Menu

We found a ferret in our carport

hjffkj

Got home for a walk today and after everyone was inside a little ferret popped his head out in front of our door.  I went out to catch him and make sure he wasn't dehydrated or hungry, he is both.  So, anyone have experience with ferrets that can tell me the best way to take care of one.  I haven't even touch one since I was a kid.

3 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

First- I would get him into the vet.  He will need a rabies shot and sadly, it is not uncommon for people to release them if they have a major health issue.  

A saying said around here is ferrets are similar to dogs as they can’t have enough toys. Lol

I called the vet closes to us and they didn't seem to think it was necessary for me to take it in yet.  Basically they said feed it cat food, make sure it has water, and try to find its owner.  She seemed really disinterested in helping me figure out if the ferret needed to be seen by a vet, it was weird.  Made me really happy with my choice not to use that vet clinic for my animals

You're the best for taking it in!

Although DH and I had ferrets way back when we were first married, my mind is so mushy these days that I don't remember much, except that you'll want a high-walled corner style litter box for it because they like to poop in the very corner.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Don't tell my oldest!  They've been begging for a ferret for years.  

My kids are begging to keep him if we can't find the owner but there is no way in heck it is happening.  Ferrets are too stinky!  Want a dog? sure. A reptile?  yep.  Amphibian? of course.  Non dog furry beast?  Not gonna happen.

• Like 1

We bathed him, got cat food for him that he is happily eating, and put some water in with him.  His poop looks healthy so no worry of dehydration!!  He must have just been lost not too long ago.  He is not the next door neighbors but she did say she'd most likely take him if we can't find the owner. So, yay for that possibility.

• Like 5

Oooh, my DD would be in heaven.  She got a ferret stuffie for her birthday yesterday, because we can’t do a real one.  I love ferrets, but can’t do it again ... too much bathing necessary!  They are sooo much fun, though.

What a fortunate ferret, to be found by you!

Not all vets treat ferrets, that might be why the one you called wasn’t really concerned about getting him in to be seen. I would be a little bit cautious, re: nips and bites.  We always kept our ferret’s rabies shots current, but some people might not.

I would definitely be looking for his owner.  (We are saying it’s a boy?  Not a girl?  Not an “it” ... ? lol) 

Our little girl used to love a stuffie that was about her size, very soft.  And lots of toys.  I’d give water and food, a snuggly place to sleep and some toys.  And if it’s not a nippy little guy, lots of play and snuggles while you find the owner.

Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Oooh, my DD would be in heaven.  She got a ferret stuffie for her birthday yesterday, because we can’t do a real one.  I love ferrets, but can’t do it again ... too much bathing necessary!  They are sooo much fun, though.

What a fortunate ferret, to be found by you!

Not all vets treat ferrets, that might be why the one you called wasn’t really concerned about getting him in to be seen. I would be a little bit cautious, re: nips and bites.  We always kept our ferret’s rabies shots current, but some people might not.

I would definitely be looking for his owner.  (We are saying it’s a boy?  Not a girl?  Not an “it” ... ? lol) 

Our little girl used to love a stuffie that was about her size, very soft.  And lots of toys.  I’d give water and food, a snuggly place to sleep and some toys.  And if it’s not a nippy little guy, lots of play and snuggles while you find the owner.

Good luck!

if we don't find its owner we will take it to get vaccinated before rehoming it. I'm just saying he because I don't like saying it for some reason. 

He is not nippy at all so now that he's clean he's getting snuggles from me. Since we don't know if it has had a rabies shot I'm not letting the kids touch it.  They are currently playing on our deck with him with toys.  He needed to stretch because we only have a tiny cat carrier but he has zero interest in leaving our sides.  It makes me think he was abandoned because he isn't wandering away

• Like 5

1 minute ago, hjffkj said:

if we don't find its owner we will take it to get vaccinated before rehoming it. I'm just saying he because I don't like saying it for some reason. 

He is not nippy at all so now that he's clean he's getting snuggles from me. Since we don't know if it has had a rabies shot I'm not letting the kids touch it.  They are currently playing on our deck with him with toys.  He needed to stretch because we only have a tiny cat carrier but he has zero interest in leaving our sides.  It makes me think he was abandoned because he isn't wandering away

Oh my goodness.  That poor baby.

