Menu

12-15 year olds vaccine experiences

Katy

On 5/3/2021 at 10:31 AM, Loowit said:

This is great news.  I will need to contact DS's allergist to get his take on getting him the vaccine.  It would be nice if all of us were fully vaccinated.

We just had a zoom meeting with Dd's allergist. Doc said that if we never had a previous reaction to vaccines, there shouldn't be a problem this time. We asked for a PEG test, but she didn't want to give that without previous PEG issues. Still, I'm nervous. The doc suggested getting the shot early in the morning and sitting there for 4 hours rather than the usual 15 minutes, but I highly doubt we would do that. I would prefer for Dd to get the vaccine somewhere other than CVS or Walgreens, but I'm not sure if we really need to be in a hospital setting.

38 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

We just had a zoom meeting with Dd's allergist. Doc said that if we never had a previous reaction to vaccines, there shouldn't be a problem this time. We asked for a PEG test, but she didn't want to give that without previous PEG issues. Still, I'm nervous. The doc suggested getting the shot early in the morning and sitting there for 4 hours rather than the usual 15 minutes, but I highly doubt we would do that. I would prefer for Dd to get the vaccine somewhere other than CVS or Walgreens, but I'm not sure if we really need to be in a hospital setting.

Unfortunately, DS has had a bad reaction to a vaccine.  I talked to his pediatrician this week and he wasn't all that helpful.  He said I should talk to the person in charge at the vaccine clinic because they have more training in that sort of thing.  He said most likely DS would just have to wait half an hour to an hour afterward.  We are used to waiting after shots, he has to wait 30 mins after each of his allergy shots.  I am really hoping he will be able to get it, but I will probably wait to get it at a doctor's office/clinic rather than Walmart like I did.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Does she have food allergies?

Mine has severe food allergies and asthma, and a history of severe reaction to nuts that landed us at a hospital. He is now fully vaccinated. 
We did do it at a hospital clinic and a nurse basically sat with him for 30 minutes after the shot the first time around. 
He had no reaction. Just a little tired after the second dose. 
Just a positive story. 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Does she have food allergies?

Mine has severe food allergies and asthma, and a history of severe reaction to nuts that landed us at a hospital. He is now fully vaccinated. 
We did do it at a hospital clinic and a nurse basically sat with him for 30 minutes after the shot the first time around. 
He had no reaction. Just a little tired after the second dose. 
Just a positive story. 

Yes, food allergies here too, I’m really happy that your Ds did well. I just told Dd (she says hi to him, still remembers his musical piece).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

Yes, food allergies here too, I’m really happy that your Ds did well. I just told Dd (she says hi to him, still remembers his musical piece).

It’s nerve wrecking with allergies. I was originally waiting for Novavax since it’s a protein based vaccine, but gave up. I hope Pfizer goes as well for your DD as it did for my boy. 

Edited by Roadrunner

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

FWIW, I've had prior reactions to vaccines and I have a ton of allergies....the protocol was just a 30 min wait + have epi-pens on hand for the next day or two.

PEG is not a common reactor--Miralax is PEG3350. 🙂

@Roadrunner, @crazyforlatin, @Loowit

Yes.  PEG is in all kinds of OTC products. Miralax, and colonoscopy prep.  I know it's also in Canadian formulations of Benedryl, Reactine (cetirizine), and some preparations of acetminophen and ibuprophen (the ones with red coatings).  Likely also in the USA versions, but I don't have first-hand knowledge of that.  Most people, and given that it's in benedryl and Reactine here, especially allergy people, have had prior PEG exposure.

The mRNA vaccines do not contain egg or gelatin - this is great news for allergy people.

The Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (CSACI) is confident that these vaccines are safe for those with other allergies (ie no known allergy to the vaccine components, but allergic to other things). 

The only allergy screening questions we are asking now are 1) past allergic reaction to previous dose of covid vaccine, 2) known allergy to PEG, polysorbate or tromethamine, and 3) serious allergic reaction to other past vaccine or injected medication.  Only 1) and 2) are absolute contra-indications.  We don't even ask about food and other allergies anymore, and we don't routinely observe for more than 15 minutes for other allergies anymore.

For interest, the current covid vaccine guideline for allergists from CSACI dated March 2021.

