Menu

Anyone ever take collagen type supplements?

matrips

I just ordered some hydrolyzed collagen to put in my morning smoothie, but I haven't tried it yet.  I choose this one based on reviews:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XQ2XGAA?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I also heard a recommendation to use hydrolyzed collagen in a YouTube video from Dr Rhonda Patrick (of Found My Fitness) after I ordered it.  I think it was her smoothie #2 recipe video. Apparently it is both stored in the joints AND is broken down into amino acids to use all over the body according to a study she cited.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I've used collagen powder off and on for about a year. I've seen no effects of this at all and have not have any side effects. This is what I'v used. 

Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides Powder

I'm pretty skeptical about it and might stop using it. 

I use that one, too. I have only been taking it for a few months, but I’m definitely not seeing any of the miraculous improvements people talk about in the reviews on Amazon. I haven’t had any side effects, either.  

You can mix it into cold drinks, but I don’t think it dissolves very well. It works great in hot beverages, though. The biggest advantage to this stuff is that you can use it in baked goods, so I add it to chocolate chip muffins and pretend they’re good for me now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Can I ask why you chose this one?  It has collagen types 1 and 3. Not that I know what it means, lol, but wondering if you chose it for that. I read this article yesterday about using collagen that has all five types to it.  I’m still in research mode 🙂

https://consumershealth.org/collagen-supplements-guide/?msclkid=4c8099983405168fe8b1f9148a52bbd1

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I've used collagen powder off and on for about a year. I've seen no effects of this at all and have not have any side effects. This is what I'v used. 

10 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I use that one, too. I have only been taking it for a few months, but I’m definitely not seeing any of the miraculous improvements people talk about in the reviews on Amazon. I haven’t had any side effects, either.  

You can mix it into cold drinks, but I don’t think it dissolves very well. It works great in hot beverages, though. The biggest advantage to this stuff is that you can use it in baked goods, so I add it to chocolate chip muffins and pretend they’re good for me now. 

See above.  I quoted wrong 🙄

• Like 1

So I’m reading that 1 and 3 are the most common because that makes up the most of what our bodies have. So I get it.

I’m also reading Amazon reviews that say the one they got from Amazon seems different than the one they bought locally at a health food store.  Same packaging etc but not same performance.  Did you buy local or from Amazon?

47 minutes ago, matrips said:

Can I ask why you chose this one?  It has collagen types 1 and 3. Not that I know what it means, lol, but wondering if you chose it for that. I read this article yesterday about using collagen that has all five types to it.  I’m still in research mode 🙂

https://consumershealth.org/collagen-supplements-guide/?msclkid=4c8099983405168fe8b1f9148a52bbd1

I chose it because that was the one that was on sale when I decided to try some.😃 Also, it got good reviews.

#scientificgenius

Edited by Catwoman
The words in sentences are supposed to be in order.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, matrips said:

So I’m reading that 1 and 3 are the most common because that makes up the most of what our bodies have. So I get it.

I’m also reading Amazon reviews that say the one they got from Amazon seems different than the one they bought locally at a health food store.  Same packaging etc but not same performance.  Did you buy local or from Amazon?

I bought it at Costco. I have never bought it in a health food store, so I don’t know if it’s any different from one place to another. I read that in one of the Amazon reviews, and I wasn’t sure if it was true or if maybe the reviewer owns a health food store! 😉 

• Haha 1

Well, I just got home from Sprouts with a canister.  I'll try it and see.  Would love to see the results those Amazon reviewers get, but I'm pretty skeptical.  Worth a shot though :)  I'll try to follow-up in a month.

I went with this one:  https://www.pharmaca.com/country-life-maxi-collagen-c-a-biotin-7-5oz?msclkid=38eabb9c2a5b1ab386bcdb11ac803de7&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PH_Bing_Shopping_Medium&utm_term=4574861727535181&utm_content=Shopping - Medium  

• Like 1

I know "they" say there is no evidence that it works, whatever works means but I have noticed a difference.

My skin is really dry, like flaky on my face. It no longer is since taking collagen. My hair also stopped shedding so much. I drink the same amount of water as I did before adding the collagen. There could be other factors but I figure that since it is not harmful, why not take it? 

I use the Vital Proteins from Costco 

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Editing my response bc I got this *brand*, but not the exact same one. Mine is the marine collagen one in the lighter blue-ish green container. So bummed to hear your report. 😞 I bought it with the hopes of helping my joints, especially my knees. If it does anything for my skin, that will just be a bonus. I’m going to give it a month, maybe two and see if I can tell a difference. No side effects with this one for me at all so far. 

Edited by mmasc
ETA: I bought mine at GNC bc it was actually cheaper than Amazon
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mmasc said:

This is exactly what I started using about 2 weeks ago. So bummed to hear your report. 😞 I bought it with the hopes of helping my joints, especially my knees. If it does anything for my skin, that will just be a bonus. I’m going to give it a month, maybe two and see if I can tell a difference. No side effects with this one for me at all so far. 

