Jump to content

Menu

12-15 year olds vaccine experiences


Katy
 Share

Recommended Posts

My 12-year-old received her second shot yesterday. Headache, sore arm, slight fever (99.8), tiredness, tiny bit of stomach upset. Nothing major, still cheerful, but wants to just lay around today. 🙂 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Kiddo had a slight headache this am. He got a drink and went back to bed, and just woke up. He says he feels fine now. 

He ended up with a slight fever of 99.8 and just wanted to read and loaf around today. He keeps saying he's "perfectly fine", but he's always been sort of a walk-it-off kind of guy when it comes to illness and injury. (The kid never even cried when teething!)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 14yr old and 12yr old got their 2nd dose 3ish hours ago so far one has a slightly sore arm.  I am so happy it definitely feels like we can return 90% normal. Just avoid crowds indoors.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Update on my two boys: 13yo was complaining of a headache by noon yesterday.  He must have been having a few chills because he kept taking his temp.  No fever.  15yo had no headache and functioned normally all day but had a fever of 101 by 10:30 last night.  He took Motrin and went to bed.

Edited by JanOH
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

DS woke up, silently/morosely ate his morning TROUGH of cereal, and went about his day. No effects, not even a sore arm. I believe I hear him humming. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dd14 and dd12 got their second shots today.  So far, just sore arms, about like it was with the first shot at this point.  They had a hard time sleeping the first night after their first shot because of how sore their arms became, but it was better by the end of day 2.  So we'll see how it goes this time - I'm thinking of offering a Tylenol before bed so their arms don't keep them up this time.

They are eagerly counting down their two weeks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Older boys got their second dose at 10:30 am on Thursday and DS16 started feeling awful about 5am Friday. 100+ fever all day, nausea, general malaise.  He felt significantly improved by Friday dinnertime and then woke up perfectly fine this morning.  

DS13 was particularly cranky on Friday but whether that had anything to do with the vaccine is anybody's guess. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

My Ds13 is scheduled for his second shot Tuesday. He has a bit of a cold. Debating whether he should get the shot or not. Leaning towards no for several reasons.

He will be away at camp for most of the summer, so if we skip it next week his next opportunity will be in late July. He had covid, asymptomatically, in January. Thinking he’s reasonably well protected with natural antibodies and the first shot. 

Would 8-9 weeks between doses make the second shot less effective? Or would he need to begin all over again? 
 

His school may require the vax in the fall? Or require it to be mask-free. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

My Ds13 is scheduled for his second shot Tuesday. He has a bit of a cold. Debating whether he should get the shot or not. Leaning towards no for several reasons.

He will be away at camp for most of the summer, so if we skip it next week his next opportunity will be in late July. He had covid, asymptomatically, in January. Thinking he’s reasonably well protected with natural antibodies and the first shot. 

Would 8-9 weeks between doses make the second shot less effective? Or would he beed to begin all over again? 
 

His school may require the vax in the fall? Or require it to be mask-free. 

If he’s had Covid plus one shot, I personally would wait also if he’s sick. The protection from that is excellent (although I’m not remembering if I’ve seen statistics from kids with Covid plus one shot). Most health departments seem to be saying that while they want you to get the second shot within six weeks, they won’t require you to begin the series again if you don’t. Now, whether a school district or some thing might have different rules, I have no idea.

Seems super unlikely that his cold symptoms would be Covid, considering he had it once and has had a shot, but right now, we would be getting tested for symptoms of any kind, just to be safe, and acting like it was Covid until we found out otherwise.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DD started running a fever (101.9) late last night, 12 hrs post-shot. Took Motrin and went to sleep. Slept until 10:30 am today, then was feverish, dizzy, and queasy when she got up. Fortunately the dizziness and nausea only lasted a few minutes. She took more Motrin and spent the day lying around watching TV.  Still running a low fever (100.4 without meds) before bed tonight.  

