Menu

Anyone have an exercise bike?

matrips

Dh is looking to get one since he usually runs but hasn’t been able to since plantar fasciitis. What do you like/not like and what are good features?  I’m thinking he’s best with a recumbent bike because he’s had two back surgeries and they are supposed to be easier on the back.  It’ll go in the garage and dh plans to be able to watch his tablet while cycling.

I bought a recumbent from Craig's List about two years ago. I like it a lot. Watching shows on his tablet is a great idea. I need to do that because it can get boring. I listen to my ipod, but a show sounds better.

Does the garage have a/c? I'm in Atlanta and in certain months it would be too hot to cycle in the garage.

I also had back surgery on 2016 and I've never felt anything negative from using the recumbent.

🙂

• Like 1

I do.  I have a hand me down from Buy Nothing that is nothing fancy but it's got a small foot print for our small space and I can hop on it whenever my activity/exercise minutes aren't where they need to be.  I would agree than a recumbent bike would be better for someone with back issues.  

• Like 1

I switched from running to an exercise bike due to foot injury.

We have two:

One is a recumbent Schwinn 270 (I think that’s the model).  It was a hand me down from FIL, but almost new when it came to us.  We have had it 4 years and I have used it approximately 5 days a week, more or less, for most of those 4 years.  I love it. Worth every penny that we didn’t spend! DH uses it often as well.  As long as it’s just the two of us, it’s fine.  Twice now, we’ve had a six month period with three different people heavily using it.  Each time, after about six months, the calibration had gotten “off” and DH had had to open it up and adjust the magnet to fix the resistance.  

We also have a spin bike style exercise bike that I loathe completely.  We, unfortunately, bought that one.  DH uses it but I cannot without pain.  It doesn’t work for short people.  Ditto the FitDesk that we gave away - also not usable for petite people (yep, I’m on the small side,  almost 5’ on a tall day).

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Spryte said:

One is a recumbent Schwinn 270 (I think that’s the model).  It was a hand me down from FIL, but almost new when it came to us.  We have had it 4 years and I have used it approximately 5 days a week, more or less, for most of those 4 years.  I love it. Worth every penny that we didn’t spend! DH uses it often as well.  As long as it’s just the two of us, it’s fine.  Twice now, we’ve had a six month period with three different people heavily using it.  Each time, after about six months, the calibration had gotten “off” and DH had had to open it up and adjust the magnet to fix the resistance.  

One of the ones for sale on FB marketplace here is a Schwinn 270.  How did you know the calibration was off (not sure what that means)?  And what is involved?  Dh is really not handy and can sometimes turn a simple project into a headache, but maybe I could do it?  So every 6 months of regular use it needs work?

2 hours ago, Alicia64 said:
2 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

I bought a recumbent from Craig's List about two years ago. I like it a lot.

What brand/model is it?  And any issues with it?  We are looking at used ones.

No ac in garage- but we do have a ceiling fan.  He used to run in the summer, just early morning, so I assume he’d do the same.

40 minutes ago, matrips said:

One of the ones for sale on FB marketplace here is a Schwinn 270.  How did you know the calibration was off (not sure what that means)?  And what is involved?  Dh is really not handy and can sometimes turn a simple project into a headache, but maybe I could do it?  So every 6 months of regular use it needs work?

Oh no, sorry.  It has lasted well for most of our four years.  When it’s only DH and me using it, we’re fine.  No issues. We both use it about 5 hours a week, 10 total, sometimes more.

But for about 6 mos in 2018 there were three people using it daily, and I think all the adjusting for height caused an issue, after about 6 mos of heavy use by all three of us.  DH talked to the company and learned how to fix it.  

It was fine for a few years - again with only DH and me using it.  Then DS decided he would use it as well, so again there were 3 of us using it daily (well, 5 days a week, about an hour each).  Same thing happened after about 6 mos of that.

It’s fixed again.  😊

There is a magnet that controls the resistance, and both times the magnet needed to be adjusted.  There’s a little dial inside, and depending on where it points, the resistance can change.  This last time, it was like having the resistance all the way up, impossible to pedal even at the lowest setting.  The first time, it was the opposite - no resistance at all.

We’ve had it since 2016, and those were our only two issues.  I think it was that both times we had an extra user, and all the sliding the seat up and down might have knocked the magnet.  

I would happily buy another one, if this bike really died.  I like it that much.  I lost about 25 lbs on it, and have kept them off for years.  

Edited by Spryte
  • Thanks 1

I have a recumbent I bought off amazon. It's not as heavy weight as what I was used to at the Y, but it's fine. Your things to watch are how the seat adjusts (if multiple users) and the slant of the seat back. Goodness knows why they slanted it back so awkwardly. Other reviews had mentioned it and it's no joke stupid and awkward. 

Spring is coming. Has he thought of getting an actual recumbent? I have one and I LOVE riding it. They come in all pricepoints, from entry level to ones with suspension that can fold to fit in the trunk of a small car. 

Fwiw, my plantar fascitis was improved by wearing shoes with better orthotics (molded at the running store, not premade), making sure my toes don't point while I sleep (toes up, blankets not tugging down), and rolling with frozen bottles of ice.