Menu

Summer Plans or camps

What kind of camps, volunteering, work and other activities are your kids doing this summer?

we are considering outdoor camps, surfing and sports camps. Normally we would go to math camp or chess camp, but the ones I looked at are all online. My son is done with one for now. He needs some in person activities. 

Ds13 will be going to camp, scouts for 1week and surf camp so far

Dd18 has an online internship, with software company.

Edited by Swimmer1112

Dd19 will be taking a college class online this summer. It's the last Soph level computer science prerequisite so she can take any upper level classes following completion. 

Dd15 will be doing a rural healthcare summer camp. We just learned it changed to virtual, so it'll be virtual for her. We are signing her up for Driver's Ed this week, but that won't start until Sept. 

Dd14, no idea - probably same ol' same ol' hanging at home.

I haven't heard yet about Summer Reading Programs at the library; in the BeforeTimes, my younger kids loved volunteering with that. I don't know if there will be any in-person aspects this year.

• Like 1

Dd will be an intern at our denomination’s camp in NC for five weeks, then get a job here, learn to drive, and begin her AHG Stars and Stripes project. Also a quick run through on Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace for high schoolers.

Ds will spend one week at church camp, two weeks at Scout camp, a week on a youth group trip, help at VBS one week, and attend a football day camp for a week. He will spend lots of time at the pool, fishing, and hanging out outside with friends. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

One 16 yo is dancing at a really good summer intensive.

The other 16 yo is probably working. We're waiting to hear what position he gets offered through the not-a-state (please support statehood!) summer youth employment program. He mostly applied for various communications things.

• Like 1

My 18 yo graduating next week would have had a summer of volunteering at various 4-H camps and conferences but since everything was cancelled last year and seriously scaled back this year he decided to make himself essential and picked up a grocery store gig. Since May 2020 he has worked his way from bagger to manager of the frozen department. So he will be working full time until he goes to college in august. Not as much fun as his other plans but he is making some money and getting some life experience.

13 yo dd will be going to two different two week dance intensives at local studios and taking classes at her regular studio. She was never super focused on dance but as all her other activities dried up she still had access to dance so she has been all in on that. Not sure where we are headed with that. I would have planned for her to do some outdoor 4-H camps and church camp but without those things it has become all dance all the time. We were striving for a more well rounded experience but this is how things played out. 

So neither is doing what we would have planned pre Covid but they have both made the most of what they did have access to. 

• Like 2

17 year old graduating senior is working as a pool manager and swim coach. And swimming a lot himself. And planning his gap year. He also has the goal to work through a Beast Academy book 😄. He's a Math guy and likely Math major and he just thinks it will be fun. He never got to do BA because it came out at a level below where he was at the time. But he's used AOPS and loves it. He also wants to get an AOPS competition math book and work through the problems. 

14 year old rising sophomore will spend a lot of time at the pool. Hopefully he can work at the pool. He'll swim on the summer team. 

11 year old rising 7th grader will dive and swim at the summer pool. And she has a few weeks of summer dance lined up. 

• Like 2

17 yo DD will be working 3 part time jobs. 1 day/week each at the library (landscaping) and the local campground (mowing) and 2ish days/week at a local eatery/bakery. She will also be finishing up her junior year schoolwork because 2 of those jobs started already and there's no way she's going to get it all done by the end of May 😉

13 yo DD will be home with me and the 2 younger girls, probably doing some babysitting for me here and there.

Camps aren't a thing there - I wouldn't even begin to know where to look for them! Summers here are for relaxing and getting together with friends and for paid work. Since we have primarily an ag economy, there are lots of jobs for teens in the area.

The boys in college both have jobs/internships.

• Like 1

DD23 has taken a travel nursing assignment at a mass vaccine site across the country. She’s happy and is making great money while exploring the PNW as she tries to figure out her next steps. 

DD21, College junior/nursing major, will be working full-time as a nurse intern (works same job 1 day per week throughout school year).

In June DD16 is participating in Michigan Math & Science Scholars (organic chemistry) and Maya Inspektor’s college admissions essay workshop. In July and August she’ll be doing 8 weeks at two ballet summer intensives.

DD12 has her first lease horse, so she’ll be riding twice a week and volunteering at the barn a third day. She’ll also compete in rated shows for the first time this summer. I sort of hope she hates showing because it’s so expensive, but I’m pretty sure she’s going to love everything about it.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, fourisenough said:

In June DD16 is participating in Michigan Math & Science Scholars (organic chemistry) and Maya Inspektor’s college admissions essay workshop. In July and August she’ll be doing 8 weeks at two ballet summer intensives.

My DS16 is also doing MMSS this summer (Cryptography and Number Theory). You are the first person that I've seen mention the program. My older son took the college admissions essay workshop the summer after his junior year, and getting the common app essay ready to go over the summer was the best decision we ever made. It was really awesome. Hope your daughter likes it!

• Like 5

@Swimmer1112I don't know where you are located, but I think SBU Math Contest Camp is in person. Reasonable cost, Christian-flavor, activities outside as well as a variety of contest math & SET/chess/Wii games at night. 

Plan was for dd#2 & #3 to be lifeguards but the town pool didn't want them (definitely a popularity contest). They'll do a couple week stint lifeguarding at the neighborhood pool while staying at Grandma's house in Big City, then back home so dd#2 can work as a gymnastics assistant very part time. Guessing dd#3 will do whatever she normally does.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

@Swimmer1112I don't know where you are located, but I think SBU Math Contest Camp is in person. Reasonable cost, Christian-flavor, activities outside as well as a variety of contest math & SET/chess/Wii games at night. 