It might be good for your joints — I hadn’t thought about it until you mentioned it, but I was having some fairly frequent hip pain and it seems to have gone away. I can’t say for sure whether or not it’s from the Vital Proteins, though, or if it just went away on its own. It’s definitely worth a try!

I have also heard it’s good for bone density, but with Covid worries, I didn’t get tested before I started, so I won’t be able to tell if it is doing anything for me.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, regentrude said:

How is oral collagen helping? Wouldn't it break down in the stomach acid?

I question the biological plausibility of collagen supplementation.  Collagen is a really big molecule.  Proteins get broken down into amino acids and small peptide molecules when digested. Eating more collagen to get better skin seems a bit like eating meat to passively make bigger muscles.

I think the thinking is that your body can re-make the particular simple peptides that collagen breaks down into into new connective tissue.  But, eating meat products should provide plenty of collagen in the diet.  I don't think that very many North Americans are collagen deficient.  Vegetarians' bodies make connective tissue just fine without eating any collagen at all, so obviously our bodies are capable of making collagen without ingesting it. 

Here's a Japanese paper that summarizes the postulated mechanism: "Effects of Collagen Ingestion and their Biological Significance".  And also states: "the adequate ingestion of a nutrient from the diet results in supplemental ingestion of this nutrient having little or no beneficial health effect."

Maybe I'll order the beef tendon in my pho next time.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wathe said:

I question the biological plausibility of collagen supplementation.  Collagen is a really big molecule.  Proteins get broken down into amino acids and small peptide molecules when digested. Eating more collagen to get better skin seems a bit like eating meat to passively make bigger muscles.

I think the thinking is that your body can re-make the particular simple peptides that collagen breaks down into into new connective tissue.  But, eating meat products should provide plenty of collagen in the diet.  I don't think that very many North Americans are collagen deficient.  Vegetarians' bodies make connective tissue just fine without eating any collagen at all, so obviously our bodies are capable of making collagen without ingesting it. 

Here's a Japanese paper that summarizes the postulated mechanism: "Effects of Collagen Ingestion and their Biological Significance".  And also states: "the adequate ingestion of a nutrient from the diet results in supplemental ingestion of this nutrient having little or no beneficial health effect."

Maybe I'll order the beef tendon in my pho next time.

Yeah, I know vegetarians and vegans with fantastic skin 🙂

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

It might be good for your joints — I hadn’t thought about it until you mentioned it, but I was having some fairly frequent hip pain and it seems to have gone away. I can’t say for sure whether or not it’s from the Vital Proteins, though, or if it just went away on its own. It’s definitely worth a try!

I have also heard it’s good for bone density, but with Covid worries, I didn’t get tested before I started, so I won’t be able to tell if it is doing anything for me.

If you ever decide to go off of it, I’d be very curious to see if your hip pain comes back. The whole reason I was prompted to try it was because Angie at Hot & Flashy said she was taking it for quite a while and stopped (I think bc she didn’t think it was doing anything and had run out or something). Well then she started noticing her joints ‘getting creaky’ again and discovered it was probably the absence of the collagen supplement. That’s when I thought it would be worth a try for my creaky knees. I’ve tried glucosamine and just could not handle swallowing three big capsules a day. Blech. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

If you ever decide to go off of it, I’d be very curious to see if your hip pain comes back. The whole reason I was prompted to try it was because Angie at Hot & Flashy said she was taking it for quite a while and stopped (I think bc she didn’t think it was doing anything and had run out or something). Well then she started noticing her joints ‘getting creaky’ again and discovered it was probably the absence of the collagen supplement. That’s when I thought it would be worth a try for my creaky knees. I’ve tried glucosamine and just could not handle swallowing three big capsules a day. Blech. 

I couldn’t take the glucosamine, either! 

I think you should give the Vital Proteins (or another brand) a try. It might work, and it’s so easy to take. It’s kind of pricey, but if it works, it’s worth it! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I know "they" say there is no evidence that it works, whatever works means but I have noticed a difference.

My skin is really dry, like flaky on my face. It no longer is since taking collagen. My hair also stopped shedding so much. I drink the same amount of water as I did before adding the collagen. There could be other factors but I figure that since it is not harmful, why not take it? 

I use the Vital Proteins from Costco 

That’s so encouraging! How long did you take it before you started to see results? 

43 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I couldn’t take the glucosamine, either! 

I think you should give the Vital Proteins (or another brand) a try. It might work, and it’s so easy to take. It’s kind of pricey, but if it works, it’s worth it! 

Oh, I’ve got it to try! I’m about two weeks into it. The same one as you I think—the marine collagen one. No results yet, but I’m still hopeful. Maybe we’ll both notice a big difference!🤞and I agree—I’d keep paying the price if I can see a difference in my creaky knees!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I always order extra tendon in the pho.