I would be terribly tempted to keep him, if you don’t find his family.  He sounds like a sweetheart.

Heck, I’m tempted to be another volunteer forever home if you can’t find his owner ... wanna meet halfway?  😊

My beloved ferret was with me for 9 years.  She was just the sweetest.  I miss her!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Carport isn’t a term I see used often, so I read that you found a ferret in your carpet. That was interesting.

No personal experience to share (dh had two when I first met him, and then they died,) but I really wanted to share the carpet thing.

I read it the same way at first!  How funny.

7 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Oh my goodness.  That poor baby.

I would be terribly tempted to keep him, if you don’t find his family.  He sounds like a sweetheart.

Heck, I’m tempted to be another volunteer forever home if you can’t find his owner ... wanna meet halfway?  😊

My beloved ferret was with me for 9 years.  She was just the sweetest.  I miss her!

where you located, ha!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

It sounds like he knew what he was doing when he stopped at your house. Bless his heart. You are so kind to be taking care of him.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, hjffkj said:

It makes me think he was abandoned because he isn't wandering away

Or just lost. I had a friend lose a dog during a car accident that was far from home, and I've heard of pets unexpectedly hopping out of cars at rest stops and such. 

It's nice of you to take him in. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hjffkj said:

My kids are begging to keep him if we can't find the owner but there is no way in heck it is happening.  Ferrets are too stinky!  Want a dog? sure. A reptile?  yep.  Amphibian? of course.  Non dog furry beast?  Not gonna happen.

Same!

The only thing I like about ferret ownership are the cute shirts they make for them. Not a good nough reason to have one, lol. 

5 hours ago, Wildcat said:

I have no advice, but I must say that when I saw the thread title, I thought for sure it was another Terabith story and that she found the source of her blue sequins!

(I don't know how to do the cute blue name thingy, sorry)

If you mean tag just type @ before the persons name and it should come up automatically.

• Like 1

Just now, Terabith said:

So, my oldest, whose life goal is to own a ferret, wants to know where in VA you're located.....

Well, no ferrets at my house now.  Sadly or not sadly, depending on one’s perspective.  But we are not far from you!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spryte said:

VA 😁

Well I'm in MD so not necessarily too far. But unfortunately for you but fortunately for everyone else involved the ferret has been reunited with its owner!!! He had been out all night and travelled about 20 houses to find our house. 

Fate was on our side. This family lives in our neighborhood a street away and we are the only people on this street that they know. We happened to meet them a few weeks back while on a walk and she asked us if we wanted some of her extra free school lunches because they were given to many. So, she delivered the food that day. So, once someone alerted her to my Nextdoor post she knew exactly what house it was.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

If you mean tag just type @ before the persons name and it should come up automatically.

Thanks!

Funny thing, though... I've tried that before and it just shows up as the @ and the person's name so I just gave up trying And yet, as I was literally typing that out, I got a drop down list of names of people to choose from to tag. I swear, tech just doesn't like me. LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Well I'm in MD so not necessarily too far. But unfortunately for you but fortunately for everyone else involved the ferret has been reunited with its owner!!! He had been out all night and travelled about 20 houses to find our house. 

Fate was on our side. This family lives in our neighborhood a street away and we are the only people on this street that they know. We happened to meet them a few weeks back while on a walk and she asked us if we wanted some of her extra free school lunches because they were given to many. So, she delivered the food that day. So, once someone alerted her to my Nextdoor post she knew exactly what house it was.

That is wonderful!! I just love a happy ending. 🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Wait!  My DD (10) says this story is not complete until we learn the ferret’s name!

Did the owner happen to tell you?  We must know.  

10 yr old priorities...

haha, well we named her Loki and they refuse to believe anything else 🙂  But to the rest of the world she is Bear.  

Here's a little more to the story,  the family stopped by our house today and left us a thank you goodie bag of treats.  Popcorn, peanuts, cookies, candy, and bananas because there has to be some sort of healthy in the mix.

• Like 7