And from December 2020 press release: The CSACI would like to reassure our fellow Canadians that unless one has a pre-existing allergy to a component of a vaccine, including the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, it is safe to proceed with vaccination for COVID-19.In addition, those with other allergic problem sare no more likely to experience an allergic reaction to the COVID-19vaccine than the general population and should safely be able to  receive this vaccine—this includes those with a history of serious allergic reactions or anaphylaxis to substances that are not an ingredient in this vaccine, and those with food allergy, eczema, allergic rhinitis (hayfever), asthma, or stinging insect allergy.

Edited to add:  April 10 update from CSACI

Edited by wathe
  • Like 11

Posted (edited)

More positive allergy experiences here.  DS is anaphylactic to peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, avocado, banana. Very allergic to wheat, egg, dairy, latex. Med allergies, too. Asthma.  And I am allergic to a bunch of foods, loads and loads of meds, with possible MCAS, and a history of reactions to vaccines. 

We all met with allergist ahead of time.  Took our epipens and waited nervously, with DH watching out for us.  

DS was absolutely fine.  I, on the other hand, had some minor anxiety while waiting but it was definitely anxiety and passed as soon as we left the building.

We had ours at a mass vaccine site at a hospital, but I’d have gone anywhere.

Edited by Spryte
Fixed allergies
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wathe said:

@Roadrunner, just edited to add April 10 update

ETA - this particular update is really readable, and quite helpful IMO

Questions were much more extensive on the first shot. We were made to sit there with direct supervision for 30 minutes. For the second shot nobody asked anything about allergies. 15 minutes standard wait and you are out. I guess they figured if you did fine the first time, no reason to fuss the second time. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Questions were much more extensive on the first shot. We were made to sit there with direct supervision for 30 minutes. For the second shot nobody asked anything about allergies. 15 minutes standard wait and you are out. I guess they figured if you did fine the first time, no reason to fuss the second time. 

In my province, the protocol and screening questionnaire changed significantly in late March/early April.  It was previously much more detailed, with more absolute contraindications, relative contraindications and precautions, and detailed questions about allergies.  It's now much more streamlined.  I wonder if something similar happened where you are.

The only absolute contraindications here are now 1)active covid 2)allergy to covid vaccine or its components and 3) age group that hasn't had approval yet (here age 11 and under).

Some of the things we were sticky about in Dec - March (ie any other vaccine in the past 14 days as a contraindication, or requiring longer observation period for those with  food and venom allergies, or special counseling for pregnant people) have either been removed completely or demoted to precaution only.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, wathe said:

In my province, the protocol and screening questionnaire changed significantly in late March/early April.  It was previously much more detailed, with more absolute contraindications, relative contraindications and precautions.  It's now much more streamlined.  I wonder if something similar happened where you are.

The only absolute contraindications here are now 1)active covid 2)allergy to covid vaccine or its components and 3) age group that hasn't had approval yet (here age 11 and under).

Some of the things we were sticky about in Dec - March (ie any other vaccine in the past 14 days as a contraindication, or requiring longer observation period for those with  food and venom allergies, or special counseling for pregnant people) have either been removed completely or demoted to precaution only.

Maybe. I wouldn’t know. I do remember them asking about other vaccines the first time around. 

Posted (edited)

I’m seeing chatter that FDA might be delaying this to June or later as they just announced a meeting in June to discuss pediatric Covid vaccines in general, no specific products. Nothing definitive yet. 

Also, the ACIP meeting agenda for this Wednesday, that was scheduled to follow FDA approval, was taken down. But maybe  they are just modifying it in some way. 

Novavax is starting trials in adolescents.

Edited by Penelope
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 6

5 minutes ago, Penelope said:

I’m seeing chatter that FDA might be delaying this to June or later as they just announced a meeting in June to discuss pediatric Covid vaccines in general, no specific products. Nothing definitive yet. 

Also, the ACIP meeting agenda for this Wednesday, that was scheduled to follow FDA approval, was taken down. But maybe  they are just modifying it in some way. 

Hmmmm. This seems worrisome. I wonder what it means. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Penelope said:

There will be howling at my house if this happens.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Danae said:

There will be howling at my house if this happens.

Yeah, this makes me nervous. 

That being said, I seem to have a mild recurrence of my vaccine headache 😛 . This vaccine really is annoyingly unpleasant and I can see why people are feeling cautious. 

