Menu

Parents of pre-med students

LAS in LA

What is your dc’s major?

DS plans to attend a college with a biomedical sciences (ie pre-med) major, but we understand that this kind of major is not the norm for pre-med students. He is thinking through other major options that will allow time for medical school prerequisites/MCAT prep.

Dd just finished her 3rd year of uni - piano performance/composition double major.  Her electives have been things like human bio, org chem, biochem, etc.  She wrote the MCAT in March for the first time and got a 504 but wants to write it again to maximize her score.  She's chosen to extend her undergrad degree to 5 years so she can do a couple of multi-year senior projects with two of her professors so she has lots of time to retake the MCAT.  She'll probably begin applying to med schools in fall of her last year of undergrad.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dicentra said:

Dd just finished her 3rd year of uni - piano performance/composition double major.  Her electives have been things like human bio, org chem, biochem, etc.  She wrote the MCAT in March for the first time and got a 504 but wants to write it again to maximize her score.  She's chosen to extend her undergrad degree to 5 years so she can do a couple of multi-year senior projects with two of her professors so she has lots of time to retake the MCAT.  She'll probably begin applying to med schools in fall of her last year of undergrad.

I like the 5yr undergrad or 4yr+gap yr before med school idea. 

• Like 1

My husband was chemistry and art.

In my experience with family and friends, the biomedical or health science type majors are more common among students pursuing other health professions or even vet school, as opposed to medical school. I was actually pretty surprised to see that some of the students with these majors (depending on the college) didn’t have to take any upper division courses outside of the required pre-health courses.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 1:17 PM, LAS in LA said:

What is your dc’s major?

DS plans to attend a college with a biomedical sciences (ie pre-med) major, but we understand that this kind of major is not the norm for pre-med students. He is thinking through other major options that will allow time for medical school prerequisites/MCAT prep.

My daughter majored in biology and minored in chemistry and Latin.

• Like 1

I talked to a neighbor today whose 2021 college grad, a biology major, will start med school in fall.

One of my college grads had numerous friends in chemical engineering who are in med school now.

I also know a current nursing major, who is taking pre-med requirements to keep that door open. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 11:46 PM, Frances said:

My husband was chemistry and art.

In my experience with family and friends, the biomedical or health science type majors are more common among students pursuing other health professions or even vet school, as opposed to medical school. I was actually pretty surprised to see that some of the students with these majors (depending on the college) didn’t have to take any upper division courses outside of the required pre-health courses.

Yes, DD is going BioMed with a Chemistry minor as a precursor to vet school.