Menu

What is inflated or hard to find in your area?

mommyoffive

25 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

Am I the only one who can't find Gatorade in stock?  My DH and kids only like a handful of flavors and they have been out over a month.  I have bought them 1x this summer.   Otherwise they are always out!  

We just by the basic flavors that Aldi stocks but we haven't had any problem finding those when we wanted them.  I haven't looked elsewhere so it possible some of the less popular flavors are missing.

Interesting how different it is in various areas.  

I found totes, including some marked down for clearance, at Target on Monday.  We definitely have tons of Gatorade available.  Gas hasn't been an issue, although prices are up.   Plenty of cleaning productions.

Housing and vacation rentals are definitely hard to find or extremely expensive.  

Anyone else hear that Aldi's is closing ALL their locations?

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

Am I the only one who can't find Gatorade in stock?  My DH and kids only like a handful of flavors and they have been out over a month.  I have bought them 1x this summer.   Otherwise they are always out!  

Oh I better check on Powerade- that is what we drink and only certain flavors.

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Construction materials and trades people still.  We are delaying changes to the house until early next year - prices are too high even if you can get materials/help.

Yes, although I've heard lumber prices are starting to go down here.

I'm sure it has been mentioned but video cards are still in short supply. Ds has been building a computer and they have been out of stock unless you wanted to pay $1000 for a $400 card on eBay. He signed up for stocking notices and just yesterday drove over 2 hrs to the city to get one. He was something like 190 out of 195 of the ones they were selling. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soror said:

I'm sure it has been mentioned but video cards are still in short supply. Ds has been building a computer and they have been out of stock unless you wanted to pay $1000 for a $400 card on eBay. He signed up for stocking notices and just yesterday drove over 2 hrs to the city to get one. He was something like 190 out of 195 of the ones they were selling. 

My DS was is the same boat.  2 of the Best Buys in our state got a stock yesterday and you had to show up in person.  He got there at 4:30 in the morning and was 75 in line.  One of the models he was considering was sold out before they got to him with the vouchers but he got the other one he was interested in.  He said by the time the store opened there was close to 300 people in line.  We have no idea if they actually got that many products in or not but I feel bad for those who waited in line and then still didn't get anything.  It's like Black Friday shopping but for only one part!

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

Interesting how different it is in various areas.  

I found totes, including some marked down for clearance, at Target on Monday.  We definitely have tons of Gatorade available.  Gas hasn't been an issue, although prices are up.   Plenty of cleaning productions.

Housing and vacation rentals are definitely hard to find or extremely expensive.  

Anyone else hear that Aldi's is closing ALL their locations?

WHAT WHAT WHAT???????????????????????

I haven't heard that.   Please no.

1 hour ago, cjzimmer1 said:

My DS was is the same boat.  2 of the Best Buys in our state got a stock yesterday and you had to show up in person.  He got there at 4:30 in the morning and was 75 in line.  One of the models he was considering was sold out before they got to him with the vouchers but he got the other one he was interested in.  He said by the time the store opened there was close to 300 people in line.  We have no idea if they actually got that many products in or not but I feel bad for those who waited in line and then still didn't get anything.  It's like Black Friday shopping but for only one part!

Yes, it was just like Black Friday! Ds said he got the last of the kind he wanted. He got the alert in the middle of the night (night owl) and left here around 4:30a. He didn't want to wake us up earlier than 4! I was very nervous he would drive all that way and he wouldn't get one.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 9:06 PM, BusyMom5 said:

We use Gatorade with our patients at the hospital I work at and we cannot keep it in stock either.

On 7/20/2021 at 9:28 PM, lewelma said:

What is hard to find here is housing! We had 500,000 kiwis move back to escape covid in a population of 4.5 million (now 5 million). That is a massive percentage influx and we don't have the housing. People are living in their cars, tents, doubling up families in housing. We have a friend who has 9 people now in a 3 bedroom house because they took their sister's family in.  There are no apartments for rent, and no houses to buy that are even slightly affordable. The cost of buying a house in my area has increased by 35% in ONE year. 

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/money/2021/06/housing-crisis-prices-going-up-fastest-since-records-began.html

Welcome to San Diego.

• Haha 2

On 7/21/2021 at 4:28 PM, lewelma said:

What is hard to find here is housing! We had 500,000 kiwis move back to escape covid in a population of 4.5 million (now 5 million). That is a massive percentage influx and we don't have the housing. People are living in their cars, tents, doubling up families in housing. We have a friend who has 9 people now in a 3 bedroom house because they took their sister's family in.  There are no apartments for rent, and no houses to buy that are even slightly affordable. The cost of buying a house in my area has increased by 35% in ONE year. 