• Like 1

Maybe it’s nothing?

https://news.yahoo.com/u-fda-hold-advisory-panel-163058986.html

FDA spokesperson Stephanie Caccomo said the meeting has nothing to do with Pfizer Inc and BioNTech SA's request to expand the U.S. Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of their vaccine into younger children.

Here is the announcement of the June 10 meeting.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-brief-fda-hold-meeting-its-vaccines-and-related-biological-products-advisory-committee-discuss

I did think it was strange that they did not release any of the Pfizer data, if it were to be approved for EUA today. I think they did that a few days before they met about the adult vaccines. It was all very transparent.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hippymamato3 said:

My DD12 still has a child's body. I wonder if the adult dosed vaccine would be too much for her. She wants to get it. I want the whole family to be vaxed. But I do wonder about the dosing.

That has me anxious too.  There is a big difference between a 12 yo and a 15 yo. I feel like they should have done 9-13 and 14-18 or something so that the division would be closer to average puberty.

13 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

That has me anxious too.  There is a big difference between a 12 yo and a 15 yo. I feel like they should have done 9-13 and 14-18 or something so that the division would be closer to average puberty.

Although my 12 year old is pretty far through puberty and is 5'6 and 120 pounds.  We are a vaccinating family, but I'm just not sure what we will do about dd12.  I may wait for the Novavax particularly if the numbers in our area continue their freefall.

• Like 1

Just now, freesia said:

Although my 12 year old is pretty far through puberty and is 5'6 and 120 pounds.  We are a vaccinating family, but I'm just not sure what we will do about dd12.  I may wait for the Novavax particularly if the numbers in our area continue their freefall.

Do we have any idea when novavax will be ready?

On 5/6/2021 at 9:17 PM, crazyforlatin said:

Are there clinics at hospitals near you?  My local hospital has a vaccine clinic on the grounds but not in the hospital.  It would be a really great place for someone who was concerned about a reaction because the ER is in the same parking lot.  

3 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

Do we have any idea when novavax will be ready?

No.  They just last week added down to 12 year olds their US phase 3 trials.  So, at least 3 months? 

As of tomorrow the rest of the family will have at least one shot (3 of us are fully vaccinated rn.)  She does have a couple of away camps to go to.  I am really torn about what to do.  Most of the time I feel that with numbers low and testing her before and after (which will be required) there is just a tiny chance she will get it and an even teeny tinier chance she will have serious problems.  With indoor mask mandates still in place here, as well, her passing it on to anyone is also small.  So, dh says we don't have to decide today anyway bc nothing is available to her. 

• Like 1

Seems like 12 is the age of adult doses etc for most medicine so I didn't really think about it being weird 12-15 getting the same dose.  We all really want pfizer to get approved  their will be some heartbreak here if it's delayed.  

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, freesia said:

My 12 is only 4'11 and 70 lbs! The variation at this age is amazing!

• Like 1

Heck, I’m only 4’11”!  🤣 DH always questions the dosages on meds and vaccines when we get the same dose.  

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Ha! My 12 yo daughter is 5’8”! Totally variable! 

6 minutes ago, hippymamato3 said:

My 12 is only 4'11 and 70 lbs! The variation at this age is amazing!

1 minute ago, hippymamato3 said:

I'm only 5'1 lol

Waving hello!

Once in a while, when I feel like living dangerously, I’ll round it up to 5’.  Shhhhh, don’t tell my doc.  🤣

In my late teens and 20s, my BFF was 6’11” ... he always told people he was 6’9” because he said no one could tell the difference after a certain height.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Seems like 12 is the age of adult doses etc for most medicine so I didn't really think about it being weird 12-15 getting the same dose.  We all really want pfizer to get approved  their will be some heartbreak here if it's delayed.  

Same. I just had to give my DS children’s Allegra (DH hid his stash) yesterday and made him take two. He balked. The boy is 5’8” and 165 lbs. He needed two but, clearly, still IDs as a child.

• Like 1

To throw a monkey wrench into the mix...it's not always about size but metabolism. My dad is a very large man (6' 4"), and when he gets numbed for a dental procedure or has to take meds that can make you tired, etc., he has really big reactions from small doses (so much so that he opts to get cavities filled without meds). My DH on the other hand, is wiry and 5' 10" tall with very small bone structure, and he has to have his meds topped off partway through all dental procedures, and he can take Rx pain meds with no impairment, sleepiness, etc. His sister, smaller than he is, has literally been able to hear surgeons while she's having surgery (but felt no pain). She has been able to accurately relate the surgeon's comments back to him, lol! (They've fixed this for subsequent procedures!) 

