Menu

May Well-Trained/Training Bodies

Laura Corin

I'm getting my first vaccine dose this afternoon. We are way behind in Canada, and our positive cases are high. Our lockdown was just extended another couple weeks. 😪

I'm still getting in the dog walks, bike rides and canoe paddles to keep me healthy and sane.

@Laura Corin Love the photo! The dog and the scenery are both fantastic!

@Ali in OR Looks so comfy and sunny! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I'm getting my first vaccine dose this afternoon. We are way behind in Canada, and our positive cases are high. Our lockdown was just extended another couple weeks. 😪

I'm still getting in the dog walks, bike rides and canoe paddles to keep me healthy and sane.

Thanks.  I'm so glad you are getting your vaccination.  Hope you don't feel too crummy afterwards.  The UK is doing the second jab after a big gap, so I've only had one so far.  I should get my second blue letter, inviting me in, in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Soror said:

That looks really nice!

Beautiful and Evie seems to be enjoying herself. I'm so impressed with your running.

Is this something Sagi put out? I tried one of his workouts but I think he must be an acquired taste. I like the workout fine but he's my least favorite trainer.

LOL, I love it. You are looking like a pro already 🙂

Its actually a body beast group on Facebook that put the calendar together.  Sagis is different, some people print off the workout sheets from the program materials page and turn up the music.  I know if I tried it on my own I'd lift to fast or not take long enough breaks needed wen lifting heavier.  I usually throw in a week or 2 of lifft 4 or chalean extreme then go back to sagis workouts.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

@Ali in OR Looks so comfy and sunny! 

Ya!!! Congratulations!!!

44 minutes ago, lynn said:

Its actually a body beast group on Facebook that put the calendar together.  Sagis is different, some people print off the workout sheets from the program materials page and turn up the music.  I know if I tried it on my own I'd lift to fast or not take long enough breaks needed wen lifting heavier.  I usually throw in a week or 2 of lifft 4 or chalean extreme then go back to sagis workouts.

Aha. I've done some on my own too but it does help to keep me paced when I can follow along with someone. Right now I'm doing a combo of LIIFT 4 and 80DO for legs. I really liked that Sagi's workouts were just weight focused but found him not so personable. I might try him again some other time. I'm sure it is great results. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ali in OR said:

Training another care provider today. Lost both people last week--the nature of this work. I had to clean up the house a bit so I just did a 20 min yoga.

I'm sorry, best wishes finding some new providers.

• Like 2

Yesterday- am cardio workout -20 min and 45 min lower body strength work

Today: upper body strength + walk

I felt icky yesterday as it was the first day of my period but don't feel nearly as bad today. It always zaps me on that first day. 

• Like 3

Sunday = family walk / hike (short, but elevation gain / loss made it feel harder)

Monday = long walk with friends at local park (yay! this is something I've been trying to get going!)

Tuesday = drove to nearby city to take long city walk with old friend / I love nice cities, and it was lovely. Legs definitely feeling it today (15,000 step walk! long for me!)

Will update for today later - going to help a friend put up a swingset, and also dig in the yard, so that may serve as a rest day for legs.

(Working very hard to connect social things to exercise things. Weight loss kinda stalling, but that's okay; I'll keep at it. I am close to the goal.)

• Like 4

I haven’t been walking, but I have been doing hours of gardening every day!  We got O’s fairy garden set up yesterday.  Another week or so of pulling weeds, planting new stuff, and mulching and I should be done and will get back to walking and trike rides.  

• Like 5

@StillJessica The gardening sounds great! I'd love to see a photo of your fairy garden. I've been avoiding gardening for the moment. I always seem to leave it to the last minute and end up getting the left-overs at the garden centres. My parents in Alberta said that they waited 2 hrs to get into a garden centre. Crazy! 

My arm is much better today, though I think I'll skip push-ups again today. I went for a dog walk this morning already, and later this afternoon I'm meeting a couple friends to walk in the woods. It will be so nice to see them again! We've all been in our little lock-down bubbles for the last month.

