Menu

String lights on patio

klmama

Please share about your patio string light successes.  What did you do with them?  Did you use a guide wire to hang them?  What color wire did you choose?  Anything you know now that you wish you'd known at the start of the project?  Photos would be most welcome!

we had a pavilion built - so there are guide wires (which can be tightened), between the beams.  The lights make a rectangle than are smaller than the square.   I also purchased an outdoor remote controlled double power socket (has a 6' cord to go to the outdoor outlet, which is under the eave of the pavilion).  

I have a large vine maple at the corner I want to put lights on, or at least have spots aimed at. 

20210319_181814.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

we had a pavilion built - so there are guide wires (which can be tightened), between the beams.  The lights make a rectangle than are smaller than the square.   I also purchased an outdoor remote controlled double power socket (has a 6' cord to go to the outdoor outlet, which is under the eave of the pavilion).  

I have a large vine maple at the corner I want to put lights on, or at least have spots aimed at. 

20210319_181814.jpg

Very pretty

We haven’t had a problem with squirrels, thankfully.

We have an outdoor pavilion with lights zigzagging inside.  That is, of course, covered, so YMMV. It’s similar to gardenmom’s.  We also have power running (underground) to an outlet mounted on a tree, and then lights stringing through the trees.  Hard to explain.  I can try to get a pic tonight, it’s raining now.

Our deck had lights mounted under a gazebo as well, but we are re-working the roof of that this year, so no lights at the moment.  I’m thinking more along the lines of a pergola, but we just don’t have a solid plan, so watching this thread for ideas.

No guide wire here, we just string the lights on hooks mounted to whatever.

We have them around our pergola which surrounds the hot tub. The bulbs will host moss if your live in the PNW. This is their second winter up for this set and they have the green scum that everything gets here in winter.

If I did not have a supporting structure, I would have done the 2x8 in concrete in planters or buckets thing that is all over Pinterest for support posts.

ETA: I think we have the same lights as posted above: we got ours from Costco.

Edited by prairiewindmomma