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/money/2021/06/housing-crisis-prices-going-up-fastest-since-records-began.html

Wondering if you have a link you could please share for that number of kiwis who have definitely moved back to NZ ?

(I've tried to google search it, but am not pulling up anything definite just one article that says half a million "could" move back ....)

11 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

Wondering if you have a link you could please share for that number of kiwis who have definitely moved back to NZ ?

(I've tried to google search it, but am not pulling up anything definite just one article that says half a million "could" move back ....)

Nope. I can't find it either. I'm guessing I've inflated the numbers. Can't be 500K. But you are right that there are 1million kiwis living overseas that could have come back.

The housing crisis has put Auckland #4 in housing unaffordability worldwide in 2021 after Hong kong, Vancouver, and Sydney.

https://www.geographyrealm.com/these-cities-are-the-most-unaffordable-places-to-buy-a-house-in-the-world/

In 2021 NZ as a whole was ranked the most frothy in real estate prices in the world by Bloomberg. If you scroll down you can see the chart for the data they collected.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/money/2021/06/new-zealand-tops-bloomberg-real-estate-risk-rankings-as-oecd-house-prices-reach-unprecedented-levels.html

The crisis has been growing for a while, but the pandemic just aggravated it. 

Oh, I found something. By April 2021 130,000 kiwis had stayed in MIQ (managed isolation and quarantine). At that point we have been completely booked for months, so add to that May, June, July (around 10000 people per month) so that is 160000. (and planes leaving are empty as it is very hard to get back in). And MIQ started April 9th, and before that people like my son flocked home in March and April. So maybe 40,000 more? (I don't have flight data for that month).  That gives me an estimate of 200,000 that have returned.

https://www.miq.govt.nz/about/history-and-origins-of-miq/

Edited by lewelma

7 hours ago, lewelma said:

Nope. I can't find it either. I'm guessing I've inflated the numbers. Can't be 500K. But you are right that there are 1million kiwis living overseas that could have come back.

The housing crisis has put Auckland #4 in housing unaffordability worldwide in 2021 after Hong kong, Vancouver, and Sydney.

https://www.geographyrealm.com/these-cities-are-the-most-unaffordable-places-to-buy-a-house-in-the-world/

In 2021 NZ as a whole was ranked the most frothy in real estate prices in the world by Bloomberg. If you scroll down you can see the chart for the data they collected.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/money/2021/06/new-zealand-tops-bloomberg-real-estate-risk-rankings-as-oecd-house-prices-reach-unprecedented-levels.html

The crisis has been growing for a while, but the pandemic just aggravated it. 

Oh, I found something. By April 2021 130,000 kiwis had stayed in MIQ (managed isolation and quarantine). At that point we have been completely booked for months, so add to that May, June, July (around 10000 people per month) so that is 160000. (and planes leaving are empty as it is very hard to get back in). And MIQ started April 9th, and before that people like my son flocked home in March and April. So maybe 40,000 more? (I don't have flight data for that month).  That gives me an estimate of 200,000 that have returned.

https://www.miq.govt.nz/about/history-and-origins-of-miq/

Wow!  thank you so much for hunting up those helpful info links.

( I was hoping, sort of, that that massive influx - half a mil people - were a very real contributor to our housing crisis: an estimated 200,000 is still a lot (!) of recent returnees.)

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 8:49 PM, SeaConquest said:

Welcome to San Diego.

Also, welcome to Nashville, TN. Trying to help two family members buy a house. It's a nightmare. 

• Like 1

We seem to have shortages depending on when you shop, and where. We also have ridiculous markups at some stores. Last night we decided to grill and went to the local grocery where ground chuck was $5.99 a pound. It hasn’t been that high since our original lockdown. Sam’s Club has things come and go, so something is always missing.

Edited by melmichigan

Though there are generally higher food prices and eating out has really went up, things seem more back to normal where I live now. 

Well, seems to be a labor shortage. My son is working extra shifts and hair stylists, nurses, and construction crews all are begging for help but actual goods seem well stocked.

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh wow.  I am having flashbacks to 2020.

So weird, I showed my dd that works at our small town grocery store the picture. She said that they don’t always get what they order on the truck but nothing like that

On 7/24/2021 at 2:06 PM, Spryte said:

Our local Costco is out of Kirkland TP. Again. They have other brands, but we’re holding out for Kirkland.  

We were at two different Costco’s 90 miles apart during the weekend and they have plenty of Kirkland toilet paper. Probably just a distribution issue on your area.

ETA: our nearest Costco ran out of frozen cherries but the other Costco had plenty.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1