• Like 2

I got in my walks yesterday, but didn't make it to a paddle in the evening.

We had a little family drama when my ds17 and ds19 were moving our new washing machine into the basement. The machine slid down the stairs at one point and ds17 got a nice big laceration above his knee. Thankfully, it only damaged the skin and just needed stitches, but it took 7hrs in the hospital ('free health care for all' doesn't mean it's fast 😜). Because of the lockdown dh nor myself could stay in the hospital with him. Fortunately he had some video games to keep him occupied, and he survived the ordeal very calmly. My unconscious mind just kept dwelling on something related to the boy all night and I didn't sleep so great. It's tough turning off the mommy worry. 😉

• Sad 3

I got in my walks yesterday, but didn't make it to a paddle in the evening.

We had a little family drama when my ds17 and ds19 were moving our new washing machine into the basement. The machine slid down the stairs at one point and ds17 got a nice big laceration above his knee. Thankfully, it only damaged the skin and just needed stitches, but it took 7hrs in the hospital ('free health care for all' doesn't mean it's fast 😜). Because of the lockdown dh nor myself could stay in the hospital with him. Fortunately he had some video games to keep him occupied, and he survived the ordeal very calmly. My unconscious mind just kept dwelling on something related to the boy all night and I didn't sleep so great. It's tough turning off the mommy worry. 😉

But you missed out the important information - how's the washing machine?  

But... actually, sorry to hear about wounded son and sleepless mummy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Did my dumbbell workout today (usually Thursday but dh was on a 6:00am call yesterday--same room as the weights). We get to watch dd's final high school track meet tonight--they just announced 2 days ago that they would let spectators in after all (2 per athlete). It's sort of a state meet, but not the official state meet which isn't being held this year. Dd qualified in the 400m, 300m hurdles, long jump, and triple jump so we'll be there tomorrow too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

But you missed out the important information - how's the washing machine?  

But... actually, sorry to hear about wounded son and sleepless mummy. 

😅 The washing machine seems to have a dent on the front. My dh bought it used, and he doesn't remember if that is a product of the fall or if it was there already. We don't really care, as it just needs to work at washing clothes until we move next year. So far it looks like it does work!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, wintermom said:

😅 The washing machine seems to have a dent on the front. My dh bought it used, and he doesn't remember if that is a product of the fall or if it was there already. We don't really care, as it just needs to work at washing clothes until we move next year. So far it looks like it does work!

I'm happy to hear that both the washer and your ds are ok. I bet that was so stressful. I'd been a nervous wreck too. 

_________

Walk yesterday.

This am-

weight w/ cardio workout- 30 min

10 min legs

10 min core

10 min stretching.

• Like 2

Yesterday evening ds19 and I hiked to the river then went for a swim. He swam and I waded in the water. It was a gorgeous evening. We met a couple walking on the trails with 2 parrots on their shoulders. Later on, ds and I watch some interesting drama on the shore as a family with an off-leash dog interacted with the couple and their parrots. The dog would jump up on the person with the parrot (dog owner shouting at the dog with absolutely no response from the dog) and the parrot would fly into a nearby tree. The parrot owner would take a stick and encourage the parrot back onto his shoulder. A few minutes later the comedy was repeated. 

When we waded back to the shoreline both dog- and parrot-owners were still there chatting while one parrot owner was coaxing his parrot down from the tree. It was like a game. I'm not sure if I'm most surprised about the parrots-out-on-a-walk, or that no one lost their mind and temper in the commotion. 😅  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dh and I played our first tennis 'match' at our wee club. I played absolutely horribly, but I was running around after the balls with great skill. 😉

I'm going to focus on some yard work for the rest of the day. It is the official 'safe gardening' weekend in Canada, which means there is probably not going to be much more frost or snow.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, lynn said:

Another week of bod beast challenge done.  Next week adding Off the Wall to the last week of More Beast Challenge.

I've tried 2 Off the Wall workouts on exclusives and enjoyed them both, especially the tabata one. I'm in the middle of my own made up LIIFT4 and 80DO hybrid but am tempted to try Off the Wall. I've heard mostly good reviews but I know it is a lot more cardio and I've enjoyed having more focus on lifting.