Bodies are funny.

• Like 6

Just now, kbutton said:

To throw a monkey wrench into the mix...it's not always about size but metabolism. My dad is a very large man (6' 4"), and when he gets numbed for a dental procedure or has to take meds that can make you tired, etc., he has really big reactions from small doses (so much so that he opts to get cavities filled without meds). My DH on the other hand, is wiry and 5' 10" tall with very small bone structure, and he has to have his meds topped off partway through all dental procedures, and he can take Rx pain meds with no impairment, sleepiness, etc. His sister, smaller than he is, has literally been able to hear surgeons while she's having surgery (but felt no pain). She has been able to accurately relate the surgeon's comments back to him, lol! (They've fixed this for subsequent procedures!) 

Bodies are funny.

Technically the reasons are probably genetic and how fast your liver breaks certain compounds down, but otherwise you're correct.  I imagine before 50 years have passed dosing for most medications will depend on your genetics.

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, Katy said:

Technically the reasons are probably genetic and how fast your liver breaks certain compounds down, but otherwise you're correct.  I imagine before 50 years have passed dosing for most medications will depend on your genetics.

I am heartened by the promise of genetics. I definitely am not standard issue, and it's a problem with some doctors. 

It's going to take a bit though--something like 80% of genetic aortic conditions are still not mapped to a specific gene even when you can see the pattern in the family tree, but it gets better all the time! 

• Like 2

My 14 year old is going to an overnight camp in July for a week. Vaccine would mean he can be unmasked outside and potentially even inside if CDC changes guidelines as I hear they are discussing. We will be crushed if the vaccine is delayed. 

Posted (edited)

Pfizer FDA approval for 12-15 went through!  Great news! 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/10/pfizer-covid-vaccine-fda-clears-use-in-kids-ages-12-to-15.html

eta adding NYT link.  This all was JUST released so I’m sure more links will be popping up this evening 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/10/health/pfizer-covid-vaccine-teens.html

ETA 2 - Just a quick reminder this isn't the final hurdle but given this went through, I would definitely expect CDC to follow this week.  
The F.D.A.’s go-ahead is not the final hurdle. An advisory committee of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is expected to meet shortly to review the data and make recommendations for the vaccine’s use in 12- to 15-year-olds.

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Pfizer FDA approval for 12-15 went through!  Great news! 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/10/pfizer-covid-vaccine-fda-clears-use-in-kids-ages-12-to-15.html

eta adding NYT link.  This all was JUST released so I’m sure more links will be popping up this evening 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/10/health/pfizer-covid-vaccine-teens.html

ETA 2 - Just a quick reminder this isn't the final hurdle but given this went through, I would definitely expect CDC to follow this week.  
The F.D.A.’s go-ahead is not the final hurdle. An advisory committee of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is expected to meet shortly to review the data and make recommendations for the vaccine’s use in 12- to 15-year-olds.

Oh, thank goodness. 

• Like 1

I called our pharmacy and they said they have to wait for corporate to give the all clear, but go ahead and make an appointment for a few days out.  So both my kids have appointments for Wednesday. And there was much rejoicing.

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, Danae said:

I called our pharmacy and they said they have to wait for corporate to give the all clear, but go ahead and make an appointment for a few days out.  So both my kids have appointments for Wednesday. And there was much rejoicing.

Interesting--when I tried they said they need to wait for the CDC recommendation likely to come through Wednesday. Maybe if I call around...

2 hours ago, Danae said:

Was it a chain or independent? I immediately started trying various places online, and (unsurprisingly) got kicked out every time I put in the (correct) birthdate.  I had the same thought, that I could schedule for the end of the week (and cancel if for some reason it doesn’t come through by then). 

46 minutes ago, KSera said:

Was it a chain or independent? I immediately started trying various places online, and (unsurprisingly) got kicked out every time I put in the (correct) birthdate.  I had the same thought, that I could schedule for the end of the week (and cancel if for some reason it doesn’t come through by then). 

Chain.  I did put in birthdates, but the first question was a check-box that said "I am currently eligible for a COVID vaccine."  I wonder if they made that the only restrictive field when they initially set it up so they didn't have to keep updating the criteria for different states.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Katy changed the title to 12-15 year olds vaccine experiences