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My 14yo daughters got their shots about 3:30 Friday.  They slept a lot, but other than that (and the obvious pain at injection site), they say they feel fine.  I'm relieved.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DS 13 had his second shot on Thursday. He had some low grade fever, tiredness, headache and body aches the next day. His arm was sore, but the shot itself was one of the best sticks he's ever had--the person giving them was really good. It's all over today.

He has had some mild coughing, but we think it's allergies--the cottonwood trees are kind of going nuts here. He decided to take some Zyrtec to see if it helps. He tends to be susceptible to coughing with minor changes in weather, etc., in general and on and off from one of his meds. Lung issues are common for people with his genetic diagnosis, and I think he has mildly excitable lungs as a result.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, KSera said:

If he’s had Covid plus one shot, I personally would wait also if he’s sick. The protection from that is excellent (although I’m not remembering if I’ve seen statistics from kids with Covid plus one shot). Most health departments seem to be saying that while they want you to get the second shot within six weeks, they won’t require you to begin the series again if you don’t. Now, whether a school district or some thing might have different rules, I have no idea.

Seems super unlikely that his cold symptoms would be Covid, considering he had it once and has had a shot, but right now, we would be getting tested for symptoms of any kind, just to be safe, and acting like it was Covid until we found out otherwise.

Tested. Not covid. He caught the cold from Dd.

Tiny private school that has taken covid very seriously, but also met in person all year, with had 8 virtual  school days.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SKL said:

They slept a lot, but other than that (and the obvious pain at injection site), they say they feel fine.  I'm relieved.

I admit I giggled at all the “they”s in this 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KSera said:

I admit I giggled at all the “they”s in this 😁

I have two 14yo daughters.  "They" is appropriate, I think.  What else would you use?  She+she?

Edited by SKL
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DD15 got her second Pfizer late last week.  Had a day or two of mild fatigue, sore arm, and back to normal.  Everyone in my nuclear and extended families is now vaccinated! 
Two weeks until immunity - yay!!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just got home from the boys 2nd shot.  My one guy was able to lay down for the entire thing this time and did great (he got his first shot at Walgreens and fainted after the shot - he has vasovagal syncope reactions to shots).  Will see how they do side effects wise throughout the day.  They think they are going to swim practice this afternoon.  We will see!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2021 at 3:44 PM, SKL said:

I have two 14yo daughters.  "They" is appropriate, I think.  What else would you use?  She+she?

No, they is totally the right word! It just jumped out at me as funny given your other thread. Weird sense of humor, I guess 🤷‍♀️.

My 15yo had the second dose with nothing  except a mildly sore arm. Same as for first. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My 12yos had their second Pfizer yesterday.  So far it’s been totally uneventful.

My daughter was sick, for about 2 days, after her first shot, so it is nice that this one is zero side effects.  
 

She was sick starting the evening of the first shot, and it’s been over 24 hours this time, so I think she is in the clear.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I'm so mad. Dd15's first Pfizer shot was at a location that is only giving shots on limited days now. With district and regional qualifying meets for club track, it will be almost a month before she can do one of the dates at the original site, and she's already a month out from her first dose. I called and the hospital will not allow us to schedule her second shot at a different site, even though they have tons of other openings within their system.

Why put up barriers for people who WANT to get vaccinated in a timely fashion?

I think we'll end up going outside the hospital system, but I'm hesitant because her vaccine records were screwed up a few years ago, with incorrect info entered into the state database. It's a hassle every stupid year for school and sports forms. I've requested multiple times that her chart AND the state database be corrected, but questions have still come up three years in a row.  

The last thing I need is any complication in documentation on her Covid vaccinations.

Grrrrrr.

ETA: 3rd call to the hospital. No resolution but a supervisor is supposed to call me back. 

Edited by Acadie
  • Sad 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

My boys are 27 hours post 2nd shot.  Both of them said their arms were more sore than the 1st dose.  They are feeling fine.  One did just come to me and said his armpit is sore and can feel a swollen lymph node.  They just had a sore arm for the 1st shot.  