16 hours ago, wintermom said:

Dh and I played our first tennis 'match' at our wee club. I played absolutely horribly, but I was running around after the balls with great skill. 😉

I'm going to focus on some yard work for the rest of the day. It is the official 'safe gardening' weekend in Canada, which means there is probably not going to be much more frost or snow.

I'm sure you'll be back in the swing (ha) of it soon enough.

16 hours ago, wintermom said:

Yesterday evening ds19 and I hiked to the river then went for a swim. He swam and I waded in the water. It was a gorgeous evening. We met a couple walking on the trails with 2 parrots on their shoulders. Later on, ds and I watch some interesting drama on the shore as a family with an off-leash dog interacted with the couple and their parrots. The dog would jump up on the person with the parrot (dog owner shouting at the dog with absolutely no response from the dog) and the parrot would fly into a nearby tree. The parrot owner would take a stick and encourage the parrot back onto his shoulder. A few minutes later the comedy was repeated. 

When we waded back to the shoreline both dog- and parrot-owners were still there chatting while one parrot owner was coaxing his parrot down from the tree. It was like a game. I'm not sure if I'm most surprised about the parrots-out-on-a-walk, or that no one lost their mind and temper in the commotion. 😅  

LOL, I would be very shocked if I saw parrots on a walk. I've never heard of parrots you take on walks!

17 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I had a good run on the beach in still, sunny weather. Almost three minutes faster than my previous best over the three miles. Still slow though - 39 minutes.

Light gardening this morning.

Sounds pretty good to me. I don't care what Garmin says!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After my workouts in the am we did the yard (I do the ride mowing and did the worst spots on the push mower). Then ended up pushing the riding mower up the hill because it died in the road (come to find out it needed gas). I'd checked it in the shed so it didn't occur to me that was an issue but it is shady in there and obviously I didn't see well. That was an utter asskicker. Then I finished the day doing push mowing and weed eating at MIL's house. I'm sore all over. I don't know how much is from the new workout and how much is the extra yard work and pushing the riding mower (with help from the girls or I wouldn't have made it so far). 

I think I'll do some yoga and foam rolling today. 

Tommorrow we leave for a little mini beach vaca. We'll be back late Friday. We're staying at an AirBnB and hopefully having a good relaxing time. 

Today I've got to clean house and prep food, one of the reasons we do AirBnB's is to save on meals and as a bonus in COVID it keeps us out of restaurants. I think I'm doing super hero muffins for breakfast as those will travel well. Still have to do laundry and pack too. After all the outside work yesterday I didn't feel like tackling the house.

I'll be taking the week off exercise. We'll be active while there, except on driving days but that's it. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

@Soror have a great trip! 

Doing a lot of house cleaning today. It's got away from me while I've been dealing with dogs and running and such. I'll walk the dogs later.

Thank you Laura!

40 min of stretching and foam rolling done. 

Now onto cleaning and food prep.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Soror said:

LOL, I would be very shocked if I saw parrots on a walk. I've never heard of parrots you take on walks!

I'd never seen this before, either. I was especially surprised to see this at a place with lots of off-leash dogs. Clearly, the parrots know how to fly to safety, but I wonder what it does for their heart. I've been watching wildlife vet programs and encounters with predators for a sustained period (30 min) can cause animals to die of heart attack. Hopefully these parrots are used to dogs.

@Soror Have a wonderful mini-vacation. 

@Laura Corin I've been neglecting housework, too. Between work and trying to exercise outdoors as much as possible, cleaning the house is a very low priority Not that it's ever been high. ;)  I was thrilled when ds19 offered to vacuum and mop the living room and kitchen. 

@Ali in OR Congratulations for your dd and her track accomplishments! How did she do at the state meet?

I'm walking with a friend this afternoon, and playing tennis with dh after dinner. I'll also get in a couple dog walks and hopefully some more gardening.

