Menu

May Well-Trained/Training Bodies

Laura Corin

On 5/26/2021 at 12:36 PM, Ali in OR said:

Did a walking workout this morning. Is May almost over? It's gone quickly, but it's also been a long haul. I like these Wednesdays when we don't have school--I'll still go in today to help special ed students work on the career requirement for graduation. And I have my year-end review. I'm looking forward to summer, but I also got offered a summer school credit recovery position (teaching) which I accepted. And I applied for a teaching job at our feeder middle school (no math positions will be available where I work now), and yesterday I was invited to interview for that. So lots going on, including 7 cubic yards of bark mulch being delivered Thursday--better get some areas weeded today. Hang in there everyone.

Congratulations! I hope the interview goes really well!!

I could use some mulch, but 7 cubic yards would swamp me. 😉 Happy gardening! No extra dumbbell exercises needed for a while, it sounds like. 

• Like 3

I'm hoping to go paddling this afternoon. It's been a few days, and the sun looks tempting. 

Push-ups have increased to 15 twice daily with ds. His plan to do the second set. I wonder how long I'll be able to keep up with him before he blows right past me. 😉 

I just booked covid vaccines for my last 2 dc! Soon we'll all be covered.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

30 min on the treadmill this morning. Finished my book I was reading only when I was on the treadmill, The Death of Expertise. Shortish book (that's why it fits on the treadmill stand), but it still took me at least a month to read it. So I've accomplished two things already today! We have a small mountain of bark in the driveway. I need to try really hard to have some energy left at the end of the day to help with it or I'll have a very cranky dh.

• Like 3

I played singles tennis with dh after work, then went for a long walk. My legs kind of died when I was furthest from home, but I managed to get back home. I probably should have biked instead of walked after the tennis. 😉 Lesson learned!

I'm trying to organize a canoe paddle with a friend or family member for tomorrow and Sunday. This was from my trip last weekend. Perfect conditions! 

IMG_20210524_135920986.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/27/2021 at 11:11 AM, Laura Corin said:

Your dedication is really impressive, given how much you have on your plate!

I had my second Covid jab yesterday evening, so I decided not to push it today.  Instead of running, I just walked one of the dogs for an hour, and I'm about to do some yoga.  No side effects from the jab yet.

How are you feeling now?

On 5/23/2021 at 11:58 AM, Ali in OR said:

Dd ended her high school track season as well as you could reasonably dream. She's a good all-around athlete, but not the star in anything. She was seeded 10th in the 400m, so she was in the slow heat and finished 2nd in her heat with a PR. Top 8 make it on the podium so we were hoping for 2 slower runners in the fast heat! Then as we're watching their times post, we realized only the top two runners in the fast heat beat her, so she ended up 4th. And ending any season with a PR is a nice gift. Her freshman year she made state in the 400 but went out too hard and barely finished. Sophomore year she did that in the qualifying district meet and didn't even make it to state. So it was great to see her end with her best time. Then 10th in the 300m hurdles. Yesterday she had a great first jump in long jump, made it to the finals, and jumped her best on her last jump which is unusual (everyone's legs are pretty tired by then). 5th in that event. Then she PR'd on her first triple jump, going over 33' for the first time. Ended up 4th in that. Just a lovely weekend watching her compete for the last time and doing her very best. And I almost got enough steps in to close the exercise ring! Maybe I'll do some yoga today (I usually take Sundays off completely).

Many congratulations to your daughter!!! That is awesome.

Good luck on your interview.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, wintermom said:

I played singles tennis with dh after work, then went for a long walk. My legs kind of died when I was furthest from home, but I managed to get back home. I probably should have biked instead of walked after the tennis. 😉 Lesson learned!

I'm trying to organize a canoe paddle with a friend or family member for tomorrow and Sunday. This was from my trip last weekend. Perfect conditions! 

IMG_20210524_135920986.jpg

The water looks beautiful. I hope you can find some people to go with you, going with friends is always more fun.

• Like 2

We are back from vacation. We had a good time. It was crazy being away from home after being at home for so long. We did lots of walking on the island. I just waded in the ocean myself. I am not big on swimming as it is and don't like the way the ocean water feels on my skin (besides the fact the ocean freaks me out). Dh and I neither one are fans of the beach but this was the kid's choice. We all had a good time, dh and I enjoyed walking on the beach.

I'll be probably taking it easy this weekend, maybe some yoga or walking. I'll start back with my exercise routine on Monday. 

As is usual with our vacations I've lost a bit of weight because we are so busy and we make almost all of our meals in the condo and keep them simple. On the 2 drive days I brought snacks but kept to the same eating schedule as usual. 

I've made it back to my preferred weight range (4 lbs in 5 months- maybe the slowest weight loss ever). I'm trying to lean out a bit more. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3

@Soror no side effects at all with the second jab. I was rather looking forward to an afternoon watching telly in my pjs like last time. Your holiday sounds like fun. 

Three mile run in the fog on the beach today, then three mile walk with Evie. 

