Menu

Article on different ways colleges are handling graduation

NewnameC

The community college did theirs in the Liberty Bowl yesterday. Outdoors, distanced, and streamed for attendees other than graduates and immediate family. Luckily, it rained today and NOT yesterday!!

I believe the state U is doing the same thing, and is doing multiple sessions over a weekend to keep the numbers to what can be safely distanced. 

23 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

The community college did theirs in the Liberty Bowl yesterday. Outdoors, distanced, and streamed for attendees other than graduates and immediate family. Luckily, it rained today and NOT yesterday!!

I know right? Today would have been the rain date if it rained yesterday.  but what it rained both days? eek! 

and the parking lot mess delayed 15 minutes before start (oh my...  that's right. the other side of the parking lot is the FEMA run covid vaccine center, there won't be any issues with that. LOL ), only to be followed by the Liberty Bowl power outage delay for another... what was it when they actually started? an hour later than planned.  Nothing stopping those Saluqis yesterday!   

so glad we opted to stay home and watch and just celebrate our youngest daughter's technical certificate from there! 

Edited by cbollin
typo in mascot name
  • Like 1

My niece got her master’s degree from University of Northern Arizona this week. Her department did a virtual hooding ceremony where each of the professors talked about the students they advised. It was really cool because we got to hear about all of their projects. 

UVA is doing an outdoor ceremony. Each grad gets to bring two guests. It will be live streamed, too. (I have another niece graduating from there.) 

Edited by Caroline
  • Like 2

Our school did graduation as an outdoor parade.  Spectators were allowed to spread out all over campus and the graduates paraded while distanced from each other all the way through.  Each college had a "station" with their faculty where that part of the parade split off so graduates could be paraded through, granted their diplomas, and get a photo.  Spectators were encouraged to camp out near their graduate's college area.  University-wide speeches were piped over the campus speaker system with screens set up all over for viewing.  Its as also streamed so if you were a spectator that chose a spot that was not near a monitor, they would watch on their phone.  Graduates could have as many spectators as they wanted and they were asked to pod and distance throughout campus.   I thought it was pretty cool and would actually prefer that to the traditional ceremony.  We are a campus that has terrible weather most of the year so there is pretty much nothing May could dish out that would cancel an outdoor parade like this.  

• Like 3

DD's CC is doing a virtual ceremony on May 15, right after finals end. We didn't even bother to buy a cap and gown, she's just going to recycle her brother's high school graduation stuff so we can take some pictures. She did manage to borrow the Navy sash from the recruiting office, but she hasn't gotten an email about picking up her Honors cords yet and I suspect they aren't going to distribute them. It's a let down after all that hard work. We were all looking forward to a nice graduation ceremony.

I just hope that the Navy allows guests at her boot camp graduation. That's such a big deal and virtual is just not the same. Plus, I need to take her a suitcase with some civilian clothes and her laptop before she ships to Pensacola for her IT school. I'd really rather not have to ship that and dd would like to have her computer while she waits for her class to form. At least she'll be allowed to keep her phone in storage so she'll be able to call and text once she graduates.

• Like 1

@Momto6inINAlready? It seems like he was just going through the agony of deciding so recently. (I know, I know, time flies.)

Dd#1's school only did a virtual ceremony but I think one "college" arranged an in person ceremony for their grads. Lots of unhappy parents...

Dd#2's school split up the graduation group in two & did it spaced out in their gymnasium. Really small college.

• Like 1

My university is having their graduation at a MLB stadium, staggering over two times. They're inviting graduates from 2020 to attend as well. I'm not going although I'm a bit sad I didn't get hooded properly. 

Ds graduated today (he didn't walk). They normally have the graduation on the football and its usually like 9000 degrees outside 🙄. They switched to the local indoor arena because there was rain in the forecast. So, it didn't rain, but was nice and cool. Of course. 

DS graduated today in the football stadium.  The school had one graduation in the morning and one in the afternoon.  Last night a separate ceremony was held for the class of 2020.  There was a major problem with the graduation gowns.  Normally, a nice-quality rental gown is worn.  There was a problem with the shipment and many did not arrive, so they were having to give students a cheap gown to keep instead.  But, those weren't the same color--and it is amazing how many shades of purple there are.  And then they were trying to keep 2021 tassles straight from 2020 tassles--it was a mess all week long.  This is graduating class had its first day of classes on the day of the eclipse--and nothing about their time at the university has been normal.