Menu

Garlic Chives

BlsdMama

I got some of these in a CSA box once and wasn’t sure what to do with them either.  They are a little too strong, IMO, for my normal usage of chives chopped up in salads or on baked potatoes or as a garnish on other bland dishes.

I found that they were great in stir fries that call for scallions, and also in that classic ground beef/noodle casserole that involves cream cheese and cottage cheese with scallions mixed in.  Also they toned down a bit if sort of pickled in vinegar, so since I make my own vinaigrette’s, I put them in and that was absolutely fantastic.

• Like 3

I eat garlic chives all the time, especially since we usually live in countries where they're a lot more common than in the US.  I keep them chopped up in the fridge to add to lots of different things.  I just finished eating a breakfast of ramen with lots of garlic chives.  Eggs and chives were the first way I ate them, and just saute your chives a bit then scramble an egg into them.  We have sauteed greens often and garlic chives add a great flavor to the mix.  Or I just saute garlic chives om their own and top them with vinegar.  They're also a good addition to taamiya in place of some of the parsley or coriander or whatever greens the recipe you're using calls for,  Use them in soup.  You can replace scallions or green onions with garlic chives in many recipes. They are a great filling for fried, baked, or steamed dumplings/momos/samsas/whatever you choose to call them. Basically, you can use them anyplace where you want something green that also has a fairly intense flavor.  Some people think they're stinky.  

I don't ever use them as a substitute for the usual chives you get in the US since the flavor is totally different.  

Here's a recipe that uses garlic chives that I like to have for breakfast. 

One scrambled egg
Squeeze of lemon juice
Dusting of zaatar
Sprinkle of chopped kurrat/jusay/garlic chives
Salt and red pepper to taste
Half a loaf of aish or any other flatbread you like

Gently scramble your egg, then add the rest of the ingredients, either mixed in or on top, fill the flatbread, and enjoy.

Edited by Amira

Egg dishes, as others have mentioned. We make dumplings/potstickers with them.

Honestly, I don’t use my large clump for cooking much, but the have beautiful white flowers later in the season and the dried flower stalks are nice to decorate with.

Edited by LAS in LA
Spelling