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

30 min yoga for the future today. No big plans for this nice long weekend. Dd and I hope to head out of town to shop for some clothes for her (graduation dress, shoes for prom). We haven't really bought much clothing-wise since before the pandemic. I don't think she even owns a dress--can't think of one. She also needs to take math and chem placement tests this weekend. I have the usual chores plus the mountain of bark plus trying to sew new cushions for our old patio dining set so they'll look better with the new furniture. Dh is from Indiana, so we'll have to watch the Indy 500 too.

• Like 3

@Soror  So glad you had a nice vacation in spite of not being an ocean lover. I'm not crazy about the taste of salt water, but I love everything else about the ocean - the smell, sounds, feel, sight. Fresh water is the next best thing, and luckily I can get easy access. We used to go to the Jersey shore most summers, but covid has stopped most travel for now. 

@Laura Corin Glad the second jab was easy for you. I'm so impressed with your regular running. I can't get excited about running these days, however running after tennis balls is completely different - that's the strongest part of my game! A friend told me I was a good 'scrambler.' 😅

@Ali in OR Is the Indy 500 happening this year? My bil lived in Indy for years, and we'd drive down to visit them. You could hear the cars across the whole city. Dh went to watch and earplugs do next to nothing to help drown the sound. I gather most drivers and crews have massive hearing loss. Pretty crazy 'sport.' 

----------------------------------------------

I found a partner to canoe with today! I'm picking up a friend and we'll paddle on the same river as the picture I just posted. I'm excited! 

Otherwise, I need to weed in the backyard so that the baby trees I planted last fall don't get crowded out.

• Like 3

@wintermom strangely I  don't get bored now that I'm not following some training plan that breaks up the time and makes me anticipate the end of each segment.  Instead I just put on a podcast,  today it was In Our Time on the Interregnum, and run for three miles at whatever speed feels good.

Glad you found a canoe partner. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, wintermom said:

@Soror  So glad you had a nice vacation in spite of not being an ocean lover. I'm not crazy about the taste of salt water, but I love everything else about the ocean - the smell, sounds, feel, sight. Fresh water is the next best thing, and luckily I can get easy access. We used to go to the Jersey shore most summers, but covid has stopped most travel for now. 

@Laura Corin Glad the second jab was easy for you. I'm so impressed with your regular running. I can't get excited about running these days, however running after tennis balls is completely different - that's the strongest part of my game! A friend told me I was a good 'scrambler.' 😅

@Ali in OR Is the Indy 500 happening this year? My bil lived in Indy for years, and we'd drive down to visit them. You could hear the cars across the whole city. Dh went to watch and earplugs do next to nothing to help drown the sound. I gather most drivers and crews have massive hearing loss. Pretty crazy 'sport.' 

----------------------------------------------

I found a partner to canoe with today! I'm picking up a friend and we'll paddle on the same river as the picture I just posted. I'm excited! 

Otherwise, I need to weed in the backyard so that the baby trees I planted last fall don't get crowded out.

Did you have fun?

22 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

@Soror no side effects at all with the second jab. I was rather looking forward to an afternoon watching telly in my pjs like last time. Your holiday sounds like fun. 

Three mile run in the fog on the beach today, then three mile walk with Evie. 

Ya, for no side effects!

So, what is your training plan now with running? Are you doing some sort of schedule or just going when the mood strikes?

I had a pretty lazy day yesterday. I did go to my Mom's house for the holiday and had lots of visiting time.

In the morning I did some exercise:

15 min tabata; 20 min core; 10 min stretching

I am going to aim for a walk and some yoga today before I get back into more intense exercise next week. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soror said:

So, what is your training plan now with running? Are you doing some sort of schedule or just going when the mood strikes?

Roughly three times a week. I like to run places that are a bit further away, where the surface is more forgiving, so it takes a chunk of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Roughly three times a week. I like to run places that are a bit further away, where the surface is more forgiving, so it takes a chunk of time.

So, places like the beach and such? That is much easier on the joints.

_______-

20 min yoga/tai chi

60 min strength+ cardio workout (planned to do something easier but felt like doing more so I did)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Soror said:

I had a pretty lazy day yesterday. I did go to my Mom's house for the holiday and had lots of visiting time.

In the morning I did some exercise:

15 min tabata; 20 min core; 10 min stretching

I am going to aim for a walk and some yoga today before I get back into more intense exercise next week. 

Sounds great to ease back in gently.

The paddling with my friend was excellent. We usually walk and talk, so shifting to paddling and talking is a nice transition. It's really easy to keep a conversation going when both are in one canoe, and paddling on opposite sides means we don't have to coordinate our tempo. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

You're so lucky to have a beach within easy range for exercise and enjoyment. I prefer running on soft surfaces as well, but the options close to me are rocky trails (beautiful but easy to turn an ankle) or dirt road/trails (a little boring and can get dusty). 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

You're so lucky to have a beach within easy range for exercise and enjoyment. I prefer running on soft surfaces as well, but the options close to me are rocky trails (beautiful but easy to turn an ankle) or dirt road/trails (a little boring and can get dusty). 

@Soror and @wintermom yes, I  almost always run at the beach or on gravel paths at a park.  I'm lucky that they are nearby. My arthritic right knee seems fine with running do long as I stick to softer surfaces, run on the balls of my feet and don't push it.

I'll be carless for three days this week so I'll just walk the dog and work in the garden.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2