Menu

Why do brands create ridiculous, overpriced items?

Excelsior! Academy

There's also conspicuous consumption. Societies have often found ways to make a public display of just-plain-wealth through absurdly priced wearable objects. It's kind of like buying a fancy piece of original art: it's for shouting the message, "By the way, I'm the kind of person who has enough money to buy things at this price!"

Or maybe it's for money laundering. I've heard that some component of high-cost trade in 'the arts' is about money laundering.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, bolt. said:

There's also conspicuous consumption. Societies have often found ways to make a public display of just-plain-wealth through absurdly priced wearable objects. It's kind of like buying a fancy piece of original art: it's for shouting the message, "By the way, I'm the kind of person who has enough money to buy things at this price!"

This. I mean, how else are the 10am martini ladies at the country club going to know that you are richer than they are unless you have a purse with a banana hanging off of it? It's more than showing you have a ton of money: but that you have so much money that you decided to literally throw your money away on something like this. 

Nothing says, "Too much money to burn" better than plastic fruit, amirite? 

• Haha 4

Why do brands create ridiculous, overpriced items?

Well, before I clicked that link, I was thinking that the answer is obvious — those brands know I’m stuck at home, I’m bored, I’m not too bright, I’m spending hours aimlessly browsing online stores, and I want some new toys 😃... but that stuff was just plain idiotic! I don’t care how late at night it is and how bored I am; I do have some standards!

Almost worse than the fact that someone will actually buy that stuff, is the thought that there was a buyer at Nordstrom who saw it all and said, “Wow, that’s Klassy with a capital K” and ordered it.

It’s sad to think that there are some amazing designers of things that are actually beautiful, and they don’t have the nerve to approach the buyers at Nordstrom, but some lunatic with an idea for a miniature folding chair on a chain... well... yikes!

I have been sucked into quite a few informercial gadgets over the years — looking at you Malibu Pilates and the Chair Gym — so clearly I have a gullible streak, but that stuff at Nordstrom is so over-the-top (and crazy expensive) that it’s hard to imagine that anyone would buy it. 

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Caroline said:

Are you all saying that I am really the only person who wants the Louis Vuitton Lockheed C-5 plane bag?

Looks like it. 😉

Although, that straight-jacket coat thingamajig might actually be pretty warm, so there is that.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Caroline said:

Are you all saying that I am really the only person who wants the Louis Vuitton Lockheed C-5 plane bag?

Yes, in fact, you ARE the only one.  However, *I* am the one who wants the $1900 Tiffany’s silver yarn ball.  And they don’t make it anymore, which is completely wrong.

• Haha 4

This is perfect for this thread:   Have you guys seen any of these small electric composters meant to be a countertop appliance in your kitchen?  They are HUNDREDS of dollars for something you can literally do for free in a bucket.  It's insane!  Vitamix even has one!

OP here.  Just now catching up to the thread.  I will have to go look at the Oscars photo with the shrimp bag.  One part of me thinks the brands are pranking us, but another part thinks maybe there really are people with more money than sense.  I mean who would really carry a tiny, blinged out chair on a strap!?