• Like 2

Dd ended her high school track season as well as you could reasonably dream. She's a good all-around athlete, but not the star in anything. She was seeded 10th in the 400m, so she was in the slow heat and finished 2nd in her heat with a PR. Top 8 make it on the podium so we were hoping for 2 slower runners in the fast heat! Then as we're watching their times post, we realized only the top two runners in the fast heat beat her, so she ended up 4th. And ending any season with a PR is a nice gift. Her freshman year she made state in the 400 but went out too hard and barely finished. Sophomore year she did that in the qualifying district meet and didn't even make it to state. So it was great to see her end with her best time. Then 10th in the 300m hurdles. Yesterday she had a great first jump in long jump, made it to the finals, and jumped her best on her last jump which is unusual (everyone's legs are pretty tired by then). 5th in that event. Then she PR'd on her first triple jump, going over 33' for the first time. Ended up 4th in that. Just a lovely weekend watching her compete for the last time and doing her very best. And I almost got enough steps in to close the exercise ring! Maybe I'll do some yoga today (I usually take Sundays off completely).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 min on the treadmill this morning. And I survived a weekend of eating on the road without gaining weight. That took intentional effort--like eating just 2 meals on Saturday, knowing at least one would be higher calorie than my typical. Could use more sleep, but on to another week.

• Like 1

Ds19 and I went for a gorgeous canoe paddle and explored a new river (for us). The weather and water conditions were absolutely perfect! We paddled nearly 2 hrs. I'm also playing an hour of singles tennis with dh later today, so it'll be a early night for me after all this activities! 😉

• Like 3

Ds19 and I went for a gorgeous canoe paddle and explored a new river (for us). The weather and water conditions were absolutely perfect! We paddled nearly 2 hrs. I'm also playing an hour of singles tennis with dh later today, so it'll be a early night for me after all this activities! 😉

That sounds like a lot!

I only walked the dogs today. I slept badly and it rained all day, so I took an extra day between runs. I'm due to have my second vaccination on Wednesday,  so I  might end up  having a few quiet days after that. Gratuitous dog photo - 

20210523_143806.jpg

• Like 3

@Laura Corin That is the cutest photo ever! Thanks for sharing. All the best on jab #2!!

@Ali in OR Great job on the workout today. It's tough re-booting after a break.

It was a bit of a rest day today after an active weekend. I've done a short dog walk and push-ups with ds15. My arms are definitely getting stronger again. I could paddle and then play tennis in one day, and push-ups the next day were a breeze (at least the 15 I completed, were). I'm gradually building up again.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

@Laura Corin That is the cutest photo ever! Thanks for sharing. All the best on jab #2!!

@Ali in OR Great job on the workout today. It's tough re-booting after a break.

It was a bit of a rest day today after an active weekend. I've done a short dog walk and push-ups with ds15. My arms are definitely getting stronger again. I could paddle and then play tennis in one day, and push-ups the next day were a breeze (at least the 15 I completed, were). I'm gradually building up again.

Thanks. Glad to hear about the arm strength. Well done for persevering, with all the other busyness in your life.

3 mile run yesterday. Physio this morning. Daughter comes to stay today so probably just a dog walk today, then second jab tonight.

• Like 2

Did a walking workout this morning. Is May almost over? It's gone quickly, but it's also been a long haul. I like these Wednesdays when we don't have school--I'll still go in today to help special ed students work on the career requirement for graduation. And I have my year-end review. I'm looking forward to summer, but I also got offered a summer school credit recovery position (teaching) which I accepted. And I applied for a teaching job at our feeder middle school (no math positions will be available where I work now), and yesterday I was invited to interview for that. So lots going on, including 7 cubic yards of bark mulch being delivered Thursday--better get some areas weeded today. Hang in there everyone.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

Shorter but harder dumbbell workout this morning.

Your dedication is really impressive, given how much you have on your plate!

I had my second Covid jab yesterday evening, so I decided not to push it today.  Instead of running, I just walked one of the dogs for an hour, and I'm about to do some yoga.  No side effects from the jab yet.

• Like 2