a Halo sleep sack for our sixth baby, and it was so great that I ordered a second one immediately.  They are wonderful!

Yes, The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a favorite of mine too as is Brown Bear, Brown Bear!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Get whatever the new parents want. I don’t understand why your opinion of her fertility, body mass index or readiness to be a parent has to do with anything. 

Oh, Jean! 🙂