Mmmmm.

Bill

I've never worked up the nerve to try it.  I wouldn't even have o order my own - my 11 year old likes his pho with everything in it - beef tendon, tripe, the works. I could just take a nibble of his.  He also has lovely skin....

My dh started taking it about a year ago for early onset osteoporosis and joint problems.  Studies have shown that taking 5,000 (mg??) per day along with calcium can help turn things around.  A year later, his osteoporosis has upgraded to osteopenia.  Who knows if the collagen helped with that, but we'll keep it up!  Because the daily serving suggestion listed on the package I have is actually twice that amount, I split it between him and me.  I guess I don't really notice any changes in anything on me?  But I continue using it daily along with my dh.  Absolutely no side effects.  My skin is still getting older!  But maybe it's helping my bones.

This is what we use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GY22VLW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 2

@matripswhat are you currently using/doing for your skin? 

I’m with Regentrude and Wathe. I don’t think ingesting collagen can do any good. I took collagen for awhile for various things and didn’t notice any difference. 

I think a better approach is to (1) do something that stimulates collagen production in the skin—like a dermal roller or micro needling. 

(2) retinoids (check out what The Ordinary has—good stuff and it’s inexpensive)

(3) hyaluronic acid—both topically and oral supplement. I started taking it orally a few months ago, and I DID notice a difference in my skin within days. ETA: There have been studies done that indicate that ingested hyaluronic acid does in fact make it to the skin. I’m also hoping it will help with post menopausal “dryness” in another area. 

Edited by popmom
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, J-rap said:

My dh started taking it about a year ago for early onset osteoporosis and joint problems.  Studies have shown that taking 5,000 (mg??) per day along with calcium can help turn things around.  A year later, his osteoporosis has upgraded to osteopenia.  Who knows if the collagen helped with that, but we'll keep it up!  Because the daily serving suggestion listed on the package I have is actually twice that amount, I split it between him and me.  I guess I don't really notice any changes in anything on me?  But I continue using it daily along with my dh.  Absolutely no side effects.  My skin is still getting older!  But maybe it's helping my bones.

This is what we use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GY22VLW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks! That is very encouraging! I’m at an age where osteoporosis is becoming more of a concern, so if the collagen stuff can help, I’m all in!

If you don’t mind me asking, what brand of calcium do you take?

6 minutes ago, popmom said:

3) hyaluronic acid—both topically and oral supplement. I started taking it orally a few months ago, and I DID notice a difference in my skin within days.

What did you take (link or brand) and what kind of differences in your skin?  Thanks!

11 minutes ago, matrips said:

What did you take (link or brand) and what kind of differences in your skin?  Thanks!

I am taking Naturebell brand 250mg twice a day. 

Noticeably smoother skin. I have Rosacea. I was having problems with flaking, roughness, and bumps. It doesn’t help the redness, but the other 3 issues are much better. And I started the supplement during a lazy stretch when I wasn’t doing ANYTHING topically for my skin, so i have to attribute it to the supplement. Ymmv of course! 

Topically, I use Hado Labo brand.

Limited-time deal: Hada Labo Tokyo Skin Plumping Gel Cream 1.76 Fl Oz - with Super Hyaluronic Acid & Collagen - 24 Hour Moisture & visible Line Plumping Fragrance & Paraben Free Non-Comedogenic (Packaging May Vary) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I4BUBN8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9TRPH52VXFWBAQ5WNACJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by popmom
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2021 at 9:33 PM, Catwoman said:

Thanks! That is very encouraging! I’m at an age where osteoporosis is becoming more of a concern, so if the collagen stuff can help, I’m all in!

If you don’t mind me asking, what brand of calcium do you take?

Well, I don't have a great answer for that!  I've been switching around with different brands for a long time.  The truth is that it's hard for me to swallow big calcium pills!  They make me gag.  So then I often go back to the Tums chewable 1000...  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Well, I don't have a great answer for that!  I've been switching around with different brands for a long time.  The truth is that it's hard for me to swallow big calcium pills!  They make me gag.  So then I often go back to the Tums chewable 1000...  

I have trouble with big pills, too. I bought Kirkland brand gummies at Costco. I can’t remember what form of calcium it is. I decided even if it’s not the most absorbable form, it’s better than nothing. Do you take D3 with it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, popmom said:

I have trouble with big pills, too. I bought Kirkland brand gummies at Costco. I can’t remember what form of calcium it is. I decided even if it’s not the most absorbable form, it’s better than nothing. Do you take D3 with it?

I think I'd take every pill in gummy form if I could!  😄  Yes, I do take D3.

10 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I think I'd take every pill in gummy form if I could!  😄  Yes, I do take D3.

Same! But those calories add up! I bought multi vitamin gummies at Costco, too. Didn’t realize til I got them home that the dosage is 6 gummies a day! That on top of the calcium gummies is a meal’s worth of calories! 😭

• Haha 1