Edited by mlktwins
ETA: fix typing :-)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

About a week post second shot for my 15 year old.  He was down not feeling well with low grade fever, fatigue, brain fog, headache for about two and half days.  He had a sore arm, but it didn't seem to bother him much.  He also told me later that he had some chest pain, not sure what to think of that, but it has resolved now.  He is pretty much back to normal.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Acadie said:

I'm so mad. Dd15's first Pfizer shot was at a location that is only giving shots on limited days now. With district and regional qualifying meets for club track, it will be almost a month before she can do one of the dates at the original site, and she's already a month out from her first dose. I called and the hospital will not allow us to schedule her second shot at a different site, even though they have tons of other openings within their system.

Why put up barriers for people who WANT to get vaccinated in a timely fashion?

I think we'll end up going outside the hospital system, but I'm hesitant because her vaccine records were screwed up a few years ago, with incorrect info entered into the state database. It's a hassle every stupid year for school and sports forms. I've requested multiple times that her chart AND the state database be corrected, but questions have still come up three years in a row.  

The last thing I need is any complication in documentation on her Covid vaccinations.

Grrrrrr.

ETA: 3rd call to the hospital. No resolution but a supervisor is supposed to call me back. 

There's no need to stick with the same provider for both shots.  Hopefully they gave you the CDC card after the first shot, and whoever does the second shot can fill the rest in.  Hopefully you can get in at a nearby pharmacy easily and quickly.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, SKL said:

There's no need to stick with the same provider for both shots.  Hopefully they gave you the CDC card after the first shot, and whoever does the second shot can fill the rest in.  Hopefully you can get in at a nearby pharmacy easily and quickly.

Thanks, she's scheduled at CVS now. It was only the hassle we keep having with her other vaccination records that made me want to keep it within the hospital system. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Acadie said:

Thanks, she's scheduled at CVS now. It was only the hassle we keep having with her other vaccination records that made me want to keep it within the hospital system. 

When we were at the clinic (run by CORE) for DD's first shot, a woman who came in behind us was turned away for a second dose because she'd gotten her first shot at a different site (run by the county health department). Both sites were only offering Pfizer. They told her she had to go back to the original site for the second dose. I couldn't help but overhear as I was standing there filling out paperwork. It surprised me; the county health dept's web page was advertising the CORE clinic, so they seemed to be affiliated, and Pfizer is Pfizer. I also had to sign something saying that we understood we were required to return to the CORE site for DD's second dose. It said "NO EXCEPTIONS" in all caps. 

It makes me wonder if the issue is how sites report their numbers. Like if having someone go to two different sites screws up the numbers of "fully vaccinated" versus "never returned for second shot" that each location turns in, so they made a stupid rule.  At any rate it seems really wrong to turn willing people away. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, strawberries said:

When we were at the clinic (run by CORE) for DD's first shot, a woman who came in behind us was turned away for a second dose because she'd gotten her first shot at a different site (run by the county health department). Both sites were only offering Pfizer. They told her she had to go back to the original site for the second dose. I couldn't help but overhear as I was standing there filling out paperwork. It surprised me; the county health dept's web page was advertising the CORE clinic, so they seemed to be affiliated, and Pfizer is Pfizer. I also had to sign something saying that we understood we were required to return to the CORE site for DD's second dose. It said "NO EXCEPTIONS" in all caps. 

It makes me wonder if the issue is how sites report their numbers. Like if having someone go to two different sites screws up the numbers of "fully vaccinated" versus "never returned for second shot" that each location turns in, so they made a stupid rule.  At any rate it seems really wrong to turn willing people away. 

Ugh I hope that doesn't happen.  Dh took the kids to get their 2nd shot somewhere else right now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

1 hour ago, strawberries said:

Pfizer is Pfizer.
 

 

could it be that different sites have different versions — or even placebos? 
 

 

Quote

I also had to sign something saying that we understood we were required to return to the CORE site for DD's second dose. It said "NO EXCEPTIONS" in all caps. 

It makes me wonder if the issue is how sites report their numbers. Like if having someone go to two different sites screws up the numbers of "fully vaccinated" versus "never returned for second shot" that each location turns in, so they made a stupid rule.  At any rate it seems really wrong to turn willing people away. 

 

  • Confused 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...