Plan was for dd#2 & #3 to be lifeguards but the town pool didn't want them (definitely a popularity contest). They'll do a couple week stint lifeguarding at the neighborhood pool while staying at Grandma's house in Big City, then back home so dd#2 can work as a gymnastics assistant very part time. Guessing dd#3 will do whatever she normally does.

Thanks, I will have to look into the camp.

Chances are that it is out of your geographical range, but if you want more info, you can PM me, @Swimmer1112. My kid went 4-5 years in a row. When she went the first year, I would never have predicted she'd end up a math major but she'd finishing her second year in college already. 

• Like 1

I found 22 days of day camps for my 14yos for June.  Wildlife vet camp, junior medical camp, culture camp, and rock climbing.

I intend to sign them up for lifeguard training, including updating their CPR / first aid certification that they got in June 2019.

Most likely there will be marching band camp in August and part of July.

Kid1 will do some school sport, probably either soccer or cross country.

Kid2 will do horse riding / volunteering at the barn.

We might get back into archery, as my kids have expressed an interest.

Both will do TaeKwonDo on days when they don't have other sports.

I told them they need to find some responsible gig, paid or volunteer, for the summer.  Not sure exactly what that will be.  Kid2 can probably do stuff for the barn where she rides.  Kid1 will have to start something new.

I expect that they'll do something organized in relation to dog training (our dog).

Would like to do a road trip in July.

I intend for them to do something academic, but I haven't finalized plans for that yet.

And as I say every year - time to master life skills / help more around the house.

• Like 1

We're visiting my parents and sister in West Tennessee for a week.  We'll visit some colleges on the way there and back.  We will also take some day trips around VA and NC to look at some colleges.  

I'm hoping my youngest will get her online driver's ed completed and get her permit and start accumulating driving hours.  Hopefully, oldest will practice driving and maybe work towards license.  

Oldest needs to do some SAT/ ACT studying and work on some essays for common applications.  Try to get as many applications in as possible.  

Hoping youngest can do online health this summer to free up a period so she can volunteer in the school library.  

• Like 1

Dd16 is doing Operation Catapult and is counselor at another camp in June. 4H fair related stuff is 10 days in July. Working (maybe) as a lifeguard at the indoor pool. She's certified but hasn't talked to them because she's gone all of June. She has some at home classes she needs to wrap up, as well.

Hopefully she'll be done with SAT in June. She's signed up for the Inspekor essay workshop in August in case she decides to apply to colleges this fall.

Edited by MamaSprout

DD13 will be volunteering at our local library at the kids area. As of right now she wants to major in elementary education so that is going to be perfect. She's really stepping out of her comfort zone and I'm so happy for her.

Other than that there will be a lot of horse riding and swimming. 

DD14 plans to take several dance classes and earn some money babysitting. I'll encourage her to do the library's summer reading program. Our library has expanded it to all ages, including adults. Other than that, I'm not sure what will be available this summer. I might have her do one of her high school electives to free up time in the fall.

Graduating DS plans to work part time with a handyman and do lots of yard work for neighbors. He'll probably sail, fence, and do summer swim team.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 12:47 PM, fourisenough said:

DD23 has taken a travel nursing assignment at a mass vaccine site across the country. She’s happy and is making great money while exploring the PNW as she tries to figure out her next steps. 

DD21, College junior/nursing major, will be working full-time as a nurse intern (works same job 1 day per week throughout school year).

DD12 has her first lease horse, so she’ll be riding twice a week and volunteering at the barn a third day. She’ll also compete in rated shows for the first time this summer. I sort of hope she hates showing because it’s so expensive, but I’m pretty sure she’s going to love everything about it.

Do you think this course is better taken as a rising senior or junior? 

My rising 10th grader wants to take, but I am wondering if it is better to just wait?

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

My rising 10th grader wants to take, but I am wondering if it is better to just wait?

Re: Maya Inspektor's college admissions essay workshop

My oldest son took this in the summer after his 11th grade year (rising senior), and it really is for working through a final version of your Common App/Coalition App admissions essay. Students who were only looking at Christian colleges worked on a similar (but different) essay for their admissions processes. I don't think it would make much sense for a rising 10th grader to write a college admissions essay. You would want them to have matured in their writing over most of their high school career. They would also benefit from having a lot more life experience and a sense of their passions which should come through in their essay. The summer class is really just about prepping that admissions essay, it's not a general writing class. 

It was an awesome experience for my son, though, so I highly recommend it for rising seniors!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UmmIbrahim said:

Re: Maya Inspektor's college admissions essay workshop

My oldest son took this in the summer after his 11th grade year (rising senior), and it really is for working through a final version of your Common App/Coalition App admissions essay. Students who were only looking at Christian colleges worked on a similar (but different) essay for their admissions processes. I don't think it would make much sense for a rising 10th grader to write a college admissions essay. You would want them to have matured in their writing over most of their high school career. They would also benefit from having a lot more life experience and a sense of their passions which should come through in their essay. The summer class is really just about prepping that admissions essay, it's not a general writing class. 

It was an awesome experience for my son, though, so I highly recommend it for rising seniors!

Thanks so much!  I will put in the plans for when she is a rising senior.  

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Definitely wait. It is meant to be done just before college apps are submitted. Goal is to walk out with a polished common app essay. 

• Like 1