Menu

Postmenopausal Bleeding a month after Covid vaccine?

TexasProud

Interesting because dd just had a a severe/weird period. It's her second one since her second shot. I'll be watching her but it seems pretty typical for a kid that's in her first couple of years of menstruating (she's a late starter). It would be a lie to say that it didn't bother me but I'm hopeful that it's temporary.

Well, I have not entered menopause yet, but am late stage peri- menopause so am skipping a lot, sometimes going three months without. I had some stand weirdness after my first dose of Moderna, and then some more after the 2nd dose. I hope I get back to regular skipping soon and finally get done. I am 53 and so very tired of the whole thing!

Edited by Faith-manor

• 2 weeks later...

People are concerned about a synthetic spike protein being transferred similar to shedding, not the viruses its self like some traditional vaccines.  They do admit the spike protein can be found in blood and other bodily secretions just not in large amounts.  I would say we can't be so sure of much just yet.  Perhaps some people have a larger dump of the protein for reasons or some other phenomenon we haven't picked up on.  

Either way I do hope someone is recording data on the cyclical phenomena women are experiencing because it is important whether caused by something natural, collective stress or due to vaccines/some kind of transfer.🖖🏽  

Some call a women's cycle her Fifth Vital Sign because we often do see changes when something is off...there is plenty of "mechanism" and science to back this up.

I honestly don't think it (menstrual irregularity) showed up in the trial because the doctors didn't look for it.

The few who might have experienced it probably shrugged it off. Women are used to not mentioning our cycles.

I don't like the brush-off from the scientists saying it isn't related in at least some cases.

Mine? Probably not related. Likely coincidental. Other people's? I believe some are vaccine-related side-effects.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I honestly don't think it (menstrual irregularity) showed up in the trial because the doctors didn't look for it.

The few who might have experienced it probably shrugged it off. Women are used to not mentioning our cycles.

I don't like the brush-off from the scientists saying it isn't related in at least some cases.

Mine? Probably not related. Likely coincidental. Other people's? I believe some are vaccine-related side-effects.

I agree with all of this. I definitely don’t agree at all with those who think this is going to be a side effect “caught” from vaccinated people by unvaccinated people, though. There is no mechanism for this. I also expect menstrual irregularities to be at least as common, if not more so, in those who actually have Covid. We know that illness can affect the menstrual cycle and pregnancy. To worry about the vaccine, which cannot cause this in anyone other than the vaccinee, but not about the virus makes no sense. Then again, I don’t consider it a worrisome vaccine side effect, either. It just means the immune system has been active.

• Like 7

On 5/7/2021 at 4:58 PM, Lawyer&Mom said:

I had mid-cycle spotting and abdominal pain after my second Pfizer, so I have an appointment next week.  Maybe an ovarian cyst?  I’ll let you all know!

No cyst. Apparently I have mid-cycle spotting for first time in my life.  We’ll see what happens next cycle.  Could be the vaccine, could be long-COVID, could just be my new normal. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, KSera said:

I agree with all of this. I definitely don’t agree at all with those who think this is going to be a side effect “caught” from vaccinated people by unvaccinated people, though. There is no mechanism for this. I also expect menstrual irregularities to be at least as common, if not more so, in those who actually have Covid. We know that illness can affect the menstrual cycle and pregnancy. To worry about the vaccine, which cannot cause this in anyone other than the vaccinee, but not about the virus makes no sense. Then again, I don’t consider it a worrisome vaccine side effect, either. It just means the immune system has been active.

Yes, I expect this to be a real effect that is transient and isn't a huge deal. I could be wrong, of course. 

13 minutes ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

No cyst. Apparently I have mid-cycle spotting for first time in my life.  We’ll see what happens next cycle.  Could be the vaccine, could be long-COVID, could just be my new normal. 

I'll try to update for myself. I had it for the first time in my life after both Modernas (which makes sense, as they are 28 days apart). It was milder the second time. Now I will wait to see what happens this time around. I really feel mine was shot induced and it won't happen this time, but I will find out soon enough.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, KSera said:

I completely agree. I do feel bad for those women who experience it as a vaccine side-effect (which I believe is real) but whom spend a lot of worry, time, & $$ at the doctor trying to figure out why because they haven't heard that this vaccine could cause this very thing. 

Thanks for updating, @Lawyer&Mom!

• Like 6

It's a good idea to check out post-menopausal bleeding. Here is an explanation why irregular bleeding might be occurring after getting the Covid vaccine:

https://www.redonline.co.uk/health-self/self/a36457082/post-menopausal-women-bleeding-covid-vaccine/

Now an immunologist has explained what could be going on. Dr Victoria Male, a reproductive immunologist at Imperial College London,  spoke to the BBC about the close relationship between our menstrual cycles and our immune systems.

She explained that there are numerous immune cells throughout the body, especially in the uterus and womb where they work to regulate when, and how heavily, we bleed if an egg isn't fertilised. 

The chemical signals released by a vaccine can temporarily impact these immune cells, causing spotting and irregular periods. Inflammation in the body, caused when the body is fighting off illness or making antibodies after a vaccine, can also affect the timing of ovulation. But she said there is no evidence that these changes are permanent or anything to worry about. Instead more studies are needed, she says, so women know what to expect when they have their COVID jab.

She urged women of all ages to come forward for their vaccine when they are called, explaining that the benefits of being protected against COVID-19 far outweigh any risks.

Many of these risks are also completely unfounded, including claims circulating online that the jabs can cause miscarriage or long-term fertility issues. She explained there was 'masses of evidence' that this isn't the case.

If you experience any irregular or unexpected bleeding after your COVID-19 vaccination then contact your GP.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2021 at 7:18 PM, KSera said:

I'll try to update for myself. I had it for the first time in my life after both Modernas (which makes sense, as they are 28 days apart). It was milder the second time. Now I will wait to see what happens this time around. I really feel mine was shot induced and it won't happen this time, but I will find out soon enough.

Everything is back to normal. So, 1st Moderna given mid cycle, followed a few days later by spotting that lasted the rest of the cycle (first time in my life I’ve had that). 28 days later, 2nd Moderna mid cycle, and several days later, milder spotting than the previous month, but lasting maybe a week still. Following cycle, no shots, no illness, everything back to normal. No spotting at all. I’m just one person, but that pattern highly suggests to me that it was vaccine induced. Interestingly, my ob/gyn acknowledges this stuff is likely shot related. But to emphasize again, I have zero concern about this. These things happen in response to the immune system being activated. My concern would be far, far higher if I contracted actual Covid while pregnant. 

• Like 5

For me, going on vacation almost inevitably triggers an early period. Or almost any anticipated event where it will be a hassle. I'm pretty sure Murphy is in charge of scheduling. 

I actually missed two cycles right around the time I got the vaccine. Of course, I'm also turning 49 this month. 

• Like 2